It's official. Projectors are obsolete 750" OLED coming this fall from Sony! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2063 Old 09-09-2011, 11:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Guys. Its late and only a quick post. Sony was demonstrating these without the light blocking bottom flaps aatached. They attached them for me, and ergo no more bottom light leakage from the outside. when adjusted properly and easilly the unit is held on your face and no pressure is exerted on your nose. Obviously when adjusted properly you see the two panels as one large panel provide you have both eyes open. Each eye sees one panel but your brain presents the view as one twice as wide panel.

The picture quality was excellent but the large panel does not present a top to bootom side to side image filing your vision field of view. ou see pitch black abobe and below the panel image and to either side. So you can visualize, pretend you are in a theater but sitting towards the back. Definately not like you are sitting just in front of the screen or even say halfway back. The field is what you would see sitting about 2/3rds back.

The ear pieces can be slid towards the back on your head and you could wear another set of ear phones. You can remove some screws and completely remove the ear pieces but you would likely void your warranty by doing so. The ear pieces are not intended for removal, but since they are attached during factory assembly, they could be removed by disassenbly and reassembly.

I am keeping my order in and buying a pair. They fill a need for me (watching in bed while my wife is asleep, etc). The PQ was fine.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2063 Old 09-09-2011, 11:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 358
G-rex. You mail box is full. Please clean some of it out.

Guys. Please do not ask me for a pm with details. Please send me your full name, email and phone number and a time and day next week you would like me to call.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #363 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
m. zillch have i say already that you are really anoying? everyone have understand you dont like this gadget so why you keep coming?

i think only Chronoptimist bother to read your posts, i give up because is always the same thing. basically you say in every post you do that this device is a crap.

i think you cant enjoy any tech because all have flaws...

and is funny why you only care about negative previews, for you they are correct but the others (and they are lot of them) positive previews you just dont care...is funny indeed.

PS: i keep think the cnet guy that did preview of sony hmz-t1 dont know how to use the glasses because is the only guy that have say what he say
post #364 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Guys. Its late and only a quick post. Sony was demonstrating these without the light blocking bottom flaps aatached. They attached them for me, and ergo no more bottom light leakage from the outside. when adjusted properly and easilly the unit is held on your face and no pressure is exerted on your nose. Obviously when adjusted properly you see the two panels as one large panel provide you have both eyes open. Each eye sees one panel but your brain presents the view as one twice as wide panel.

The picture quality was excellent but the large panel does not present a top to bootom side to side image filing your vision field of view. ou see pitch black abobe and below the panel image and to either side. So you can visualize, pretend you are in a theater but sitting towards the back. Definately not like you are sitting just in front of the screen or even say halfway back. The field is what you would see sitting about 2/3rds back.

The ear pieces can be slid towards the back on your head and you could wear another set of ear phones. You can remove some screws and completely remove the ear pieces but you would likely void your warranty by doing so. The ear pieces are not intended for removal, but since they are attached during factory assembly, they could be removed by disassenbly and reassembly.

I am keeping my order in and buying a pair. They fill a need for me (watching in bed while my wife is asleep, etc). The PQ was fine.

very tks for the information but your last part make be a little dissapoint. "The PQ was fine".
what you mean by that? the image quality in 2D is only average? i have a panasonic 46G20 so i would want something at least with same IQ...do you think sony hmz-t1is the one?
post #365 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

The picture quality was excellent but the large panel does not present a top to bootom side to side image filing your vision field of view.

You must have missed this part of his post. (italics and bold mine)
post #366 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

You must have missed this part of his post. (italics and bold mine)

true. thanks. xD
post #367 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
So a 45 degree field of view would mean that the viewing distance would equal the screen width? So for a 120" wide screen, the distance would be 10 feet? Thus the 750" equals a 63' viewing distance.
post #368 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

A show of hands, how many people when they look into a camcorder's electronic viewfinder eyepiece (not the LCD panel) are duped into thinking you are looking at giant screen TV floating several meters away, and not a little <1 inch screen with a plastic magnifying lens in front of it?

Since you claim to potentially have been 'into 3D' longer than some folks have been alive, do you remember this little device called a ViewMaster?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View-Master

It's still available to this date, but I remember using them from back in the early '70's. You know what? I never thought of those images as 1 cm slides 2" from my face. They produced (especially for the time) remarkable stereoscopic 3D images that were way better than looking at just regular photographs. My parents bought a lot of the 'scenic' and 'tourist destination' reels for our ViewMasters (along with quite a few Disney productions. It's a pity that even though they had 3D VM reels of some of their well known movies, they didn't actually film the movies in 3D).

Can't wait to try these HMD's for myself.

Max
post #369 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 369
OT:

I really miss my ViewMaster. I used to own hundreds of titles.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #370 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Wow, I haven't thought about the View-Master in a long time. I remember we had one when I was a kid. We had a large plastic case with at least a hundred of the 'tourist attraction' disks. But my favorite was the three disk set from one episode of 'Lost in Space'. I still remember how vibrant the colors were and the depth of the 3D effect.

I will definitely have to try to remember to see if my Mom still has it when I visit Minnesota at Christmas.

After hearing more reviews of the Sony, my interest is increasing. I am equally interested in being able to create my own content. Are there any decent, relatively inexpensive pocket-sized 3d cameras out there? Something that would do both video and stills at a resolution that would be a good match for the Sony? And what are the potential file format issues?

Thanks,
Duane
post #371 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

You know what? I never thought of those images as 1 cm slides 2" from my face. They produced (especially for the time) remarkable stereoscopic 3D images that were way better than looking at just regular photographs.

And part of what makes them remarkable is you are viewing film, not video, so it has a superior picture to I would assume even multi-thousand dollar (military) HMDs, in some regards, exactly in the sense that a CVS disposable film camera (for a few bucks) can outclass many multi-hundred dollar DSLRs in some regards. [exposure latitude, shutter lag, LPPH resolution in some cases, lack of video noise, compression artifacts, aliasing noise]

Yes, I actually own a Viewmaster. They are also a great way to get a first surface mirror with binocular viewing width, if you smash one open. [The reason I keep one in storage, should I ever need such a thing.]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #372 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Mark, More details on the picture quality please. It should be better then any projector right?

Also if your calling people does that mean you have a price and possible shipping date? thanks.
post #373 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_sousa View Post

m. zillch have i say already that you are really anoying?

Yes, at least twice so far, it doesn't phase me in the least, and I'm sure there will be more.

You know what I find most annoying? Fanboys who blindly accept manufacturer's press releases literally, eat up everything they say, hook, line, and sinker, and shun the open discussion of the pros and cons of new technologies like this product, which can "do no wrong" in their minds. They seem to not have the ability to keep an objective view that Sony, like most, might sugar coat and glorify their product descriptions, but I'm sure that will continue throughout this thread as well...

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #374 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

What are you watching dear?

Oh, just some low-budget, yet compelling drama about a struggle of a young woman or... women...oh, I don't know, honey, there's not much plot so far...let me keep watching and find out, alright dear?
post #375 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

But that is just the thing m zillch you are not coming off as objective either. You seem determined to discount the possibility that the product can be anywhere near as good as Sony claims on any level. Even after the numerous reviews stating how nice the actual viewing xperience is you latched onto the one negative review as if it were the absolute truth.

I think that it will be a nice product based on all the impressions I've read. I don't think it will make me feel like I'm watching anything bigger than my 120 inch scope screen but I do look forward to the ghost free 3d and immersiveness of not seeing anything else around me while getting good to excellent picture quality. I just hope it works well with Nvidia 3D Vision!
post #376 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Yes, at least twice so far, it doesn't phase me in the least, and I'm sure there will be more.

You know what I find most annoying? Fanboys who blindly accept manufacturer's press releases literally, eat up everything they say, hook, line, and sinker, and shun the open discussion of the pros and cons of new technologies like this product, which can "do no wrong" in their minds. They seem to not have the ability to keep an objective view that Sony, like most, might sugar coat and glorify their product descriptions, but I'm sure that will continue throughout this thread as well...

you say people here in this topic are fanboys but you dont see anyone saying that this gadget will be perfect.
read all post and tell me where someone saying that sony hmz-t1 is perfect? you cant...but i can see easy one guy that only can find cons that only care about negative preview (CNET) even existing much more positive previews/impressions.
post #377 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegamer View Post

But that is just the thing m zillch you are not coming off as objective either. You seem determined to discount the possibility that the product can be anywhere near as good as Sony claims on any level. Even after the numerous reviews stating how nice the actual viewing xperience is you latched onto the one negative review as if it were the absolute truth.

So far, of all the review sources I've seen, the CNET reviewer, Geoffrey Morrison, who is a Technical Editor of Home Theater magazine, a Contributing Technical Editor of Sound+Vision magazine, Senior Tech Editor at HDGuru.com, and writes reviews and articles for BigPictureBigSound, Residential Systems magazine, e-Gear magazine, is NIST and ISF trained, and owns a projection TV himself (130" screen) seems to be the most credible in my mind, but that's me. People are obviosly free to believe whoever they want.

post #378 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess my ISF, THX, Control4 certification, experience in designing commercial and home theatre, writing for 3 magazines, being a CEDIA trainer, an HAA and CEA member means nothing

my home theatre

post #379 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegamer View Post

I think that it will be a nice product based on all the impressions I've read. I don't think it will make me feel like I'm watching anything bigger than my 120 inch scope screen but I do look forward to the ghost free 3d and immersiveness of not seeing anything else around me while getting good to excellent picture quality. I just hope it works well with Nvidia 3D Vision!

It will work extremely well with 3DTV Play, not 3D Vision. I am already thinking about upgrading my PC for it. (but there are supposed to be new Nvidia cards early 2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I guess my ISF, THX, Control4 certification, experience in designing commercial and home theatre, writing for 3 magazines, being a CEDIA trainer, an HAA and CEA member means nothing

Those are just letters!
post #380 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you say people here in this topic are fanboys but you dont see anyone saying that this gadget will be perfect.
read all post and tell me where someone saying that sony hmz-t1 is perfect? you cant....

That's an awfully childish and rather desperate strawman, not even worthy of comment.

I have no interest in battling with you since it would seem to me English is not your native tongue:
Quote:

i keep think the cnet guy that did preview of sony hmz-t1 dont know how to use the glasses because is the only guy that have say what he say

Feel free to rant away and continue to call me "annoying", etc., as many more times as you'd like; I don't care. I'll be ignoring it and not responding to you any further.

post #381 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

my home theatre

post #382 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey View Post

These do eliminate the communal experience and our family does watch many movies together so that value cannot be underestimated. These are equivalent to taking the family to the movies but everyone watches the same movie in a different theater. While no one should be talking, I do like to look over at the people I am with to see how they are enjoying the movie and also hearing everyone laugh or react together.

Solution: Turn down volume on all the HMZ-T1 units, connect speakers to the source and turn their volume up. Everyone in the room is able to listen to the sound track as well as the laugh track provided by the people watching with you.
post #383 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Yep, and you are still using training wheels on your bicycle David.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #384 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Solution: Turn down volume on all the HMZ-T1 units, connect speakers to the source and turn their volume up..

^There could be lip synch errors since the HMZ-T1's processor box, which may have a small amount of lag time, is being bypassed for the audio yet not the video.

I also commented in an earlier post that even subtle , uncouscious head motion may cause issues since visual perception and auditory prception wouldn't jive, but I admit that's just conjecture on my part.

post #385 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post

Wow, I haven't thought about the View-Master in a long time. I remember we had one when I was a kid. We had a large plastic case with at least a hundred of the 'tourist attraction' disks. But my favorite was the three disk set from one episode of 'Lost in Space'. I still remember how vibrant the colors were and the depth of the 3D effect.

I will definitely have to try to remember to see if my Mom still has it when I visit Minnesota at Christmas.

After hearing more reviews of the Sony, my interest is increasing. I am equally interested in being able to create my own content. Are there any decent, relatively inexpensive pocket-sized 3d cameras out there? Something that would do both video and stills at a resolution that would be a good match for the Sony? And what are the potential file format issues?

Thanks,
Duane

You can try out Fuji RealPix W3 3D. 2 lenses in one camera. 3D photo is quite good but only at max ISO 200. ISO 400 and above is too noisy. It too can capture 720p video but you need a very fast SDCard to prevent buffer overrun. Video quality is OK under sunlight but don't expect good video indoor.
post #386 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
just ignore him. He has added "zilch" to the topic anyway. I always wonder what kind of sad pathetic people post NUMEROUS times throughout the day about something they have no interest in and dislike without having seen it!?

Maybe I won't like it at all either, but at least i'll try it first before finding every little negative thing to bitch about first.
post #387 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 09:13 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

^There could be lip synch errors since the HMZ-T1's processor box, which may have a small amount of lag time, is being bypassed for the audio yet not the video.

Right - I don't think a separate set of earphones (or normal HT speakers) would work well - unless that processor allows for customizable delay. But the only way to figure this out would be to try it.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #388 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 AM

anyone have more impressions about sony hmz-t1 from CEDIA?

PS: english is not my native language (portuguese is) so ignore mistakes and stupid things i maybe say guys. xD
post #389 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Yep, and you are still using training wheels on your bicycle David.

I don't believe the hype of bicycle because there is one dude at the end of the street told me that bicycle sucks

my home theatre

post #390 of 2063 Old 09-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I don't believe the hype of bicycle because there is one dude at the end of the street told me that bicycle sucks

Bicycles are just like tricycles - but with one wheel missing.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page