It's official. Projectors are obsolete 750" OLED coming this fall from Sony! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2063 Old 09-11-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 342
It makes me sick to read some of the posts here. The Sony people are not lazy and neither was JVC in not including a 4K input. They are good people who care about their products.

The Sony demos, put it on and look for a few minutes and then next in line, on and off and adjust them for each viewer's head and eyes, just don't permit on and off with the bottom flaps attached. They probably wouldnt stand up to the wear for 8 or 9 hours of on and off. 9 hours of such on and off would be about the equivalent I am guessing to a few years of really heavy use. The rough handling I suspect could damage the flaps. If you buy them, you will adjust them for your head and will quickly learn how to use them and take them on and off without damaging them.

The show is for dealers and press. The show is not designed for consumer demos by which a potential buyer can decide. That's a job for dealers and stores-to allow you a full demo. If you buy without a demo for yourself, do it based on what people you trust, that have had a proper demo, conclude. Banter here by people who have not had a chance to use them, is just that, banter. WTF cares what you think? After you try them, tell us what you think. We all care about such observations. They are then useful to us in making a buying decision.

If you think a product is too expensive for you, that's fine but it has no bearing on whether someone else thinks its worthwhile or not. Everyone's economic situation is different and what they buy is their decision. All I care about is whether I want or need them, and whether I think they are worth the money for that want and need, and then whether I can afford them at the cost of not getting something else I might want.

I made mine, I wish Sony could sell them for $14.95, I would save a lot of money and have the big balance to spend on something else. I wish they could run on rechargeable batteries and I could wear them on a plane. It would increase my want and use. But it is what it is. For me it is worth it, but that's based on my values and wants and not yours.

The only comments by me that are of any value are those sharing product knowledge, reporting on how they feel to wear, and the PQ they provide.

If you were Sony's product manager and it was your responsibility to demo the product to thousands of visitors to the Sony booth who wanted to briefly experience the product, you would have done it the same way they did. A spot was assigned. Better booth design and planning could have taken care of the bright light overhead but its a show and something the designers of the booth just overlooked. They aren't perfect but you are? Right.

Sorry for the rant. And I am not talking here as an AVS representative, just as a forum member and consumer.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2063 Old 09-11-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 360
avswilier, Chronoptimist; thank you for the info, I'll keep those info in mind.

evnow, I'm wearing prescription glasses (and have a very wide face) and I have zero problem with the HMZ-T1 even with top and bottom poofy leather light blocker thingies installed. It also depends on your glasses frame though. I'm pretty sure if you're wearing aviator-type glasses from Erik Estrada's CHiPs (remember that TV series?) that won't fit the bottom light blocker doodads

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #453 of 2063 Old 09-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

The show is for dealers and press. The show is not designed for consumer demos by which a potential buyer can decide.

What I'd do is to make sure influential media people get good demos - like making sure the cnet guy got a good demo. For new products like this, that is very imortant.

Ofcourse, that is easier said than done - you can't get 100% of demos to influencers, right. They may not identify themselfs or you may be talking to someone else etc.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #454 of 2063 Old 09-11-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

It also depends on your glasses frame though. I'm pretty sure if you're wearing aviator-type glasses from Erik Estrada's CHiPs (remember that TV series?) that won't fit the bottom light blocker doodads

Thanks for the info. I wear fairly small frames, so should work fine.

Infact, if need be one could always get a small extra pair just for using with the HMZ-T1.

post #455 of 2063 Old 09-11-2011, 06:27 PM

Liked: 11
All things aside, i really think this is a step in the wrong direction, as i still feel we should experience things togheter... This is just another way for company's to get your 'sole' attention imho.

I guess it could come in handy for people on the road though, or travelling for a long time... still, in a way i hope this never catches on too big..

That being said, why 1080p ? seriously? watching from millimeters away ?? why ???
post #456 of 2063 Old 09-11-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^

????????????

1. it's NOT designed for on-the-road use
2. the closer the display to the eye, the higher resolution it needs. As I mentioned ad nauseam, it does NOT feel like a display millimetres away from the eyes

my home theatre

post #457 of 2063 Old 09-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

OK, so so far here are the list that I'll be checking:

1. 2D performance (both 16:9 and 21:9)
2. Menu function (especially brightness)

anything else you guys want me to check? Please add to the list what you guys want me to check and if possible I'll do so. I will have about an hour to play with the unit (I already made an appointment this past Saturday that I'll be coming back on Tuesday at 9:30am at store opening time).

Can you check if there is control for Color and Tint. Also, is there a RGB gain/cut control? What if one panel is brighter than the other. Is there an option to control individual panel?
post #458 of 2063 Old 09-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
evnow, I'm wearing prescription glasses (and have a very wide face) and I have zero problem with the HMZ-T1 even with top and bottom poofy leather light blocker thingies installed. It also depends on your glasses frame though. I'm pretty sure if you're wearing aviator-type glasses from Erik Estrada's CHiPs (remember that TV series?) that won't fit the bottom light blocker doodads
Another question about prescription glasses. I hate to admit it, but I'm . . . well . . . in my mid-50s. I wear progressive glasses where the top bit is for far distance, the middle portion is for middle distance, and the bottom portion is for close up reading. Which area of my glasses would give the sharpest image when looking at the image in this head mounted display? I would assume if the image appears to be floating somewhere in excess of ten feet in front of you, it would be the top portion, but additional clarification is always appreciated.

[Note: In my media room, I sit about 12' from my 119" 16:9 screen and the picture looks the sharpest in the top quarter of my lenses and acceptable in the top half.]

Thanks,
Duane
post #459 of 2063 Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
I wear progressive glasses where the top bit is for far distance, the middle portion is for middle distance, and the bottom portion is for close up reading. Which area of my glasses would give the sharpest image when looking at the image in this head mounted display?
I use single non-progressive (long distance correction) glasses when watching the projector. If I use progressive the screen gets out of focus towards the bottom ...

post #460 of 2063 Old 09-11-2011, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 342
At shows, manufacturers often conduct press conferences and special showings just for the press. Occasionally in the middle of a show, a theater will be closed to the public for a few hours so that a special press showing can be conducted. During normal booth hours, when lines are long, a line won't be stopped so the press can be afforded special treatment. The best the press can hope for is VIP entry without having to wait in a long line. I am sure that Sony will send targeted press members samples of the unit before it is piublically released so that readers can read the views at release time and hopefully buy it because HE liked it. Many consumers live in fear that they really don't know and rely on the opinions of so called press experts. He liked it, so therefore I am buying something good. Some press guys are experts and their opinions are respected by the industry. Many so called experts who the public relie on really are almost clueless.

One famous audio mass market company commonly gets a review from some reviewer that say works for the Chicago Tribune, and quotes in all their ads that their sqawk box can give you the sound of a true high end audio system and fooled him into thinking he was at symphony hall. Put a few 1 inch tweeters in small boxes and shove all the mid range and base out of a small box. IM distortion, never heard of it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #461 of 2063 Old 09-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

I would ask the optician to custom make 2 lenses that will correct the long distance and make sure they are cutting the lens as flat as possible according to the HMD lens size and stick it on the HMD using blue tack. I use this technique for my 3D glasses.
post #462 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I still don't think Sony was doing themselves a favor by having their product not at its best. Because it was a show primarily for dealers and press, wouldn't it be even more important to impress these people? Because it is such a new/strange concept for many people, the first impressions are so important to help people get over their skepticism. If you are going to claim that your device will simulate viewing a 750" screen, then you better do your best to back that up. I don't think anyone can say that that demo was the best Sony had to offer.

I read about the logistical issues with running the unit with the blockers. However should the goal be to have 100% of the people see your product working at 50% of its potential? Or have 50% of the people see your product at 100% of its potential. I am totally ignorant when it comes to the purpose of these shows, so maybe the answer is the former.

In the end hopefully all of this won't matter.
post #463 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post
I use single non-progressive (long distance correction) glasses when watching the projector. If I use progressive the screen gets out of focus towards the bottom ...
I guess I could do something like that for this kind of display. I already have special pair of computer glasses I keep at work that have no long distance correction so everything close up like my computer monitor and things on my desk are in focus everywhere within the lenses.

I don't currently use a special pair like you are talking about with my projector, because my projector is my main TV. I have a computer monitor on a swing arm in front of my couch that I use at least 80% of the time while the projector is on and I can't read the computer monitor with the long distance portion of my glasses. I guess since you can't multi-task with this head mounted display, a pair of specialized glasses would be acceptable with them.

Thanks for the feedback,
Duane
post #464 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

1. it's NOT designed for on-the-road use

While certainly not designed for air travel, I would have to imagine plenty of road warriors would consider taking this and a portable player or PS3 on their travels. When I used to do consulting and was stuck in a hotel for 3 weeks at a time I'd always take my Dreamcast and I'd have to carry a special took kit just to disassemble all the hook ups on the back of the hotel's tv so I could plug in. Who wouldn't want to lay down in bed at the end of a long day on the road and watch a movie with this puppy vs. watching some crappy movie in SD on the hotel's tv?
post #465 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Very true.

When I wrote not for on-the-road, I literally meant not ofr on the road (ie car ride, airplane ride) usage. I will bring my portable BD player and HMZ-T1 once I get to the destination.

my home theatre

post #466 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

I would ask the optician to custom make 2 lenses that will correct the long distance and make sure they are cutting the lens as flat as possible according to the HMD lens size and stick it on the HMD using blue tack. I use this technique for my 3D glasses.

Interesting - photos ? BTW, ideally the glasses should have the same curvature as the 3D glasses, right, instead of being as flat as possible ?

To go a little OT, there are some online prescription glass vendors who charge just 10% of what a retail shop does. I use them to get extra pairs and have found them to be indistinguishable from my glasses got from local retail places like Costco etc.

post #467 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

what are you watching dear?

+1 lol
post #468 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post

To go a little OT, there are some online prescription glass vendors who charge just 10% of what a retail shop does. I use them to get extra pairs and have found them to be indistinguishable from my glasses got from local retail places like Costco etc.

I've been getting my glasses from those online places for the past 6 years and everytime I received it, I piad an extra $5 to Wallyworld to check the accuracy (PD and strength) and they've been 100% accurate thus far. $50 vs $400 (at Costco)... yeah, I'll go with the $50 for the same quality. and use the difference to buy more blu-rays.

my home theatre

post #469 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

It reminds me of sci fi movies, where people lock themselves inside and retreat into virtual worlds

even husbands and wives just stay in separate rooms and meet each other virtually.

healthy - no.

inevitable to some extent - yes.

I for one won't buy it as I prefer to curl up with my wife in our theater room and enjoy a movie together!

Maybe it would be good for traveling only though - also putting tiny screen close to your eye does not make it 750" equivalent.

As someone said you can hold your cell phone close to your eye now.

3D on my 160" HP screen I don't feel will be beat by this - I can see things come into the room and literally fall into our laps! - this device could NEVER provide that experience - of things floating in front of you so REAL you reach out into the air and try to touch them!
post #470 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:

They are not on the market yet. Dealer pricing is not known, MSRP is, $799. I went back and tried these again today and I like them even more. Comfortable and a nice picture.

Why am I buying this?. I live with my wife. Our viewing tastes differ quite a bit. I can be with our family (her and our big big dog), in the same room while she is watching something I am not really interested in and watch what I wamt with the content each is watching not disturbing the other. In bed when she is watching designer challenge or whatever, I can watch the game. Its will be like putting my head in a separate room. It will raise the quality of our lives. Do you get it?

I have a black pit theater. The glasses put you in an even blacker pit. It removes the room. The screen hangs in complete darkness. Very cool. No, it is not as immersive as sitting 13 feet from my 110" D 1.78. Its more like sitting 16 ft back. But the PQ is very good. Detailed comparisons re such things as 3D depth will have to wait.

We are Brothers From Another Mother ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #471 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It makes me sick to read some of the posts here. The Sony people are not lazy and neither was JVC in not including a 4K input. They are good people who care about their products..

The Sony demos, put it on and look for a few minutes and then next in line, on and off and adjust them for each viewer's head and eyes, just don't permit on and off with the bottom flaps attached. They probably wouldnt stand up to the wear for 8 or 9 hours of on and off. 9 hours of such on and off would be about the equivalent I am guessing to a few years of really heavy use. The rough handling I suspect could damage the flaps. If you buy them, you will adjust them for your head and will quickly learn how to use them and take them on and off without damaging them.

The show is for dealers and press. The show is not designed for consumer demos by which a potential buyer can decide. That's a job for dealers and stores. To allow you a full demo. If you buy without a demo for yourself, do it based on what people you trust, that have had a proper demo, conclude. Banter here by people who have not had a chance to use them, is just that, banter. WTF cares what you think? After you try them, tell us what you think. We all care about such observations. They are then useful to us in masking a buying decision.

If you think a product is too expensive for you, that's fine but it has no bearing on whether someone else thinks its worthwhile or not. Everyone's economic situation is different and what they buy is their decision.All I care about is whether I want or need them, and whether I think they are worth the money for that want and need, and the whether I can afford them at the cost of not getting something else I might want.

I made mine, I wish Sony could sell them for $14.95, I would save a lot of money and have the big balance to spend on something else. I wish they could run on rechargeable batteries and I could wear them on a plane. It would increase my want and use. But it is what it is. For me it is worth it, but that's based on my values and wants and not yours.

The only comments by me that are of any value is sharing product knowledge, reporting on how they feel to wear, and the PQ they provide.

If you were Sony's product manager and it was your responsibility to demo the product to thousands of visitors to the Sony booth who wanted to briefly experience the product, you would have done it the same way they did. a spot was assigned. Better booth design and planning could have taken care of the bright light overhead but its a show and something the designers of the booth just overlooked. They aren't perfect but you are. Right.

Sorry for the rant. And I am not talking here as an AVS representative, just as a forum member and consumer.

excellent post ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #472 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:

OK, so so far here are the list that I'll be checking:

1. 2D performance (both 16:9 and 21:9)
2. Menu function (especially brightness)

anything else you guys want me to check? Please add to the list what you guys want me to check and if possible I'll do so. I will have about an hour to play with the unit (I already made an appointment this past Saturday that I'll be coming back on Tuesday at 9:30am at store opening time).

Please let us know about the menu features, they didnt talk about those at all in the press releases. Toggles for things like smooth motion, dynamic contrast, hz selection, stuff like that. If there are no options for smooth motion try and determine if it is permanently turned on, Samsung has done this before.
post #473 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

It reminds me of sci fi movies, where people lock themselves inside and retreat into virtual worlds

even husbands and wives just stay in separate rooms and meet each other virtually.

healthy - no.

I for one won't buy it as I prefer to curl up with my wife in our theater room and enjoy a movie together!

Maybe it would be good for traveling only though - also putting tiny screen close to your eye does not make it 750" equivalent.

3D on my 160" HP screen I don't feel will be beat by this - I can see things come into the room and literally fall into our laps! - this device could NEVER provide that experience - of things floating in front of you so REAL you reach out into the air and try to touch them!

this is for personal use. is like saying headphones are anti-social because only one can listen.
when i see a movie i dont want people talk and make sounds...this is the reason why i hate going to cinema.
for someone who see movies and play games almost alone this is a must if do what sony say.

3D is the strong of this device so i think will beat easy any 3D advice in market because will not have any crosstalk and have OLED
post #474 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 01:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

healthy - no.

This HMD is part of a meager beginning to a different kind of interactive entertainment, but it's capable of so much more. You imagine the dark side of VR - isolation and social breakdown. Like cars, alcohol, sports, you name it, there can be a positive side and a negative side.

Imagine you and your wife are sick of sitting on a couch and watching other people have a fantastic experience. All in all, that's what you do with the typical movie. VR will allow you to be a part of that experience, and take any role you choose.

With corneal implants the possibilities are incredible. You could turn a regular hike up a mountain trail into an epic adventure. Learn another language simultaneously, with a virtual tour guide detailing the history of the trail in Italian. Study the various forms of local wildlife. Train yourself to be wary of the dangerous animals. Take geocaching to the next level. Study the geology without disturbing the environment.

Go sailing without even knowing how, learn the whole way through the trip.

Scuba dive without even touching water, explore depths no human could survive, study shipwrecks and underwater caves with no fear of drowning.

Explore the moon. Explore the Andes.

Sitting down and watching a movie seems like the dark past to me. My children might ask, how did you ever sit still so long, watching other people have fun?
post #475 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

Can you check if there is control for Color and Tint. Also, is there a RGB gain/cut control? What if one panel is brighter than the other. Is there an option to control individual panel?

I expect that tolerances will be tight enough that this will not be a problem. And it's not like our eyes are perfectly matched either. With most people, each eye sees color and brightness slightly differently.

Quote:

That is a really interesting idea, and something I'll have to ask my optician to do when I go in for my next eye test.

Quote:

healthy - no.

What could possibly go wrong?

Quote:

It absolutely won't replace that experience. But sometimes I want to go any play a game by myself, or watch a film that other people don't want to watch. It's less intrusive, potentially a much better display for gaming on, doesn't eat up bulb time, and time spent by yourself can sometimes be a good thing.

Quote:

Yes, but putting optics in front of that small screen to throw the image back 10-20ft and magnify the image, does create a large picture. You have to remember that a projector effectively does this by using 0.6-0.7" panels and optics to enlarge the image.

Quote:

We'll see. With one screen per eye, this should provide the best 3D experience available to date at any price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post

Please let us know about the menu features, they didnt talk about those at all in the press releases. Toggles for things like smooth motion, dynamic contrast, hz selection, stuff like that. If there are no options for smooth motion try and determine if it is permanently turned on, Samsung has done this before.

I very much doubt that Sony would do this. In fact, I'm not even sure that this uses motionflow at all. With OLED, it certainly wouldn't be necessary to improve motion sharpness.

Sony's motionflow is generally the least intrusive of all the interpolation technologies I've seen though. It mostly avoids that sped-up video appearance, keeping a filmic look while improving motion sharpness and smoothness. (less judder on pans) The only times I've seen that sped-up look is when the shot has been slowed down and displayed at a lower framerate. (like you might see in some action films, which I generally don't watch)

I must say that I do look forward to seeing how 24p looks on the HMZ-T1 without any kind of interpolation (whether it's simply disabled, or not available at all) as I still found the judder to be intrusive on CRT (48/72Hz) and preferred to have some interpolation to help with that.
post #476 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

I expect that tolerances will be tight enough that this will not be a problem. And it's not like our eyes are perfectly matched either. With most people, each eye sees color and brightness slightly differently.

That is a really interesting idea, and something I'll have to ask my optician to do when I go in for my next eye test.

What could possibly go wrong?

It absolutely won't replace that experience. But sometimes I want to go any play a game by myself, or watch a film that other people don't want to watch. It's less intrusive, potentially a much better display for gaming on, doesn't eat up bulb time, and time spent by yourself can sometimes be a good thing.

Yes, but putting optics in front of that small screen to throw the image back 10-20ft and magnify the image, does create a large picture. You have to remember that a projector effectively does this by using 0.6-0.7" panels and optics to enlarge the image.

We'll see. With one screen per eye, this should provide the best 3D experience available to date at any price.

I very much doubt that Sony would do this. In fact, I'm not even sure that this uses motionflow at all. With OLED, it certainly wouldn't be necessary to improve motion sharpness.

Sony's motionflow is generally the least intrusive of all the interpolation technologies I've seen though. It mostly avoids that sped-up video appearance, keeping a filmic look while improving motion sharpness and smoothness. (less judder on pans) The only times I've seen that sped-up look is when the shot has been slowed down and displayed at a lower framerate. (like you might see in some action films, which I generally don't watch)

I must say that I do look forward to seeing how 24p looks on the HMZ-T1 without any kind of interpolation (whether it's simply disabled, or not available at all) as I still found the judder to be intrusive on CRT (48/72Hz) and preferred to have some interpolation to help with that.

Maybe I did not explain this well enough. When you are sitting in a darkened theater, you can actually see things float in the air several feet away from the screen.

In other words something may look like it is right near your hand if you reach out!

With these glasses you will have no frame of reference - so any 3D image will just stick out into the blackness, you will not be able to see some text floating next to your hand, or a bullet fly off the screen past the family pet etc,,,

Does that make sense? 3D on a huge high gain screen makes things appear to float in the real world, interacting with the room and giving you a sense of depth that I am not sure these will replicate, as you will be in blackness with no frame of reference as to how the 3D is protruding into the actual room.
post #477 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I did not explain this well enough. When you are sitting in a darkened theater, you can actually see things float in the air several feet away from the screen.

In other words something may look like it is right near your hand if you reach out!

With these glasses you will have no frame of reference - so any 3D image will just stick out into the blackness, you will not be able to see some text floating next to your hand, or a bullet fly off the screen past the family pet etc,,,

Does that make sense? 3D on a huge high gain screen makes things appear to float in the real world, interacting with the room and giving you a sense of depth that I am not sure these will replicate, as you will be in blackness with no frame of reference as to how the 3D is protruding into the actual room.

I think your post explains why I don't feel the 3D to be not as "poking-my-eyes" as in the theatres. Depth remains the same, however. Just no stuff "poking-my-eyes". I prefer the HMD 3D result than the movie theatres, though.

my home theatre

post #478 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post

I'll add that to the list!

my home theatre

post #479 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The frame of reference is not required, really .. as well, we have not reached the stage of the HoloDeck with 3D that you are describing ..

The "floating" effect you are describing, especially room interaction .. ?? What mind altering substance may I look for that will "Make it So .. ??"

Uncle Willie

post #480 of 2063 Old 09-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I think a good way of thinking about this device is an analogy to walkmans and ipods, namely, that Sony's PV (personal viewer) is to the video what ipod is to the audio, but probably more revolutionary. It promises to offer nothing less than a new paradigm shift in how people are going to consume video in the future, especially considering that, as revolutionary and advanced HMZ-T1 seems to be, it's trivially easy to imagine how the next iterations of these viewers might get better--1080p or even 4K in a year or two; much smaller and thinner form factor leading to greater comfort and portability; wider FOV; head-tracking. Augmented reality and virtual reality applications on a mature 3-D OLED PV will be insane with potentially profound cultural implications. It seems like a perfect technology for Apple to take over, just like they took over the mp3 player market.

The only thing that might stop this revolution is how bulky and nerdy this display looks so does anyone know if there are physical/optical minimums as to how thin this whole apparatus can get? Is there some optical reason why a PV cannot look like regular sunglasses someday? The bulk is definitely not due to OLEDs as they can be paper thin.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page