It's official. Projectors are obsolete 750" OLED coming this fall from Sony! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 351
I think you would indeed need a splitter to provide each box with the same source signal.

A splitter could have been included inside the control box but that would have raised the price too. Most people will use this as a personal viewing and adding features that only a few might use must be balanced against raising the cost and reducing sales by making the product less affordable to x number. What's the right balance? That's a very difficult question to answer. $799 MSRP is already pretty high and nowhere near as many will be sold if the price were say $299. Then again some people will just buy at a Sony superstore or online at Sony style, instead of ordering from other authorized Sony sources, where one may pay less. If you reread this thread you may be able to discern such a source.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 604
If the unit is a hit, or even a semi-hit, the price will drop quickly as new tech always does .. I see these sub $400 rather quickly .. and aimed squarely at gamers ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #633 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have to say that I'm very excited about this product. I do most of movie/gaming by myself and predict the Sony becoming my go to device. Like many others here, I don't have the space or the budget for a dedicated theater room. Sad, yes, but now I feel like those restrictions have been lifted. I see my new "theater" in a 10x12 room with a ps3, 5.1 surround, and a very comfy chair. I know version 2.0 will be cheaper, better and quickly forthcoming, but for my needs $800 seems like a bargain. Looking forward to this purchase.
post #634 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Liked: 12
I'd be very interested in what Samsung would do. They have the best Smartphone OLED screens - which is the critical technology here - so they may be able to compete effectively with Sony.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #635 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

I think I may have to buy one of these to use with my 3D video camera rigs for live monitoring of the 3D from my dual cameras.

Live?! What device will take the signals from dual cameras and combine them in such a way that this Sony will show their live 3D feed?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #636 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Another cool thing about this device is that if you plan on using your current surround speakers, you won't need an AT screen. Now I could finally have my center channel ay the same height as my mains. Never ever did that before.

Which brings up an interesting thought. Since there are no visual cues to determine screen distance, I wonder if audio cues could affect our perception of the screen distance.
post #637 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

We will obviously have no problem in making this a 100 page thread before the product hits.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #638 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Baby steps... Let's concentrate to have 30,000 readers first.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #639 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 11:51 AM

26 October is the realease date for sony hmz-t1 in US?
post #640 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

Since there are no visual cues to determine screen distance, I wonder if audio cues could affect our perception of the screen distance.

Could? Yes. Are movies and music typically recorded binaurally (not to be confused with stereophonic) to achieve this goal? Very rarely, since it necessitates headphone use in playback to work properly. Here's an example [again, you must wear headphones when you listen]:

[Not an endorsement of QSound and take any of their/Youtube's info provided with a grain of salt.]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #641 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Live?! What device will take the signals from dual cameras and combine them in such a way that this Sony will show their live 3D feed?

I currently take the composite video out of dual camcorders and input both to Stereoscopic Multiplexer and use Stereoscopic Player to display the output in either anaglyph or checkerboard mode.
This is on a small laptop which is tethered to my rig.
With the Sony connected to the laptop via HDMI I can view the 3D in side by side mode presumably.
I expect that even though it's dual stream composite, the quality will be noticeably better then what I get now because of the high contrast and color saturation of the OLEDs.

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
post #642 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Could? Yes. Are movies and music typically recorded binaurally (not to be confused with stereophonic) to achieve this goal? Very rarely, since it necessitates headphone use in playback to work properly. Here's an example [again, you must wear headphones when you listen]:

[Not an endorsement of QSound and take any of their/Youtube's info provided with a grain of salt.]

What would be cool is if someone could develop and make widely available an algorithm to synthesize a binaural sound-field from a traditional 2-channel stereo recording. Headroom supposedly did something like this but that circuit only headroom portable amp barely makes any difference from standard unprocessed stereo. I'd really like for it to sound like "the music is in front of me, spreading out from left to right"

Certainly for gaming, it would be aweseome to have binaural audio on the headphones.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #643 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

I currently take the composite video out of dual camcorders and input both to Stereoscopic Multiplexer and use Stereoscopic Player to display the output in either anaglyph or checkerboard mode.
This is on a small laptop which is tethered to my rig.
With the Sony connected to the laptop via HDMI I can view the 3D in side by side mode presumably.
I expect that even though it's dual stream composite, the quality will be noticeably better then what I get now because of the high contrast and color saturation of the OLEDs.

Hi Frank,

Just a suggestion. Why not simplify your setup by getting 2 small LCD and put it on Loreo Maxi Viewer?

http://www.berezin.com/3d/maxi_viewer.htm
post #644 of 2063 Old 09-17-2011, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

Hi Frank,

Just a suggestion. Why not simplify your setup by getting 2 small LCD and put it on Loreo Maxi Viewer?

http://www.berezin.com/3d/maxi_viewer.htm

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of that idea.
The main reason I currently use the laptop is so I can control my equipment and see it in 3D on my Iphone and Ipad via Iteleport.

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
post #645 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 10:47 AM

Not going to do $800. That price doesnt make sense since its more expensive than the japanese version, Japanese stuff is usually hundreds more than the USA price. I would be on board at $600, which is also what it should cost in america based on the japanese price.

I would advise NOT preordering at the current price, the more people who preorder the more Sony will think its a good price, which its not. If you want to preorder then wait until a couple weeks or so, you will still get yours on launch and you will put pressure on Sony to lower the price.
post #646 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 AM

The dollar isn't very strong in Japan currently...
post #647 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post

Not going to do $800. That price doesnt make sense since its more expensive than the japanese version, Japanese stuff is usually hundreds more than the USA price. I would be on board at $600, which is also what it should cost in america based on the japanese price.

I would advise NOT preordering at the current price, the more people who preorder the more Sony will think its a good price, which its not. If you want to preorder then wait until a couple weeks or so, you will still get yours on launch and you will put pressure on Sony to lower the price.

What current price? Only price that I recall seeing is the $799 MSRP. That is not the pre-order price.
post #648 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post

Sony always thinks their tech is a good price .. ..

I see this product as a slow burn roll out more than a hot ticket must have .. once the word gets out to gamers and there is more hands on info out there we'll see .. the 720p initial res hurts it .. I'm on the fence, .. want it, yet know the next incarnation will likely be 1080p ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #649 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 01:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

What current price? Only price that I recall seeing is the $799 MSRP. That is not the pre-order price.

$799 is the pre-order price at Sony's online store The site just started taking pre-orders over the weekend.
post #650 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I see this product as a slow burn roll out more than a hot ticket must have .. once the word gets out to gamers and there is more hands on info out there we'll see .. the 720p initial res hurts it .. I'm on the fence, .. want it, yet know the next incarnation will likely be 1080p ..

It might look low-end coming from the perspective of a home theater enthusiast, but 1280x720 is a pretty decent resolution for a consumer level HMD. If you want higher resolutions and FOV, be prepared to get sticker shock.
post #651 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroflux View Post

It might look low-end coming from the perspective of a home theater enthusiast, but 1280x720 is a pretty decent resolution for a consumer level HMD. If you want higher resolutions and FOV, be prepared to get sticker shock.

I've followed the HMD area for many years .. and I don't consider this unit low end .. but I do know the next incarnation will be 1080p most likely .. so, it's buy it now or wait .. you know the drill ..

Uncle Willie

post #652 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They are selling like hot cakes, seriously. I don't see the benefit of buying it from Sony Style though considering other sources will sell it for cheaper, No prices from alternative sources yet because Sony has not set the acquisition price to those dealers.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #653 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Is it November yet? I can't wait to check these out.

any word on 120hz PC support? I should be able to fool the Nvidia drivers by spoofing my Acer 5360 .inf file into thinking it's 3D Vision compatible device. It has the same native res as the Sony glasses.

This would be killer to play GRID on the PC in 3D, favorite racing game..
post #654 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM

no longer sure it is the case
post #655 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hopefully not the case. Sony wants its chain and independent dealers to feature and recommend Sony. Making something that will be very popular exclusive to its own stores even for a short while is a good way to cause dealers to sour on Sony.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #656 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 04:39 PM

Sony really needs to send display units into B&M stores like Best Buy and Fry's Electronics pronto. That'll generate lots of buzz and pre-orders. It's one thing to watch the videos on YouTube and read others first-hand impressions on forums and tech blogs. I want to try these on myself! Unfortunately the closest Sony Store to me where there might be a demo unit is in Las Vegas. Not exactly a short drive from Phoenix.
post #657 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 04:53 PM

If you do a pre-order in a Sony store, do you pay the full amount at that time or just a deposit ?
post #658 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relja View Post

It may be exclusive to Sony Direct store initially. Will confirm shortly

I sure hope that isn't the case. I'd like the opportunity to shop around for the best price, not be forced into paying full MSRP in order to have it at launch.
post #659 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Is it November yet? I can't wait to check these out.

any word on 120hz PC support? I should be able to fool the Nvidia drivers by spoofing my Acer 5360 .inf file into thinking it's 3D Vision compatible device. It has the same native res as the Sony glasses.

This would be killer to play GRID on the PC in 3D, favorite racing game..

You don't need 120hz support as long as it is 1.4 3D compatible. I'm using Acer H5360BD and it is 3DTV Play compatible. No problem playing 3D game. I'm looking forward to DIRT 3 which support TrackIR cockpit view and perfect 3D Vision support.
post #660 of 2063 Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If my receiver has 2 HDMI outputs and I put 3D out of it one to this device and one to my 2d projector will the 2d projector display one eyes content or will it be a mess? Curious if that is a viable way to demo it at parties... of course assuming it is totally awesome which we are all sure it will be
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page