It's official. Projectors are obsolete 750" OLED coming this fall from Sony! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2063 Old 09-28-2011, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Just got an email from Sony saying it was delayed from the 26th to the 28th... Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2063 Old 09-28-2011, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Honey. Its good for my eyes. Thanks John.

Haha! That'll work more than telling her that this thing has 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio.
post #723 of 2063 Old 09-28-2011, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

Just got an email from Sony saying it was delayed from the 26th to the 28th... Anyone else?

That's actually kind of good news since it looks like it's pretty much on schedule.
post #724 of 2063 Old 09-28-2011, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

I would think that device is actually good for our eyes. Since our eyes will be forced to focus 60 feet away, it will be giving them a break from focusing a few feet away, which is what many if us do hours a day.

Honestly, this is part of the appeal to me. I don't drive (we have walkable cities and good public transport in Europe) and so the majority of my day is spent focused at short distances for reading, mostly looking at screens.

In the last few years, my eyesight has deteriorated and I now require glasses to see things at long distances. The correction is relatively minor (for now) but focusing on a screen 65ft away when I'm at home can only be a good thing for my eyesight.
post #725 of 2063 Old 09-28-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Someone walks into my living room and four people are sitting there with weird looking head gear on and the room is silent and the lights are off. O.K. welcome to the Twlight Zone! Four people lost in their own little world -- completely zoned out from the real one. Can't wait to get my hands on these things!
post #726 of 2063 Old 09-28-2011, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

If one can comfortably afford it, it would be hard to not order after viewing. Its exactly as we who have worn them have described. After I saw these at Cedia, my Id sucker punched my Ego and Super Ego,saying shutup boys were ordering one of those, and my order is sitting in the AVS server just like many other's here.

And that's totally unbiased .. ? No sales pitch .. ?? I'm messin' with ya ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #727 of 2063 Old 09-28-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I am not tearing out my home theater. I really think that for more than one person viewing, the HT would be much better socially and ergonomically. But for people who want to watch different things or even alone when one doesn't want to go to the HT physically etc, it gives a new alternative. Not to mention when one wants total immersion. total isolation, . . . . Now, I do not have this yet obviously and my watching life is just fine without it. I obviously have lots of ways of watching things and the exact delivery date to me is really quite unimportant. Its just going to give me some viewing alternatives. Viewing quality should be very good but I have very good already.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #728 of 2063 Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree completely and mirror the same ..

However, I will say, it's been many years since I have been as excited about a new product .. I've wanted a usable HMD for a long, long time ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #729 of 2063 Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I just fear that as soon as I try them out that I'll need to have a set then and there.
post #730 of 2063 Old 09-28-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I agree completely and mirror the same ..

However, I will say, it's been many years since I have been as excited about a new product .. I've wanted a usable HMD for a long, long time ..

Indeed. I've been waiting since the original i-glasses. I have a ghetto home theater that I built over many years. I'm not about to replace all that work with this product. This fills a similar but distinct hobby for me: Virtual Reality. Sure it may not have the FOV/Head Tracking that most VR enthusiast indignantly demand, but it appears to be the first real middle ground between AV enthusiasts and VR enthusiasts that I have seen. I'm hoping it will end the long line of mediocre personal display marketing schemes, whose end-effect took part in denigrating the social definition of VR.
post #731 of 2063 Old 09-28-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

We will be stocking them. If you are at a store, just call us from there and we can have it on your doorstep the next day. I am very exited too but its just a thing that I don't need, just that I want, and a day or two just doesn't matter. So I wouldn't pay for next day shipping, maybe three day but I only live about 600 miles or so from the AVS warehouse and I will get them 2 days after AVS ships with normal UPS ground shipping.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #732 of 2063 Old 09-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyC View Post

Anyone know if display units are being rolled out to all Sony Style stores or just a select few? I'm probably going to try to jump in on these day one but would really like to try a demo unit out.

Called the Seattle store - they don't have one yet. The salesperson asked me to call again on Friday. He thought LA & NY stores would get the demo units first ...

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #733 of 2063 Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 AM

same in Dallas
post #734 of 2063 Old 09-29-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

same in St. Louis ..

Go Cardinals ..

post #735 of 2063 Old 09-29-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Same in Chicago. Go Yankees
post #736 of 2063 Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The few stores that have them probably have pre production samples, of which there were not many built. When the first production batch hits, I think most of the Sony Styles stores will get a demo. Just my guess.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #737 of 2063 Old 09-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Do you guys have some secret Sony Style store listing? I don't see St. Louis or Chicago listed here (specifically interested the Chicagoland area).

There are a bunch of other factory outlets, but I don't expect to see any of the Sony HDMs there for a quite a while

This thread has been pretty slow this week. Anyone care to speculate on the best way to add a battery pack to this thing?

hacking the box to by-pass the power supply with a rechargeable battery should not be too difficult once one figures out the power supply output(s). A 60 watt-hour laptop battery should get one in the 3-4 hour range, assuming one can get suitable voltage/amperage out.

Any future owner up for opening up the box and spec'ing out the power supply outputs?
post #738 of 2063 Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post

Any future owner up for opening up the box and spec'ing out the power supply outputs?

I'm voting for Jeff J ..

post #739 of 2063 Old 09-30-2011, 03:13 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Anyone care to speculate on the best way to add a battery pack to this thing?

May be a pack with an inverter - so you don't void the warranty

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #740 of 2063 Old 09-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

This thread has been pretty slow this week. Anyone care to speculate on the best way to add a battery pack to this thing?

hacking the box to by-pass the power supply with a rechargeable battery should not be too difficult once one figures out the power supply output(s). A 60 watt-hour laptop battery should get one in the 3-4 hour range, assuming one can get suitable voltage/amperage out.

Very flexible portable battery that you can set the voltage you want from 5v - 19v. Should cover most of the range for DC input. I'm looking at true wireless setup for VR gaming with portable battery and ASUS WAVI. I check the spec for ASUS WAVI and it mention 1080p 24hz 3D support but not sure if it work with 720p 60hz 3D.

http://www.powerstream.com/PST-MP3500-I.htm
post #741 of 2063 Old 09-30-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Anyone care to speculate on the best way to add a battery pack to this thing?

It would depend on what you personally deem "too heavy" for portable, electronic entertainment.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #742 of 2063 Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 PM

Liked: 11
Any word on when this will be available for pre-order on other online retailer sites like Amazon and Best Buy? Over in Japan, there are already number of online retailers accepting pre-orders. I see it's even listed on Amazon.com's Japan site. With a little less than a month before the Oct 26th ship date, I'm hoping it'll start showing up elsewhere for pre-orders fairly soon, unless Sony has decided to remain as the exclusive online retailer for pre-orders. I did place a pre-order with Sony online, but I'm hoping I'll be able to pre-order it with Best Buy and then cancel my order with Sony. I've also been following the HMZ-T1 thread on the Neogaf gaming forum. Someone there recently posted that it has appeared in the Best Buy employee product database with pages of product info and training on how to properly set it up for demos. There was no mention of pricing or availability.

Go D'Backs!
post #743 of 2063 Old 10-02-2011, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Just send an email to mark for pre ordering. I just hope I'm in the first batch. Can't wait any longer. I'm getting this for 3d gaming and also done the research for hmd head tracking using wii motion plus.
post #744 of 2063 Old 10-02-2011, 06:18 PM

Liked: 20
PhoenixCoyote. Sony has not yet set dealer pricing for this yet. But AV Science is accepting preorders, we have something like 40 preorders so far and will notify all on our preorder list of our price as soon as we get a price to us from Sony. As soon as Sony starts accepting dealer orders we will order plenty.

Now guys. Help. My wife is watching something on our 64 inch plasma, our niece has moved in and is using my HT to watch something, and I have the choice of the bedroom, no thanks, and 21"D flat panel LCD in our kitchen to watch Sunday nite football. Hell. 20 years ago I had a 25" Trinitron, life has regressed. Now if it were the 26th or there abouts, I would have my HMZ-T1, now I need the damn thing.
post #745 of 2063 Old 10-02-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av science sales 4 View Post

phoenixcoyote. Sony has not yet set dealer pricing for this yet. But av science is accepting preorders, we have something like 40 preorders so far and will notify all on our preorder list of our price as soon as we get a price to us from sony. As soon as sony starts accepting dealer orders we will order plenty.

Now guys. Help. My wife is watching something on our 64 inch plasma, our niece has moved in and is using my ht to watch something, and i have the choice of the bedroom, no thanks, and 21"d flat panel lcd in our kitchen to watch sunday nite football. Hell. 20 years ago i had a 25" trinitron, life has regressed. now if it were the 26th or there abouts, i would have my hmz-t1, now i need the damn thing.

lol! +1

i MUST SAY, I CANT WAIT TO BUY THIS BAD BOY, IM JUST COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS!
post #746 of 2063 Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

So now it's a necessity!
post #747 of 2063 Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Having trouble convincing the significant other about this purchase? Here's a few great reasons we've discussed:

1) It will contribute to marital harmony
2) It will save a ton of money (over buying another pj)
3) It will save on the electric bill
4) It is beneficial for your vision (focusing far away)
5) You won't have to paint the walls black
6) She will never have to watch football again
7) Turning the lights on in the living room will not lead to an anxiety attack
8) Will improve adjacent neighbor relations

I'm sure there are many other practical benefits of owning this device. I doubt any of you will now have any trouble getting one.
post #748 of 2063 Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I want it. Great for gaming assuming its confortable for reasonable periods. Remember "Virtuality" from the early 90s you could only wear those things for about 5 minutes , I spent most of my time staring at a virtual floor the things were so heavy.

I do think the ultimate form of the the iphone will essentially look like a pair of raybans. Proper 3d performance , active locative capabilities. Think like your own personal HUD , you can probably broadcast a tag so that other people with the same gear can see your business details hover above your head as you walk down the street.

Now...how to calibrate this thing? And I hope it allows you to use your own headphones.

digital film janitor
post #749 of 2063 Old 10-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Most likely you need a video processor to calibrate the HMD for greyscale and CMS. I'm getting a Lumagen RadianceMini for my TV and HMD. I'm not sure how good is Sony HMD scaler but I don't think it would be better than Lumagen or DVDO scaler based on the price.

Yeah, I remember virtuality. We just need to build our own VR pod.
post #750 of 2063 Old 10-03-2011, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

Most likely you need a video processor to calibrate the HMD for greyscale and CMS. I'm getting a Lumagen RadianceMini for my TV and HMD. I'm not sure how good is Sony HMD scaler but I don't think it would be better than Lumagen or DVDO scaler based on the price.

Yeah, I remember virtuality. We just need to build our own VR pod.

I'm not concerned about the mechanism of calibration I've got that covered just how to get a sensor onto the eyeholes in a meaningful way.

digital film janitor
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page