It's official. Projectors are obsolete 750" OLED coming this fall from Sony! - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2011, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
guys, just called sony style in Dallas, they have a demo unit. can't wait to see it! check your locations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Once and for all. It is not a MAP. My words were very very clear. It is the only price a dealer is allowed by Sony to sell it at. If Sony were to catch any dealer selling this item for less, it would likely take Sony away from them as an authorized line. The legality of unilateral pricing (Sony calls it Sure pricing) has been upheld in the US courts. And my guess is that the Sony stores, which used to be caled Sony Style stores, will get it slightly before other types of Sony dealers. The only advantage those dealers might have is that the Sony stores are required by Sony to charge sales tax in the state of delivery, most mail order or internet dealers only charge sales tax in the state or states they are located in.

Sony maintains a shopping service to monitor its Sure program when Sony chosses to employ it. Anybody having a call for special price, use a coupon or code, a pist keep it secret, will swiftly be beheaded by Sony and the lines for most is too valuable to loose. You guys can discuss this all you want but it is not going to change what I have said. And all that have preordered from us, now know the price. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Nothing really to get upset about. There's no competition for these glasses (yet). Just think of it as buying an Apple product. No discounts either really and they both have stores.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

Old 10-11-2011, 10:36 PM

ok, i've seen it, had just half an hour for testing. first impresions:

great PQ, very sharp and bright, very good blacks, did not see pixels nor bowing on the edges like others said.

the demo unit had the menu unlocked

picture modes: cinema, standard, vivid, custom.
PQ settings: picture, brightness, sharpness, color warmth, noice reduction. did not see contrast nor motion settings.
audio output: audio system, built-in headphones
3d setup: off, SBS, top-bottom

overall I was very positively impressed, definitely not a toy, I felt like watching a 3d movie at cinema. as I have a 120" screen watched from 12ft distance, my feel was similar on the helmet.

the salesman was a lazy guy, couldn't find the light cover and the store lights were quite distracting and reflection-making on the lenses. Should be fine at home/when the light cover is mounted.

on the cons:
- did not have time for wear adjustments but it was quite heavy, I felt it quite a lot on my nose. I am wearing prescr. glasses to together my nose was suffering...
- 3d effect not that strong, did not see any setting for 3d depth adjustment. I've seen only a 3d racing game, no 3d movie.
- headphones - but can play loud and give you quite a lot of bass.
- 720p - not that much distracting, as the PQ was superb and sharp, of course 1080p would be better

definitely need more time for testing, but I am probably sold ;-)
Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Another positive review. The majority had spoken, this is NOT A TOY.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Think I'l be getting one fo these for christmas. Just the thing when I'm travelling on business.

digital film janitor
Old 10-12-2011, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by helcik View Post

PQ settings: picture, brightness, sharpness, color warmth, noice reduction. did not see contrast nor motion settings.

Haven't owned a Sony display since an XBR1 in '05, but IIRC, I think "Picture" is Sony's nomenclature for Contrast.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

That's interesting - it looks like they appreciate that some people may want to use their own sound system rather than the 'phones.

Did you try adjusting the 'phones so that they were totally 'off-ear'?

Steve W
Old 10-12-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:

,3d effect not that strong, did not see any setting for 3d depth adjustment. I've seen only a 3d racing game, no 3d movie.

First of all thank you so much for a great review. But the fact that you are not the first reviewer to claim that the 3D effect is subtle is a concern to me since I was only sold on the 3D portion of the device. Let's see what others see and say.
Cheers
Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 245
the Sony Store in Heartland (Ontario, GTA) has a demo and I'm gonna check it out today or tomorrow. Can't wait. They are taking preorders and they said that the people that preorder will receive it before those who wait for it to hit retail. Could be just BS to get me to preorder, but.......

Can't wait! Part of me almost wants to not like it so that I can just get the Panny 7000 for 3D and be done with it, but the other part hopes it's a game changer. I'll post my impressions ASAP.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samckaz View Post

First of all thank you so much for a great review. But the fact that you are not the first reviewer to claim that the 3D effect is subtle is a concern to me since I was only sold on the 3D portion of the device. Let's see what others see and say.
Cheers

This won't have anything to due with the HMD, as depth and convergence is designed by the movie studios to be very minimal as to not induce eye strain. Remember your seeing what each eye is supposed to see only. No difference if you use shutter glasses or passive to block out one eye from the other, or just have two separate screens like the Sony.

I found a trick for the PS3 to add A LOT of Depth and pop. When in the 3D setup wizard, choose a really small screen size. I chose 30" for my 110" screen and the depth was so much better then actually choosing your real screen size. I actually got cross eyed durring some parts of God of War.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

the Sony Store in Heartland (Ontario, GTA) has a demo and I'm gonna check it out today or tomorrow. Can't wait. They are taking preorders and they said that the people that preorder will receive it before those who wait for it to hit retail. Could be just BS to get me to preorder, but.......

Can't wait! Part of me almost wants to not like it so that I can just get the Panny 7000 for 3D and be done with it, but the other part hopes it's a game changer. I'll post my impressions ASAP.

Either the store is BS-ing you or my Sony contact is BS-ing me. She told me that pre-order or not, the launch date will still be the same. It's just that if I pre-order, I'm more likely to be able to get the unit during its release date than if I don't pre-order.

ie, say each store receives 10 units, and there are 9 pre-orders. If you pre-ordered you'll definitely get it but if you don't you may or may not get it because there is only 1 that is not set aside for pre-order. on the other hand, if the store receives 10 units and there are 11 pre-orders and you happen to be number 11 on the list, you still won't be able to get it until the next shipment comes.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Old 10-12-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

This won't have anything to due with the HMD, as depth and convergence is designed by the movie studios to be very minimal as to not induce eye strain. Remember your seeing what each eye is supposed to see only. No difference if you use shutter glasses or passive to block out one eye from the other, or just have two separate screens like the Sony.

I found a trick for the PS3 to add A LOT of Depth and pop. When in the 3D setup wizard, choose a really small screen size. I chose 30" for my 110" screen and the depth was so much better then actually choosing your real screen size. I actually got cross eyed durring some parts of God of War.

Wow thanks for the PS3 tip man,
Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Cheers

the image had a lot of "pop" even without 3D, maybe that is why the 3D effect did not add that much 3D to the picture. anyway it was just a racing game, maybe its better while watching a movie, couldn't test it.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

That's interesting - it looks like they appreciate that some people may want to use their own sound system rather than the 'phones.

Did you try adjusting the 'phones so that they were totally 'off-ear'?

Steve W

I had to move it back, to be able to talk to my friend, but it was still hearable.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:

This does concern me. What about support for FHD3D? Side-by-side and top-bottom methods tend to halve the resolution per frame. They are capable of full resolution frame packing, but according to the HDMI specifications for 1.4a it doesn't look like it is required for compliance. Is the HMZ-T1 really capable of full 720p 3D?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My friend and I should be heading out to check it out in the next couple of hours. I'll report as soon as I come back.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroflux View Post

This does concern me. Does this mean that it won't support FHD3D? Side-by-side and top-bottom methods tend to halve the resolution per frame. They are capable of full resolution frame packing, but according to the HDMI specifications for 1.4a it doesn't look like it is required for compliance. Is the HMZ-T1 really capable 720p 3D?

I'll check it out. There should usually be an auto setting which would be 720p Frame packed, and the other modes have to be set manually. I think the 3D would be horrible if it wasn't 720p FP.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I posted on mtbs as well but here goes
My concern is I have poor vision without my glasses. I wear glasses and am near near sighted. However even with or without glasses I can seem to read something closer then 3-4 inches away from my eyeball. Isnt this like holding a piece of paper right up to your eyeball and reading it? I have never actually tried to read something that close and just realized I can not.

Should I consider reading glasses instead of my prescripition for these?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

you won't have that problem (I also wear prescription glassses). The optics of this unit will fool your eyes making them focus further away than the actual distance. You won't have any problem using this unit.

my home theatre

Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:

This does concern me. What about support for FHD3D? Side-by-side and top-bottom methods tend to halve the resolution per frame. They are capable of full resolution frame packing, but according to the HDMI specifications for 1.4a it doesn't look like it is required for compliance. Is the HMZ-T1 really capable of full 720p 3D?

there was some auto option (ON/OFF) but as a separate item. However did not have time to test how it works, just reported what I remembered.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Cheers

Thanks everyone for sharing their impressions on this device! I'm just wondering what technical aspect of this display could make it's 3D effect more subtle than some other display? I think it's all up to the source. The guy says this based on a video game, assuming GT5 that has been reported of Sony been demoed on this device previously. In this game the 3D effect can be vastly modified with settings, and is pretty subtle by default. I don't see how you could have a different 3D effect in a fixed image source as a 3D-bluray? Especially when you have those separate images to both eyes. correct if I'm all wrong here..

Btw, Has anyone seen this demoed anywhere in Finland yet?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ty david. Have been very excited about product and got worried.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:

there was some auto option (ON/OFF) but as a separate item. However did not have time to test how it works, just reported what I remembered.

Ah, well hopefully that means it will accept FHD3D. Someone over at MTBS said that just because a display supports 1.4(a), it doesn't need to support all 3D methods listed in the HDMI specification.

To me a standard encompasses a wide amount of variables; in this case allowing multiple electronic devices with HD3D protocols listed under the specification to successfully interact. I'm not sure if that logic applies to HDMI though, don't have enough experience in it.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Ah, well hopefully that means it will accept FHD3D. Someone over at MTBS said that just because a display supports 1.4(a), it doesn't need to support all 3D methods listed in the HDMI specification.

To me a standard encompasses a wide amount of variables; in this case allowing multiple electronic devices with HD3D protocols listed under the specification to successfully interact. I'm not sure if that logic applies to HDMI though, don't have enough experience in it.

I would say there is absolutely zero chance they would leave out Frame Packed "Sequential" 720p/60Hz support. If they were going to omit something, it would have been side/side or top/bottom--not FP'ed. It would completely defeat one of the primary purposes of the device by limiting it to the half resolution implementations. There is no way they could be that stupid.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

don't forget that SBS and TAB don't require HDMI 1.4

my home theatre

Old 10-12-2011, 05:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I'd think 720p FP would be automatically displayed as 3D (unless a setting somewhere else lets you switch it off). SBS/OU would be for video that comes as 2D video to the unit - which we want the display to interprit as 3D and show.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
Old 10-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

On a related note, when running 1080p content, half-resolutions like sbs and checkerboard contain 12% more original pixels than 720p, at least in games. What id like to know is how that would look scaled onto a 720p screen.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post

SBS/OU would be for video that comes as 2D video to the unit - which we want the display to interprit as 3D and show.

What do you mean? Will it take 2D and display it as 3D?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

On a related note, when running 1080p content, half-resolutions like sbs and checkerboard contain 12% more original pixels than 720p, at least in games. What id like to know is how that would look scaled onto a 720p screen.

I don't see it mention checkerboard 3D support in the report. But I would say it depends on the scaler. If Sony bundle in a crappy scaler, 1080p SBS wouldn't look better than 720p frame pack. For example, I'm using Acer H5360BD and when I compare 1080p SBS to 720p 60hz FP 3D, I always choose the later. Somehow to my eyes, 1080p SBS just doesn't look as sharp as 720p frame pack. I'll try again using Lumagen Radiance that support conversion of 1080p SBS to other 3D format. I'll try to input 1080p SBS then output as 720p Frame pack and compare.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Liked: 20
I just reread the detailed press release cited and linked early in this thread. A lot of details there and answers to questions asked recently. For example, it talks about the panel speed as being faster than .01 ms enable smooth non blury motion for videos of fast moving action (thus explaining why no switchable motion flow features).