It's official. Projectors are obsolete 750" OLED coming this fall from Sony! - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 2063 Old 10-12-2011, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 105
So I ended up seeing the demo unit for a good 40 minutes.......

I'll definitely be buying one.

First the negatives:

I didn't completely get the unit to fit perfectly, but the sense of weight is annoying and it did push down on my nose a bit, but I'm sure that it's fixable when your sitting at home in comfy chair and adjust the straps exactly.

The lower 720p resolution was slightly noticeable on some scenes. On things like lamp posts, stairs, basically things with lots of edges looked a little jagged. Not a big issue, but the jump to 1080 panels would be notiecable to me.

Film Look. People often talk about some projectors (especially LCOS) as having a more film like picture, or going to see a movie in the theater projected from a film projector. There ain't really any film look here. It looks like a giant plasma, not like a projected picture at all. This can and very well maybe exactly what people wan't and it's not really a negative for many.

Isolation. I used the my thumbs to try to block out as much light as possible as the light blockers were MIA, and without blocking out the light the sense of immersion is quickly lost. Light blocker are a must. Have to make sure to keep your head still of you will feel sick pretty fast. Because It wasn't strapped to my head 100% every head movement felt really strange and disorienting.

Positives:

Black Levels. Better then any projector on the market. Blacks are not 100% black on an all black screen, but pretty close. At least Kuro level.

Motion. Perfect. Nothing to complain about. NO blur, or fringing, or anything.

Colour. Very deep and saturated. Plasma like colour but more vivid and deep.

Simulated Screen Size. It WORKS. It's a little trippy at first because it does feel to me like I'm sitting in the middle row of a large theater. My brain keep fighting me because I knew I had these goggles on right in front of my face. Can't wait for extended viewing time without any distractions to let myself get immersed in the experience. My friend also thought it seemed like a theater sized experience and we both have 110" screens. To me it felt like I was about 20 feet away from a larger screen and not 11 feet like I sit from my 100" The FOV is great and covers your vision nicely. You'll be moving your eyes across the "screen" to get the whole picture.

3D. Same quality as 2D. That's to be expected and obviously no crosstalk. I found that because I was so used to active glasses "activating" and the picture going darker. When the 3D clips were playing at first my brain just assumed that they were 2D until I really started looking and noticed all the 3D effects. It does seem subtle, but again that could just be the 2 clips they showed were Harry Potter and Green Hornet, which were both converted and didn't have much 3D depth to begin with. Also have to make sure to adjust the eye spacing as this can greatly diminish the 3D effect.

Gaming 3D. WOW. WOW. This is by far the best way to play 3D on the PS3. I saw a trailer for GT 5 and it looked excellent. I got a controller and played Killzone 3 at max depth and it looked AMAZING. This game suffers from horrible crosstalk on any other 3D tech, but It's just perfect on the HMD. For this reason alone I would buy this device.

Basically it looks like a HUGE plasma to me.

It think I would find this has more immersion then my 110" screen. The simple fact that once it's on and all outside influence disappears. You're in your own little world and it's pretty awesome! No walls, entertainment racks, etc to get in the way of what your watchin.

Can't wait to get mine. I would definitely need at least a full day at home with one of these to give it a final review. It's hard to concentrate in a busy store on something that requires isolation for maximum effect. Still got a good enough idea that I know for gaming it can't be beat.

I does play 720p FP. It actually takes the 1080 FP 24hz signal and downscales it to the native 720p. You just leave the auto option on in the 3D menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 2063 Old 10-13-2011, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by helcik View Post

I had to move it back, to be able to talk to my friend, but it was still hearable.

But presumably, if you select the other audio option, it'll disable the built-in 'phones.

Steve W
post #933 of 2063 Old 10-13-2011, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

I does play 720p FP. It actually takes the 1080 FP 24hz signal and downscales it to the native 720p. You just leave the auto option on in the 3D menu.

Just to clarify, it takes a 1080p/24 picture and downscales the 1080p to 720p, but keeps the 24fps - effectively 720p/24, right?

Steve W
post #934 of 2063 Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Still showed the clip as 1080p 24, when in the menu. I'm guessing because the device accepts 1080p 24 FP signals and then internally downgrades them. It never lists the 720p FP when you hit info. Just shows the source input. Who know if it converts it to 720p 24 or 60? I didn't really notice any pulldown judder. So it should be OK.
post #935 of 2063 Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Still showed the clip as 1080p 24, when in the menu. I'm guessing because the device accepts 1080p 24 FP signals and then internally downgrades them. It never lists the 720p FP when you hit info. Just shows the source input. Who know if it converts it to 720p 24 or 60? I didn't really notice any pulldown judder. So it should be OK.

Dang you for posting all these awesome infos.

You're getting my wallet or riled up now!
post #936 of 2063 Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baubas View Post

What do you mean? Will it take 2D and display it as 3D?

SBS is a regular 2d signal, both eyes squished side by side, the tv slices the picture in 2 then shows each side to the correct eye. It allows for 3d content to be shown using the same bandwidth as regular HD. There is no 3d conversion of a 2d movie.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ts3d1.jpg/sr=1
post #937 of 2063 Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 AM

What would be required to get a picture that is more wide-covering, something like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=OfY9qddebxQ&feature=related

in a headset of this sort.

Is it realistic that something along those lines might come out to consumers at a reasonable price within the next few years?
post #938 of 2063 Old 10-13-2011, 07:57 PM

Liked: 11
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...ny-3d-tech.ars

Ars Technica is saying an November 25th release date for the HMZ-T1. Sony's online store still shows an Oct 26th ship date for pre-orders. Is that ship date still on target or has Sony neglected to tell us we still have another 6 weeks of waiting time? I sure hope that isn't the case.
post #939 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 12:41 AM

I found a german review, that says that there is no motion-flow available and that all signals are converted to 60Hz, resulting in pulldown judder on movies.
If this is true, it would be a big disappointment.

I can't believe Sony would make such a mistake. I believe the reviewer mixed up 24Hz-judder and 3:2-judder.

Did anyone, who already did some testing with the device, see 3:2-judder? I think someone would have already mentioned it here, if it would be true.

Here is the review in translation.
post #940 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 05:36 AM

Liked: 11
The biggest negative I keep seeing in reviews is the discomfort caused by the visor weighing down on the bridge of the nose. Is it just a matter of adjusting the straps properly to keep the visor from resting on the nose? The bridge of my nose has always been sensitive. I can only wear light frame eyeglasses/sunglasses, so this will likely be an issue for me. The trick might be to have your head leaning back while you're wearing the visor, to distribute the weight towards the back. Lying on my couch leaning against the armrest will likely be the most comfortable position in my case. I also have a gaming chair the naturally leans back.
post #941 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 191
They've got it on display at the Sony Store in the Eaton center in Toronto for those downtown. I'm going to try to swing by today and check it out.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #942 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCoyote View Post

The biggest negative I keep seeing in reviews is the discomfort caused by the visor weighing down on the bridge of the nose. Is it just a matter of adjusting the straps properly to keep the visor from resting on the nose? The bridge of my nose has always been sensitive. I can only wear light frame eyeglasses/sunglasses, so this will likely be an issue for me. The trick might be to have your head leaning back while you're wearing the visor, to distribute the weight towards the back. Lying on my couch leaning against the armrest will likely be the most comfortable position in my case. I also have a gaming chair the naturally leans back.

I noticed that, too.

Fortunately, a lot of the comments have mentioned that people who've spent some time setting up the unit, or who have returned for a second go, say they've managed to fix this.

I think most of us who have worn things on our heads (glasses, large headphones, traffic cones) have found that they can take a few goes at getting it to be comfortable.

Steve W
post #943 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 07:15 AM

It's like a baseball mitt or a car seat. You NEED to adjust it for best performance.

How to use a Sony Personal 3D Viewer
post #944 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

I checked it out this morning. It's pretty sweet. I watched the Green Hornet clip, the GT5 clip, some Asian music video clip and the Harry Potter clip.

If you don't have the pupil distance set right, it doesn't work right. I adjusted that and the head straps so it wasn't putting all of its weight on my nose. Picture looked great. The light blockers were missing so I lost the sense of immersion I bet this thing is capable of. I could definitely see pixels and they may have had the sharpness cranked up a bit but the picture still looked great. It is hard to comment on the blacks because there was a ton of light coming in and my pupils weren't dilated like they would be in my theater or with the light blockers on.

All in, I'm excited about this and can't wait to get mine.

post #945 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 09:33 AM

TO ALL REVIEWERS BEFORE YOU GO TO CHECK IT OUT:

Please bring a thick jacket or something with you so that you can cover your head while testing the unit. Light sippage is #1 concern with all reviewers, so please, assume the store will be bright and there will be no screens when you go there.
post #946 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroflux View Post

It's like a baseball mitt or a car seat. You NEED to adjust it for best performance.

How to use a Sony Personal 3D Viewer

To those who are talking about pressure on the bridge of the nose:

The above "How to" link states that the forehead pressure pad (it comes with 3) along with the tightened head strap, keeps the unit completely off the bridge of the nose. Was the pressure pad on the units looked at?
post #947 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post

TO ALL REVIEWERS BEFORE YOU GO TO CHECK IT OUT:

Please bring a thick jacket or something with you so that you can cover your head while testing the unit. Light sippage is #1 concern with all reviewers, so please, assume the store will be bright and there will be no screens when you go there.

LOL!
"Mommy, why is that person standing in the corner alone with a jacket over their head? Is it because they did something bad?"

As if wearing the Star Trek goggles weren't bad enough.

Just kidding though. I totally understand where you're coming from. If I had a place to try them out nearby, I'd probably do something like that too.

Max
post #948 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

I noticed that, too.

Fortunately, a lot of the comments have mentioned that people who've spent some time setting up the unit, or who have returned for a second go, say they've managed to fix this.

I think most of us who have worn things on our heads (glasses, large headphones, traffic cones) have found that they can take a few goes at getting it to be comfortable.

Steve W

Couple of helium baloons will solve this issue.....

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #949 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

LOL!
"Mommy, why is that person standing in the corner alone with a jacket over their head? Is it because they did something bad?"

As if wearing the Star Trek goggles weren't bad enough.

Just kidding though. I totally understand where you're coming from. If I had a place to try them out nearby, I'd probably do something like that too.

Max

Haha, good one m8. ^^

I guess the other alternative is to start undressing in the store to use the clothes your wearing, I mean, we're all dedicated to this. Right?
post #950 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flausch View Post

I can't believe Sony would make such a mistake. I believe the reviewer mixed up 24Hz-judder and 3:2-judder.

I am only reading a translation, but from the way it is written, it sounds like they assume no motionflow = no 24Hz. This is not the case with Sony's other products.

I have a cheaper Sony LCD here that does not support motionflow, but handles 50Hz and 24Hz inputs without any problems. (definitely not being displayed at 60Hz, I am very sensitive to that kind of judder)
post #951 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 PM

Keep in mind that they can't release the perfect device due to planned obsolescence.

I'm looking forward to get this thing, no matter what
post #952 of 2063 Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity Castro View Post

Keep in mind that they can't release the perfect device due to planned obsolescence.

I'm looking forward to get this thing, no matter what

Mighty insightful quote Fidelity!
post #953 of 2063 Old 10-15-2011, 07:26 AM

Are most of you guys going to use this for mostly 3D viewing only? and stick with your PJ for 2D?
post #954 of 2063 Old 10-15-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLevelKing View Post

Are most of you guys going to use this for mostly 3D viewing only? and stick with your PJ for 2D?

Would depend entirely on picture quality and company for social interaction.
post #955 of 2063 Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I won't be watching anything in 3-D, either on my projector, or this head set.

Steve W
post #956 of 2063 Old 10-15-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'll retire the DLP pj I use for gaming and use this for gaming and 3D. I'll use my normal pj and lens for 2D.

post #957 of 2063 Old 10-15-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:

I have no interest in 3D, although I might check it out with these just to see .. my main use will be regular BD / HD Sports / and some gaming ..

Go Cardinals ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #958 of 2063 Old 10-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Just curious. Why would you guys not be interested in 3D anymore? This device takes away all the negatives that may lead some to call it a gimmick. No loss of brightness, no glasses to wear (LOL), shutter glasses that flicker I should say, less eye strain, etc. I think this device will give a people a second chance at 3D.
post #959 of 2063 Old 10-15-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:

Just curious. Why would you guys not be interested in 3D anymore? This device takes away all the negatives that may lead some to call it a gimmick. No loss of brightness, no glasses to wear (LOL), shutter glasses that flicker I should say, less eye strain, etc. I think this device will give a people a second chance at 3D.

3D is just so last decade ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #960 of 2063 Old 10-15-2011, 11:13 AM

Liked: 14
And while we're at it, lets go back to 1 channel audio, none of this gimmicky stereo stuff!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page