It's official. Projectors are obsolete 750" OLED coming this fall from Sony! - Page 69 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2041 of 2063 Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone heard anything about a second version of the HMZ yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2063 Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

(Emphasis mine)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

The low resolution/pixel structure (relative to the 1080p displays that I'm now used to) was one of the most obvious characteristics that hit me when demoing this product. Various people have mentioned it as well. And I doubt I have 20/20 vision at this point. In over a decade of carefully examining displays of various types of resolutions, I'm quite aware of what lower relative pixel resolution looks like. So...I find the idea that what we are seeing is "impossible" to be a tad hyperbolic.

LOL. Indeed, "impossible" in this case meant "me too."

I am really enjoing the HMZ-T1, but I'm not living in Fantasyland about it. The pixel structure is totally visible, and even distracting at times. This is the main reason I look forward to a 1080p version of this product (though I secretly hope Sony waits more than a year so I can convince the wife I need a new one ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post

Has anyone heard anything about a second version of the HMZ yet?

Nope. Not even at CES AFAIK.

I think a better question(s) would be: Is Sony going to continue making and selling the HMZ-T1? If so, are they currently working on an upgraded version?

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
Story Bytes - Very Short Stories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2043 of 2063 Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post

LOL. Indeed, "impossible" in this case meant "me too."

I am really enjoing the HMZ-T1, but I'm not living in Fantasyland about it. The pixel structure is totally visible, and even distracting at times. This is the main reason I look forward to a 1080p version of this product (though I secretly hope Sony waits more than a year so I can convince the wife I need a new one ).

Nope. Not even at CES AFAIK.

I think a better question(s) would be: Is Sony going to continue making and selling the HMZ-T1? If so, are they currently working on an upgraded version?

-Pie

Considering how greatly they underestimated the demand for these, I'd say it's a safe bet that they'll continue making these and are probably looking at possibilities for the next version.

They aren't total noobs at sales/marketing. You don't stop selling an item that has a greater demand than you anticipated, and you don't introduce a new model when the first version is still selling like hotcakes.

Even if they already have a 1080p prototype, any marketing team with any sense would tell them not to debut it while they're still having difficulty keeping up with the demand for the first model. Introducing a 1080p version at CES would effectively kill sales of the T1 as folks would just wait for the T2 (or whatever it would be called).

Max
post #2044 of 2063 Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I read that the eye can resolve around 540dpi at 20 inches on a static image.And it drops with brighter/moving images.

(fifth element)
post #2045 of 2063 Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I received thie email today:

Dear Email Subscriber,

We are pleased to announce that SiliconMicroDisplay (SMD) will begin taking pre-orders for the ST1080 on March 1st. We will starting shipping to USA customers in early May.

We are also pleased to offer a reduced price of $699 for a limited time - March 1st through March 21st. After that period, we will return to the full price of $799.

We are concurrently working on the pricing and availability details for other countries, and we'll make that information available as soon as we get them over the next few weeks.

The ST1080 is the world's first consumer head mounted display to offer Full HD 1080p (2M pixels) picture quality, see-through technology, and mobility features. The ST1080 is perfect for watching Blu-ray movies and playing console games while staying in touch with your surroundings.

The pre-order information will go live on our website tomorrow, February 22nd.

Sincerely,

Paul Jin
CEO, SiliconMicroDisplay

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #2046 of 2063 Old 02-23-2012, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks for that info. However, what is with the puny 100:1 contrast ratio?

http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/st1080-features.html
post #2047 of 2063 Old 02-23-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Ride home about? I think you mean in olden days, Write home about. Now, no one writes, they email or text message.

Now how would that work in a sentence? Nothing to email home about? Nothing to text home about? Hmmmmm - lost in translation
post #2048 of 2063 Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

That's the downside of the technology and its implementation, which is why it doesn't compete with the HMZ.

The HMZ is geared more towards av enthusiasts, the ST1080 is geared more towards tech geeks. Once I heard about the 'see-through' technology, which they claim "allows the viewer to stay in touch with their surroundings", it was obvious that the ST1080 would have far inferior contrast. You simply can't have a translucent display AND very high contrast together at this current time.

Max
post #2049 of 2063 Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

You simply can't have a translucent display AND very high contrast together at this current time.

Max

I don't think you'll have it at any time ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2050 of 2063 Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

Although the contrast ratio, CR, of a display is important, I generally ignore contrast ratio specs.

The video display industry has been in a competitive "numbers war" battle regarding this spec for many years. Although there have been small incremental improvements over the past few years, the advertising specs would suggest there have been revolutionary advances. Instead of a CR of let's say 1200:1, we see specs like 10,000:1, then 60,000:1, and even 3,000,000:1, but in truth what these numbers reflect is outright lying, fudging, exaggerating, and the invention of "new and improved" measurement criteria.

We also must consider they usually don't state the test conditions, which can lead to drastically different results: Are the claims of gray scale CR only, with no color present? ANSI standards? Full brightness on vs full off? Half screen black the other white? Center of checkerboard pattern measurement or edge? Was the measurement done in a typically lit living room or a pitch black bat cave? Static? Dynamic? With "Super Duper Ultra Wow Gamma Technology" turned on or off and what are the negative consequences of leaving it on? With crushed blacks, perhaps?

There are too many variables so I trust only independent test labs that state exactly what they mean, and when they publish data based on instrumentation readings. Anything less I simply ignore.

Silicon Micro Display goes into more details, including that their spec accounts for 10% transparency to the exterior room/cockpit (so it is not a "bat cave" measurement, at all) here:
http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/1...ontrast/1.html

To learn more about the contrast ratio "numbers game" we are trapped in, here:
http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...ast-ratio.html

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #2051 of 2063 Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yes, but any half decent FP or flat screen will give you 10K on/off CR. 100:1 is extremely poor by any measure (even considering technology from 5 to 10 yrs ago!). If their reference is ANSI CR, other than CRT FP (which compensated with extremely high on/off CR), FP and flat screens have been able to far exceed 100:1 for yrs now.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #2052 of 2063 Old 02-23-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS View Post

Yes, but any half decent FP or flat screen will give you 10K on/off CR. 100:1 is extremely poor by any measure (even considering technology from 5 to 10 yrs ago!). If their reference is ANSI CR, other than CRT FP (which compensated with extremely high on/off CR), FP and flat screens have been able to far exceed 100:1 for yrs now.

The unit is semi-transparent, apparently designed so you can still see what's around you .. nothing of this type design will ever have a stellar CR .. it's just the nature of the beast .. and kind of a stupid design, if you ask me ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2053 of 2063 Old 02-23-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

If the "situational awareness" provided by such a semi-transparent design is not desired, one can "fix" this problem simply by placing black electrical tape over the front of the goggles. I like having the choice.

post #2054 of 2063 Old 02-23-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I don't think you'll have it at any time ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

The unit is semi-transparent, apparently designed so you can still see what's around you .. nothing of this type design will ever have a stellar CR .. it's just the nature of the beast .. and kind of a stupid design, if you ask me ..

I guess it depends on the intended use. For someone who wants to watch TV while riding the Shinkansen to work, sure, fine. For av enthusiasts looking for an immersive experience, nope.

As far as not being able to produce a semi-transparent with good contrast ratio, I know they were experimenting with adjustable translucence displays (i.e. a TV where the screen is transparent when Off and when you turn it on, the screen ceases to be transparent).

If that comes to fruition, than potentially in the future, you could have a display where you could adjust the translucence to taste. Semi-transparent when you need to be somewhat aware of your surroundings, or completely opaque when maximum contrast is desired.

At this current time though, in order for something to be semi-transparent, it has to be incapable of producing anything close to black. To allow you to 'stay in touch with your surroundings' it can't have a very good white point either so yep, crappy contrast.

Max
post #2055 of 2063 Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

If the "situational awareness" provided by such a semi-transparent design is not desired, one can "fix" this problem simply by placing black electrical tape over the front of the goggles. I like having the choice.

to each his own .. perhaps they should make a unit with foldable flaps ..

Uncle Willie

post #2056 of 2063 Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

That's how I'd like it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post20909663
[see flipper sunglasses pic below video]

post #2057 of 2063 Old 02-24-2012, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Isn't lcos capable of very high on/off contrast ratios like in the case of the JVC pj's? So could this potentially be great for home theater enthusiasts if the HMD was designed with us in mind?
post #2058 of 2063 Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I have no fear that the actual real world use of this product (ST1080), using black tape or simply turning the room's lights off (which several of the Sony HMZT1 users mention is necessary for optimal performance, as well)*, will be poor in regards to perceived contrast, but only time will tell.

Keep in mind we have no data on the performance without the 10% transparency that's built-in (yet is easily defeatable by those who don't want it) taken into account.

*However they do so on the Sony for glare/reflection reduction reasons. Which is related to perceived contrast, actually.

post #2059 of 2063 Old 03-06-2012, 02:04 AM

does anybody know if Sony HMD or SMD st1080 support nvidia 3D vision ? by any chance
post #2060 of 2063 Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm hoping it is just a typo/error, but engadget today is describing the Zeiss OLED as "870x500 pixels" without even batting an eye that such a resolution is NOT HD, (which has a bare minimum spec of 720x1280):

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/06/z...-on/#continued

post #2061 of 2063 Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancjob View Post

does anybody know if Sony HMD or SMD st1080 support nvidia 3D vision ? by any chance

yes it supports nvidia 3d vision.
post #2062 of 2063 Old 03-07-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkster View Post

yes it supports nvidia 3d vision.

it supports 3d vision ! wow

Damn the sony design - i only hate this for it's bulky design,small exit pupil and the fact that it's NOT usb powered and portable else if this is the form factor as st1080 i will grab it for 'any' price
post #2063 of 2063 Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

More confirmation from this link provided by benz145 in the Sony thread, that the Carl Zeiss OLED Cinemizer will not be HD!

500 lines? You've got to be kidding me! Wow, that's a "whopping" 4% greater count than Standard Definition's 480. Oh boy. [and to keep scaling easy, it may simply put 10 black pixels above and below the main image, hardly noticable to most viewers, in which case it is 480p!]

Considering the comparably priced competition is true HD, 720p [Sony] or soon even 1080p [Silicon Micro Display in May], I don't know what they were thinking! Hello, Carl Z. McFly, wake up; it's 2012! We aren't playing Pong on glass tube TVs anymore!

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page