post #4411 of 10463 Old 05-31-2013, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

I think it depends on the quality off the materiel, with some materiel from Sony I testet ( 3840x2160P ), I would say 70-80 %, but that can probely change up or down with better/worse materiel. smile.gif

dj

I would say it is closer than that at the moment (more like 90-95%), but when we see real movies in 4K and not the Sony material and Timescapes I hope the difference is bigger. Timescapes is only a little sharper in 4K compared to upscaled 1080p and I think that it is shown with 8 bit color is a big disadvantage.

Regards
Andreas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 10463 Old 05-31-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I know the 1000 has a non standard panel size, so if I want to go to a Cinemascope, are people ordering a custom width, since the 1000 in 2:35 zoom mode projects a wider image than a standard panel ratio?

For example, a 65" high screen is typicall 153" wide. If I reduce my projection height to 64" (which is what I can fit), my viewable width is still 155.5")

Sorry if this has been covered earlier, but on the phone with Sony and me dealer trying to get it sorted out...

Thrang

You need to explain a little more, what you mean ? ( if you use the 2.35 zoom mode, you will zoom the size down on the projector, so it fits the screen again ( and you win some more light output - when I measured it, it was about +10% ) you then use all the 4096x2160 pixels - so no 1-1 pixels patterns is correct smile.gif - to draw the 3840x2160 picture. ( hope I explain it, so it gives meaning )

dj

EDIT: Sorry, if you allready know all this redface.gif ( I figured you know, but you never know )
post #4413 of 10463 Old 05-31-2013, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

So.... let me ask this.

I know that upscaling isn't as good as having native content, but i keep hearing great things about the upscaling to 4K on this beast. Has anyone been able to compare native and upscaled 4K? How much of a difference is there? Would this scaling = 90% as good as native content? 50%?

Let me put it this way, I just installed my VW1000ES and Studiotek 130 G3 and am so astounded by the image from all sources including cable, dvd, and bluray
that I doubt I will ever use my 65" Panny VT30 again so the up-scaling is really working quite well IMHO.

I am at 100" diagonal for 1:85 and 125" for 2:35 and could not be more impressed with how things look. Even in a room that is not blacked out the screen looks wonderful!!

Lower the blinds and wow, wow, wow!!!

When I get my FMP-X1 I know I am going to be blown away by how 4k looks, but in the meantime the up-scaling feature has got me hooked!!

David Ferebee
post #4414 of 10463 Old 05-31-2013, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Some new information about the compression for FMP-X1-delivered content.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/31/sony-will-use-eyeios-video-compression-tech-to-deliver-4k-movie/
post #4415 of 10463 Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 PM

Liked: 11
you were, just wait 10 years and they be on ebay
post #4416 of 10463 Old 06-04-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Reality double check time. Switching projectors has me second guessing things. Trying to get as much automated through Control4 as I can when switching sources.

I have a motorized masking (Constant Image Height) setup. Typical viewing is either with masking at 16:9 or full size at about 2.35. I use zooming and have no anamorphic lens. So everything is native 17:9 from the Sony.

Is anybody using more than two picture position memories for standard 16:9, 1.85, and 2.35 content?

I know they are labeled 1.85 Zoom and 2.35 Zoom, but the top two picture position memories have nothing special about them compared to the other slots where you can save "custom", correct?

Even if I watch 4:3 content, I'm still going to use the same Sony settings as I would for 16:9 or 1.85 content, correct? Just adjust my masking?

To review, Sony stores the aspect with the Picture position. Is everybody using "Normal" for the aspect with similar screen setup to mine?

To add to the complexity, I have a Lumagen Radiance, but as long as I use Sony 1000ES zooming for the best picture quality, I should just leave the Lumagen at 16:9 aspect ratio for all common sources, right?

Matt
post #4417 of 10463 Old 06-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I'm using 2.35 zoom instead of normal for everything.

I'm getting a lumagen this week, so I plan to compare switching aspects in the lumagen vs lens memory on the 1000.

post #4418 of 10463 Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 148
My 2.35 screen should be up in a few days - I think the best may be using the Sony aspect and saved zoom positions. The lumagen switch to 2.35 is instant of course, which is nice, but in my testing, I could not see any benefit over the Sony zoom mode. And for 16.9 material it will be worse to use the Lumagen, (the default zoom on the Sony would be NORMAL but at your 2.35 screen width with the Lumagen set to output a 2.35 image - for widescreen material, this uses about 10% less of the 4096 panel width. For HDTV source material sent through the Lumagen set this way, the Lumagen squeezes the source image to the correct 16.9, but is now using even less of the panel width, as the 1000 remains zoomed out in Normal mode to the full 2.35 screen width - this is my understanding after speaking with Lumagen)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4419 of 10463 Old 06-04-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

I'm using 2.35 zoom instead of normal for everything.

I'm getting a lumagen this week, so I plan to compare switching aspects in the lumagen vs lens memory on the 1000.

I also use 2.35 zoom for both 2.35 and HD (17x9) material, zooming to fill up my screen as much as possible**. I need to use lens memory for both zoom and lens shift for these two configurations, and it works just fine.

** For 17x9 I zoom to fill the 72" height of the screen (and mask the 144" width to be 136" W); for 2.35 pic, I zoom to fill the 144" width of the screen, and lens shift the pic to line up with the bottom of the screen (leaving a 10" black bar across the top, which I ignore).
post #4420 of 10463 Old 06-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My 2.35 screen should be up in a few days - I think the best may be using the Sony aspect and saved zoom positions. The lumagen switch to 2.35 is instant of course, which is nice, but in my testing, I could not see any benefit over the Sony zoom mode. And for 16.9 material it will be worse to use the Lumagen, (the default zoom on the Sony would be NORMAL but at your 2.35 screen width with the Lumagen set to output a 2.35 image - for widescreen material, this uses about 10% less of the 4096 panel width. For HDTV source material sent through the Lumagen set this way, the Lumagen squeezes the source image to the correct 16.9, but is now using even less of the panel width, as the 1000 remains zoomed out in Normal mode to the full 2.35 screen width - this is my understanding after speaking with Lumagen)

What you're saying makes sense. But I'm still going to try it out and see what the lumagen looks like....using the projector's lens memory is very inconsistent and clunky. I find myself having to do an additional adjustment almost every time. Months ago someone posted they were worried it was going to get stuck someday because of the clunkiness, and I agree. It will shift smoothly, then clunk/jump way past where its supposed to go.

post #4421 of 10463 Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Having to touch the Sony zoom up gives one a valuable skill once you master it and gives purpose to you other than just another audience member. Its like a smidge like owning a CRT. You fuss a small bit from time to time and wonder if what you are doing will hasten its breaking sooner or later. And it gives you something to post about here and then make others worry too. smile.gif
mookie b likes this.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4422 of 10463 Old 06-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

You're a funny man Mark.

post #4423 of 10463 Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

I think it depends on the quality off the materiel, with some materiel from Sony I testet ( 3840x2160P ), I would say 70-80 %, but that can probely change up or down with better/worse materiel. smile.gif

dj

Agreed.....the transfer(or the quality of the source material) is the key as to how well it upscales.

Without geeking out.......Star Wars Episode IV is amazing using reality creation and setting the auto Iris to "Full"(1.0 gain 77inch screen in light controlled room)
Superman The Movie looks "baked" using reality creation.....so instead I upscale using the sony 790 4K scaler.....image looks organic without exacerbating the films grain structure.

My 2 cents
post #4424 of 10463 Old 06-05-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What you're saying makes sense. But I'm still going to try it out and see what the lumagen looks like....using the projector's lens memory is very inconsistent and clunky. I find myself having to do an additional adjustment almost every time. Months ago someone posted they were worried it was going to get stuck someday because of the clunkiness, and I agree. It will shift smoothly, then clunk/jump way past where its supposed to go.

See, I was in the same boat. I had given up on the zooming and wanted to use the Lumagen for the aspect switching. But you do lose a lot of quality doing that. I still was leaning towards the Lumagen, because both my first units had the jump/skip issue and I had to tweak almost every time.

It is a defect. Have it replaced. My 3rd unit almost never needs adjustment, and I switch zoom memories all the time.

Now when my unit goes out of warranty, I may change my mind and go back to the Lumagen.

Thanks for the responses on the Zoom aspects to use...I am having a well respected calibrator back this weekend (I thought I had until September) and I will have some questions for him on what I should be doing so the posted experiences help.

So while we are on the subject, any other words of wisdom on calibrations? I had my 2nd unit already calibrated months ago, that was a couple weeks before I got dust blobs (the same unit that had the zoom issues anyway, but at that point I had not confirmed it was a defect).

Matt
post #4425 of 10463 Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

See, I was in the same boat. I had given up on the zooming and wanted to use the Lumagen for the aspect switching. But you do lose a lot of quality doing that. I still was leaning towards the Lumagen, because both my first units had the jump/skip issue and I had to tweak almost every time.

It is a defect. Have it replaced. My 3rd unit almost never needs adjustment, and I switch zoom memories all the time.

Now when my unit goes out of warranty, I may change my mind and go back to the Lumagen.

Thanks for the responses on the Zoom aspects to use...I am having a well respected calibrator back this weekend (I thought I had until September) and I will have some questions for him on what I should be doing so the posted experiences help.

So while we are on the subject, any other words of wisdom on calibrations? I had my 2nd unit already calibrated months ago, that was a couple weeks before I got dust blobs (the same unit that had the zoom issues anyway, but at that point I had not confirmed it was a defect).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

How many hours on this 3rd unit?

post #4426 of 10463 Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How many hours on this 3rd unit?

About 650 hours.

Matt
post #4427 of 10463 Old 06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

About 650 hours.

Cool, you got a good one! I'm not getting a replacement for this...on my 4th unit, so this is pretty minor in the big scheme of things. I don't want to push my luck.

I got my lumagen today so I can't wait to play around and see how the aspect stuff compares as well as 4k upscaling.

post #4428 of 10463 Old 06-05-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool, you got a good one! I'm not getting a replacement for this...on my 4th unit, so this is pretty minor in the big scheme of things. I don't want to push my luck.

I got my lumagen today so I can't wait to play around and see how the aspect stuff compares as well as 4k upscaling.

Nice - curious if you see and difference with the 4k upscale, and if you can pass deep color through it with the Darbee circuitry on (the external Darblet seems to choke in Deep Color - wanted to see if there was much of a difference with the new Mastered for 4k titles with xvYCC enabled)

post #4429 of 10463 Old 06-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice - curious if you see and difference with the 4k upscale, and if you can pass deep color through it with the Darbee circuitry on (the external Darblet seems to choke in Deep Color - wanted to see if there was much of a difference with the new Mastered for 4k titles with xvYCC enabled)

I can check that out. Hopefully I don't get lost in the setup tonight....those menus look ancient.

post #4430 of 10463 Old 06-06-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Technically you are correct. However;

1) Am I streaming everytime I want to watch the title, like current streaming methods?

2) If one can store the downloads, almost no one will have the capacity to keep more than a few dozen titles.

3) Streaming implies instant availability, so psychologically, waiting a day would not work well for many people. So yes, while we might say this is for the home theater enthusiast and not JSP, the reality is there is a push for broad adoption of 4k at all levels of the marketplace, so the expectations will be streaming=NOW.

4) There is flexibility having the media immediately available. There have been plenty of times we started film, only to find one or more of us didn't like it and wanted to watch something different. This takes 10 seconds with my media server, one minute with my Apple TV, and a couple of minutes getting my ass off the couch to change a disk.

5) Enthusiasts tend to want to own their titles I think. Yes, marginal things for the kids or one time viewing I don't mind renting on Apple TV. But I do like the idea of buying Blu Rays to have the highest quality currently available in perpetuity and instantly. Yes, if streaming was quick, you had access to any title at any time, and the video and audio quality was not compromised, streaming would be great

4k right now seems to be begging for physical media. There are too many obstacles right now to deliver any other way.

The only other thought I had was satellite. A new DTV receiver would need to be developed, but could four of five channel's worth of bandwidth be aggregated together to deliver 4k content from the heavens? Its not an answer to the larger need, but it might be an interesting way to break the ice with legitimate 4k content delivery, albeit from a set schedule of titles.

Hello,

The in-house Sony rep here at Fry's in SoCal advised that the movies will be stored on the server and will start downloading up to a month in advance of the release. That way the bandwidth of people's service isn't raped and it will be ready day-and-date when announced.

Also advised the server will have 2 TB of disk space and expansion options via USB.

FYI

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

post #4431 of 10463 Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Interesting. Would you in essence buy the content and then they would deliver it over some long period of tome rather than buying it if you wished after it was stored within one's server. The buy it but then having to wait several weeks for complete delivery would not be good for instant gratification whuch would othewuise be satisfied by going out and buying a a disc or having it physically delivered within a couple of days. I like the idea of ordering new titles in advance and having them to play the day of release but I don't like having to wait a considerable time to download an older title once I decide I want to watch it. Nothing is perfect.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4432 of 10463 Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone interested, my original 2.8 HP screen is available - please see my signature...

post #4433 of 10463 Old 06-08-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do you know if you have dust blobs? If I look into the lens while the projector is on, It seems like there might be something in there but cannot tell. However, there is no artifacts on the screen and the pic looks as good as the day I got it.
post #4434 of 10463 Old 06-09-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Been demoing the Sony over the weekend (and intend to buy it).

Wanted to confirm that the projector works very happily with the ISCO III lens.

I have the new Lumagen 2042 and wanted to try 4K upscaling but my legacy 35' HDMI cable seems incapable of passing the data and I get no image. Lumagen have confirmed that they have tested successfully but would like to get confirmation from others here that they also have the 204X playing nicely with the Sony. Ordered a high speed cable from Amazon for testing but they failed to deliver it in time frown.gif

I took a look at zooming for 2.35:1 but it takes way too long to do the zoom so I intend to stick with using the Radiance and ISCO for 2.35:1 as it provides instant swapping back to 1.78:1 for menu access etc.

Reality Creation was disappointing - even at its minimum setting it's too aggressive and the whole image, noise, grain and all get sharpened and look obviously "less good" and oversharp. I find the Darbee more successful as it "sharpens" more selectively, making the image look sharper without exacerbating noise and grain anywhere near as much as Reality Creation.

No problems with the IRIS on HIGH setting. Fade to black is absolutely lovely smile.gif The unfade, not so much, as it's obvious you're using an iris, but beyond that it's not obvious during normal viewing. The projector actually has decent native blacks anyway - I measured 16,000:1 (Klein K10-A reading from the projector) but the iris helps deliver deeper blacks and as above, I love that fade to black.

As others noted, the projector in Reference mode, measures almost perfect (Rec709/2.2) out of the box and like others I'm seeing about 1250 lumens calibrated, giving 12fL off my screen (136" wide 16:9/gain 0.85).

A very nice projector. Looking forward to seeing true 2160p/4K on it, but for now will enjoy great 1080p

Oh, finally, enjoyed engaging motionflow at HIGH for Wii Mario Kart gaming - makes the game look exceptionally fluid.

My cinema:

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #4435 of 10463 Old 06-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an ISCO III but I've never used it with the Sony. The Zoom memory has always worked great for me and just takes a few seconds. My ISCO III is a 1.33 and for the Sony 4K panel a 1.25 is really needed to get the benefit of using the full panel for brightness. Unless you have an issue with a large screen and not enough lumens, I wouldn't think you would need the lens.
post #4436 of 10463 Old 06-09-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Initial reports from a couple 1000 owners is the new lumagen's 4K upscale is soft. So far the best 4K upscaling I have seen is from the new Samsung 7500. I will have my hands on a lumagen soon and will test it. Though I have no plans to get one at this time for keeps since it won't pass 4K and if there is a possibility the 1000's 4K upscale is better (so far it's looking that way) from what I have been told. I am hoping for a DVDO Quick6 Video Scaler type solution which will do 4K. Their new Quick6 switch passes 4K and has a lot of cool features and it runs for just 399. Oh and the DVDO GUI is light years better than lumagen's 1989 look.
eek.gif

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #4437 of 10463 Old 06-09-2013, 11:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post

I have an ISCO III but I've never used it with the Sony. The Zoom memory has always worked great for me and just takes a few seconds. My ISCO III is a 1.33 and for the Sony 4K panel a 1.25 is really needed to get the benefit of using the full panel for brightness. Unless you have an issue with a large screen and not enough lumens, I wouldn't think you would need the lens.

I use the Radiance for stretching so the Sony's panel size is irrelevant. Also, if you want to use the Sony for scaling it supports 1.32 lenses.

The biggest issue I have with the zoom method is those "few seconds" - often at the start of a film, and sometimes during, I want to access the OSD to check settings are correct for viewing... with the Radiance I can *immediately* flip between aspect ratios allowing me to see things that are lost off the bottom of the screen in anamorphic mode. With the ZOOM method it's painful to do - zoom back to 1.78:1 - verify settings - zoom back to 2.35:1 - hold on, did I get that right - zoom back to 1.78:1 - yeah, I did - zoom back to 2.35:1 *painful* biggrin.gif

I'm also concerned that the Sony settings will "drift" over time due to all the mechanical movements involved.

Also, I'm pretty sure I saw artefacts in a crosshatch image after zooming, although I don't see what that should be. I'd need to check I wasn't doing something else to cause that.

So, either way works, but for me the ISCO is the preferred route.

My cinema:

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #4438 of 10463 Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Initial reports from a couple 1000 owners is the new lumagen's 4K upscale is soft. So far the best 4K upscaling I have seen is from the new Samsung 7500. I will have my hands on a lumagen soon and will test it. Though I have no plans to get one at this time for keeps since it won't pass 4K and if there is a possibility the 1000's 4K upscale is better (so far it's looking that way) from what I have been told. I am hoping for a DVDO Quick6 Video Scaler type solution which will do 4K. Their new Quick6 switch passes 4K and has a lot of cool features and it runs for just 399. Oh and the DVDO GUI is light years better than lumagen's 1989 look.
eek.gif

That the Lumagen's is "soft" suggests that others are too "sharp"... Lumagen is well known for it's clean scaling. Certainly the Sony's Reality Creation is way too aggressive and sharp (even at its minimum setting) to be usable, leaving just it's basic upscaling as the only viable option. It would be interesting to compare THAT mode vs Lumagen, and indeed I have a 2042 but unfortunately couldn't test 4K out from it while I had the Sony in for a demo over the weekend as my HDMI cable wouldn't pass the signal frown.gif

I need to run about 30' of HDMI... anybody recommend a working solution for 4K over this length?

My cinema:

post #4439 of 10463 Old 06-10-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Some OT question: in recent days I have not been getting notification from AVS about posts in the threads to which I am subscribed; anyone else experiencing this? (My setting in the preferences is still for 'immediate' notification.)
post #4440 of 10463 Old 06-10-2013, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Some OT question: in recent days I have not been getting notification from AVS about posts in the threads to which I am subscribed; anyone else experiencing this? (My setting in the preferences is still for 'immediate' notification.)

Same here.. something is off with the site..

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page