Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 10398 Old 01-10-2012, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had my VW1000ES delivered the last week of 2011. I'm living in Japan. While I have been thriled with its sharpness, I'm not impressed with its color reproduction. DCI is almost color effect and D65 is still way saturated. In standard mode, there is very basic parameter available and it is not enough. In service mode, there is lot more parameter but it is not intuitive and painful to control. My only hope now is Image Director 3, but my copy running on Windows 7 32-bit(64-bit is not supported) wouldn't recognize my projector no matter what, through LAN. Anybody has experience with same sort of things even with different Sony projectors?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 10398 Old 01-10-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremenfx1 View Post

I'm not impressed with its color reproduction.

That does not sound like Sony. THe VW95 or even HW30 haven been very good out of the box wrt REC709. Is there no preset on the VW1000 that is close to REC709?

Regards
Christoph
Contact via Public Profile
post #543 of 10398 Old 01-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
This projector is on the front of Home Theater magazine for February. Says there is a review inside.

post #544 of 10398 Old 01-10-2012, 03:30 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by samalmoe View Post

huh, what?

I just as confused as a 2000hr LED makes no sense
post #545 of 10398 Old 01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
...And here are some findings from HT Magazine as measured on a Stewart Studiotek 130 G3, 118 inches wide screen :
Native full-on/full-off contrast > 2.372:1 ( 21.35 ft-L full white, 0.009 ft-L full black)
Best contrast with dynamic iris On > 152.000:1 (21.35 ft-L full white, 0.00014 ft-L full black).
I read every issue of HT Magazine and, afaik, this is the lowest black level ever measured by the magazine as well as the widest contrast measurement, although due to the agressive multiplier of the dynamic iris some minor pumping was visible in some scenes.
No CMS controls (?) and Sony plans to implement one in the future but it's unclear when or if any of these early samples of the pj can be retrofitted.
Acceptably accurate Rec. 709 color gamut with color points very close to specs although the brightness of cyan and green was somewhat excessive.
Excellent grey-scale pre-calibration which turned exceptional after calibration.
Upconversion, while not perfect, will satisly most users but the most nit-pickers.
As expected, onscreen video resolution was on a class by itself, showing so much detail that the reviewer could easily spot subtle focus variations in the material, something that isn't noticeable on "standard" 1920x1080 projectors and theater screens.
post #546 of 10398 Old 01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

...And here are some findings from HT Magazine as measured on a Stewart Studiotek 130 G3, 118 inches wide screen :
Native full-on/full-off contrast > 2.372:1 ( 21.35 ft-L full white, 0.009 ft-L full black)
Best contrast with dynamic iris On > 152.000:1 (21.35 ft-L full white, 0.00014 ft-L full black).
I read every issue of HT Magazine and, afaik, this is the lowest black level ever measured by the magazine as well as the widest contrast measurement, although due to the agressive multiplier of the dynamic iris some minor pumping was visible in some scenes.
No CMS controls (?) and Sony plans to implement one in the future but it's unclear when or if any of these early samples of the pj can be retrofitted.
Acceptably accurate Rec. 709 color gamut with color points very close to specs although the brightness of cyan and green was somewhat excessive.
Excellent grey-scale pre-calibration which turned exceptional after calibration.
Upconversion, while not perfect, will satisly most users but the most nit-pickers.
As expected, onscreen video resolution was on a class by itself, showing so much detail that the reviewer could easily spot subtle focus variations in the material, something that isn't noticeable on "standard" 1920x1080 projectors and theater screens.

This sounds like another case of a pre-production unit being reviewing and published, lacking final key feature implementation and optimisations expected in a production unit.

I note though, Bremenfx1's comments on what appears to be occurring with his unit are a concern, as others have already noted. Lets hope they start to role out more units v soon so we can get more feedback..

post #547 of 10398 Old 01-10-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 29
OZ,
Mark explained it best. I was curious how he was getting one of these pjs for review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Here you go, the first official review now live:

Sony VPL-VW1000 4K PJ Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

This projector is on the front of Home Theater magazine for February. Says there is a review inside.

This has already been discussed a couple of pages back.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #548 of 10398 Old 01-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I have to say, pretty disappointed with the native contrast ratio, compared to some of their other native CR measurements:

JVC X7 - 23,725:1
JVC HD1 - 8752:1
Yamaha DPX1300 - 3,400:1
Infocus IN82 - 2,766:1
Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 9700 UB LCD - 2,491:1

post #549 of 10398 Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
first real units will be ship out from japan next few days or next week if everything runns well.
so depends on how long all the rest take expect the units at the dealer in 2-3weeks from now.
thats for us and europe.
i not think they can ship all ordered units at this time.

"""THAN""" we know how much lumen how much cr. this units will have.
"""THAN""" measurements makes sense.
post #550 of 10398 Old 01-10-2012, 05:12 PM

Liked: 20
The one HT reviewed was not final production and the one being shown at CES according to my info is not final production either.

I ain't selling magazines, or using one to hype a coming but unfinished projector (although I do understand why a magazine wants to be the first and why a company must supply them a pre production sample in order to have a published review at model release time), my only interest is in selling final production models to customers who I want to be super happy with their purchase. Oh yea. And in getting one myself. That said, even in the 95ES use of the CMS is not intuitive having extra controls beyond a normal CMS which one must know how to use and for which Sony really does not supply any instructions. When I get my final production sample, Tom and I will get its CMS fully fiqured out and will thoroughly explore the latest version of Sony's image director. If not, my Lumagen will provide any CMS controls I need to nail the colors.

BTW. The lightening strike my Lumagen took a while back, final did the unit in. A quick disassembly by me (easy) and shipping my main mother board back to Jim P at Lumagen resulted in a new board being in my hands in less than a week and I reinstalled it using just a phillips screw driver, took about 15 minutes and its now working perfectly. Even I was amazed at how much better my PQ became on a wide variety of in house projectors with the Lumagen reinstalled doing its job, scaling 720p to 1080p and deinterlacing 1080i to 1080p.

I wonder what the gentleman in Japan got if my info is correct?
post #551 of 10398 Old 01-10-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

OZ,
Mark explained it best. I was curious how he was getting one of these pjs for review.

This has already been discussed a couple of pages back.

Yes he does and really it's no different from what I alluded too and have mentioned in the recent past re my local senior contacts at Sony Commercial div. This has always pretty much ensured I've had new models in the very first batch to land locally, before even any of the retail distribs get their hands on units. My order goes into their system to ensure this soon as they are physically able to place advance orders with the factory.

The pre-prod review in HT was indeed discussed a few weeks back and commented on. I was thrown for a sec thinking it was a different review being quoted. Annoying when old info gets recycled and re-quoted. I'm only interested in real reviews upcoming, especially when people like W.Mayer get their hands on the production version fairly soon by what he's stating about shipments.

post #552 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Any sightings/reports from folks at CES?
post #553 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 AM

CES is now in its second day and there have been almost no posts. But if I were in Vegas, there are lots of things to do each night instead of posting. I think we will see a lot of show reports starting on Friday.
post #554 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 11
Hi

Could somebody please post a link to Kris Deering's review ?

Many thanks
post #555 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 11:51 AM

As far as I know he hasn't done a review. He did post a link earlier in this thread to the Home Theater Mag review.
post #556 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Any reviews would be meaningless as no one has a final production unit. Units shipping will have an improved light engine.
Sony is hoping to ship from Japan this week to all markets. This should be about a two week process before they hit dealers shelf's. 3 weeks if they are delayed.
post #557 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Any reviews would be meaningless as no one has a final production unit. Units shipping will have an improved light engine.
Sony is hoping to ship from Japan this week to all markets. This should be about a two week process before they hit dealers shelf's. 3 weeks if they are delayed.

The implication from poster Bremenfx1 above was that he had a retail unit already as he lives in Japan.
post #558 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for this info, Alan!
post #559 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Start your engines!!!

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #560 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Alan...Just wanted to tell you, I like your new hat!...LOL.
post #561 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Yes he does and really it's no different from what I alluded too and have mentioned in the recent past re my local senior contacts at Sony Commercial div. This has always pretty much ensured I've had new models in the very first batch to land locally, before even any of the retail distribs get their hands on units. My order goes into their system to ensure this soon as they are physically able to place advance orders with the factory.

It sounds like you are more than an end user enthusiast like Joerod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Edge View Post

Hi

Could somebody please post a link to Kris Deering's review ?

Many thanks

Kris just posted a link. I think he went by and saw the unit though. I think both Kris and Tom stated that this was a pre-pro unit and will do a proper review once the shipping pjs are out.

post #562 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 03:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Kris just posted a link. I think he went by and saw the unit though. I think both Kris and Tom stated that this was a pre-pro unit and will do a proper review once the shipping pjs are out.

and the link is ?
post #563 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM

Joe tells us to start our engines. What he really means is to smoke your tires, my engine is already on. Looks like a couple of more weeks. Gonna sell my Vandersteen 5As and Samsung SP-A900B to pay for help pay for this thing. LOOK FOR OUR PREORDER ANNOUNCEMENT in the next day or so.
post #564 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You would be correct in the sense that I have biz relationship with Sony Commercial Products div. I am fortunately able to utilise that to buy consumer display products directly and pre-order well ahead to ensure I get units from the first local shipment. Other than that, I am indeed a very keen end user enthusiast who's had experience with owning many of Sony's SXRD projectors since the first, when the Qualia 004 came out.

post #565 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelMN View Post

and the link is ?

I posted it earlier.

post #566 of 10398 Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I attended Sony's demo today.

Much better demo format than CEDIA -- 2.35 Stewart screen, with Dragon Tattoo trailer from Blu-Ray and the Spider-Man trailer in 4k. Also some still images from a digital camera and a clip explaining 4k. No attempt at side by side, and the room was dark for the demo.

I sat close so I could try to appreciate the 4k resolution. Probably too close at (I think) a bit less than 1SW.

The trailers were a bit annoying -- the Dragon Tattoo trailer had many short snatches of video with rapid drops to black between. So, it was quite hard to form a good impression.

I did see a few scaling artifacts in some of the explanatory graphics that I doubt would be visible at normal distances and with normal content.

The Spider-Man resolution looked great!

I felt that the blacks were a bit lacking, and there was some chroma banding in the Spidey clips. The banding may be down to the demo content as at CEDIA. The blacks may be due to the preproduction status.

So, I don't feel that I can say anything definitive at this point and I will await reviews of a production unit.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #567 of 10398 Old 01-12-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

The one HT reviewed was not final production and the one being shown at CES according to my info is not final production either.

While waiting to get into the demo at CES, I had a long chat with Sony person manning the line. He said not only was the unit in demo was production machines but also the one sitting on the stand. He said the picture quality was far better than CEDIA which he said had issues.

Alas, the demo was short and didn't show a whole lot. During the start of the demo, the black frame that lasted good number of seconds was relatively bright. They must have the dynamic iris off or it doesn't shut off enough to let so much light through.

The still images had issues with the picture becoming unstable. They rebooted things a couple of times but could not get it working. So they moved on. This means we only saw one 1080p image and one 4K.

As was noted, contouring was quire prevalent. It is hard to know if this is due to poor conversion to 8-bits, compression artifacts or the projector. Seeing how this is repeating after the CEDIA demo is disappointing.

Outside of these, I thought the picture was very good. The image as expected had a fine/smooth structure. Wish there had stuff like they used at CEDIA so that one could better judge scalar performance and such. I guess we have to wait for reviews to get that kind of detail.

If the issues with the still image are in the projector, then I say they have more work to do to release the projector than they think .

BTW, 4K is only supported at 24p due to limitations of the interface.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #568 of 10398 Old 01-12-2012, 02:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Tough day over there! Looks like about April they will have their 790 Blu ray player that will output 4K. I would love to experiment with that an of course the Marvell chip in my Onkyo 3009 or Integra 80.3 which upscale a to 4K so we can judge it. I believe the Marvell chip will do 1080p 60 as well. I will confirm today.

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #569 of 10398 Old 01-12-2012, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
this will be a upscale only not native 4k bd.
a true native 4k bd will take "at least" one more year may longer.

so at ces 2013 if the maya caledar is not right we can see first samples i guess.
post #570 of 10398 Old 01-12-2012, 02:54 AM

These are color measurement done with Spyder color meter, AVSHD disc and CoourHCFR, targeting D65 + BT709. My VW1000ES is serial 1200030.

DCI mode

Reference mode (D65 + BT709)

BTW, is there anybody help me with ImageDirector3 experience?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page