Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 268 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #8011 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mark, the projector does not need to be connected to the network. There is a pairing code that the server will display on the projector and must be entered on the tablet to associate the tablet and server. You must connect the server to HDMI 2. If you bought the upgrade from AVS or anyone else, the dealer must schedule your appointment. A member mentioned this last night and mike Garrett told me the same this morning.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Ben, I have already hooked two pucks up to panels. I have published the hook up procedure, I just wanted to be sure about the projector because I haven't done a hook up for the projector and a member asked me by PM whether a lan to the projector was needed for the puck to work. He called Sony and the "guy" said it was required. I didn't think it was but I didn't have the projector hook up instructions for the puck at home and they are not on line at Sony e support.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #8013 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Ben, I have already hooked two pucks up to panels. I have published the hook up procedure, I just wanted to be sure about the projector because I haven't done a hook up for the projector and a member asked me by PM whether a lan to the projector was needed for the puck to work. He called Sony and the "guy" said it was required. I didn't think it was but I didn't have the projector hook up instructions for the puck at home and they are not on line at Sony e support.

My instructions are clearly a slightly edited version of that for the XBR84X900. The headings and most instructions refer to the projector, but there are a few accidental mentions of the TV where it should say projector. So, my instructions don't mention the need for a LAN connection to the projector, but that may not be definitive. After seeing the setup and realizing port 2 is special, I'm guessing no LAN connection is needed for the projector.

I did find the instruction's suggestion to use an Ethernet powerline adapter to be a great suggestion for me. I'd forgotten about the gadgets and didn't realize how fast and reliable they've become. I may connect one adapter to the server and the other to the airport extreme.

Ben
post #8014 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

When I read the projector hook up instructions, I seem to remember them being exactly the same for the 84XBR900A with the projector being substituted for the panel. Thanks for the help Ben.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8015 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I double checked with my Sony "guy" and he said the LAN connection is not required...so I suppose I was having other flaky issues going on when I disconnected it last night...

post #8016 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

I'm still sold on the ZF2100GLS. I bought 3 more pairs recently. I haven't seen anything new in RF glasses since these came out. Xpand introduced the IR/RF 3D lite glasses last year, but after my experience with their 2 previous models, I wasn't keen on experimenting with them.
Quote:

I'm still sold on the ZF2100GLS. I bought 3 more pairs recently. I haven't seen anything new in RF glasses since these came out. Xpand introduced the IR/RF 3D lite glasses last year, but after my experience with their 2 previous models, I wasn't keen on experimenting with them.

I am pretty much who you on both brands. I did however make he Monsters come back to life by hooping them up to a new 2.1A and charging (strictly) cable. I was shocked when their red lights were on! I am now modifying my glasses charging station. I still may grab another one or two ZF2100 pairs. Thanks for the feedback.

smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #8017 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Need to know more, so I'm not getting belligerent yet, but this has the potential for pissing off a lot of Sony customers who just invested (or are about to invest) in the FMP/tablet, and there's a newer box already announced? Why?

Yet another reason to put off the upgrade until HDMI 2.1 or 2.2 comes out. Although I guess there is a chance there might be a decent quantity of (non-Sony) 4k content coming down the pike this year before the Blu-Ray 4k standard which might be announced by the end of the year.

They might do more than one upgrade, there has been a lot of discussion in this thread already about those possibilities, but nothing is definite past this one where we get the puck that is obsolete basically before it is in our hands.

Matt
post #8018 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

Yet another reason to put off the upgrade until HDMI 2.1 or 2.2 comes out. Although I guess there is a chance there might be a decent quantity of (non-Sony) 4k content coming down the pike this year before the Blu-Ray 4k standard which might be announced by the end of the year.

They might do more than one upgrade, there has been a lot of discussion in this thread already about those possibilities, but nothing is definite past this one where we get the puck that is obsolete basically before it is in our hands.

My take on all of this is that I'm paying $2500 dollars to keep my (expensive) projector from being obsolete and basically getting it upgraded to be the equivalent of the newly released 1100 with respect to connectivity, functionality, and performance. This should ensure that we'll be in good shape for at least a few years. I'd pay that regardless of the server, tablet, or bulb. I'll need a bulb and would want a Sony supplied bulb, so that drops the price of admission to less than $2K. Plus, we will get to immediately watch a lot of 4K content, such as new release movies and TV shows, that will be enjoyable and desirable, not just sunrise earth and a coyote licking itself, like when HD was so slowly being introduced. The tablet looks very nice, much nicer than expected. I'm taking the patient approach and hoping that there is no way a new 1100 purchaser is going to get hosed, and we get to ride their coattails. I'm cautiously very optimistic. I've always been an early adopter and got used to being left out when the second generation technology relegated my expensive, first gen stuff to stack on top of my prior disappointment. This Sony upgrade deal and its tremendous push to bring meaningful 4K content to us now seems awesome to me. How do you think the guys who bought the JVC/Meridian 4K projectors at 200K feel? I wish my dad were rich, a trust fund would make this hobby so much less stressful. smile.gif

Ben
post #8019 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post

My take on all of this is that I'm paying $2500 dollars to keep my (expensive) projector from being obsolete and basically getting it upgraded to be the equivalent of the newly released 1100 with respect to connectivity, functionality, and performance.

I'm fine with that, what I was hoping would Sony would put off offering this upgrade until later. I'll have to go with what they throw at us, but it seems kind of pointless to upgrade this "soon". Silly to be calling it soon but HDMI 2.0 is a joke. I think they are really doing it for HDCP 2.2, not the questionable advantages of HDMI 2.0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post

Plus, we will get to immediately watch a lot of 4K content, such as new release movies and TV shows, that will be enjoyable and desirable, not just sunrise earth and a coyote licking itself, like when HD was so slowly being introduced.

Except we already found out from CES that some content is only going to be playable on built-in TV apps, with no indication of when any other devices are going to get it. Like 4K Netflix. The streaming content is what I'm most interested in because I want to buy physical media, not streams, and at least with Netflix it is all-you-can-eat.

Matt
post #8020 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 02:44 PM

Unless we live in a Google optical network city, I just don't see how you can stream real/good quality 4K with the existing cable infrastructure. Blu-ray is still heads and shoulders better than anything cable can serve up, even compared to the cable networks that require low compression. Netflix or Amazon "HD" is a joke. Plus, you'd need a rocking, wired, in-home setup to stream at these rates. I think the download model is the most likely way things will go until Time Warner et al make Netflix and Amazon pipes part of the cable box service. UHD bluray would be great.

Ben
post #8021 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I like the approach of down loading a high quality load to a storage device in your media server or blu ray player and then you buying a key to use it. I don't mind waiting a few days for the download to be completed. Is this any different from how many store their content now. They burn the disc and then never use it again. Sell it on e bay. At least a down load not copyable would be better protect the content provider.

Mark Haflich

post #8022 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I like the approach of down loading a high quality load to a storage device in your media server or blu ray player and then you buying a key to use it. I don't mind waiting a few days for the download to be completed. Is this any different from how many store their content now. They burn the disc and then never use it again. Sell it on e bay. At least a down load not copyable would be better protect the content provider.

Not for me...who plans to watch a certain movie 1-2 days in advance? Two weeks ago, my wife and I decided to watch "Elysiium" (why we decided this deserves a therapy session). I thought it was prefetched on the FMP, but it wasn't, so Apple got a rental instead, and we started watching in seconds.

I keep every Blu Ray I rip, so if my storage ever has a catastrophic failure, I at least could rebuild.

Streaming could work if the bandwidth could ever get there and quality wasn't materially affected, which I doubt we would see for some time...but overnight downloads is poo.

post #8023 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am pretty much who you on both brands. I did however make he Monsters come back to life by hooping them up to a new 2.1A and charging (strictly) cable. I was shocked when their red lights were on! I am now modifying my glasses charging station. I still may grab another one or two ZF2100 pairs. Thanks for the feedback.

smile.gif

I found that my monsters went a bit flakey a while ago, batteries not holding charge well at all. So I found myself gravitating towards the optomas more and more. Plus the lighter weight is a bonus.

post #8024 of 10501 Old 01-10-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How was the quality from the instant apple juice?

Mark Haflich

post #8025 of 10501 Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent

post #8026 of 10501 Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Of course he loved the Apple juice. Thrang's a die hard Apple fan. If they delivered a cup of diarrhea he would tell you it tasted like a black and white shake. smile.gif

Here's proof. A picture of Thrang leaving the Apple store.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #8027 of 10501 Old 01-11-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Of course he loved the Apple juice. Thrang's a die hard Apple fan. If they delivered a cup of diarrhea he would tell you it tasted like a black and white shake. smile.gif

Here's proof. A picture of Thrang leaving the Apple store.

How you liking that Mac Mini you bought?smile.gif

post #8028 of 10501 Old 01-11-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

How you liking that Mac Mini you bought?smile.gif

lol! smile.gif Love it..

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #8029 of 10501 Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

I found that my monsters went a bit flakey a while ago, batteries not holding charge well at all. So I found myself gravitating towards the optomas more and more. Plus the lighter weight is a bonus.

I will ride the Monsters as long as they will go (looks like one pair no matter what refuses to wake up) and as they die off will just replace them with the Optomas. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #8030 of 10501 Old 01-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
adidino,
Ever sense you changed your photo it kept reminding me of someone, Its one of my favorite actors!

post #8031 of 10501 Old 01-13-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post

adidino,
Ever sense you changed your photo it kept reminding me of someone, Its one of my favorite actors!

He wanted to use this, but I implored him not to....

BOBCAT likes this.

post #8032 of 10501 Old 01-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

For all of you young people that don't recognize the actor, here is a hint:

He kicked the bucket in the movie Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World!
post #8033 of 10501 Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It reminds me of Jimmy Durante.

Mark Haflich

post #8034 of 10501 Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

"Ha chachacha...."

post #8035 of 10501 Old 01-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

And his famous good night line at the end of his TV show?
post #8036 of 10501 Old 01-13-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Good night Mrs Calabash, wherever you are. I think someone he once met in north Carolina. I am showing my age.

Mark Haflich

post #8037 of 10501 Old 01-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

A gold star!
post #8038 of 10501 Old 01-13-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post

adidino,

What a schnozzola!

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #8039 of 10501 Old 01-13-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 418
After reading the above posts, I have come to the conclusion, you guys need your upgrades desperately. smile.gif
stevenjw likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #8040 of 10501 Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I love this 1000ES owners club. Not only is it a sharing technical stuff but its social as well. Really a model of how other threads should be.

Mark Haflich

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page