Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 277 - AVS Forum
First ... 275  276  277 278  279  ... Last
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Sony VPL-vw1000
BOBCAT's Avatar BOBCAT 10:52 AM 01-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by medman2k1
Where would I find an authorized dealer that would order this for me even though i did not purchase the projector there? Any ideas?

Perhaps AVS could help.
Check with Mike Garrett.

medman2k1's Avatar medman2k1 02:21 PM 01-23-2014
As a follow up, the projector has to be shipped to Larado!

Im outside the 60 day window.

So no superbowl this year......

I have to wait until this weekend when I can get some help taking it down from the ceiling and boxing it up
turls's Avatar turls 04:23 PM 01-23-2014
There was quite a bit of discussion about the 3 year bulb/lamp warranty from Mack Camera. I bought this almost 2 years ago. Has anybody gone through the process and what was it like? I'm wondering about it because the fine print says you have to send the old bulb back first. Not doing that until I get the spare from the upgrade.

Of course when I bought it they never responded to a question about what the procedure is like to get the replacement...now they did not answer the e-mail I sent yesterday trying to initiate the replacement (I guess I could call but if my bulb was actually out I would expect quicker response than that if they have to have the old bulb first).
hifiaudio2's Avatar hifiaudio2 04:32 PM 01-23-2014
I did not have to send the bulb back on my first replacement. Havent tried the second yet.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 04:43 PM 01-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgerhards View Post

I purchased the sony vplvs100es through the sony store, and there appears to be no process in place for me to order the upgrade. I've talked to at least 7 different sony reps in different sony departments and they were not able to help me. Where would I find an authorized dealer that would order this for me even though i did not purchase the projector there? Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post

Perhaps AVS could help.
Check with Mike Garrett.

Would be happy to help you if I can.
hifiaudio2's Avatar hifiaudio2 04:49 PM 01-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

There was quite a bit of discussion about the 3 year bulb/lamp warranty from Mack Camera. I bought this almost 2 years ago. Has anybody gone through the process and what was it like? I'm wondering about it because the fine print says you have to send the old bulb back first. Not doing that until I get the spare from the upgrade.

Of course when I bought it they never responded to a question about what the procedure is like to get the replacement...now they did not answer the e-mail I sent yesterday trying to initiate the replacement (I guess I could call but if my bulb was actually out I would expect quicker response than that if they have to have the old bulb first).

I think you will need to initiate the replacement through their web site.
I also don't think they view their service as a quick emergency replacement for a dead bulb. Mine was not in stock and took a couple of weeks.

The only bad part of the ordeal was that they claimed they could not see the Outlook email attachment that was my receipt (cant remember if it was the AVS receipt or the Tapeworks Texas receipt for the service that they wanted. In any case, make sure you have everything handy. They will ask for it.
turls's Avatar turls 06:10 PM 01-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

I think you will need to initiate the replacement through their web site.
I also don't think they view their service as a quick emergency replacement for a dead bulb. Mine was not in stock and took a couple of weeks.

I tried to do that, and it points you to use the "local service" e-mail address. It looks like they have gone back through the years between reimbursing and sending you out one. Reimbursing would be problematic with the bulb included in the 1000ES upgrade, so hopefully they will just send me one. Thanks for the info.
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 09:27 PM 01-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Mark, report for duty, High Power has been brought up in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434826/projector-mini-shootout-thread-2013-2014

Not without you posting a smiley after your err command. smile.gif


Actually, no time till next week. On a job till then.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 06:25 AM 01-24-2014
I am hearing that the upgrade is still planned for in home. smile.gif
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 06:25 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Not without you posting a smiley after your err command. smile.gif


Actually, no time till next week. On a job till then.

smile.gif
BOBCAT's Avatar BOBCAT 08:38 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Well, I am happy to report I know what the delay is. I am sure Thrang does as well. Should be "solved" by the end of this week and onward they will (our Upgrade Kits) march into our homes. Had nothing to do with the chips per se. I am just sad that I won't have to do all my troubleshooting...

smile.gif
Guess Joe couldn't tell what the hangup was.
millerwill's Avatar millerwill 10:38 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I am hearing that the upgrade is still planned for in home. smile.gif

Thx for the update, Mike. Does this mean the 'kits' will be shipped out to us soon? Also, do you know whether or not we will have to sign for them when delivered?
joerod's Avatar joerod 11:36 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post

Guess Joe couldn't tell what the hangup was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post

Guess Joe couldn't tell what the hangup was.

Not my place to say. smile.gif

Just was happy to report we were moving finally....
Ben Withrow's Avatar Ben Withrow 02:38 PM 01-24-2014
Joerod, what are your guesses on compatibility of the upgrade with 4k future standards?
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 02:58 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Thx for the update, Mike. Does this mean the 'kits' will be shipped out to us soon? Also, do you know whether or not we will have to sign for them when delivered?

Working on it, but it is not going very fast. Signing for a kit is all up to you. We ship pretty much everything signature required, unless the customer requests no signature. Do you want me to note your upgrade as no signature required?
joerod's Avatar joerod 03:28 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post

Joerod, what are your guesses on compatibility of the upgrade with 4k future standards?

I predict what we get in this upgrade will be 100% compatible. I can't go into detail exactly why but just call it a hunch. wink.gif
Johnsteph10's Avatar Johnsteph10 05:00 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I predict what we get in this upgrade will be 100% compatible. I can't go into detail exactly why but just call it a hunch. wink.gif

Does that mean the 18g chips vs. 10?
mookie b's Avatar mookie b 07:11 PM 01-24-2014
So, it looks like most people are still waiting for their upgrade like me. What are people doing for long HDMI runs to the projector? Will a HDMI 1.4 cable suffice? I think mine is about 30 feet.

I've got a handful of 6 foot 18Gbps for the components, but not sure what to do on the run to the projector since the longest I can see for a cable with the HDMI 2.0 specs is 15 feet....
Ben Withrow's Avatar Ben Withrow 08:01 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

So, it looks like most people are still waiting for their upgrade like me. What are people doing for long HDMI runs to the projector? Will a HDMI 1.4 cable suffice? I think mine is about 30 feet.

I've got a handful of 6 foot 18Gbps for the components, but not sure what to do on the run to the projector since the longest I can see for a cable with the HDMI 2.0 specs is 15 feet....

I"m in the same boat. I have a high quality, but long, HDMI cable that is built into the walls. I think it is 35'. I also have several CAT 6 cables for optional baluns, control, etc. There are some baluns that say they'll bass 4K well over 100', but I'm not sure if they have to be HDMI/HDCP compliant (i.e. 2.0 compliant to work with the puck and other TBD devices) or if they are simply pass through devices. I'm hoping for the later, if my cable doesn't work. Does anyone know whether a balun is simply a passthrough device or if they have to be HDMI/HDCP compliant devices?
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:12 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post

I"m in the same boat. I have a high quality, but long, HDMI cable that is built into the walls. I think it is 35'. I also have several CAT 6 cables for optional baluns, control, etc. There are some baluns that say they'll bass 4K well over 100', but I'm not sure if they have to be HDMI/HDCP compliant (i.e. 2.0 compliant to work with the puck and other TBD devices) or if they are simply pass through devices. I'm hoping for the later, if my cable doesn't work. Does anyone know whether a balun is simply a passthrough device or if they have to be HDMI/HDCP compliant devices?

Well, I'm close to 35 ft also...............................................interested in the answer too.
G-Rex's Avatar G-Rex 08:32 PM 01-24-2014
I have had my eye on this optical high bandwidth cable, which is spec'd to 4K 60hz 16 gbps. A friend uses it on his 95es (1080p) with no issues.

http://celeritytek.com/product.html
ccool96's Avatar ccool96 08:49 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post

I"m in the same boat. I have a high quality, but long, HDMI cable that is built into the walls. I think it is 35'. I also have several CAT 6 cables for optional baluns, control, etc. There are some baluns that say they'll bass 4K well over 100', but I'm not sure if they have to be HDMI/HDCP compliant (i.e. 2.0 compliant to work with the puck and other TBD devices) or if they are simply pass through devices. I'm hoping for the later, if my cable doesn't work. Does anyone know whether a balun is simply a passthrough device or if they have to be HDMI/HDCP compliant devices?

Well with the Sony puck I have run it thru 50' hdmi cables I bought on amazon for $25.00. It passes 4k @24hz just fine. Idk about 4k@ 60hz, but who knows when we will even see something that can support that.

On another note I tried a snap AV HDMI HD Base-T balun. They said it would pass 4k up to 75-100'. It passes 1080p upto 330'. I couldn't get it to work with the Sony puck, so I thought it might be the new HDCP causing the problem. So then I tried my Apple MacBook Pro at 4K @ 24hz. It wouldn't pass it either and it is not protected by HDCP. This was just using 30' of CAT5.

So I can get just about any HDMI up to 50' to work just fine. But I haven't got a balun to pass 4k, with or without HDCP.
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 09:11 PM 01-24-2014
So many now know the reason for the delay its ridiculous. A really trivial issue having nothing to do with the projector. Can't say more but really no big deal.


What does the mod do? We all know exactly what. What will the 4K standard (let's say Bluray standard) be, whatever Sony wants it to be which is a really dumbed down standard, so WHOOPEE the Sony projectors wil be compatible with it. Is that a good thing? You are happy your projector won't be made obsolete. NO! It sucks. Hopefully there will be a formatr war with Sony on the wromg side of a higher better standard.
ccool96's Avatar ccool96 09:25 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

So many now know the reason for the delay its rediculous. A really trivial issue having nothing to do with the projector. Can't say more but really no big deal.


What does the mod do? We all know exactly what. What will the 4K standard (let's say Bluray standard be), what ever Sony wants it to be which is a really dumbed down standard, so WHOOPEE the Sony projectors wil be compatible with it. Is that a good thing? You are happy yourprojector won't be made obsolete. NO! It sucks. Hopefully there will be a formatr war with Sony on the wromg side of a higher better standard.

There is a simple answer. DCI content for all! Once you see 4K DCI content, a single movie half a terabyte, it's hard to live with anything else. No compression. 12 bit color. But streaming that will probably be a problem for most! Lol
G-Rex's Avatar G-Rex 09:54 PM 01-24-2014
Ron Jones posted on the 4K Blu-ray UHD thread:

"Remember that HDMI allows the source and the display to negotiate to agree on the best format supported by both devices. We know that the current Sony 4K displays are limited to 4:2:0 with 8-bits at 60 Hz but what formats can they support at 24Hz, which is what we will be dealing with for most future movie releases on 4K Blu-ray? 4K video @ 24 Hz using 4:2:2 at 12-bit depth is within the bandwidth limits of HDMI 2.0 chips that can only go up to 10.2 Gbps (which is the case for the latest Sony projectors). So this would not be a HDMI issue and if the Sony projectors cannot support this format then that is strictly a limitation in the projector's internal processing. I looked at the operating manual for the VW600ES and found tables under the heading of "preset signals" on pages 53 and 54 and found that for the 4096 x 2160 and the 3840 x 2160 signals that are at 50Hz and 60Hz there is a note that says "Available for YUV420 format signal only" which means 4:2:0 format. However for those 4K signals at 24Hz and 30Hz that note does not apply. The omission is they don't actually list what other chroma subsampling formats and bit depths they actually do support for input signals at the lower refresh rates. So perhaps 4:2:2 is supported at 12-bit depth is already supported after all. Do you have any info from Sony as to what the actual supported formats are for 4K @ 24Hz signals?."

Though I disagree with Sony's decision to go with the 10.2 gbps chips, doesn't Ron's post that 4k Blu-ray movies will run at 24hz and even the 2.0 hdmi standard with 10.2 chip will allow for 4:2:2 at 12 bit depth show that our concerns may be for naught? How many 4k discs will ever be mastered at 48hz, like the Hobbit...hardly any.
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 04:42 AM 01-25-2014
I agree that the present HDMI input chips may be fast enough but that doesn't mean the projector could fully utilize what is possible over 10.2 GBS. The solution is simple, dumb down the standard. Try feedng a 4K signal not encrypted into the projector. Don't you love the features available? Maybe processor limitations. Yes. That's it.
sner's Avatar sner 10:11 AM 01-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

I have had my eye on this optical high bandwidth cable, which is spec'd to 4K 60hz 16 gbps. A friend uses it on his 95es (1080p) with no issues.

http://celeritytek.com/product.html

My dealer used the celerity fiber optic cables last month since I required 60 ft. run. They have worked flawlessly so far. They do need power at the receiving end (but not on transmit end). I currently am running two sets: one from my Classe SSP to the Sony and the other will go directly from the FMP-X1 to the Sony when the puck arrives.
G-Rex's Avatar G-Rex 11:15 AM 01-25-2014
Please keep us informed how the Celerity works at 4k when the puck arrives.
thestewman's Avatar thestewman 06:34 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sner View Post

My dealer used the celerity fiber optic cables last month since I required 60 ft. run. They have worked flawlessly so far. They do need power at the receiving end (but not on transmit end). I currently am running two sets: one from my Classe SSP to the Sony and the other will go directly from the FMP-X1 to the Sony when the puck arrives.

That will be interesting
Sony has built in software to test how far the puck is from the display or projector. They test for that distance every time the system starts
It is less than 35 feet I believe.
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 07:23 PM 01-25-2014
I think it is much more than that. I did call and find out a while ago. It was something in the hundreds of feet.
Tags: Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
First ... 275  276  277 278  279  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop