post #8371 of 10566 Old 01-31-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Yuk Yuk. If you need help in doing it, give me a call. I will lead you through the process. smile.gif

Thank you. As always. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8372 of 10566 Old 01-31-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I originally ordered the 1100ES in November. My dealer said Sony showed a delivery date of 12/8.. Since then the date from Sony has moved four times. Last week I get an e-mail from dealer saying date from Sony was now 1/31. But yesterday another e-mail saying date is now 2/12. Why would Sony give any dates rather than "commit" to a questionable one?

I guess the good news is that in the meantime, I have Sony's demo 1100 which happened to be at my dealer in December and Sony let them keep it. So I got it installed on 12/20 with the plan to swap it out when mine came in the following week. At least I think it is 1100. The menu says Sony VPLVW1000 but the serial number is 1100035 and it says "Unit 7". Hopefully the 2/12 date is good but I'll believe it when I see it. My dealer has been very supportive throughout.

Bob Meixner
post #8373 of 10566 Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Yeah, I just feel bad for those that still have them in stock and not realizing after March/April no one will want to buy them because they won't be upgradable and most likely won't be compatible with 4K Blu-ray.

I really dont believe, that this wil ever happing, because then a lot off customers AND dealers would be very pissed at Sony - and no, I dont think Sony would be that stupid smile.gif

So I think, that the Europeans can relax a Little, and waite and see whats is going to happen ( hell, here, they havent even yet , get ready to do the upgrade / recieved some motherboards - even speaking about hearing about the upgrade biggrin.gif

BTW. I do trust Sony to take care off their 25.000,- dollars projector customers here too wink.gif

dj
post #8374 of 10566 Old 01-31-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by sner View Post

I originally ordered the 1100ES in November. My dealer said Sony showed a delivery date of 12/8.. Since then the date from Sony has moved four times. Last week I get an e-mail from dealer saying date from Sony was now 1/31. But yesterday another e-mail saying date is now 2/12. Why would Sony give any dates rather than "commit" to a questionable one?

I guess the good news is that in the meantime, I have Sony's demo 1100 which happened to be at my dealer in December and Sony let them keep it. So I got it installed on 12/20 with the plan to swap it out when mine came in the following week. At least I think it is 1100. The menu says Sony VPLVW1000 but the serial number is 1100035 and it says "Unit 7". Hopefully the 2/12 date is good but I'll believe it when I see it. My dealer has been very supportive throughout.

The dates on the Sony stocking sheet for their regional warehouses are guestimates. The present dates are at this point wishful thinking. We look to about the day before and look at the stocking date and see that Sony has changed them. I fear this will happen again next week.

As to whether your demo unit is in fact a 1100ES, I would be surprised since the menu info shows it as a 1000ES. I think the menu selections might be determinative if they have changed in the 1100ES. Thrang might be able to answer that since he has an upgraded to 1100ES. Another way of checking would be taking off the plate on the bottom of the projector covering the mother board and see if the input chip for HDMI 2 is different than the chip for HDMI 1. Another way would be if you have the server and tablet and can get a UHD etc image on input 2 from the server.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #8375 of 10566 Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ok Mark, enough of these serious postings.
What do you think about Jay Leno leaving the Tonight Show and Jemmy Fallon taking over?mad.gif
post #8376 of 10566 Old 01-31-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecossecableman View Post

It's not the £3000. It's what's the point if theres no benefit in the forceable future. No 4k means 3k to Sony for an obsolete upgrade unless , unless....

Ok, I think you've understood since before I responded to you that its a gamble if you skip the upgrade. That's different than not liking the answer, but it is what it is.

Matt
post #8377 of 10566 Old 01-31-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I miss Johnny Carson, Johnny, Ed, and Doc and his band. Tried watching the others, not for me. I did see Jay Leno live in Vegas many years back before he took over the Tonight show. I liked him but the few times I have watched recently he has become very stale. And I just don't like any of the bands except for the Max Weinberg 7

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8378 of 10566 Old 01-31-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Jay's was OK, but Jimmy Kimmel is the funniest IMHO.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #8379 of 10566 Old 01-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ok Mark,
Yes, I miss Johnny also. Liked Doc and his orchestra.
But I will miss Jay and some of his bits such as:
Monday headlines
Jay walking
Cat theater
Photo booth (dumb though)
99 cent store
What they found on ebay
Police blotter
Most all of his bits and reviews of dumb products.

Sometimes his monolog is lame, but he has some good ones too.
I find most of his guests interesting. I really like Terry Bradshaw and the interaction between him and Jay.
Don't understand why NBC dumped him as he's the top rated host on the early night show.
Sounds like age discrimination to me.
I don't think that Jimmy Fallon is funny at all, bad choice for a replacement. I give him about 6 months.
When NBC sees their ratings tank, I hope they fire the genius that fired Jay.
I hope the rumor that Jay may go to Fox is true, but for now will just switch over to CBS and watch Letterman.
Jay, don't scrap your set, you may be back!
Oh well, off of my soap box, back to the topic.
post #8380 of 10566 Old 01-31-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

At the current rate of progress, I would not be surprised to see the date extended, but if it was extended, we are talking a short extension. Not long enough to wait and see what 4K BD turns out to be.

Good to know..........

I'm waiting to see how this progresses...............so far, no good!

I'll probably succumb..........reluctantly!!!
post #8381 of 10566 Old 01-31-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I think I am going to swap out my lamp (from the upgrade kit) so I have a brand new one for the Super Bowl. May as well do that so at least it's one less thing.

I have been waiting for the upgrade to swap out my lamp (1900 hours), but decided to do it today pre-Super Bowl. I don't know when the upgrade guy will eventually arrive.

Looks great, but I have to admit even with 1900 hours the picture looked very good. My prior projector was a Runco and picture quality always dropped off significantly much quicker than the 1000.

I love this projector!
post #8382 of 10566 Old 01-31-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
My current lamp has about 850 hours but love the "keeping a spare" idea. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #8383 of 10566 Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

So I think, that the Europeans can relax a Little, and waite and see whats is going to happen ( hell, here, they havent even yet , get ready to do the upgrade / recieved some motherboards - even speaking about hearing about the upgrade biggrin.gif

BTW. I do trust Sony to take care off their 25.000,- dollars projector customers here too wink.gif

dj

So far, the lack of response to emails (only phone answers/pushback), lack of any 4k plan and ridiculous upgrade offer (compared to US) doesn't exactly inspire confidence on the level of care they are providing.... Now they got the £25000 not sure they really care much/at all. The way Sony Europe handles this will really make me think again about spending another £25k with them or recommend them to friend. A shame as the product itself is excellent.
post #8384 of 10566 Old 02-01-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In the US, we still don't have the upgrade process resulting in upgraded 1100ES yet. A few kits have been delivered and one beta test was performed months ago. Stay cool. You really don't need the upgrade now for anything if you are not going to get the puck and then hack its location etc. There is no deadline for a great package like here in the US. You are not getting responses because Sony where you are does not have a plan because really one is not needed yet.

Do I really need the upgrade now? Probably not considering how few movies I watch. I am being forced to get the upgrade now BECAUSE of an artificial deadline that I expect will be extended. In any event, as long as your dealer places an order for you before whatever becomes the real cut off date, you will be fine even if it takes Sony's subcontractor until June to do the job. OK I am being optimistic. August. I do expect that the contractor will place pressure on doing the job at a dealer's location instead of in your home. Huh? Why? You figure it out, Subcontractor will make money on doing many at one time and lose money for every home visit in the boonies. T o cut expenses the contractor will likely subcontract for the boonies to avoid the large expenses of travel. And God knows the skills of the subcontractors. How they gonna do that. By scheduling early dates for installs at a dealer and late dates for homes. You are hungry. Want dinner now? How about in 3 months. Watch it happen.

Anyhow. I don't mind doing it now. The deal is good even though the server will be serving as a boat anchor within a year. But my machine will be done at a dealer showroom. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8385 of 10566 Old 02-01-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

In the US, we still don't have the upgrade process resulting in upgraded 1100ES yet. A few kits have been delivered and one beta test was performed months ago. Stay cool. You really don't need the upgrade now for anything if you are not going to get the puck and then hack its location etc. There is no deadline for a great package like here in the US. You are not getting responses because Sony where you are does not have a plan because really one is not needed yet.

Do I really need the upgrade now? Probably not considering how few movies I watch. I am being forced to get the upgrade now BECAUSE of an artificial deadline that I expect will be extended. In any event, as long as your dealer places an order for you before whatever becomes the real cut of date, you will be fine even if it takes Sony's subcontractor until June to do the job. OK I am being optimistic. August. I do expect that the contractor will place pressure on doing the job at a dealer's location instead of in your home. Huh? Why? You figure it out, Subcontractor will make money on doing many at one time and lose money for every home visit in the boonies. to cut expenses the contractor will likely subcontract for the boonies to avoid the large expenses of travel. And God knows the skills of the subcontractors.How they gonna do that. By scheduling early dates for installs at a dealer and late dates for homes. You are hungry. Want dinner now? How about in 3 months. Watch it happen.

Anyhow. I don't mind doing it now. The deal is good even though the server will be serving as a boat anchor within a year. But my machine will be done at a dealer showroom. smile.gif

Mark, Are you pretty sure (or just guessing) that we will be able to take our 1000's to a local Sony showroom to have the upgrade kit installed?
post #8386 of 10566 Old 02-01-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Do I really need the upgrade now? Probably not considering how few movies I watch. I am being forced to get the upgrade now BECAUSE of an artificial deadline that I expect will be extended. In any event, as long as your dealer places an order for you before whatever becomes the real cut of date, you will be fine even if it takes Sony's subcontractor until June to do the job. OK I am being optimistic. August. I do expect that the contractor will place pressure on doing the job at a dealer's location instead of in your home. Huh? Why? You figure it out, Subcontractor will make money on doing many at one time and lose money for every home visit in the boonies. to cut expenses the contractor will likely subcontract for the boonies to avoid the large expenses of travel. And God knows the skills of the subcontractors.How they gonna do that. By scheduling early dates for installs at a dealer and late dates for homes. You are hungry. Want dinner now? How about in 3 months. Watch it happen.

Most of what I consider the total cost of this upgrade is for the in-house service in the US. Subtract out Sony's costs for a lamp, tablet, puck, and MB, and it still leaves 50% for the labor. It's even more for the owners that sell their puck and tablet to recover some of the cost. As such, especially since there's no rush as you point out, I'm getting my money's worth with in-home service. I don't want to add to my pain by having to transport the PJ for service and most likely be without it while they get around to upgrading it. Time is money and I don't wish to waste any. In-house service or bust.

Now if Sony would let me pay say $1,000 for just a MB upgrade at a dealer's location/repair center (most likely near Baltimore) or send it to Laredo, I'd be willing to go that route. They can keep the puck, tablet, and lamp.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #8387 of 10566 Old 02-01-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Now if Sony would let me pay say $1,000 for just a MB upgrade at a dealer's location/repair center (most likely near Baltimore) or send it to Laredo, I'd be willing to go that route. They can keep the puck, tablet, and lamp.

Great idea!! Throw out the puck and tablet...........yet, I'll take the lamp with added cost.
post #8388 of 10566 Old 02-01-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I know there was a thread for 4K clips..but the search didn't come up with one.

These are a bit pricey, $100+ for 13 seconds, however:

http://www.oceanfootage.com/stock_video/Red_One_UW_video.htm#
Jean_Pierre likes this.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #8389 of 10566 Old 02-02-2014, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 70
"The deal is good even though the server will be serving as a boat anchor within a year."

Yes Mark, and your RedRay player is a virtual anchor !
Let us know which one floats your boat the best. rolleyes.gifsmile.gif
post #8390 of 10566 Old 02-02-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Its a wonderful loop player. JVC makes a UHD 84 inch panel for AVAD and JVC supplies displaying AVADS, with a Redray player because it doesn't have any other source at this point. I don't think Red is making anymore at this point but it clearly is not a consumer product and the hypothetical 4K independent film content provider appears to be defunct.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8391 of 10566 Old 02-02-2014, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just had an 1100ES installed and it still has not been calibrated by the dealer (it took them a long time to get the 4k media player working and they indicated that they wanted to wait for the projector to burn in for a while).  Everything seems fine except for sports on Comcast cable in 1080p.  The motion is blurry and I was wondering if there is a setting for this which will improve this.  I use the TV picture preset and have tried several of the others.  Thanks.

post #8392 of 10566 Old 02-02-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't have Comcast cable but is it really 1080p 60? I would assume its 1080i. The info screen if I remember correctly should show the current input. In any event, in the picture menu for the mode you sre in you can switch on two degrees of motion handling for video. Try the low mode. Try switching out of film mode and go to reference. Then switch on motion flow to low.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8393 of 10566 Old 02-02-2014, 07:52 AM

Thanks Mark.  Comcast's X-1 box has a 1080p video setting in the menu, but as you mention, the content is probably never 1080p.  I will try the changes in the picture menu that you mention.  Thanks again.

post #8394 of 10566 Old 02-02-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9999 View Post

Thanks Mark.  Comcast's X-1 box has a 1080p video setting in the menu, but as you mention, the content is probably never 1080p.  I will try the changes in the picture menu that you mention.  Thanks again.

I suggest you let the projector do all deinterlacing and scaling. Time Warner provides an option to output the native resolution, which is 720P or 1080i depending on the channel (I think). In short, I'd let the $28k machine play with the signal over the $50 cable box.

As for motion, bright tv is a good reset for sports and motion flow is already set to high. Keep in mind that the cable signal is highly compressed, much more that bluray, so motion is tough to handle with cable. The bigger the screen, the bigger the warts.

Ben
post #8395 of 10566 Old 02-02-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post

I suggest you let the projector do all deinterlacing and scaling. Time Warner provides an option to output the native resolution, which is 720P or 1080i depending on the channel (I think). In short, I'd let the $28k machine play with the signal over the $50 cable box.

As for motion, bright tv is a good reset for sports and motion flow is already set to high. Keep in mind that the cable signal is highly compressed, much more that bluray, so motion is tough to handle with cable. The bigger the screen, the bigger the warts.

I believe Reality Creation is also pumped higher by default on TV, though have since changed my settings.

Remember, all presets are just various combinations of suggested settings. If you took the time, you could make all presets look precisely the same. So just play with the default values a bit, lower RC, put on Motionflow as Mark suggested, and see. I calibrated a Cinema 1 preset in the Sony (basic black/white/sharpenss/RC/gamma etc.) and via a Lumagen. After that, I used those same settings for other presents, and salted them to taste (higher gamma for TV for example)

Ben makes a good point - is there a specific place in the Comcast back where you need to ensure native output is enabled?

Also what AVR are you using, and are you sending the signal through that (I presume yes). You want to make sure the video settings are turned off in the AVR/pre-pro, unless you're sure it does a better job processing video than the Sony (doubtful, only an external Lumagen in my experience so far does... )
post #8396 of 10566 Old 02-02-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The time warner output resolution settings are in the settings menu.

Ben
post #8397 of 10566 Old 02-02-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

To make it perfectly clear, get rid of 1080p out of the box. If possible set the box to native. My Fios box dores not have native. basically for HD you set it for either 720p or 1080i. When I watch something, I find out the native of that channel and change the box setting to that.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8398 of 10566 Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.  The Comcast box in the menu for video settings has a variety of settings, including 720p and 1081i and 1080p.  It does not have a setting labeled as automatic or native.  I have switched it from 1080p to 1080i and that seems a little better.  The processor that I am using is a Meridian HD621 into a Meridian 861v8.  I do not think that either are doing video processing, but am not positive.  

post #8399 of 10566 Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 AM

Thanks Mark.  I have it at 1080i and can check under the projectors information menu setting to see when the HD channel is 1080i or 720p.  

post #8400 of 10566 Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No. you can't. the projector will show what is being fed to it. if you are watching say ESPN or Fox, the native is 720p, but if you have the box set to 1080i, it will convert the 720p to 1080i and feed that to the projector which will read the incoming as 1080i. Unless you have a native setting on the box, to get best results by learning the native of each channel you regularly watch. Most will be 1080i including NBC sports NFL network etc. 720p Fox and ESPN. You can look this up on line.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page