Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 286 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8551 of 10781 Old 02-13-2014, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Since I've had my kit for a month or so, I wonder what went on between getting my board and the new wave of boards. I'm guessing the techs will have some additional boards in case issues pop up in the field.

Mike, any thoughts on board changes, since the first group came in?

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8552 of 10781 Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I was lazy tonight (not getting up to put in a BD!) and streamed 'Skyfall' from Netflix. But it looked so weak that I stopped it and put in my BD: INFINITELY sharper and more dynamic! Is this just the way it is? To get high quality does one just need to buy the BD and forget all these various download services (Netflix, Hula, Amazon, etc.)?
post #8553 of 10781 Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I was lazy tonight (not getting up to put in a BD!) and streamed 'Skyfall' from Netflix. But it looked so weak that I stopped it and put in my BD: INFINITELY sharper and more dynamic! Is this just the way it is? To get high quality does one just need to buy the BD and forget all these various download services (Netflix, Hula, Amazon, etc.)?

Pretty much, yes. I find Apple streaming to be better quality than Netflix, though they are close, and use it for non critical viewing. But it's still not the same as a well-authored Blu Ray. Plus no streaming service can provide lossless audio.
post #8554 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Pretty much, yes. I find Apple streaming to be better quality than Netflix, though they are close, and use it for non critical viewing. But it's still not the same as a well-authored Blu Ray. Plus no streaming service can provide lossless audio.

Don't want to sound like Chicken Little but...

These anecdotal reports are Legion for streaming and this is at best for 1080P media.  It makes one question the future quality of 4K streaming implementation and its real value.

It's stories like yours and having had the same experience streaming that keeps me very actively supporting my local rental store.

post #8555 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

It's stories like yours and having had the same experience streaming that keeps me very actively supporting my local rental store.

Not to mention uncertainty about running into bandwidth caps which are just going to get worse and more widespread, especially for those with monopoly or duopoly ISPs.

That being said, House of Cards (PS3 streaming) looked great this morning and I assume it was a high bandwidth draw time since I watched it right after it premiered.

Matt
post #8556 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Don't want to sound like Chicken Little but...

These anecdotal reports are Legion for streaming and this is at best for 1080P media.  It makes one question the future quality of 4K streaming implementation and its real value.

Ditto.

There's always Kaleidescape if you're willing to drop a fortune. Otherwise, start amassing Blu-rays. smile.gif
post #8557 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligborat View Post

Ditto.

There's always Kaleidescape if you're willing to drop a fortune. Otherwise, start amassing Blu-rays. smile.gif

The Kaleidescape Cinema One is not that bad and you get 50 free movies right now with it. Free movie offer ends on the 28th of this month. Call for details. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #8558 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I was going to post I was 39th but I wanted to give you an easy shot. I do this for Craig also. I am happy to be last in line. There is the rest of the Olympics to watch, the remainder of the regular college basketball season, the conference tourneys, the road to the final four, the masters {most of which I will watch on TV (I will be there for a couple of days)) and then the NBA and NHL playoffs.. None of this will be in 4K and my projector bulb is still bright enough.

Thank you for the setup. Just kidding with you regarding your spot. smile.gif

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #8559 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, I also noticed the weak audio from the Netflix source; didn't realize that one couldn't get high quality audio either.
post #8560 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 09:03 AM

There is no way to stream at bluray quality, let alone a comparable 4k quality, with existing infrastructures (on any wide scale). It could happen perhaps in a Google fiber city, but that is limited to one or two places.

The future has to be download and/or disk. Steaming isn't in the cards for quality viewing or listening. I like audio as much as video.

Ben
post #8561 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:

I finally tried Amazon to watch the final season of Breaking Bad after using Netflix for the rest. The Amazon video appeared noticeably better. While off topic, Breaking Bad was as good as advertised, if not better. I watched the entire series over the last few months. Simply great television, but beware, it is addictive.

Ben
post #8562 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The Kaleidescape Cinema One is not that bad and you get 50 free movies right now with it. Free movie offer ends on the 28th of this month. Call for details. smile.gif

Continuing off-topic, the Cinema One will only work with local storage on the unit, correct? Nothing will pull, for example, from a WHS server will it?

Matt
post #8563 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Also
There is NO lossless audio on the 4K Sony downloads from the Sony Entertainment network for the puck. The BD audio on a disk is much better
post #8564 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Yes Ben, it was addictive.
24 was addictive also, couldn't miss an episode.
There were a lot of complaints when 24 was canceled. Now I see that they are bringing it back.

Way back when we were discussing 4K and Sony's puck server, I pointed out that there was no way that the video quality would be very good as Sony would have to compress the programs so much to limit downloading time.
It would take fiber to the prem and DS3 bandwidth to get quality video which wouldn't be practical.
If you have internet over Comcast or another cable outfit, forget it, they will pull the plug on you for using too much of their shared bandwidth.
att limits the amount of usage per month, and charges you extra after you exceed it.
Just wait until 4K becomes popular, the net will be so bogged down, you will be lucky if your emails get across in a day.
I just don't see how quality video will be downloaded unless you trade off fast downloading for video quality.
It is like the old saying, " You can have it GOOD FAST CHEAP, Pick 2" If it is good and cheap, not going to be fast, if it is good and fast, its not going to be cheap.

I don't know for a fact, but I am guessing that the puck is preloaded with programing that is not compressed(edit, not compressed as much?), so that might be why people that had the upgrade remark that it look so good.
Also, I think that when Sony came up with this setup, they didn't really consider us, the projector owners wanting to use them on our big screen projectors.
Sony's vision was Joe Blow with his 65" flat panel screen watching the compressed downloaded movies, which would most likely look ok on that small screen.
Now with a 12' + screen, you can see all of the compression artifacts.
I just don't know, perhaps trading off picture quality for for 4k might not be so good until technology advances with a better way of downloading 4k content.
In a way, perhaps downloading lightly compressed 1080p and up converting to the projector may be better in the short term.
Like I said, I have no first hand knowledge of using the puck or Sony's service, so looking for comments from everyone that has.
post #8565 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

Continuing off-topic, the Cinema One will only work with local storage on the unit, correct? Nothing will pull, for example, from a WHS server will it?

Really need to take this to the appropriate part of the forum but yes you can.  I use WHS via MoCA with a Dune Smart D1 as a client.

post #8566 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

The one way that 4K quality content downloading might work is from a satellite service, Sony could up load the content on demand and it would be downloaded to your home dish setup.
We would order the movie that we want on a website, Sony would send it off to their satellite then shoot it down to your dish DVR with very little compression.
The downloads would be very fast also.
post #8567 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post

24 was addictive also, couldn't miss an episode.
There were a lot of complaints when 24 was canceled. Now I see that they are bringing it back.

Way back when we were discussing 4K and Sony's puck server, I pointed out that there was no way that the video quality would be very good as Sony would have to compress the programs so much to limit downloading time.
It would take fiber to the prem and DS3 bandwidth to get quality video which wouldn't be practical.
If you have internet over Comcast or another cable outfit, forget it, they will pull the plug on you for using too much of their shared bandwidth.
att limits the amount of usage per month, and charges you extra after you exceed it.
Just wait until 4K becomes popular, the net will be so bogged down, you will be lucky if your emails get across in a day.
I just don't see how quality video will be downloaded unless you trade off fast downloading for video quality.
It is like the old saying, " You can have it GOOD FAST CHEAP, Pick 2" If it is good and cheap, not going to be fast, if it is good and fast, its not going to be cheap.

I don't know for a fact, but I am guessing that the puck is preloaded with programing that is not compressed, so that might be why people that had the upgrade remark that it look so good.
Also, I think that when Sony came up with this setup, they didn't really consider us, the projector owners wanting to use them on our big screen projectors. Sony's vision was
Joe Blow with his 65" flat panel screen watching the compressed downloaded movies, which would most likely look ok on that small screen.
Now with a 12' + screen, you can see all of the compression artifacts.
I just don't know, perhaps trading off picture quality for for 4k might not be so good until technology advances with a better way of downloading 4k content.
In a way, perhaps downloading lightly compressed 1080p and up converting to the projector may be better in the short term.
Like I said, I have no first hand knowledge of using the puck or Sony's service, so looking for comments from everyone that has.

Yes, there is really going to need to be a major overhaul of infrastructure hardware and public utility regularity laws before this kind of bandwidth can be supported in a meaningful, useful way.  Big can o'worms!

post #8568 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

I had 38 years + with the phone co., Pacific Bell, SBC then att. The last 14 years I was a network engineer working on the internet network, configuring the servers and network when setting everything up new customers and troubleshooting problems.
Old outdated facilitates, old cable, lack of cable pairs were just part of the problems out there. we just couldn't keep up with the demand back then for service.
Moving to fiber is a slow process, and with fiber, when one is cut by a construction crew digging with out knowing where our cables are was a problem as it took out a lot of customers.
post #8569 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post

I don't know for a fact, but I am guessing that the puck is preloaded with programing that is not compressed, so that might be why people that had the upgrade remark that it look so good.

There is no such thing as not compressed in this world of consumer video. Uncompressed Video for a typical 2 hr. movies is tarabytes in size. If, in fact, the movie downloads are in the range of 60 GB to 100 GB in size, this could yield very good in video quality with the right 4K codec, but its my understanding that the puck does not have the HEVC codec so it probably is using something less efficient, e.g., the older and less efficient h.264 codec. The preloaded movie content should be using the same codec as the download content and I suspect the total file size is not all much different for preloaded vs. download (perhaps someone here on AVS forum that the answer to that).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #8570 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry Ron,
Poor choice of words, I should have said not compressed as much.
I think that h.264 is what D* switched to from Mpeg2 a few years ago.
post #8571 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I have been watching VUDU HDX quality streaming for quite some time and am very pleased with the quality. I have never impressed with any streaming I have tried from Amazon or Netflix.

I would much rather watch an upconverted VUDU HDX on my 124" screen than anything in 4K on my Sony 65" 4K panel using the puck since most of the 4K movies seem to be 2:35 which are stretched on the 65" panel making the image so small it is not worth watching even in 4K.

So I can hardly wait to get my upgrade kit installed so I can watch a 4K movie on a 2:35 124" screen!

David Ferebee
post #8572 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Okay, the news that you have been waiting for. We have upgrade kits heading to us. Those reading this thread that have not received a kit yet, please shoot me an email or call and confirm that you still want the kit. 585-671-2968.

smile.gif

post #8573 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Also
There is NO lossless audio on the 4K Sony downloads from the Sony Entertainment network for the puck. The BD audio on a disk is much better

I had no idea it didn't have lossless audio! So it's dolby digital or something?
post #8574 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

NM

post #8575 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 589
NM?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #8576 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

No message. In other words, deleted.

post #8577 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 589
The Medium is the Message.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #8578 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regarding some comments and questions about Kaleidescape and 4K, I tested the Cinema One recently with the Sony 4K projector. The following review can help clarify those, including the per-movie-cost-of-ownership and system limitations of the Cinema One and the Premiere Line:

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2014/02/kaleidescape-cinema-one-review.php

Additionally, since this forum is interested in 4K content and players for the Sony 4K projector the following article about the Nuvola NP-1 4K player may also be of interest:

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2014/02/living-with-4k-nuvola-4k-player-np1.php

Best Regards,

Rodolfo La Maestra
post #8579 of 10781 Old 02-14-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. La Maestra View Post

Regarding some comments and questions about Kaleidescape and 4K, I tested the Cinema One recently with the Sony 4K projector. The following review can help clarify those, including the per-movie-cost-of-ownership and system limitations of the Cinema One and the Premiere Line:

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2014/02/kaleidescape-cinema-one-review.php

Additionally, since this forum is interested in 4K content and players for the Sony 4K projector the following article about the Nuvola NP-1 4K player may also be of interest:

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2014/02/living-with-4k-nuvola-4k-player-np1.php

For me, I'm giving up Netflix downloads and going back to the mail out/mail in BD's, in addition to buying the BD's that I think I may want to watch multiple times.
post #8580 of 10781 Old 02-15-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Thank you for the setup. Just kidding with you regarding your spot. smile.gif

The Masters! You mean the masters! My god you have it made. One day when kids are grown or damn near the wife and I will make that trip but my old pal Phil wouldn't be playing by then. There's just something about him that lures audiences. Maybe Rory will be in stride by then.

Edit
Wrong quote but mark caught it
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread