post #8821 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Hum, so where does that leave those of us that purchases the projector in 2013 and told AVS to sign me up for the MB upgrade kit at the same time only to be delayed at Sony's end and no fault of my own?

I was planning on selling the puck and tablet to offset the upgrade, but if I can get the free movies and Elysium as was the original deal, I'll keep it. Would like to know soon too as my kit should arrive today (missed delivery due to snow-storm) and upgrade scheduled for 3/12.

I hope AVS can get those of us that said yes to the upgrade in 2013 with CC on record in on any deal from Sony, perhaps a backdated receipt from time of getting on the list. I don't see that as wrong in any fashion since that's when I signed up for one and would have been charge had they been in stock. Mike?

When you think about it, it's not like it's going to cost Sony much if anything to provide the content. I won't be buying them, especially if I dump the puck and tablet on eBay. But it will help add to my customer satisfaction with Sony and the strong chance that I'll buy or rent since I'll be keeping the puck. I'd say that's a win-win.

I have the 10 free movies on my puck. Elysium is not one of the 10. Elysium was not released onto BD until mid December. The 10 free movie deal was put in place long before that movie was even available. I have not responded to any of this, because I am waiting to hear back from Sony. Once I hear back, I will post info.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have a crazy feeling as long as AVS (or where you placed your order) can provide documentation that you placed your order (at least with intent to buy if not payed for at that time) during the promo you are good. I would keep it. Some of the material that is free is definitely demo material.

smile.gif

Thanks! I have all of the demo material and more and have seen it via my HTPC. It looks fantastic. I'm looking for movies that look nearly as good. That's the Holy Grail and why I bought into 4K.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #8823 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 582
I now benight you as Sir Galahad. smile.gif Scary. Me. A dumb retired engineer/lawyer referencing English literature.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #8824 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I have the 10 free movies on my puck. Elysium is not one of the 10. Elysium was not released onto BD until mid December. The 10 free movie deal was put in place long before that movie was even available. I have not responded to any of this, because I am waiting to hear back from Sony. Once I hear back, I will post info.

Looking forward to it and hope it's positive news. As I said, it should be a win-win for their studio really, at least in my situation, as I'll rent/buy vs. dump the puck over the boards.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

post #8825 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you shoot the puck over the boards, you would indeed cause a stoppage in play.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8826 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117

I've got them all on my server now. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #8827 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Amazing. Simply amazing. Another clear indication that the app and down loading are idiot proof. smile.gif Way to go Sony.
OzHDHT likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8828 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Amazing. Simply amazing. Another clear indication that the app and down loading are idiot proof. smile.gif Way to go Sony.

Exactly! biggrin.gif

post #8829 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
okay..so how do we get em?
post #8830 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Well I've had a rather lets say interesting situation arise with Sony and their provision of the 1100 back in Nov as a replacement for my faulty 1000. They've now tried to invoice me for the 1100 and yesterday my original now repaired 1000 turned up. I told them did they not understand my very clear initial request to have the faulty 1000 replaced with an 1100 instead of fixing the 1000. Seems they obviously didn't. Told them no way in hell was I going to pay even the commercially invoiced cost of the 1100 and be stuck trying to liquidate a reconditioned 1000, which would no doubt I'm sure in effect lead me to having an inadvertent upgrade cost of well beyond the cost of the upgrade board itself (prob $5K at least).. For now things are at a stale mate. If I have to I'll ship the 1100 back and go through I'm sure what will be a massively painful upgrade process, particularly if I go as far as sending the 1000 back to say AVS to upgrade it..frown.gif

post #8831 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samalmoe View Post

okay..so how do we get em?
Ditto.

I thought you were going to supply a phone number Joerod? That way, we can call them and start the process, then fax them the receipt after we hear back from Mike G.

...Steve

post #8832 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

PM Mike. He will tell you who to call and I suspect can send you a revised bill of sale showing your order date..

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8833 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

I will in the AM. I was seeing if a direct number would be easier for them. Just remember it will do no good to call them unless you have the puck up and running... I will also have the number in my Upgrade Report.

post #8834 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And you need to fax in your kit bill of sale showing the order date in 2013.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8835 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

And you need to fax in your kit bill of sale showing the order date in 2013.

Yup. And on it you will have an event ID they will give you which they need to process the movies to your particular FMP-X1. Which is why it has to be going when you call.

post #8836 of 10751 Old 03-06-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

I have not responded to any of this, because I am waiting to hear back from Sony. Once I hear back, I will post info.
Quote:

PM Mike.

I'm pretty sure Mike will let us know something without having to PM or otherwise bug him...since this has been painful enough already I'm sure...

Of course my upgrade is scheduled less than 12 hours from now so I may end up bugging him anyway fairly soon...

Matt
post #8837 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 01:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It really hasn't been that painful except for those who participated in making this happen having to keep our mouths shut for a while.

As you might remember, quite some time earlier I posted that Sony would be taking care of those who did not receive kits in time to participate in the then expiring server free ten movie deal. I was told not to state anything further and I really couldn't anyway because the details were not fully known or cast in concrete.

From a historical perspective AV Science management with the participation of Mike G.as well contacted Sony and requested that something be provided the many many customers who had ordered kits from AV Science. They were told something good would be worked out but to keep their mouths shut until the Sony brass signed off.

This happened just recently and the details were disseminated to appropriate Sony staff including Chad who mans the dealer ES integrator hot line at Sony in San Diego. On Monday, I believe, it might have been Tuesday, Sony started notifying dealers and at least one consumer (who called the ES hotline (Chad and Tony) of the deal. Other dealers may have also requested that Sony do something as well. A deal was not worked out this week. It was in the works for about 3 months but just announced. These things just don't happen and don't happen quickly. The decision was made at high management levels at Sony and involved the studio side I suspect. Chad did not work a deal or tell anyone he was making a deal. he was a messenger. why do I say this? Sony higher ups monitor comments here and no Sony employee is allowed to post here with very specific permission and under tight limitations.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8838 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Greetings,

I've searched this thread for an answer to this quick question, but I did not see a definitive response. Here's the simple query:

Assume that I'm playing 3D Blu-ray to the VW1000ES from a PlayStation 3. If I go to the PS3's settings menu and allow it to send 24p (setting "automatic"), do I get a different refresh rate at the 3D glasses than I do if I disable 24p output (which would normally convert 24p 2D material to 60p)?

I ask because I am showing Gravity this weekend, and in a quick test to make sure everything was all dialed in, turning off 24p output from the PS3 seemed to yield a bit less flicker, but I wanted to be sure that this wasn't just my imagination.

Thanks!

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #8839 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 03:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

And Mark that is why a couple months back I posted I had a crazy feeling they were going to take care of those that purchased (or maybe signed up) kits during the promo. I'd like to thank Chad for his help and professionalism. Great guy. And also thank the "Puck people" for giving us (Jaclyn really wanted to see it-Bradley Cooper) an early release of American Hustle for my efforts. No, that is not included in the free titles. cool.gif

post #8840 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It really hasn't been that painful except for those who participated in making this happen having to keep our mouths shut for a while.

As you might remember, quite some time earlier I posted that Sony would be taking care of those who did not receive kits in time to participate in then then expiring server free ten movie deal. I was told not to state anything further and I really couldn't any because the details were not cast in concrete.

from a historical perspective AV Science management with the participation of mike G. as well contacted Sony and requested that something be provided the many many customers who had ordered kits from AV Science. they were told something good would be worked out but to keep their mouths shut until the Sony brass signed off.

This happened just recently and the details were disseminated to appropriate Sony staff including Chad who mans the dealer ES integrator hot line at Sony in San Diego. On Monday, I believe, it might have been Tuesday, Sony started notifying dealers and at least one consumer (who called the hotline) of the deal. Other dealers may have also requested that Sony do something. A deal was not worked out this week. It was in the works for about 3 months but just announced. These things just don't happen and don't happen quickly.

Thanks Mark for posting the info above. I was out changing a flat tire for my wife this morning. I have had to change two flats this year, both of them in the snow. frown.gif . One for the wife and another for my father. For all of those that ordered, the upgrade before end of the year, they will get the free movie deal. I just was not going to post on this, until Sony told us it was okay to say something, because we had been asked to hold off reporting this, until it has been fully worked out and approved. Been waiting to report this for nearly three months. smile.gif

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #8841 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As you might remember, quite some time earlier I posted that Sony would be taking care of those who did not receive kits in time to participate in then then expiring server free ten movie deal.

Yes, I remember that, but that was quite a while ago and there was still nothing set after kits were being installed after the initial delay, and also I want to see how this actually plays out before I admit to being taken care of. Seems like still some fine print to fight through.

But yeah I may have jumped the gun on giving up on Sony on this but you have to admit the way it was handled was not optimal.

Also, I'm pretty sure some of your posts in the interim were commenting about how the movies aren't worth that much, etc. Just toying with us I think wink.gif

Matt
post #8842 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For all of those that ordered, the upgrade before end of the year, they will get the free movie deal. I just was not going to post on this, until Sony told us it was okay to say something, because we had been asked to hold off reporting this, until it has been fully worked out and approved. Been waiting to report this for nearly three months. smile.gif

Ok, so in that case, do I need to contact you directly for specifics, because nothing I have shows I ordered in 2013?

Matt
post #8843 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

Greetings,

I've searched this thread for an answer to this quick question, but I did not see a definitive response. Here's the simple query:

Assume that I'm playing 3D Blu-ray to the VW1000ES from a PlayStation 3. If I go to the PS3's settings menu and allow it to send 24p (setting "automatic"), do I get a different refresh rate at the 3D glasses than I do if I disable 24p output (which would normally convert 24p 2D material to 60p)?

I ask because I am showing Gravity this weekend, and in a quick test to make sure everything was all dialed in, turning off 24p output from the PS3 seemed to yield a bit less flicker, but I wanted to be sure that this wasn't just my imagination.

Thanks!

I cannot say for the VW1000 specifically, but most 3D projectors using active 3D glass when fed a 24 Hz signal will display the 3D at 48 Hz per eye or 96 Hz total on the screen. However when fed a native 60 Hz 3D signal the rate goes to 60 Hz per eye and 120 Hz total. However, if the projector is able to detect that your 60 Hz input is really from a 24 Hz native source and then apply inverse 3:2 pull-down the 3D video might still be displayed as a 24 Hz source. Again, I have no knowledge of what your specific projector model is doing.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #8844 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Turls. As I said, I really could care less about the movies Sony is giving us for free. I have no time or desire to watch most of them. I would never buy most of them. the bridge over the river Kwai might be the exception. But I really do not want to watch it again having seen it already several times. ..

And the deal was only recently approved. Not surprisingly since I suspect studio approval was required.

Turls. Things at Sony are only going to get worse, A lot worse.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8845 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Mark for posting the info above. I was out changing a flat tire for my wife this morning. I have had to change two flats this year, both of them in the snow. frown.gif . One for the wife and another for my father. For all of those that ordered, the upgrade before end of the year, they will get the free movie deal. I just was not going to post on this, until Sony told us it was okay to say something, because we had been asked to hold off reporting this, until it has been fully worked out and approved. Been waiting to report this for nearly three months. smile.gif

Awesome! Thanks to you and anyone else involved in pushing for this and the necessary silence. I'll continue to wait patiently for final details, but based on this post and information so far, I'll keep the puck and set it up after the upgrade next week. The free movies make a different IMHO, if nothing else, as demo material. The puck may likely be the only 4K game in town for the rest of the year, so might as well have it as an option.

Thanks again!

...Steve

post #8846 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Mike,
Has the Version 2 of the server been released yet?
If so, I would be willing to pay extra to get the new version in the kit.,
I know it is a little late to bring this up as I am sure that the kits are on the boat (row maybe?).smile.gif
Guess I could just throw the puck on ebay, and buy the later version.
Why you ask would I want the new version? Would look nicer in the AV rack could put rack ears on it to mount on the rack or a rack shelf.
Just a thought....
Just happy for what Sony and AVS did for us, No complaints.
Thanks Sony!

And Thanks Mike,
I know that this project is a lot of work for you dealing with Sony delays on getting the kits out, and fielding all of the emails asking for status!rolleyes.gif(Guilty as charged!).wink.gif
post #8847 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

My 4th grade report...

http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homestead.com/Sony-FMP-X1-4K-Server-VPL-VW1000ES-Update-Review.html?_=1394215466138
turls likes this.

post #8848 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice! Thanks for the number in there too.

...Steve

post #8849 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Anytime. No worries. smile.gif

post #8850 of 10751 Old 03-07-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post

Mike,
Has the Version 2 of the server been released yet?
If so, I would be willing to pay extra to get the new version in the kit.,
I know it is a little late to bring this up as I am sure that the kits are on the boat (row maybe?).smile.gif
Guess I could just throw the puck on ebay, and buy the later version.
Why you ask would I want the new version? Would look nicer in the AV rack could put rack ears on it to mount on the rack or a rack shelf.
Just a thought....
Just happy for what Sony and AVS did for us, No complaints.
Thanks Sony!

And Thanks Mike,
I know that this project is a lot of work for you dealing with Sony delays on getting the kits out, and fielding all of the emails asking for status!rolleyes.gif(Guilty as charged!).wink.gif

I doubt that version 2 is even a working model at CEDIA this year. smile.gif

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page