post #9181 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by samalmoe View Post

so right now it looks like the only way we get the freebie movies is if mikes list connects to the guys answering the phones. guess we'll wait to hear from mike.

That's my guess and I'll post when they get back to me. They have my faxed receipt and event id. I'd prefer the vouchers and really hope that's what they provide now, especially after all of the hoops. Most movies appear to be $29 to $35 each, so that works out to 9 or 10 titles, but at least I can pick and choose the ones I want and hopefully be able to wait for new ones that I don't already own on BD.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Correct, at least in my case. Mine shows something like 1.7 GB used our of 2 including Elysium, which was the first thing it downloaded automatically after updating the original software. That took several hours and I have high-speed FIOS. The rest of the pre-loaded content did not show up in the app for day and I have no idea why. The titles just weren't there even though the System space information indicated usage. I don't know what the original 10 free movies are, but there's no Lawrence of Arabia on mine. There are over 35 movies though. I haven't clicked on any yet, but I'm hoping that when I do, I won't be charged without an option to buy and also given an option to delete the title off the puck to make room and clear it from my list.

Yeah Elysium + 1 would push you up to 1.7TB used. Wish I had high speed here. I've got a max DL of 10mbits when downloading from Sony. I'm only just getting to the end of downloading American Hustle today after like 3 days of on and off downloading(occasional errors along the way). The original l10 free are The Amazing Spider-Man, Salt, The Karate Kid, The Other Guys, Battle: Los Angeles, That’s My Boy, Bad Teacher, Total Recall 2012, Taxi Driver, and The Bridge on the River Kwai. You mean you can't see Lawrence to buy in the store or it isn't preloaded? It came out in December and wasn't a launch title.

post #9183 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

OK. I thought LoA was one of the 10. The other's listed are pre-loaded along with a bunch of other titles. I'll click on one later to figure out how to delete them.

I still need to figure out how I'm going to get sound out of the puck with only HMDI out. As it is, I have to switch HDMI cables on the Sony since HDMI one is used for my Lumagen and HDMI two was for the 4K@24/30 HTPC. I really need an HDMI 4K in/out switch solution.

Emotiva teased me with their XMC-1 that was supposed to come with HDMI 2.0 in/out, but they backed off of that after only two weeks and it's still not released. Between this back-peddling and long delays, I'm going in a different direction now. That tease and retraction left a very bad impression with me, especially considering their explanations. It was a bunch of obfuscation, just short of lies. I'll either pick up one of the new Pioneer AVRs if they can act like a pre-amp or get some HDMI-to-PCM converter, but before that, i need to look at using my Lumagen. Not sure if it can do what I'm looking for, but it does have the I/O connectors so hopefully it can help fill another use in my theater. If it can take the audio HDMI two out from the puck and send that over coax or toslink, that's exactly what I need at least to use the puck now and get sound out of it. Otherwise, I'll look at a temporary converter for now. I wish Lumagen would come out with their HDMI 2.0 4K-in solution as that's what I really need. I'll probably end up waiting with some type of work-around to hold me over and skip the Pioneer too. 4K growth pains.... wink.gif

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

post #9184 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone compared 4k downloads off the puck vs a blu ray of the same movie? I thought elysium looked the same both ways. Was going to try American Hustle, but I don't have the blu ray yet and wondering if its worth it....

post #9185 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Yes, there are a few posts on that in this thread ( I believe it's this thread). I remember the poster mentioning there was little difference with most material and only a few titles looking noticeably better. This is most likely due to source quality (do all of the titles even have 4K details? probably not) and encoding quality. Though there seems to be a lot more content on Sony's 4K service now so I'm betting there is a lot more content on there now that looks better then their blu-ray counterpart.

I believe this will be one of the hardest sells 4K BD will have. There is a lot of older content that simply won't have 4K detail and will not benefit from a higher resolution transfer. Newer stuff will look excellent though.
post #9186 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I had to try it just to see the reaction of family members... I made sure the seals were closed and then ran it under the sink, completely soaking it. Shook off the water, wiped it down and it was ready to go.

I think it's a nice tablet, very thin and light weight. At least it's a decent model and a not a throw-away like many of the cheap models out there.

I will participate in this water proof dribble (pun intended). You say seals (pl). To my knowledge there is only one seal that you can open. The one covering the input for the charger. Are there more?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #9187 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A bunch of thoughts in response to various posts.

First you can store content purchased and the free stuff (shorts etc) using an external storage device hooked up by USB, so what's the problem? Storage devices are cheap.

Second, the simplest way to get the free stuff is to request that your dealer give you a sales receipt showing the date of order for the kit. Then fax it in with the event ID written on it.

Third if you want to buy something, you must put money in your Sony wallet. When you register at App set up, you create your wallet, but it will be empty. So you can't be charged unless you put money in the wallet. for that you do it by CC.

Now how does the $300 deal get implemented. I don't know but I would expect that after the fulfillment offices give you the deal, they will put $300 in your Sony wallet. But it is possible I suppose that it could be by redeemable coupons.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9188 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 248
There is a cover for the micro SD slot as well. I really soaked it under running water, the water proof sony is no baloney.

mike is stopping over around 10am, I better register for an SEN account tonight and get the puck plugged into the network. Only 12 short hours until i am re-united with TMB shot on the Red Epic MX. Because how can something look so good, that is just so bad...
post #9189 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

so right now it looks like the only way we get the freebie movies is if mikes list connects to the guys answering the phones. guess we'll wait to hear from mike.

Found out that the list we sent did not get in the correct hands. I am being told that the list is being sent to the appropriate people.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #9190 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suspect that would be the deal fulfillment office, the people at the fax number. Their challenge will be matching the Event Number you obtain from Chad or Tony which you must give them by fax to your name on the list. A dealer submitted list will not have Event ID numbers on it. You get that, not your dealer. It must be communicated to the fax number.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9191 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I will participate in this water proof dribble (pun intended). You say seals (pl). To my knowledge there is only one seal that you can open. The one covering the input for the charger. Are there more?

There are two seals. look at the same edge, but on opposite side.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #9192 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Found out that the list we sent did not get in the correct hands. I am being told that the list is being sent to the appropriate people.

It would certainly be helpful, MIke, if you could tell us precisely who (tel phone #) we should contact who knows about this list you've sent. Otherwise, it sounds like we need some kind of statement of AVS as to when we put in our order for the upgrade package.
post #9193 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

I was just told late this afternoon, that the list was not to the correct person, but would be sent to them. Once I can confirm the list is in place, I will post and let people know. I gave you the phone number, when we talked on the phone. Sony asked me not to post the number, but I have seen it posted in this thread. Anybody that needs the number, contact me, but give Sony a couple days to get everything in place.

post #9194 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

I was just told late this afternoon, that the list was not to the correct person, but would be sent to them. Once I can confirm the list is in place, I will post and let people know. I gave you the phone number, when we talked on the phone. Sony asked me not to post the number, but I have seen it posted in this thread. Anybody that needs the number, contact me, but give Sony a couple days to get everything in place.

Will do; thanks, Mike. No panic, but would just like to get it settled before everyone at Sony disappears.
post #9195 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Yes, this is genuinely nice and the right thing for Sony to do, but given what is going on there, it's metaphorically like a tuxedoed quartet fiddling on the deck of a beautiful ship...
post #9196 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There are two seals. look at the same edge, but on opposite side.

I don't get my tablet until later this morning. What does the second seal cover? further, I do not qualify for the free movie deal.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9197 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Yes, this is genuinely nice and the right thing for Sony to do, but given what is going on there, it's metaphorically like a tuxedoed quartet fiddling on the deck of a beautiful ship...

You might say that ship has already been hit by an ice berg and the pump room has been flooded.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9198 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The numbers are all publically available by Googling. chad and tony are not leaving and neither are the people in the fulfillment office. so its probably OK to wait a few days.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9199 of 10190 Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
yesterday my tablet, under MY 4K only listed elysium which i had downloaded. tonight it lists all those movies we were going to choose from, with prices. same with everyone?
post #9200 of 10190 Old 03-18-2014, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yesterday my tablet, under MY 4K only listed elysium which i had downloaded. tonight it lists all those movies we were going to choose from, with prices. same with everyone?

Yes. I stated that in an earlier post today. The puck comes preloaded, but apparently takes some time to list all the content and that comes after the required software update and then the download of Elysium.

What I can't figure out is how to delete them off the puck and list. I tried using the Trash can delete button at top right, but that didn't remove the title. Anyone?

...Steve

post #9201 of 10190 Old 03-18-2014, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A bunch of thoughts in response to various posts.

First you can store content purchased and the free stuff (shorts etc0 using an external storage device hooked up by USB, so what's the problem. storage devices are cheap.

Second, the simplest way to get the free stuff is to request that your dealer give you a sales receipt showing the date of order for the kit. then fax it in with the event ID written on it.

Third if you want to buy something, you must put money in your Sony wallet. When you register at App set up, you create your wallet, but it will be empty. So you can't be charged unless you put money in the wallet. for that you do it by CC.

Now how does the $300 deal get implemented. I don't know but I would get that after the fulfillment offices give you the deal, they will put $300 in your Sony wallet. But it is possible I suppose that it could be by redeemable coupons.

1) Sure there's always external storage, but still need to know how to cleanup and manage stuff on the internal drive.

2) That suggestion is shady and Mike already said he would not do so before I even asked, which I had no intention of doing. I would think that a receipt showing when it was ordered in 2013 along with when it was paid for would suffice. However, it sounds like Mike had already worked this out with Sony in December, but wires at Sony got crossed. I'm sure it will get straightened out this week. I'm just hoping that it's for the vouchers as these are much more preferable to me. I'd rather pick what I want from what's available.

3) It's tied to your SEN account, so you can control it there. There is a place to enter coupons, so my guess is that's were the voucher info will go. I'm hoping it's like depositing funds in an account to use on SEN for these movie purchases.

...Steve

post #9202 of 10190 Old 03-18-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Number 2. So what is shady about having your dealer giving you a sales receipt showing the day you ordered it and the date it was shipped or the sale completed. I didn't say your dealer should fake it or even imply that. In normal sales, one orders something and a ticket etc is written or is stored in a computer and then it is completed when the goods are picked up or shipped. Now if your store just takes your name down and doesn't generate a ticket with the date it did so and only writes a ticket quite later on, the dealer might have to create a ticket showing the date of order or a guesstimated date of order if the exact date is unknown because of the dealer's procedures regarding your transaction. But you and your dealer know when you ordered it, in 2013, and giving Sony a receipt from your dealer regardless of when created showing that date or something close to it in 2013 is not shady.

Number 1. So what? Digital storage of a UHD takes space even compressed. The Soy has 2 TB storage. the Sony provides for external storage devices. One needs to know which ones work, what you gotta do to get them ready, and how to manage them. That's what this forum is for. Some have already figured it out and have shared. There are other forums discussing the server and how to store externally. Sure Sony could have put 30TB of storage into the server but that would have priced it off the market.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9203 of 10190 Old 03-18-2014, 07:02 AM

Liked: 11
I'll likely just rent movies on the puck, at least until there is clear direction where the content will come from. There are few movies that I'll watch three or four times. You can get three or more rentals for the price of one, and call me old fashion, but I'd rather rent a download today and buy the 4k bluray next year, if I loved the movie.

Ben
post #9204 of 10190 Old 03-18-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post

I'll likely just rent movies on the puck, at least until there is clear direction where the content will come from. There are few movies that I'll watch three or four times. You can get three or more rentals for the price of one, and call me old fashion, but I'd rather rent a download today and buy the 4k bluray next year, if I loved the movie.

Just remember to allow several hours after you rent the movie to begin watching it. It needs to download it before you can watch it.
post #9205 of 10190 Old 03-18-2014, 08:39 AM

I realize that. Hopefully, the rental period starts when you start watching. If so, I'll just download the day or night before I plan on watching the movie. I get a consistent 28-30 Mbps over my wired network. I plan on having a wired connection for the puck, which should bump it up a bit more. This should get a movie downloaded relatively fast.

For those with the puck, how does the rental process work?

Also, can you delete a purchased and downloaded movie, and then re-download it without extra expense at a later time?

Ben
post #9206 of 10190 Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

out with the old, in with the new...

VW1100-upgrade.jpg

VW1100-upgrade1.jpg

VW1100-upgrade2.jpg

hello Sony VW1100. Mike was a great tech, very friendly and naturally asked why I have 5 projectors hooked up at the same time.. biggrin.gif

TMB party tonight
post #9207 of 10190 Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The UPS man just delivered my server and puck and spare bulb. I pick up my projector from the sony tech tomorrow afternoon. I'll rehang it instantly. just screw the plate back on and lower half of the quick disconnect on and rehang.
GI will play with the puck next Monday and Tuesday. gotta run a LAN connection to the projector (actually two lans). One for the projector which has nothing at all to do with 4k content and one to the server which will sit on the ceiling side of the upside down projector. hook up to HDMI 2 by a short HDMI (6 footer). Use my one of my two existing long HDMI to run the audio back to the processor and the other HDMI cable through the lumagen extender to carry video from the Lumagen outputting video at 1080p 60 (won't output 4K 60) and 4k 24 fps. All so I can watch That's MY Boy in 4k. Believe it or not, I never purchased the bluray of it so I am good.

BTW I feel ZERO excitement re any of this except for getting my projector back so I can watch the NCAA tourney.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9208 of 10190 Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The connectors BTW have end locking caps and the three flat cable connectors (upper right) are very very delicate and easy to break or damage. There is no reason for anyone to play with the board after it is installed.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9209 of 10190 Old 03-18-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:

The UPS man just delivered my server and puck and spare bulb. I pick up my projector from the sony tech tomorrow afternoon. I'll rehang it instantly. just screw the plate back on and lower half of the quick disconnect on and rehang.
GI will play with the puck next Monday and Tuesday. gotta run a LAN connection to the projector (actually two lans). One for the projector which has nothing at all to do with 4k content and one to the server which will sit on the ceiling side of the upside down projector. hook up to HDMI 2 by a short HDMI (6 footer). Use my one of my two existing long HDMI to run the audio back to the processor and the other HDMI cable through the lumagen extender to carry video from the Lumagen outputting video at 1080p 60 (won't output 4K 60) and 4k 24 fps. All so I can watch That's MY Boy in 4k. Believe it or not, I never purchased the bluray of it so I am good.

BTW I feel ZERO excitement re any of this except for getting my projector back so I can watch the NCAA tourney.

Cool idea on the puck placement. Let us know how you actually actually attach the puck to the ceiling. Or, are you actually just sitting the puck right side up on the bottom of the projector?

Ben
post #9210 of 10190 Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

YESS!!! can you hear me shouting from PA? I am 100% certain there is a difference in reality creation, I studied a number of scenes that bothered me in Oblivion minutes before the motherboard swap. It now looks noticeably less aggressive and thrilled with the results set at minimum.

This is the only area I thought the 600 looked better than the 1000 and now they are equal with the RC processing on 1080P content. This was bugging the heck out of me, looking for alternatives (HTPC, Lumagen 2041), now I have no problem with the built in scaling, RC v2.0 looks excellent.

so for my preferences, this was worth the upgrade alone.. so I have an 80 hour old VW1100 that was a heck of alot more affordable than the new model. it's bittersweet though after talking to the tech, very sad to hear about all these layoffs.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page