Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 310 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9271 of 10446 Old 03-21-2014, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I am an idiot. Entering the router password instead of the administrator password for the network caused an instantaneous connect. I am an idiot.

There were at least two groups of idiots involved, but you were not among them. First were the people responsible for the error message you received when entering the incorrect password. The two jobs of an error message are 1) to tell you what is wrong and 2) to tell you what to do about it. In this case, they actually did tell you what was wrong (rather than announcing "error -8352" or other gibberish). What they failed entirely to do was to tell you what to do about it. At the top of that list for wi-fi connection failures should be, "ensure you are using the top-level router password, rather than the administrator password," since this is a well-known and common error.

The second group of idiots were the ones who were failing to help you find the problem. Since the people you talked to on the phone are probably just reciting stuff from a book, that particular failure probably originated "upstream": The people writing the script didn't know enough about the errors users face in the real world to know what a common mistake the one you made is.

At Apple, at least in the early days, we always hired enthusiasts to do tech support. They knew the product inside and out and had spent a lot of time in the real world with real people. We also ensured that when one tech support person tracked down an error like this, it got fed back to everyone, including the engineering teams, so they could eliminate the confusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 10446 Old 03-21-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Upgrade went smooth I suppose. He sat at a fold out table and chair in the theater for a couple of hours while I watched basketball in the media room. Now need to remount it when can get someone here to help me.

Thinking about changing the lamp, how hard/easy is it?

My tech was based out of St Louis and said had done over a dozen upgrades. His trip to Memphis and here was his farthest installs.

Hifi, he said tech from Atlanta was going to be doing yours.
post #9273 of 10446 Old 03-21-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Thinking about changing the lamp, how hard/easy is it?

Its so easy I think my wife could do it.

The tech said he had been with Sony for 25 years and was being laid off. Very nice guy.
post #9274 of 10446 Old 03-21-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 440
The lamp changes from the case top. you press on the cover a few inches in from the center top and the cover slides off. there is an inner cover, one screw (Phillips) and the cover comes off from its side hinge. three permanently attached to the bulb gage hold the cage in. loosen the three Phillips screws all the way and pull the gage out. insert new gage with the permanently attached screws that are built into it. reattach the internal cover and screw it in. Replace the outer cover and reset the bulb meter. If you can't do this, you do need aphillips screw driver, sell your projector and buy a panel. smile.gif

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #9275 of 10446 Old 03-21-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

It looks basically the same as the 600 now which is a good thing. So you have an 1100 now, I must have missed your post. are you considering the 4K media server + VPN setup?

Not really, but I never say never biggrin.gif ( and strange enought smile.gif , I just bought a new router, which - I think - can do "VPN stuff" ( dont know much about it redface.gif ) - a Asus RT-AC68U )

Regarding 1000/ 1100 RC - see post 8432

dj
post #9276 of 10446 Old 03-21-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toghome View Post

There were at least two groups of idiots involved, but you were not among them. First were the people responsible for the error message you received when entering the incorrect password. The two jobs of an error message are 1) to tell you what is wrong and 2) to tell you what to do about it. In this case, they actually did tell you what was wrong (rather than announcing "error -8352" or other gibberish). What they failed entirely to do was to tell you what to do about it. At the top of that list for wi-fi connection failures should be, "ensure you are using the top-level router password, rather than the administrator password," since this is a well-known and common error.

The second group of idiots were the ones who were failing to help you find the problem. Since the people you talked to on the phone are probably just reciting stuff from a book, that particular failure probably originated "upstream": The people writing the script didn't know enough about the errors users face in the real world to know what a common mistake the one you made is.

At Apple, at least in the early days, we always hired enthusiasts to do tech support. They knew the product inside and out and had spent a lot of time in the real world with real people. We also ensured that when one tech support person tracked down an error like this, it got fed back to everyone, including the engineering teams, so they could eliminate the confusion.

I actually called the Xperia tech help located in the Carrebian and suggested that when the tablet refuses to connect after finding the network rather than telling the person that the tablet was defective they pursue asking the user to ensure the correct password was entered on the tablet. The Verizon tech help folks knew exactly what the problem was.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9277 of 10446 Old 03-21-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

This morning I ordered a Ethernet over power line kit to avoid ripping my HT apart to run cat 5 to the projector where I must locate my server to avoid massive ripping apart to run new hdmi lines. I hopethis will work OK with respect to down loads to the server. Rated at 500 mbps.

Mark,

Not sure how you intend to place your FPM-1 next to your projector. Even with using ethernet-over-power, you still need an HDMI run to your AVR for sound. Place the FPM-1 in your equipment closet. If you have two HDMI runs, then use one for the Lumagen and the other for the Sony. If not, locate the FPM-1 near your router and use the HDMI that you're currently using to send output from the Lumagen to Sony. Of course, this is assuming that your router is in that closet area with your equipment or an ethernet can be run easily from there to your router to connect the FPM-1. Seems to me like it would be in order for you to get FIOS in there. If you have only one HDMI run, you can manually switch the HDMI between the FPM-1 and the Lumagen if you ever want to watch the FPM-1. Knowing your viewing habits, I suspect that after looking at some 4K clips for a little bit, you'll go back to watching your sports since you don't watch movies much and what's currently on the puck isn't much better than upscaled BD at this point. By the time 4KBD is out, you'll either have a Lumagen 4K in/out model for switching or have sold your house and moved. In other words, you're not going to have to manually switch the HDMI in the closet much in your case and a more permanent solution isn't that far away.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My
and

post #9278 of 10446 Old 03-21-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I got a call back from Robert today concerning my Event ID and the vouchers. He verified that I had a SEN account and I provided him the account so that he could get the wallet updated with the funds. He said that he'd call back early next week when it's done on their end. That's progress and good news! Almost there! smile.gif

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My
and

post #9279 of 10446 Old 03-21-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

I got a call back from Robert today concerning my Event ID and the vouchers. He verified that I had a SEN account and I provided him the account so that he could get the wallet updated with the funds. He said that he'd call back early next week when it's done on their end. That's progress and good news! Almost there! smile.gif

That's what he told me last Monday 3/17 (also verified SEN, etc) and said he would call back in 48 hours. That was 96 hours ago.... But no hurry sounds like they are working on it. Must be really complicated, or waiting for the next board meeting to get approval.

Bob Meixner
post #9280 of 10446 Old 03-21-2014, 06:42 PM

My tablet and server work fine except I can't get audio from the HDMI audio out from the server. I guess I am supposed to buy another piece of equipment to resolve my audio issues. It is just that I can't see that Elysium looks any better than my 2K Blu-ray. I'm sure I would be in a bigger hurry to resolve the audio issue if the picture actually seemed better.

Pretty sure everything is connected correctly since others have the same issue with my processor.
post #9281 of 10446 Old 03-21-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Mark,

Not sure how you intend to place your FPM-1 next to your projector. Even with using ethernet-over-power, you still need an HDMI run to your AVR for sound. Place the FPM-1 in your equipment closet. If you have two HDMI runs, then use one for the Lumagen and the other for the Sony. If not, locate the FPM-1 near your router and use the HDMI that you're currently using to send output from the Lumagen to Sony. Of course, this is assuming that your router is in that closet area with your equipment or an ethernet can be run easily from there to your router to connect the FPM-1. Seems to me like it would be in order for you to get FIOS in there. If you have only one HDMI run, you can manually switch the HDMI between the FPM-1 and the Lumagen if you ever want to watch the FPM-1. Knowing your viewing habits, I suspect that after looking at some 4K clips for a little bit, you'll go back to watching your sports since you don't watch movies much and what's currently on the puck isn't much better than upscaled BD at this point. By the time 4KBD is out, you'll either have a Lumagen 4K in/out model for switching or have sold your house and moved. In other words, you're not going to have to manually switch the HDMI in the closet much in your case and a more permanent solution isn't that far away.

thanks for the suggestions. As you know my ceiling is hung but there are sheetrock with compressed fiberglass left over from my wall treatments weighting the grid tiles and then there is much fiberglass bat insulation taking up the void spaces above the weighted tiles. A real job to unpack and repack. I have two HDMIs running from the equipment closet but they are old and won't carry 4K without an extender and they won't pass HDCP 2.2. So one HDMI will be used from mu Lumagen through the cable, them the extender, and short HDMI into input one on the Sony. that is the present set up and works fine for everything out of the lumagen at 1080p except forblurays which the lumagen scales to UHD 24 or 30. works fine. The second HDMI will carry the audio from the puck located at the projector to the AVR. using HDMI out 2 on the puck. The Ethernet via power will use a short lan cable from the Ethernet receiver to the puck. HDMI one of the puck will go by short HDMI to input 2 on the projector. basically all I needed to add was the Ethernet over power boxes for a whopping $40, an HDMI cable which came with the puck and two short lans with RJ45 males on all ends. have those lying around. anything wrong with this/ It seems the simplest way to go and lets me accomplish everything I need to do until the lumagen 4K out arrives someday. BTW. the router is on the floor above my HT and there are no existing lans into the HT or its equipment closet. Just a coax in for the set top box.i

Mark Haflich

post #9282 of 10446 Old 03-21-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, so you have two HDMI cables, but they're old. That explains how you'll get audio back to your receiver. Yes, ethernet-over-power works and is cheap, but it's slower. Still, for the amount of movies that you watch, you should be OK. There is a lot of stuff already downloaded on the puck (but it took a few days for it to show up on the tablet in my case). The only things you'll need to download is the initial FPM-1 upgrade which should be small and then Elysium, after that you're good unless you want to buy or rent something using the voucher money later. Considering your viewing habits, you should be fine.

Personally, I'd look to use one of the old HDMI cables to pull through a new hi-quality one that you know supports 4K over long runs (and a cat5 cable and pull-cord for future needs). Not sure how easy that is, but I've done that in my old house pulling through HDMI taped onto an old composite video cable. It was a bitch because it ran through holes I had punched out in the rafters, but it worked. Sounds like you'd only have to deal with insulation. I guess wireless HDMI won't work either as that's not 4K@60 / HDCP 2.2 ready either. Someday....

...Steve

My
and

post #9283 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 02:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post

My tablet and server work fine except I can't get audio from the HDMI audio out from the server. I guess I am supposed to buy another piece of equipment to resolve my audio issues. It is just that I can't see that Elysium looks any better than my 2K Blu-ray. I'm sure I would be in a bigger hurry to resolve the audio issue if the picture actually seemed better.

Pretty sure everything is connected correctly since others have the same issue with my processor.

Not to be Captain Obvious but you did enable hdmi 2 audio out in te settings?

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #9284 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Not to be Captain Obvious but you did enable hdmi 2 audio out in te settings?

I'm pretty sure he has an MX151. Which will require the hdmi to spdif converter.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #9285 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 06:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

thanks for the suggestions. As you know my ceiling is hung but there are sheetrock with compressed fiberglass left over from my wall treatments weighting the grid tiles and then there is much fiberglass bat insulation taking up the void spaces above the weighted tiles. A real job to unpack and repack. I have two HDMIs running from the equipment closet but they are old and won't carry 4K without an extender and they won't pass HDCP 2.2. So one HDMI will be used from mu Lumagen through the cable, them the extender, and short HDMI into input one on the Sony. that is the present set up and works fine for everything out of the lumagen at 1080p except forblurays which the lumagen scales to UHD 24 or 30. works fine. The second HDMI will carry the audio from the puck located at the projector to the AVR. using HDMI out 2 on the puck. The Ethernet via power will use a short lan cable from the Ethernet receiver to the puck. HDMI one of the puck will go by short HDMI to input 2 on the projector. basically all I needed to add was the Ethernet over power boxes for a whopping $40, an HDMI cable which came with the puck and two short lans with RJ45 males on all ends. have those lying around. anything wrong with this/ It seems the simplest way to go and lets me accomplish everything I need to do until the lumagen 4K out arrives someday. BTW. the router is on the floor above my HT and there are no existing lans into the HT or its equipment closet. Just a coax in for the set top box.i

Mark, make sure the two HDMI over power modules are connected to outlets/circuits having the same phase leg. Our homes typically have half of the circuits on one phase and half on another, since we get 120v circuits from the two different phases of a 240v line. These circuits of different phases are not coupled to each other in way that allows data to be transmuted from a circuit of one phase to one of another phase. The point is that you have a 50% chance of getting it right/wrong on the first try and may need to experiment with a second outlet that is on a different circuit if it doesn't work right off the bat. I have an x10 system I use for Christmas lights and needed two transmitter modules - one for each phase - to cover lights that are plugged into circuits on both phases.

Ben
post #9286 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Ben. Never would have thought of that. Of course with a fixed router location more or less, if I am on the wrong side of the hypothetical 50/50, I may just have to run a lan to my projector where the server will be. My true reality odds are about 1 out of 10 given Dr. Murphy's law according to the classical analysis done by Dr. Maxwel who concluded that Dr. Murphy was an incurable optimist.

Mark Haflich

post #9287 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post

Mark, make sure the two HDMI over power modules are connected to outlets/circuits having the same phase leg. Our homes typically have half of the circuits on one phase and half on another, since we get 120v circuits from the two different phases of a 240v line. These circuits of different phases are not coupled to each other in way that allows data to be transmuted from a circuit of one phase to one of another phase. The point is that you have a 50% chance of getting it right/wrong on the first try and may need to experiment with a second outlet that is on a different circuit if it doesn't work right off the bat. I have an x10 system I use for Christmas lights and needed two transmitter modules - one for each phase - to cover lights that are plugged into circuits on both phases.

Mark, Ben makes an excellent point regarding Powerline/Ethernet connections regarding phase.  You also need to make sure that you're not trying to pass through a UPS as the UPS will block the signal.

An alternative, if you run into problems with Powerline, would be a MoCA connection as you have said that you have coax available.  MoCA modulates/demodulates the Ethernet signal over your existing coax and functionally will give you a hard wire Cat5 Cat6 connection to use.  If I remember correctly, you said you're using Verizon FiOS.  If that's the case you probably already have MoCA on the coax to support your cable set top boxes.  Maybe want to check into it with Verizon as MoCA will be a better faster connection than Powerline.

If you add MoCA you will need two adapters which you can pick-up on e-bay for $50-$100.  Verizon should also have the adapters.

Afterthought:  Another option (more expensive) would be to change out your router for one of the new units that supports IEEE 802.11ac and use an IEEE 802.11ac media bridge to the puck.  Many people are reporting the ability to stream Blu-ray over wifi from a server with the new IEEE 802.11ac routers.

post #9288 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The lan I need to run in the ceiling probably is only about 15 ft long. I am beginning to think I should just run it. If I tell my wife I need a Moca . . . .

Mark Haflich

post #9289 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 08:31 AM

Liked: 11
Another option is to put an airport express at you projector/server location. The airport express connects to your wireless network (wirelessly) and gives you an Ethernet port for the server. These things work great with an AirPort Extreme, but not sure how or if it works with other wireless access points. They are very small and extend the range of your main network, if needed. A direct, all wired connection would be faster though for downloading movies.

Ben
post #9290 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I'm pretty sure he has an MX151. Which will require the hdmi to spdif converter.
If he has a Lumagen with SPDIF coax out, that will handle the conversion too. That's what I'm doing for now.

...Steve

My
and

post #9291 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 10:51 AM

I don't have a Lumagen. I guess I will order a ViewHD Audio converter like joerod suggested. Don't see any used ones but the new ones are still inexpensive.

I tried comparing the Elysium Blu=ray to the 4K version on the server. I think the one on the server may have looked a little better but I was never really sure.
post #9292 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post

I tried comparing the Elysium Blu=ray to the 4K version on the server. I think the one on the server may have looked a little better but I was never really sure.

I think that's because the upscaled BD looks so good on the Sony. At least 4K Elysium doesn't look worse! wink.gif Most of the clips demonstrate how good 4K can look. That's the quality of source that I'm waiting to buy in 4K. I assume that I'm not alone in this regard. Hopefully, Sony and their Studio is listening. Since it sounds like the Studio had a loss last quarter too, they should be. 4K source needs to look BETTER than BD in order for it to sell source and hardware too.

...Steve

My
and

post #9293 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I think that's because the upscaled BD looks so good on the Sony. At least 4K Elysium doesn't look worse! wink.gif Most of the clips demonstrate how good 4K can look. That's the quality of source that I'm waiting to buy in 4K. I assume that I'm not alone in this regard. Hopefully, Sony and their Studio is listening. Since it sounds like the Studio had a loss last quarter too, they should be. 4K source needs to look BETTER than BD in order for it to sell source and hardware too.

I agree. 4K has great potential for upgrading from BD quality.

Sony used the clip "Feel the Beauty" to demo 4K at CES and at their stores. If you have not yet watched it from the puck, please do. I am hoping movies start to look as good as this some day.
post #9294 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They lost 128 million and their solution is to institute cost savings. The studio rif will save them $150 million per year. They hired a consulting company to identify another 100 million in savings. Improving quality is not one of the methods they are exploring. Picking movies that will result in big box office like Hustle and Captain Phillips is, they lost on most other stuff. Iits got nothing to do with PQ or format. Its coming up with what Joe wants to watch in the theater and rent or buy discs. what videophiles want is irrelevant. not enough return.

Mark Haflich

post #9295 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

With the new board is firmware now user upgradeable?
post #9296 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Good question. I don't know the answer.

Mark Haflich

post #9297 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Been away for a few weeks, I've been catching up on the progress and have a couple of questions:

I have had the kit for about a month. Sony called and said it would be cpl weeks more till they get out here. Atlanta is closest tech, so in the meantime I charged the tablet, connected it to my wireless network, created SEN account...

1. Can I hook up the puck now to the vw1000 so I can pair the two and have that part completed or do I have to wait for the tech to install the board?
2. I ordered Projector in 2012 and Upgrade kit in 2013 from AV science. I have an invoice but it is dated in 2014. Do I just call the number I saw posted earlier and they will recognize that I should get the 300.00 in credits?
3. I have a MX151, looking at the back of the puck it appears there is an hdmi2 out to av. But I see some posts that I need a separate cable (HDMI to SPDIF) cable to connect to the MX151?

Thanks,

Tony
post #9298 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Hifi, he said tech from Atlanta was going to be doing yours.

Cool, thanks.I haven't heard from anyone yet but no real hurry. Played with the tablet some. Seems pretty nice. It does drain the battery much faster than the iPad.

post #9299 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspotorno View Post

Been away for a few weeks, I've been catching up on the progress and have a couple of questions:

I have had the kit for about a month. Sony called and said it would be cpl weeks more till they get out here. Atlanta is closest tech, so in the meantime I charged the tablet, connected it to my wireless network, created SEN account...

1. Can I hook up the puck now to the vw1000 so I can pair the two and have that part completed or do I have to wait for the tech to install the board?
2. I ordered Projector in 2012 and Upgrade kit in 2013 from AV science. I have an invoice but it is dated in 2014. Do I just call the number I saw posted earlier and they will recognize that I should get the 300.00 in credits?
3. I have a MX151, looking at the back of the puck it appears there is an hdmi2 out to av. But I see some posts that I need a separate cable (HDMI to SPDIF) cable to connect to the MX151?

Thanks,

Tony

You need the new board first I think. Don't know for sure. You can't get 4K content from it but you may still be able to get the pin which would show as a 1080 feed. try it and see.

You should contact mike G at AV Science and check to see that you are included on the list they submitted to sony as people who ordered the kit in 2013. I am sure Mike will read this and probably post that you are on the list without you asking. give him until Monday night.

Mark Haflich

post #9300 of 10446 Old 03-22-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 317
this is interesting, I used my SEN account to download 3 of the free movies back in December when I had Mike's 600 here. I logged in to see if the new movies I was downloading was registering on their site and happened to see those 3 still there from December.

I am tempted to try and download at least 1 but I am going to be p****d if I get charged $29.95 for That's My Boy... biggrin.gif

4K-media-3.jpg

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page