post #9451 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by samalmoe View Post

i was in japan recently and decided to try visiting the sony factory for a quick tour. it was monday morning as luck would have it i was helped by a very young mr akuro who had worked in the projector division so of course i asked lots of questions about the 1100. after answering my dumb questions for a while he asked if i would like to see the 1100 developement lab..duh..went up there and it was pretty cool. so of course i asked about the rc sliders and how you're supposed to adjust the things. he looked at me and smiled and took out a white piece of paper and put it right up against the lens..power on high and on reference .he brought up the rc slider controls and put them both at their HIGHEST levels then slowly started sliding them down together until the piece of paper actually turned dark brown and then caught fire. bingo he said in perfect english , mumbled something about grasshopper and showed me the door.. thats the report, today 4/1/14

Makes perfect sense. Reason its not in the manual is the exclusion in the warranty for heat or fire damage to the machine from other the projector internals. On second thought, if they are meant to be slid together, the sliders, why didn't Sony just make it one slider?

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

I received an email today with the three vouchers, but went to add one to my wallet and the SEN site was down. rolleyes.gif

I was able to login to SEN now and add one of my vouchers using Redeem Prepaid Card option. My wallet now has $100 in it, now just need some new or high quality 4K to buy, but at least the funds are there to do so. smile.gif

Steve,
Just tried to give you a Thumbs up again, but it still doesn't work.
Guess that forum feature has been turned off.eek.gif
post #9453 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Speaking of Nietzsche...

Your avatar strikes me as something of an existential anomaly...   your resemblance to Brian Eno is uncanny.

Yes, I admire Eno greatly...plus the avatar box wouldn't fit my actual double chin...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9454 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Makes perfect sense. Reason its not in the manual is the exclusion in the warranty for heat or fire damage to the machine from other the projector internals. On second thought, if they are meant to be slid together, the sliders, why didn't Sony just make it one slider?

I believe the Sony RC circuit is derived directly from technology developed by Dr. Emilio Lizardo and Professor Toichi Hikita during the pioneering development of the Oscillation Overthruster in the early 1930's.

The original Oscillation Overthruster required and was operated with three sliding potentiometers.  Sony engineers, by using modern LSI chip design and reduced feature set, were able to reduce the control functions to two slide potentiometers.

stevenjw likes this.
post #9455 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

If the video ends up being better with a UHD source, than you shouldn't buy any Blurays either. Why buy something with subpar video?

If PQ improvement is nominal, but audio quality is significantly degraded, with the puck movies, I'll wait on 4k bluray to buy. I love uncompressed audio from bluray.

As for RC, it seems simple. Turning it on gets you 95% or more toward the goal. Keeping both sliders near the low end is best and pushes you toward 98%. For fine tuning, it is subjective and various with the content. The great thing about the great range in adjustments (with little impact after being on) is the stress it imposes on all of us wannabe perfectionists wink.gif.

Ben
post #9456 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I believe the Sony RC circuit is derived directly from technology developed by Dr. Emilio Lizardo and Professor Toichi Hikita during the pioneering development of the Oscillation Overthruster in the early 1930's.

The original Oscillation Overthruster required and was operated with three sliding potentiometers.  Sony engineers, by using modern LSI chip design and reduced feature set, were able to reduce the control functions to two slide potentiometers.

They weren't sliders. They were wiper arm circular potentiometers and were only one turn each.

Mark Haflich

post #9457 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

They weren't sliders. They were wiper arm circular potentiometers and were only one turn each.

Sorry, I was refering to the Mk lll model.

post #9458 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
both wrong..he said the 2 sliders, neither of which was necessary was put there soley for the amusement of the sony workers, who monitor this forum on their lunchbreaks.
Kris Deering likes this.
post #9459 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 402
You guys need a hobby. smile.gif Might I suggest HT. biggrin.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #9460 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Well, one thing's for sure...the new RC hasn't made YOU less aggressive...!

And he ( Mark ) is still making a lot of noise too - so up with the slider biggrin.gif

dj
post #9461 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Speaking of Nietzsche...

Your avatar strikes me as something of an existential anomaly...   your resemblance to Brian Eno is uncanny.

If its a Photo off him self (?) - I think, he looks like Vin Diesel ( Thrang, was it you in Picth Black ? )

.........and if, then you have beautiful eyes biggrin.gif

dj
post #9462 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samalmoe View Post

both wrong..he said the 2 sliders, neither of which was necessary was put there soley for the amusement of the sony workers, who monitor this forum on their lunchbreaks.

Why would they do that? There is nothing funny here.

Mark Haflich

post #9463 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Guys I've got one interested buyer in my 1000 who's interstate from me over here. I've managed to 'enlighten' him on several aspects of the 1000 as he's DLP man with an Infocus currently. He's wanting to know about anamorphic stretching in 4K mode as he's got a A-lens. I already quoted him what Mark said some time ago about existing A-lens not being 4K rated. However, he's persisting in asking me about the idea that the 1000 won't display 4K in anamorphic stretch mode? I'm struggling to verify this searching the thread. Can anyone confirm that's the case? If so I'm going to stand by what I already explained to him about the ease of using Zoom modes for 2:35.1 like I have been for the last year.

post #9464 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Guys I've got one interested buyer in my 1000 who's interstate from me over here. I've managed to 'enlighten' him on several aspects of the 1000 as he's DLP man with an Infocus currently. He's wanting to know about anamorphic stretching in 4K mode as he's got a A-lens. I already quoted him what Mark said some time ago about existing A-lens not being 4K rated. However, he's persisting in asking me about the idea that the 1000 won't display 4K in anamorphic stretch mode? I'm struggling to verify this searching the thread. Can anyone confirm that's the case? If so I'm going to stand by what I already explained to him about the ease of using Zoom modes for 2:35.1 like I have been for the last year.

Wouldn't the v-stretch aspect be what's used with an a-lens? If the question is whether v-stretch works when being fed a 4k signal, I don't know

However, where is the 4k anamorphic source material? Is this a future spec for 4k blu?

post #9465 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Wouldn't the v-stretch aspect be what's used with an a-lens? If the question is whether v-stretch works when being fed a 4k signal, I don't know

However, where is the 4k anamorphic source material? Is this a future spec for 4k blu?

Good point Thrang. He was really confusing the crap out me with the question, especially given the actual source material or lack there of. Yeah I believe he wants to know if v-stretch works with a 4K signal.

post #9466 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I believe I remember reading that the V-Stretch mode on the 1000ES only works with 1080p and not 4K. I think he'd need a lumagen, HTPC, or some other outboard scaler for 4K material. Does the motherboard upgrade add 4K V-Stretch functionality?

Schneider has come out and said the ISCO IIIL is indeed "4K ready" and will resolve 4K resolution without an issue. Though there are better anamorphic lenses out there if you've got the money. biggrin.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #9467 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I believe the V-Stretch mode on the 1000ES only works with 1080p and not 4K. I think he'd need a lumagen, HTPC, or some other outboard scaler for 4K material. Does the motherboard upgrade add 4K V-Stretch functionality?

Schneider has come out and said the ISCO IIIL is indeed "4K ready" and will resolve 4K resolution without an issue. Though there are better anamorphic lenses out there if you've got the money. biggrin.gif

Thanks Dylan, I'll pass that on, it was what I suspected.

post #9468 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Thanks Dylan, I'll pass that on, it was what I suspected.

Here's what the manual says, interpret that as you will smile.gif

lRnohnB.png

post #9469 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Here's what the manual says, interpret that as you will smile.gif

lRnohnB.png

From reading that it seems it will work with a UHD signal but not a true 4K signal. Maybe someone can test this out.

I believe this is the chart in question, your pic didn't seem to work. Seems to spell it out pretty precisely really about the capabilities of various signals with different modes:

post #9470 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice, glad you found a specific chart. Not sure why my picture isn't loading. The chart I had (in the picture that won't load) pointed to look at page 79 in the manual but didn't specify which input modes work with each specific aspect mode.

post #9471 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post

Steve,
Just tried to give you a Thumbs up again, but it still doesn't work.
Guess that forum feature has been turned off.eek.gif

Well, I got an email saying that I received a thumbs up from you, so at least that's working. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My
and

post #9472 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the head Sony engineer was named John Bigboote, if I'm not mistaken; definitely John Something-or-other.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My
and

post #9473 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I got a call from Sony last night, about a week after my 1000 was upgraded, saying that the 10 free movies (or $300 credit, not sure) will be put into my SEN account within the next 48 hrs. Pretty good service (assuming it all works.)
post #9474 of 10446 Old 04-01-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here is a little pregnant chestnut for you guys about the $300 in free movies deal and why the earlier delay. The coupons have a starting or live date of April1. No joke here. I saw a corporate communication to a reviewer on this. I wonder why sony is calling about the deal. A simple email with the codes would be fine.

I did play with the RC a bit tonight freezing a face with lots of close up detail on it. When static, just turning the RC on sharpens the detail preprocessed with my Darbee (in the Lumagen ( set to 30). Turn the resolution up a few clicks helped but the artifacting became noticeable after about 5 with little if any improvement in image above 2 or 3. The noise filtering quickly removes high frequency detail and just employing a few clicks pretty much destroys the gain in turning up the resolution. I settled on 3 for resolution and 1 for noise.

Mark Haflich

post #9475 of 10446 Old 04-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

I just opened the Sony Xperia Tablet Z to charge the battery.
The instructions say to insert the memory card. There was none in the box.
Does this come with a memory card?
post #9476 of 10446 Old 04-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Mike.
post #9477 of 10446 Old 04-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone added the micro SD memory card to their Tablet?
post #9478 of 10446 Old 04-02-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post

I just opened the Sony Xperia Tablet Z to charge the battery. The instructions say to insert the memory card. There was none in the box. Does this come with a memory card?

Pretty sure that the instructions say that it may not be included with all purchases or something like that. I just assumed it didn't come with the one included in the upgrade kit because the Xperia is basically a glorified remote for the FMP-X1. It's nice, but still a remote for HT use only in my case.

I already have an iPad and don't want to chance damaging the Xperia. If it breaks, then I'm SOL on controlling the FPM-X1 without another purchase!!! That's the main reason why I don't like the approach Sony took. I get why they did it, but it doesn't benefit me at all. I want an IR remote that I can use with a Logitech Harmony. Now if Sony made the app available for iOS or even another Android device, I'd be much more inclined to add some more memory to the Xperia and use it outside the HT.

Sometimes Sony can be really.....well.....short sighted, to put it nicely. Hence, a continual death spiral.
BOBCAT likes this.

...Steve

My
and

post #9479 of 10446 Old 04-02-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is a little pregnant chestnut for you guys about the $300 in free movies deal and why the earlier delay. The coupons have a starting or live date of April1. No joke here. I saw a corporate communication to a reviewer on this. I wonder why sony is calling about the deal. A simple email with the codes would be fine.

I did play with the RC a bit tonight freezing a face with lost of close up detail on it. When static, just turning the RC on sharpens the detail preprocessed with my Darbee (in the Lumagen ( set to 30). Turn the resolution up a few clicks helped but the artifacting became noticeable after about 5 with little if any improvement in image above 2 or 3. The noise filtering quickly removes high frequency detail and just employing a few clicks pretty much destroys the gain in turning up the resolution. I settled on 3 for resolution and 1 for noise.

Mark, see my post 8425

Its funny, my conclusion is allmost the same - I do keep noise at "0"/ minimum and the resolution was working very good up to about "6" - for now I have it on "2", the difference between RC on/off is subtle, but still a visible improvement, without any drawbacks ( "ringing" , artifacts or noise emphasis - clearly better / more refined then the RC on the 1000ES at the lowend settings )

dj
post #9480 of 10446 Old 04-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hi all,

I’m in the process of getting the update (I say “process” because there is an error at the end of the install that they are still working on). The Sony tech told me that the puck needed to be attached to the projector via HDMI2. The picture looked amazing but then I attempted to stretch the image and noticed it’s not even an option on HDMI2, it exists only on HDMI1. Any thoughts on this? What a disappointment if I can’t use the full chip by using my ISCO A lens. It makes no sense to upgrade to 4K if I have to zoom the image and end up losing the gained resolution. If I’m tracking correctly on this then an outboard scaler will need to be used like a Lumagen in order to make up for the Sony mistake of not including "stretch" on HDMI 2. Is there an outboard scaler that can accept the 4K signal from the Sony puck? Thanks all.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page