Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 328 - AVS Forum
First ... 326  327  328 329  330  ... Last
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Sony VPL-vw1000
aligborat's Avatar aligborat 05:24 PM 05-04-2014
Does anyone happen to know post-calibration on/off contrast ratio when dynamic iris is *off*?

Seegs108's Avatar Seegs108 05:29 PM 05-04-2014
I believe cine4home measured 18000:1
JustMike's Avatar JustMike 10:02 PM 05-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post

I had the same issue with my Escient Vision, Lumagen Radiance XE and a new 1100. I also had trouble with the 3D disc player seeing the 1100. I spoke with Jim at Lumagen, and he suggested I install their HDMI Video Extender, which I had, at the projector side of the of a 10m cable. I tried it and all the flashing, hiccups, and the 3D issue went away. I no longer have any issues with using 1080p/24.

Huh, no kidding. I did talk with Jim about it, and his first suggestion was to bypass my Classé (by using the Radiance's second HDMI port to send audio to it). That would reduce the number of HDMI devices by one. He didn't mention the extender, but perhaps that would be the next step if the bypass doesn't work. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I do think that the 1100 might be a little bit better about the HDMI flashing than the 1000, but not by a lot. I really prefer to have the Classé in the loop, though, so that I can see volume and codec on the screen when I'm in the theater.
sanderdvd's Avatar sanderdvd 07:48 AM 05-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I believe cine4home measured 18000:1
you have a source for this? I find this hard to believe since I measured my VW1000 @8800:1 after ISF calibration.
sanderdvd's Avatar sanderdvd 07:48 AM 05-05-2014
Anyone in Europe already got the upgrade? I have not seen a sign of it
Seegs108's Avatar Seegs108 08:06 AM 05-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

you have a source for this? I find this hard to believe since I measured my VW1000 @8800:1 after ISF calibration.

It depends on zoom/iris positition. 18000:1 is the max:
Quote:
The native contrast ratio shall be, as with the previous series, depending on the zoom and iris adjustment (they can also be operated statically), between 8,000:1 (on iris, zoom max) and 18,000:1 (iris, zoom min) . These are impressive values, when put into the context to the very high light yield of the VPL-VW1000. In other words, the VW1000 has despite improved light output over the same native dynamic range, such as a VW95. But that's not the black level deteriorated due to the higher light output, you have the adaptive iris so cleverly enhanced to work more efficiently at the lower end of the light scale. It concludes that the VW1000 looks a bit more plastic than its "little fellow".

Source:
http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/Sony_VPL-VW1000/Sony_VW1000_Preview.htm
aligborat's Avatar aligborat 08:09 AM 05-05-2014
Quote:

Ok. Either way though it's somewhere in that ballpark.

We measured about 180:1 in-room ANSI contrast. Of course that's a room-dependent number. I'd expect that post-calibration native contrast is what you'd get for in-room ANSI if you have a totally black room. So, as far as room interior design, it's maybe an ideal to reach for. But, as I understand, 180:1 is very good, and anything more than about 300:1 is extremely hard to achieve -- unless you really want a black room.
sanderdvd's Avatar sanderdvd 08:17 AM 05-05-2014
aligborat: ansi contrast and (native) contrast all 2 completely different things.
Deja Vu's Avatar Deja Vu 08:37 AM 05-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligborat View Post

Ok. Either way though it's somewhere in that ballpark.

We measured about 180:1 in-room ANSI contrast. Of course that's a room-dependent number. I'd expect that post-calibration native contrast is what you'd get for in-room ANSI if you have a totally black room. So, as far as room interior design, it's maybe an ideal to reach for. But, as I understand, 180:1 is very good, and anything more than about 300:1 is extremely hard to achieve -- unless you really want a black room.

ANSI I believe refers to inter-scene contrast (or something akin to it) and native contrast refers to the ratio between full white and full black (that the the display is capable of achieving). I measured 400:1 for my NEC DLP LT150 (ANSI contrast) digital display 12 years ago. My G90 was only capable of 130:1 or so (ANSI contrast). My modified NEC had a full on/off contrast of around 1600:1, while the gamma corrected G90 could hold a fade to black for as long as required. The G90 with its huge native on/off had a much more dynamic image even though it couldn't match the digital projector's much higher ANSI contrast. For me, a high on/off contrast ratio is more important than a high ANSI contrast ratio.
aligborat's Avatar aligborat 08:45 AM 05-05-2014
Quote:

aligborat: ansi contrast and (native) contrast all 2 completely different things.

I think you're missing my point. :-) But that's ok.
hifiaudio2's Avatar hifiaudio2 08:59 AM 05-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29 View Post

Finally finally finally building my addition on my new house so I can get my 1000 up and running again. I have the opportunity to put the projector in a room behind my media room with a view port instead of hanging it from the ceiling. I can either leave the viewport open or put a piece of glass in. Should I use a piece of optical glass? If so, where can I get the glass? How do I go about calculating the size of the viewport for our projector?

Also, I don't want to read the whole thread (being somewhat lazy). Is spending the money on the upgrade worth it?

Its always great to be able to put the projector in a separate room. I would just design it so that you could add glass later if you wanted. You wont need it with the Sony, but a future, possibly louder projector might benefit. Just leave yourself the option.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 09:12 AM 05-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29 View Post

Finally finally finally building my addition on my new house so I can get my 1000 up and running again. I have the opportunity to put the projector in a room behind my media room with a view port instead of hanging it from the ceiling. I can either leave the viewport open or put a piece of glass in. Should I use a piece of optical glass? If so, where can I get the glass? How do I go about calculating the size of the viewport for our projector?

Also, I don't want to read the whole thread (being somewhat lazy). Is spending the money on the upgrade worth it?

If installing glass in the port, angle it about 7 degrees to avoid light reflection bouncing back. You can get it here: http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/windows-diffusers/visible-windows/anti-reflection-ar-coated-high-efficiency-windows/1919
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 09:49 AM 05-05-2014
Good stuff and for less than 50 bucks you can get a big piece. Remember 1 inch equals 25.4 mm.
replayreb's Avatar replayreb 09:29 PM 05-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

I forgot I also need to fabricate a LAN to mini din adapter still before I can get it connected. So it may be a few more days before it's hooked up.

I bought a 55es from an unauthorized online dealer and I guess he is importing them because it didn't come with a bulb voucher like most of the stateside 55es' but it did come with the RF adapter cable so I pulled out the multimeter and discovered the pinout. You'll need a 3-pin Mini Din connector aka "Mini Din 3". Here's one on ebay from California: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILMORE-3-PIN-MINI-DIN-PLUG-CONNECTOR-EMA3-/151128237712

Or if you don't mind waiting 3 weeks you can get 5 for 1/4 the price smile.gifhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Mini-DIN-Connector-Male-Plug-3-pin-1102-3-/130413530578

OzHDHT's Avatar OzHDHT 10:26 PM 05-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayreb View Post

I bought a 55es from an unauthorized online dealer and I guess he is importing them because it didn't come with a bulb voucher like most of the stateside 55es' but it did come with the RF adapter cable so I pulled out the multimeter and discovered the pinout. You'll need a 3-pin Mini Din connector aka "Mini Din 3". Here's one on ebay from California: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILMORE-3-PIN-MINI-DIN-PLUG-CONNECTOR-EMA3-/151128237712

Or if you don't mind waiting 3 weeks you can get 5 for 1/4 the price smile.gifhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Mini-DIN-Connector-Male-Plug-3-pin-1102-3-/130413530578

Awesome, good work. I can't source a 3 pin din locally so I have to order one from eBay.
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 11:48 PM 05-06-2014
thanks for the info on the 3 PIN cable ends, I'll give it a shot with my MV3D RF transmitter on the VW1100.
replayreb's Avatar replayreb 11:52 PM 05-06-2014
You know it might even be easier to get a black-colored length of ethernet cable and just crack open the XPAND unit and solder the connections inside the box and forego making the connector altogether. Basically replace the XPAND unit's 3-pin cable with Cat-5 all the way. You would need to test continuity on the 3-pin cable first to make sure you don't send 12V to the wrong contact point inside the box and literally blow your $29.99 bargain! It looks like from your picture that it is held together with screws (mine won't get here 'til Monday so I don't know for sure) so it should be easy to open it up to see how hard it would be to do that vs. making the adapter cable.

OzHDHT's Avatar OzHDHT 12:21 AM 05-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayreb View Post

You know it might even be easier to get a black-colored length of ethernet cable and just crack open the XPAND unit and solder the connections inside the box and forego making the connector altogether. Basically replace the XPAND unit's 3-pin cable with Cat-5 all the way. You would need to test continuity on the 3-pin cable first to make sure you don't send 12V to the wrong contact point inside the box and literally blow your $29.99 bargain! It looks like from your picture that it is held together with screws (mine won't get here 'til Monday so I don't know for sure) so it should be easy to open it up to see how hard it would be to do that vs. making the adapter cable.

Had crossed my mind to do that. Def easier now that the RJ45 pinouts are confirmed. I'd prob splice an RJ45 cable though rather than opening the transmitter box.
replayreb's Avatar replayreb 10:21 AM 05-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

thanks for the info on the 3 PIN cable ends, I'll give it a shot with my MV3D RF transmitter on the VW1100.

One thing got me to thinking is that the RJ45 connector on the RF adapter cable has a metal casing on it that is grounded to the shielding on the 3-pin side as well. I suspect it's just shielding and not negative 12V so perhaps a metal RJ45 connector is not needed. Just to make sure I pulled out the multimeter again and it turns out I missed a few contacts. As soon as I found continuity on one of the pins the first time I tested it I failed to go all the way to the end and test every single one of them so I tested it again and it turns out the right pin on the 3-pin mini din is actually connected to the 3rd, 7th and 8th contacts on the RJ45. Sorry for the amateurism but...I am an amateur. smile.gif

mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 10:52 AM 05-07-2014
There have been wiring diagrams posted before showing that there are multiple pins that need to be joined together. If one uses an external ps for the emitter, the whole mess becomes a lot simpler and eliminates active parts on the wiring diagrams needed to change the voltage on the Sony pins to that needed for various external emitters.
hermosa's Avatar hermosa 10:55 AM 05-07-2014
Airborne 4K
By Bob Ankosko • Posted: May 6, 2014

NanoTech Entertainment has a little something owners of 4K/Ultra HDTVs might be interested in: the Nuvola NP-1 4K Ultra HD streaming media player, a versatile 3 x 1 x 4-inch device that supports 3D game playing, Web browsing, and 4K streaming. Connect the tiny box to any network with a bandwidth of 6 megabits per second or greater—via Wi-Fi or hard-wire Ethernet—and you’re ready to go.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75

The player comes bundled with 10 free movie rentals and access to more than 100 hours of free ad-supported content on the NanoFlix UltraHD Network. Among the free content is a selection of Moving Murals video art, featuring constantly changing nature scenes based on time-lapse photography. NanoTech says it is actively working to acquire rights for more content, which will include 35mm films that have been converted to 4K. The NP-1 also provides pre-installed apps—including Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Amazon Prime, Pandora—and a handful of games, including Repulze, Angry Birds, Steampunk Racing 3D, and Tank Hero.

At the core of the player is the Android 4.2 (JellyBean) operating system, an ultra-fast nVidia Tegra 4/Quad Core Cortex-A15 mobile processor, 2 GB of DDR RAM, 16 GB of flash storage with connections for adding external storage devices, and H.264 compression, which facilitates 4K streaming; NanoTech says H.264 will be automatically updated with the latest H.265 codecs as they become available. The player has an HDMI output as well as USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

Aiming not required: Unlike traditional infrared (IR) remote controls that must be pointed toward the device they’re operating, the NP-1 includes a simple Bluetooth remote that works at any angle. NanoTech also sells the supercharged RF-10 remote ($69), featuring a three-axis motion sensor for game play, handheld mouse control, and a mini QWERTY keyboard. Other accessories include the GP-1 Gamepad controller ($49) and the TV-U1 USB tuner for picking up local broadcast TV channels ($99). Price: $299
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 05:17 PM 05-07-2014
Web page shows it out of stock Five stars but no reviews. Penny stock company trading at about 8 cents per share now.. Basically when non existent about a year ago, it won all sorts of awards. I suspect most of the delays are the result of vast under capitalization with a loss per share of 7 cents and a founder who is serving prison time for white collar offenses allegedly committed prior to founding Nanotek. I will wait until supply is available and reviewers with large screen panels and 4K projectors do reviews. i have heard that Ingram Micro an AV distributor for installers with sever different distribution chains ordered 20,000 but I dunno. If so, the trunk slammers in the business will have it on the internet for below MSRP..
hermosa's Avatar hermosa 05:41 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Web page shows it out of stock Five stars but no reviews. Penny stock company trading at about 8 cents per share now.. Basically when non existent about a year ago, it won all sorts of awards. I suspect most of the delays are the result of vast under capitalization with a loss per share of 7 cents and a founder who is serving prison time for white collar offenses allegedly committed prior to founding Nanotek. I will wait until supply is available and reviewers with large screen panels and 4K projectors do reviews. i have heard that Ingram Micro an AV distributor for installers with sever different distribution chains ordered 20,000 but I dunno. If so, the trunk slammers in the business will have it on the internet for below MSRP..

I wasn't touting the product, just passing along the info. I probably wouldn't buy it either at this point in its development. But it is encouraging that this type of product is starting to get developed. The only way we are going to be able to decode 4k streaming for our projectors is with a similar device. Maybe Roku or Apple might be next incorporating similar features into their streaming devices. We will get 4k streaming before we will see 4k Blu Ray.
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 06:03 PM 05-07-2014
I fully agree. If it is to be worthwhile and successful, 4K Bluray will have to deliver from the get go a significantly better image than streaming can. It will have to exceed existing 4K display capabilities as well. Its coming is going to take a significant period of time and might even not occur next year. I might give Manni a double or nothing bet for next year.
OzHDHT's Avatar OzHDHT 06:31 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosa View Post

Airborne 4K

NanoTech Entertainment has a little something owners of 4K/Ultra HDTVs might be interested in: the Nuvola NP-1 4K Ultra HD streaming media player, a versatile 3 x 1 x 4-inch device that supports 3D game playing, Web browsing, and 4K streaming. Connect the tiny box to any network with a bandwidth of 6 megabits per second or greater—via Wi-Fi or hard-wire Ethernet—and you’re ready to go.

The player comes bundled with 10 free movie rentals and access to more than 100 hours of free ad-supported content on the NanoFlix UltraHD Network. Among the free content is a selection of Moving Murals video art, featuring constantly changing nature scenes based on time-lapse photography. NanoTech says it is actively working to acquire rights for more content, which will include 35mm films that have been converted to 4K. The NP-1 also provides pre-installed apps—including Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Amazon Prime, Pandora—and a handful of games, including Repulze, Angry Birds, Steampunk Racing 3D, and Tank Hero.

At the core of the player is the Android 4.2 (JellyBean) operating system, an ultra-fast nVidia Tegra 4/Quad Core Cortex-A15 mobile processor, 2 GB of DDR RAM, 16 GB of flash storage with connections for adding external storage devices, and H.264 compression, which facilitates 4K streaming; NanoTech says H.264 will be automatically updated with the latest H.265 codecs as they become available. The player has an HDMI output as well as USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

Aiming not required: Unlike traditional infrared (IR) remote controls that must be pointed toward the device they’re operating, the NP-1 includes a simple Bluetooth remote that works at any angle. NanoTech also sells the supercharged RF-10 remote ($69), featuring a three-axis motion sensor for game play, handheld mouse control, and a mini QWERTY keyboard. Other accessories include the GP-1 Gamepad controller ($49) and the TV-U1 USB tuner for picking up local broadcast TV channels ($99). Price: $299

You seen the latest article linked in the post on this player. Talks about the woeful content deal they've struck. I had preorder for one, but now I'm questioning whether I still want one:
Quote:
Today, NanoTech, a brand which few consumers know, announced that its UltraFlix 4K Streaming Service now offers “the world’s largest library of 4K VOD (video on demand) content.” It could be available as an app that could be integrated into 4K TVs down the road. It’ll definitely be a box that you can buy.

Just how much content? “More than 200 hours… in addition top 100 hours of free content.” Hey, you gotta start somewhere, right?

The titles are, shall we say, underwhelming. Movies like Freeway, Getting Gotti, Basil, Grizzly, Oblivion, The Complex, Manterra, SOLO, Return of Superfly, Shotgun Stories. If you’re not familiar with those, you’re not alone. Neither am I. NanoTech is also offering “extreme sports” content, documentaries, and concerts.

http://www.technologytell.com/hometech/106272/need-4k-ultra-hd-content-nanotechs-got-can-get/
Ron Jones's Avatar Ron Jones 07:47 AM 05-08-2014
On the subject of the NanoTech player/4K streaming service: given they are using 6Mbps streaming encoded using h.264, the quality is bound to be really poor for video with any fast motion, and perhaps even slow motion. Even the new Netflix 4K service using the more efficient h.265/HEVC codec at 15 Mbps is reported to not have good handling of fast motion.
Abbas's Avatar Abbas 10:29 AM 05-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosa View Post

Airborne 4K

I ordered one last August as soon as they were taking pre-orders and I am still waiting. I know the $699 version as shipped but I am not willing to pay more than the $299 for it.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 02:55 PM 05-08-2014
Here is some info on the two units:

"The NP-H1 is Windows based and sells for $700-$1000 depending on configuration. It is my “go to” 4K demo unit. Video quality is limited to 24 FPS or 30 FPS, and it’s standard Blu-ray type color. Having said that, I can show the Elyisum trailer in 4K, a 4K Muse Concert video and other material and even my most critical reviewers seem to be very impressed.

All my demos are content on the hard drive, not streaming. But, I did see their streaming demo at CES, and it was impressive. Obviously, 6Mbps is a bit of a compromise, but if you have 10-20Mbps, it’s surprisingly good. The unit is nothing more than a small form factor Windows 7 PC that is optimized for 4K. For people that want a plug n’ play solution it is nice. It has an optical audio out in addition to HDMI. Lastly, it is 4K resolution with HDMI 1.4. In other words it is great in terms of what’s available now, but it will never do 60FPS or give you anything beyond REC709 color. The NP-1 unit is essentially similar to an Apple TV that runs on Android. Having said that, the PQ is just as good as the other Nanotech. This will be one of the first separate set top boxes to work with 4K Net Flix. It can also do 4K gaming, and runs all the popular Android Apps. Only downside I see is that it only has HDMI out. Not bad for a $299 retail."

The fact it can do 4K Netflix should make this appealing to many. smile.gif
turls's Avatar turls 02:59 PM 05-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The fact it can do 4K Netflix should make this appealing to many. smile.gif

Obviously, except the problem is that I've seen no verification that they are an actual partner with Netflix for 4k. Everybody wants to be, but few are.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 07:35 PM 05-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

Obviously, except the problem is that I've seen no verification that they are an actual partner with Netflix for 4k. Everybody wants to be, but few are.

Product is not released yet. smile.gif
Tags: Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
First ... 326  327  328 329  330  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop