post #9901 of 10771 Old 05-20-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligborat View Post

That would be me, in case he has someone else in mind.

Why'd I pass? In short, because nothing else in my video chain talks HDMI 2.0, and when HDMI 2.0 (and 4K/60) become more stable / normalized, I plan on upgrading all of the video components, projector included. And I did not think I'd recoup the cost of the upgrade when I sell the projector.

If I had the option to upgrade motherboard / firmware only for a lesser price, I probably would have taken that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 10771 Old 05-20-2014, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My bulb is at 1988 hours. How long do I push this? Is there a message that will pop up when it's time to change or will it just stop working?

post #9903 of 10771 Old 05-20-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

My bulb is at 1988 hours. How long do I push this? Is there a message that will pop up when it's time to change or will it just stop working?

On page 73 of the owners manual -

" The lamp used for the light source has a
certain lifespan. When the lamp dims, the
color balance of the picture becomes strange,
or “Please replace the Lamp.” appears on the
screen, the lamp may be exhausted. Replace
the lamp with a new one (not supplied)
without delay. "

Does the picture look " strange " ( that's a new one ) ?

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #9904 of 10771 Old 05-20-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

If it still looks bright enough and not "strange", I'd keep running it until you really notice and not worry about the actual hours. I'd have a backup on hand too (perhaps the one from the upgrade).

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #9905 of 10771 Old 05-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

If it still looks bright enough and not "strange", I'd keep running it until you really notice and not worry about the actual hours. I'd have a backup on hand too (perhaps the one from the upgrade).

Got it, thanks. Surprisingly I think it looks great still but I do have the upgrade spare on deck ready.

post #9906 of 10771 Old 05-20-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 333
The only problem with having a spare lamp handy is that the warranty period starts from the day you get the lamp - whether you use it or not, So if you get a spare lamp, start using it as soon as you receive it. Take the old still working lamp out of your projector and keep that as a spare back up lamp.
turls likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #9907 of 10771 Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

Just remember that there is a time limit to this and there are only a finite number of upgrade kits out there...and this is from Sony's lead tech.

It may already be too late, though.

I would at least check!
Just got a official confirmation from Sony Prime Support that the motherboard swap will never have a time limit or something like that. They told me that they don t know who started this rumor but it s not true.
post #9908 of 10771 Old 05-21-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

Just got a official confirmation from Sony Prime Support that the motherboard swap will never have a time limit or something like that. They told me that they don t know who started this rumor but it s not true.

Oh that would be Mike, in an effort to maximize his Q1 sales numbers...smile.gif
post #9909 of 10771 Old 05-21-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Oh that would be Mike, in an effort to maximize his Q1 sales numbers...smile.gif

That so called rumor came from Sony. I have it in an email. smile.gif
I guess it was also a rumor that installation of the upgrade was going to start at the end of October.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #9910 of 10771 Old 05-21-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Actualy, federal law requires sony to maintain spare parts for seven years for any model. The 1100ES mother board would be a spare part, The package of a board, fre home installation, a new board, the puck and the tablet could indeed expire.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #9911 of 10771 Old 05-21-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 310
The "rumor" came from Sony Dave posted right here in this thread. IIRC he said orders for it should be made before the end of March.
post #9912 of 10771 Old 05-21-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

He no longer works for Sony.He was laid off in the last round of cuts. He was and is a real good guy.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9913 of 10771 Old 05-21-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

He no longer works for Sony.He was laid off in the last round of cuts. He was and is a real good guy.

That's terrible. He seemed like a nice guy.

For those interested, his full post was here.

Quote:
OK- So the Press release is done and we can talk about the VPL-VW1000ES upgrade

Because many of you have VPL-VW1000ES projectors and because I teased you earlier, I wanted to address the update of this great projector and what we are telling people here. We did add some features to the VPL-VW1100ES that the VPL-VW1000ES didn’t have. Since you are an early adopter and are our advocates, if you purchase our update we are going to actually swap out the complete mother board and effectively take your VPL-VW1000ES and turn it into a VPL-VW1100ES. In fact, after the update if you go into the menu, I believe it will say that you now have the VW1100ES. We wanted to make sure early adopters felt taken care of. That was very important to us.
Because there are many variables in each installation we feel our dealers might be better able to deal with the installation issues of putting a 4K Media player into your system than selling direct to customers. That being said, we can’t quote you a price as your installer will have to do that but we have not raised our dealer price from what I originally told you. Please make sure to order this update before March 31st as this is a limited time we can support doing these updates.

So it seems what Sony meant was the In-Home Service to update the 1000ES was a limited time event, not ordering the motherboard (or even sending your unit in for the update).
post #9914 of 10771 Old 05-21-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

That's terrible. He seemed like a nice guy.

For those interested, his full post was here.
So it seems what Sony meant was the In-Home Service to update the 1000ES was a limited time event, not ordering the motherboard (or even sending your unit in for the update).

Is not that it seems, as I said on my previous response about this subject, Sony WILL perform an "elective upgrade service" upon request, regardless of this upgrade program and deadline, although it will not be at your home, and will not include the lamp, tablet and player, and with it the $300 movie credits of course.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo La Maestra
post #9915 of 10771 Old 05-21-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. La Maestra View Post

Is not that it seems, as I said on my previous response about this subject, Sony WILL perform an "elective upgrade service" upon request, regardless of this upgrade program and deadline, although it will not be at your home, and will not include the lamp, tablet and player, and with it the $300 movie credits of course.

Yes, but I'm talking about the service and kit as a whole. Just the motherboard by itself is something completely different and I was never questioning that. I posted that quote because I think people were confusing the announcement of the kit and the standalone motherboard upgrade. The former is a time sensitive in-home service whereas the latter is less convenient but available for the foreseeable future.
post #9916 of 10771 Old 05-21-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Yes, but I'm talking about the service and kit as a whole. Just the motherboard by itself is something completely different and I was never questioning that. I posted that quote because I think people were confusing the announcement of the kit and the standalone motherboard upgrade. The former is a time sensitive in-home service whereas the latter is less convenient but available for the foreseeable future.

That makes total sense Dylan. I agree two different things. For folks like me based O.S., we never had the benefit of the in home scenario - my seemingly simple and very quick in home solution (till I got the bill:rolleyes:) was to swap to the 1100. However, the board upgrade itself was always available as I discovered quite easily here a little while ago.

post #9917 of 10771 Old 05-21-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:

I assumed you already knew that the upgrade program had a deadline and that you had to request the service before a date that is already past, that has been discussed for months.  I read no confusion on the thread, the timing to request the package program is gone, but the elective service option I mentioned still gives you the chance to upgrade the board, software, with a couple of hours of labor, which is much better than having a $25K projector that is obsolete for 60fps and HDCP 2.2.

In addition, the puck is useless relative to a new player that cost $200 less pre-ordered and have streaming on top, that is if you are into downloads or streaming, otherwise one would trash them the minute 4K BD comes out, the supplied tablet maybe sleek but does not compare to the iPad for tablet use, and the projector has to be uninstalled either way, the only item of value one would actually loose is the extra lamp, but the regular program is $2500 estimate, while the elective service could be $1000 + labor (estimated, to be confirmed at invoice), where exactly do you loose by doing the elective service when you are ready, other than the inconvenience of having to ship the projector? 

Best Regards,

Rodolfo La Maestra
post #9918 of 10771 Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

where exactly do you loose by doing the elective service when you are ready, other than the inconvenience of having to ship the projector? 

IMO, shipping the projector is much more than inconvenience. Did you see the posts with pics much earlier of the horror story of how a projector came back after ship-in service? And with Sony being bare-bones now, its something I hope to avoid the displeasure of dealing with...ever...

Matt
post #9919 of 10771 Old 05-21-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

IMO, shipping the projector is much more than inconvenience. Did you see the posts with pics much earlier of the horror story of how a projector came back after ship-in service? And with Sony being bare-bones now, its something I hope to avoid the displeasure of dealing with...ever...

I agree, is risky.  However, I have sent many projectors cross country before and nothing went wrong, but the risk was always there, so I always insured them at MSRP price with FedEx, which cost several times the cost of the shipment. 

Other than the information I obtained for my article no other details of the elective upgrade were provided by Sony, but I still have work to do with Sony and perhaps they may later allow local authorized service centers to eventually perform the elective service, or to pay extra and have in-home service as when a large panel needs service, it always boils down to money and who pays for what at the end.  

Not ignoring the above, the way I see it is simple, I rather still have the option of upgrading later than not having it at all because I missed the deadline or choose not to accept it.  Up until recently many owners were worried because their expensive projectors may have to be dumped on eBay at discount if they were not upgraded to been able to play 60fps/HDCP2.2 4K content, and many reluctantly did so to avoid loosing the chance, not because they were eager to download unappealing 24fps/4:2:0/Rec 709/Dolby Pro-Logic movies with an obsolete puck.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo La Maestra
post #9920 of 10771 Old 05-22-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

INot ignoring the above, the way I see it is simple, I rather still have the option of upgrading later than not having it at all because I missed the deadline or choose not to accept it.  Up until recently many owners were worried because their expensive projectors may have to be dumped on eBay at discount if they were not upgraded to been able to play 60fps/HDCP2.2 4K content, and many reluctantly did so to avoid loosing the chance, not because they were eager to download unappealing 24fps/4:2:0/Rec 709/Dolby Pro-Logic movies with an obsolete puck.

Totally agreed, lets add some more fuel to the fire. One reason implied by some here for going ahead with this update--the technology in the upgrade is so bare-bones, thanks to a poor HDMI 2.0 implementation, that you would be left behind if there was yet another upgrade offered later, because you would not be able to skip an upgrade step. Now it seems in the unlikely case you get a 2nd upgrade when/if a better HDMI 2.x implementation comes out, you will still be able to get the first upgrade even if it is required as a pre-req for the 2nd update.

Matt
post #9921 of 10771 Old 05-22-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Yeah if it could be done anytime later, I would not have pulled the trigger now. But oh well.
post #9922 of 10771 Old 05-22-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Yeah if it could be done anytime later, I would not have pulled the trigger now. But oh well.

Let's put it this way. If I have to send it off, I'm glad I didn't wait. If there ever comes a day I could drive this to a local service center and get the upgrade and only pay for a board and labor and it be cheaper than what I paid a few months ago, I'm going to feel abused.

Matt
post #9923 of 10771 Old 05-22-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I feel somewhat abused, mainly because of the very quick obsolescence of the puck and requirement to pay for the extra hardware driving up the price. The fact that some were touting the need to do it to maintain resale value doesn't help, but not my main objection. It's buying their already obsolete puck and required tablet for remote that leaves the sour taste.

However, what's done is done and on the flip side, there was no loss of use and chance of damage in shipping it to Loredo. I'm not sure what labor costs will be, but factor them in plus shipping in the projector and the $1000 for the MB and how much less is it really then $2535 (includes shipping kit from AVS for in-house MB, $300 credit, spare lamp, Xperia tablet, and FPM-X1)? It's probably no worse than a wash, but it sure would help if Sony provided a substantial discount for the new player in a trade-in.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

post #9924 of 10771 Old 05-22-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Well I got $360 for my puck selling it used through Amazon marketplace, so that would put a dent in the $499 price of the new server, but I doubt I will buy that unit anyway. Unless the content really turns it up a notch...

I just don't care for the download / streaming model.
post #9925 of 10771 Old 05-22-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:

And I was talking the same. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #9926 of 10771 Old 05-22-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Well I got $360 for my puck selling it used through Amazon marketplace, so that would put a dent in the $499 price of the new server, but I doubt I will buy that unit anyway. Unless the content really turns it up a notch...

I just don't care for the download / streaming model.

That's a great price.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #9927 of 10771 Old 05-22-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I feel somewhat abused, mainly because of the very quick obsolescence of the puck and requirement to pay for the extra hardware driving up the price. The fact that some were touting the need to do it to maintain resale value doesn't help, but not my main objection. It's buying their already obsolete puck and required tablet for remote that leaves the sour taste.

However, what's done is done and on the flip side, there was no loss of use and chance of damage in shipping it to Loredo. I'm not sure what labor costs will be, but factor them in plus shipping in the projector and the $1000 for the MB and how much less is it really then $2535 (includes shipping kit from AVS for in-house MB, $300 credit, spare lamp, Xperia tablet, and FPM-X1)? It's probably no worse than a wash, but it sure would help if Sony provided a substantial discount for the new player in a trade-in.

Though I have no right to call myself a psychologist, I would consider you to be totally abused. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9928 of 10771 Old 05-22-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Don't feel too abused, the 'plain vanilla' upgrade over here, that's strictly the MB and firmware, not done on site, costs a person like me who buy Sony projectors at commercial pricing: $2,960.00 plus labor of $1,560.00 = $4,520.00 ($US4166) before sales tax! That's why I kept the 1100 and am still wrangling with selling my 1000, which Sony claim to have a solution for me with finally..

post #9929 of 10771 Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Though I have no right to call myself a psychologist, I would consider you to be totally abused. smile.gif

Abused? Absolutely! My mother would be doing hard-time for what was clearly child abuse by today's standards. Seriously! And I couldn't have loved her more either.

I also drank from the garden hose, played with toys guns, and rode a bicycle, mini-bike, and then dirt bike without any helmet. We also said the Pledge of Allegiance and prayed in school. We had winners and losers in sports too. Bruises were expected. All of it built character.

...Steve

post #9930 of 10771 Old 05-22-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You left out the gilt Jewish mothers made you feel.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page