post #9931 of 10379 Old 05-23-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

You left out the gilt Jewish mothers made you feel.

Dad was Jewish. My mom was Sicilian so fuhgeddaboudit. I was always told that there are no guilty Sicilians including those serving time. It was only discrimination against Italian-Americans! wink.gif

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 10379 Old 05-23-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For whatever its worth... Mike just sold me an upgrade kit and should hopefully be installed soon. I had no idea about the March cut-off. Sony never emailed me anything to the like even though I registered the product and would have had some unpleasant words with Sony if I weren't able to upgrade it. My projector has been in a box since I moved across the country in August and am now just waiting to finish my room.
post #9933 of 10379 Old 05-24-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Need help picking a screen... I had a Firehawk G3 in my old house and the sparklies bothered me. I really like the look of the SI zero edge but saw the BD 1.3 and it was far worse for sparklies than the G3 was. My room is going to be light gray with white ceilings and off white carpet. It is not light controlled and will have blackout shades over the windows but light will still manage to get in. Mike is suggesting the Supernova Blade .85 gain. Its a beautiful looking screen but is the .85 gain going to be too dark? Any and all advice is appreciated.
post #9934 of 10379 Old 05-24-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29 View Post

Need help picking a screen... I had a Firehawk G3 in my old house and the sparklies bothered me. I really like the look of the SI zero edge but saw the BD 1.3 and it was far worse for sparklies than the G3 was. My room is going to be light gray with white ceilings and off white carpet. It is not light controlled and will have blackout shades over the windows but light will still manage to get in. Mike is suggesting the Supernova Blade .85 gain. Its a beautiful looking screen but is the .85 gain going to be too dark? Any and all advice is appreciated.

What size are you looking at?
post #9935 of 10379 Old 05-24-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

110" 16:9. Its a small room and seating will be approx 12.5' back.
post #9936 of 10379 Old 05-25-2014, 02:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29 View Post

110" 16:9. Its a small room and seating will be approx 12.5' back.

I have the Supernova 08-85 and I dont find it to dim, I have the 128" 2.35:1 screen in combination with the VW1000 and I love this setup.smile.gif

When watching 3D it is to dim, but I find all 3D with this projector to be quite dim if you don´t have a HP screen.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #9937 of 10379 Old 05-26-2014, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi

The picture from my Sony PJ seems to be 'pulsing' I think its most noticeable in parts where the picture is white It's a recent phenomenon.

I thought it might be the BD but it's also happening on satellite. I haven't run direct to the PJ yet as opposed to through my Denon AVP processor. I've got around 500hrs on the bulb. Is this a known issue? Any thoughts on what I should be checking. Thx
post #9938 of 10379 Old 05-28-2014, 01:55 AM

Liked: 13
Hi,

are you running the sony in low lamp mode? If so, set it to high for a couple of hours and the pulsing should stop.

Cheers
ecossecableman likes this.
post #9939 of 10379 Old 05-28-2014, 02:08 AM

Thx Riddick

I'll certainly try that. So is this a known problem and why would at fix it?
post #9940 of 10379 Old 05-28-2014, 04:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 358
The definition of a known problem is exactly what? If one person has experienced a problem and doesn't communicate it to the masses, is it known or unknown? No one here (assuming many 1000ES owners are here) has experienced the problem or if they did, cared enough to report it. Or they are too lazy to respond to you. The lack of responses probably means the problem you reported are unknown. Let us know if running the bulb on high for a few hours fixes the problem when you switch back to low. If it does, then we can postulate reasons why the fix worked. if it doesn't, then we can exert precious and limited brain power in trying to diagnose and fix.
ecossecableman likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #9941 of 10379 Old 05-28-2014, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

The definition of a known problem is exactly what? If one person has experienced a problem and doesn't communicate it to the masses, is it known or unknown? No one here (assuming many 1000ES owners are here) has experienced the problem or if they did, cared enough to report it. Or they are too lazy to respond to you. The lack of responses probably means the problem you reported are unknown. Let us know if running the bulb on high for a few hours fixes the problem when you switch back to low. If it does, then we can postulate reasons why the fix worked. if it doesn't, then we can exert precious and limited brain power in trying to diagnose and fix.

I have had the issue and was told the same thing by Sony - there were posts in here somewhere about it. It addresses the issue for a while, but not permanently.
post #9942 of 10379 Old 05-28-2014, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

.....can exert precious and limited brain power ...........

Spoken like a true AVS veteran Mark. smile.gif
post #9943 of 10379 Old 05-28-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:

The definition of a known problem is exactly what? If one person has experienced a problem and doesn't communicate it to the masses, is it known or unknown? No one here (assuming many 1000ES owners are here) has experienced the problem or if they did, cared enough to report it. Or they are too lazy to respond to you. The lack of responses probably means the problem you reported are unknown. Let us know if running the bulb on high for a few hours fixes the problem when you switch back to low. If it does, then we can postulate reasons why the fix worked. if it doesn't, then we can exert precious and limited brain power in trying to diagnose and fix.[/quote

one can ask for no more Mark
post #9944 of 10379 Old 05-28-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I have had the issue and was told the same thing by Sony - there were posts in here somewhere about it. It addresses the issue for a while, but not permanently.

now THATS a worry - do you think swapping out the bulb will fix it permanently or does it have to go back?
post #9945 of 10379 Old 05-28-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
If anyone is interested: I have my VPL-VW1000ES for sale. Placed it in the adverts too.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1533537/sony-vpl-vw1000es/0_100
post #9946 of 10379 Old 05-28-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecossecableman View Post

now THATS a worry - do you think swapping out the bulb will fix it permanently or does it have to go back?

well I did it and as soon as I went to HIGH it stopped pulsing, went back to LOW and its no longer pulsing- fingers very firmly crossed:)
post #9947 of 10379 Old 05-28-2014, 07:32 AM

What's the reason to run in low instead of high? Just longer bulb life? Can turning up the brightness setting compensate for putting it into low, or is "high/low" kind of a separate, orthogonal setting from brightness?
post #9948 of 10379 Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligborat View Post

What's the reason to run in low instead of high? Just longer bulb life? Can turning up the brightness setting compensate for putting it into low, or is "high/low" kind of a separate, orthogonal setting from brightness?

Some people do not need all the lumens, so they run in low lamp. Low lamp gets them less noise and longer lamp life. Plus as the lamp dims with age, they can switch to high lamp later on and get back to original brightness.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #9949 of 10379 Old 05-28-2014, 01:34 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecossecableman View Post

well I did it and as soon as I went to HIGH it stopped pulsing, went back to LOW and its no longer pulsing- fingers very firmly crossed:)

I have it from a reliable source that this is a know issue for Sony. I am not sure if even Sony knows why. This small problem is in all Sony projectors after they updated the 3D-mode for more light output a few years ago (when the VW90 was updated to the VW95). Sometimes, only in low lamp/eco mode, there is a slight flicker in the bright areas of the image. If you switch the projector over in high output mode a few second and then back in low again the problem is gone and it might be days or months until the problem returns. Don't worry about it. It is not a broken bulb. I have had the same experience on mine and no problems with the bulb even 500 hours after. For those of you that run the projector in high mode, you will never experience this.
turls and ecossecableman like this.
post #9950 of 10379 Old 05-28-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORLL View Post

I have it from a reliable source that this is a know issue for Sony. I am not sure if even Sony knows why. This small problem is in all Sony projectors after they updated the 3D-mode for more light output a few years ago (when the VW90 was updated to the VW95). Sometimes, only in low lamp/eco mode, there is a slight flicker in the bright areas of the image. If you switch the projector over in high output mode a few second and then back in low again the problem is gone and it might be days or months until the problem returns. Don't worry about it. It is not a broken bulb. I have had the same experience on mine and no problems with the bulb even 500 hours after. For those of you that run the projector in high mode, you will never experience this.

This is not a Sony problem. This is a UHP lamp issue and is the nature of the beast. Do a google search of projector lamp flicker and I bet you will get a hit for nearly every HT projector manufacturer. Here is a good explanation that I copied and pasted:

"UHP lamps are arc lamps rather than filament lamps like we have in our light bulbs at home, so the current has to arc across two electrodes to produce light rather than heat up a filament. Usually the point of least resistance means there is one arc point on each electrode, but sometimes as the arc point wears, another area on the electrode can offer similar resistance so the arc jumps across to there, and then back again, so you get flicker. Putting the lamp on high allows more current to flow and that can make one arc point more conductive (whichever offers least resistance to conductivity) so the lamp flicker goes. As the arc burns in that electrode, the new arc point becomes the point of least resistance so going back to low means the same arc points remain in use."

Also it is more of a problem, if you are running above 20FL, since it is easier to see the brighter you are running your image.

Added:
Not just UHP. Xeon lamps had the same issue. I guess it is really more of a lamp that uses an arc problem.
turls and Andreas21 like this.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #9951 of 10379 Old 06-02-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it the source, mastering, or compression that's resulting in what I consider the inferior quality of the 4K movie content provided so far by Sony? It's obvious from some of the demo material that 4K can look fantastic; much better than blu-ray and what I call the 4K-lite that we're currently getting. If these impressive demos are compressed using H.264, then surely that's not the issue and H.265 mainly saves space, correct?

So, is it that the mastering was not done end-to-end in 4K? Or is it that Sony is still leaving out detail when they provide files that are still under 50 Gb? If it's the later, I fail to understand why they can't provide larger files if it will provide great 4K quality. It's much more important to me that I see/rent/buy movies that look 4K than how much space they take up or how long it takes to download.

I'm just trying to get my head around why the current content looks and sounds inferior to what we could and should be getting if Sony wanted to provide 4K that truly impresses.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

post #9952 of 10379 Old 06-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, the sound is technically inferior as it is not lossless. I haven't gotten to see the Sony material, but I do know they put in into typical Rec.709 so you're not getting the wider DCI color gamut. Also, from what I understand some films looked spectacular but some didn't which I guess could be brought down to the source, how it was transferred, etc. AFAIK cgi is still put into film in 2K so you may be seeing a limitation there.
post #9953 of 10379 Old 06-04-2014, 12:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Some people do not need all the lumens, so they run in low lamp. Low lamp gets them less noise and longer lamp life. Plus as the lamp dims with age, they can switch to high lamp later on and get back to original brightness.

I noticed something in my setup: with a 16:9 image in LOW mode I get roughly the same brightness as a 2:35:1 ZOOM with HIGH mode, ie the HIGH bulb output compensates for the light loss of zooming to 2.35:1

So my setup uses both HIGH and LOW mode dependning on the zoom being used and I get consistent brightness across aspect zooms.

My cinema: The Cave!

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #9954 of 10379 Old 06-04-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post

Well, the sound is technically inferior as it is not lossless. I haven't gotten to see the Sony material, but I do know they put in into typical Rec.709 so you're not getting the wider DCI color gamut. Also, from what I understand some films looked spectacular but some didn't which I guess could be brought down to the source, how it was transferred, etc. AFAIK cgi is still put into film in 2K so you may be seeing a limitation there.

DCI material is not easy to come by. smile.gif

post #9955 of 10379 Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post

While I'd love to have a wider color gamut and bit depth, the projector itself may not even handle them; same goes for the puck, but I'm not sure. What I want at a minimum is the best that the current equipment can produce. Since a lot of the shorts and demo material looks outstanding, my take is that I don't necessarily need more gamut to notice an nice improvement over BD.

My issue is that Sony is not delivering that yet and I'm wondering why and if they ever will. From what I've read and seen, none of the movies look much better than what I call superbit-BD or 4K-lite. Lawrence of Arabia may be the only one that's currently as good as we're ever going to get. My guess is that they're not transferred/mastered in 4K (or whatever the technical term is for end-to-end 4K source [F65, Red], processing, and delivery). Sure, it costs more, but unless it happens 4K is still-born.

Sony needs to live up to their "Seeing is Believing" slogan when it comes to 4K. Right now, I don't believe because I'm not seeing it. I put my faith elsewhere and have none in Sony. Sony needs to SHOW ME.

...Steve

post #9956 of 10379 Old 06-04-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hockey season is almost over and I haven't used my puck in months. At least you are consistent with your schitck.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9957 of 10379 Old 06-04-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 317
mark,

Just as an aside, you talked about how you use the Lumagen Adaptive Contrast setting for watching hockey. I tried it for hockey and could see what you mean. Engaging the AC increased the brilliance of the ice in contrast against the players, which made for a more realistic look (where my projector can otherwise struggle sometimes to produce the kind of brightness that makes hockey look truly convincing).
post #9958 of 10379 Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hockey season is almost over and I haven't used my puck in months. At least you are consistent with your schitck.

Well Mark you have to admit that you are not the typical home theater enthusiast since you mainly watch sports and not movies on your Sony. It'll be years before you ever see broadcasts in 4K or pretty much anything else live. If the puck wasn't included in the upgrade, I doubt you'd have bought one other than out of curiosity or for demo purposes.

On the other hand, I'd use the puck a LOT more if there was actually something to download and watch other than demos that looked 4K. In the meantime, the $300 vouchers just sit waiting for something worthwhile to purchase. frown.gif

Steve

P.S.,
GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Steve

post #9959 of 10379 Old 06-05-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Same for me. I haven't spent a cent of the $300 I got from Sony. Sadly, I haven't used the HT very much either because of my dog who can't get up by herself anymore and needs assistance in walking. So I watch on our 65 inch Panny in our great room. Tomorrow its off to Morgantown PA to get the dog fitted for a cart and then my wife will take the dog back home and I will continue on to NJ/NY for my annual handicapping with friends excursion to JR Cigars in Whippany NJ and then on to Belmont Racetrack for the Belmont on Saturday and Monmouth Racetrack on Sunday on the way home. On Saturday Belmont is having 13 races, 10 of which are stakes, and of those 9 are graded, with six being grade I. Total purses for the day $8.4 million.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9960 of 10379 Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Good luck at the track Mark! I miss being a "horseman" the perks that come with being an owner breeder make just attending meets a let down in some ways.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page