AVS Forum banner
847K views 14K replies 433 participants last post by  Mike Garrett 
#1 ·
 Looks Very Cool.

SONY RAISES THE BAR AT CEDIA 2011 WITH NEW HOME THEATER INNOVATIONS FOR HIGH-END ENTHUSIASTS

4K Home Projector and "Elevated Standard" AV Receivers Launch Alongside U.S. Debuts of True Sony Innovations

INDIANAPOLIS, Sept. 7, 2011 (CEDIA Booth #1803) – Today, in advance of the 2011 CEDIA Expo, Sony Electronics unveiled a variety of ground-breaking products designed to deliver an integrated and immersive home entertainment experience. From audio/video receivers and televisions to speakers and projectors – Sony's CEDIA exhibit runs the gamut from A/V, HD, 3D and beyond.

"We came to CEDIA to reinforce our commitment to being the leading provider of quality entertainment solutions for the high-end and custom install channels," said Mike Abary, senior vice president of Sony Electronics' Home Division. "Sony's Elevated Standard (also known as ES) line and the other new products on display at the show epitomize innovation, quality, and style, and also highlight Sony's legacy in this channel. We're also adding resources to support our leading service programs and working with channel partners to provide dedicated support and training that no other company can match."

Groundbreaking first in home projection

Sony introduced its first home theater front projector capable of displaying stunning 4K images. The top-of-the-line VPL-VW1000ES 4K home theater projector model is specifically designed to meet the needs of custom installers, and its capabilities will deliver entertainment enthusiasts a more immersive, engaging visual experience with over four times the resolution of HDTV.

With 2,000 ANSI-lumens of brightness, the VPL-VW1000ES projector delivers nearly twice the output of previous Sony home theater projectors, making it suitable for screen sizes up to 200 inches diagonally. The VW1000ES model also employs an entirely new SXRD 4K panel, which produces outstanding deep black levels, and when combined with Sony's Iris3 technology, the projector can achieve an incredible 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast.

In addition to supporting 4K native resolution, the VW1000ES projector also features an exclusive 4K "upscaler" that dramatically enhances all content - SD or HD, 2D or 3D - allowing viewers to see 4K playback, even from their existing media libraries. For greater versatility, it can also display Full HD 3D movies, as well as 2D and 3D anamorphic films. For Full 4K 3D, an integrated IR transmitter drives the projector's TDG-PJ1 active shutter 3D glasses.

The VW1000ES projector offers a variety of installations options, including dual triggers, a 2.1 motorized zoom, expanded throw distances, an RS232 interface, control over IP and compatibility with leading home automation systems.

The introduction of the VPL-VW1000ES complements Sony's full line of home theater front projectors. Introduced earlier this summer, the VPL-HW30AES 3D front projector for the home has been critically acclaimed as an impressive step forward in performance in its class, packing a punch beyond its accessible price of just $3,699.99. Last week, the VPL-VW95ES home theater front projector, debuted at IFA in Germany. This mid-level home projector joins Sony's expansive range of SXRD projectors, and offers another option for cinemaphiles outfitting high-tech theater rooms.

See less See more
#8,441 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang  /t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/8430#post_24313848

No way I would not see that. Sony would have been introduced to a whole new level of me.

It's like Chinese water torture.

You got lucky then. The engineers made it sound like it was a blanket issue, but maybe there was a "silent revision" with the VW1000 version 2 that rolled out midway through the product cycle.

All the VW1000's I've seen exhibit this problem, usually from 1-2 dropped frames per 2-hour feature film but up to as many as 4-5. Once you know it's there, it's annoying as hell.

#8,442 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness  /t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/8430#post_24313859

You got lucky then. The engineers made it sound like it was a blanket issue, but maybe there was a "silent revision" with the VW1000 version 2 that rolled out midway through the product cycle.

All the VW1000's I've seen exhibit this problem, usually from 1-2 dropped frames per 2-hour feature film but up to as many as 4-5. Once you know it's there, it's annoying as hell.

It sounds like you're describing some manifestation different than classic frame rate mismatch which should show a dropped frame every several minutes I think.

There were several firmware revisions for the 1000 along the way. As time went on, there were cartons tagged ES2 and ES3, but these were described as ways to distinguish new packaging or shipping origin I think. Perhaps there was more to it. I ended up with an ES2 many months before the 1100 upgrade.

#8,445 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang  /t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/8430#post_24313845

I don't know your setup Mark, but can you temporarily connect your blu ray player directly to the 1000 with a 6 foor hdmi and test?

This is Blu-ray Discs your talking about? Not rips/encodes, or broadcast sources?

Yes, blu-rays.

I can certainly isolate things but, from what fugeness is saying, it's an acknowledged problem and I'm unlucky enough to have noticed it, so there seems little point in bothering.

Hardware:

Sony BDP 550->Meridian 621->Lumagen 2042->Sony vw1000es.

I have various spare players etc I can check with too.

#8,446 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H  /t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/8430#post_24314073

Yes, blu-rays.

I can certainly isolate things but, from what fugeness is saying, it's an acknowledged problem and I'm unlucky enough to have noticed it, so there seems little point in bothering.

Hardware:

Sony BDP 550->Meridian 621->Lumagen 2042->Sony vw1000es.

I have various spare players etc I can check with too.

Well, If it were me, I definitely would try...I don't think it is confirmed as a widespread issue. Double check all video settings in the 550, and connect it directly to the 1000.

#8,447 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21  /t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/8400_50#post_24313794

One frame out of 24, I am qiute sure I would notice that, but of course I can´t be 100% sure. I can easy see Tyler Durden in Fight Club when David Fincher added a frame of him in different places in the movie, so I guess I would notice framedrops several times during a movie.

But what you didn't know is that Tyler Durden has been in one frame of EVERY film made since then. Am I the only one who can see that????

But I have never noticed dropped frames due to the Sony.

#8,449 ·
Every once and a while I would see a studier in motion when watching Jay Leno while the camera pans left to right.

Thought it was the network or Directv.

Have seen it happen while watching other programs also.

Never considered that it might be the projector doing it, that's why I never posted about it.

Perhaps that's why no one has brought this up here.

I wonder how wide spread this is, so if all of you out there have seen this issue, post about it to get the message to Sony.

#8,450 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT  /t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/8430#post_24314981

Every once and a while I would see a studier in motion when watching Jay Leno while the camera pans left to right.

Thought it was the network or Directv.

Have seen it happen while watching other programs also.

Never considered that it might be the projector doing it, that's why I never posted about it.

Perhaps that's why no one has brought this up here.

I wonder how wide spread this is, so if all of you out there have seen this issue, post about it to get the message to Sony.

Turn off Film Mode it its on and watch again...

Frame Interpolation on, even Low, can cause that to appear. That's a known artifact.

If it were systemic I think you'd see it on all content.

I got the feeling Mark H is talking about Blu Ray content encoded 23.976, not broadcast.

#8,451 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness  /t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/8400_100#post_24313757

According to Sony engineers this has been an issue since day one. The 1100 upgrade fixes it. Not everyone notices it. Something like 1 out of 20 people will see the dropped frames.

I have a 1000ES2 with fairly recent firmware based on what's been reported here. I've noticed this once, maybe twice per BD when watching movies, but not sure if it's all the time. It's annoying, but not something that I've worried about. Nearly all of my viewing is via upscaled 4028x2160@24p from my HTPC and NAS and I was attributing it to that and not the Sony. I'll try to see if it happens when I watch a BD from my Oppo -> Lumagen XS3D -> Sony 1000.

I sure hope it's fixed during the upgrade to the 1100ES if it's the Sony.

#8,452 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw  /t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/8430#post_24316161

I have a 1000ES2 with fairly recent firmware based on what's been reported here. I've noticed this once, maybe twice per BD when watching movies, but not sure if it's all the time. It's annoying, but not something that I've worried about. Nearly all of my viewing is via upscaled 4028x2160@24p from my HTPC and NAS and I was attributing it to that and not the Sony. I'll try to see if it happens when I watch a BD from my Oppo -> Lumagen XS3D -> Sony 1000.

Will be interesting to hear - after two PCs and four video cards, HTPCs can be finicky with consistent frame rates.

#8,454 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw  /t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/8430#post_24316161

I cant see it , not on the 1000 and not on the 1100

dj

#8,455 ·
What's the current facts on these Sony upgrade installs--in-home or not and when? I put off a calibration appointment because I don't even have a kit on order (which is fine)...but somebody within 2 hours of me (not a major metro area) had it done a month ago. I don't think it is anybody in this thread, so I'm wondering if it is a lot more than Mark/AVS is being told.

Let's put it this way if they are at the location 2 hours from me, they should be able to do this about anywhere. Unless Sony traveled from Chicago, which I doubt. This is assuming the Sony techs are doing these and not a rogue dealer in their shop. I have no idea which it was.

The more these installs get spread out, the more of a raw deal the ones on the end may get. Or it may be the other way around. Or neither.

Just seems like reality isn't jiving with the consensus here.

#8,456 ·
Turls. I am sure that Mike G will report the latest when he has it.

We know Sony hired a contractor to do the upgrades. we suspect that the contractor will be hiring subs to do the work in areas not close to it. We suspect the contractor will in order to push customers to bring their projector to a dealer will give priority to such upgrades. We just don't know much more. Until your dealer gets a kit in for you, you are in never never land at this point. I am sure there will be more news shortly.

#8,458 ·
They sold off their Vaio division also

But the projector issue is one atom in a butt hair for Sony....something more pedestrian (ie, poor planning of the implementation peice) is my 100% guess...

#8,460 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT  /t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/8430#post_24321578

I heard on the news this morning that Sony has spun off their Television division.

Wonder if these changes that is going on there is delaying the roll out of the upgrade of our 1000's.

They spun off their computer division and are setting up their TV division as a wholly owned subsidiary. it had nothing to do with the delay. Sony has not shipped many of the kits to any dealer as of yet. thrang is right. they only recently decided to do it through and independent contractor. Who I am reasonably sure will hire subcontractors.

#8,462 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT  /t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/8430#post_24321578

I heard on the news this morning that Sony has spun off their Television division.

Wonder if these changes that is going on there is delaying the roll out of the upgrade of our 1000's.

Hopefully it's a positive for us and they keep an interest in the consumer projection sector. I would say it will become a more focused and efficient division when it's spun off. As long as it doesn't become over efficient and decide consumer projectors aren't worth producing..

#8,464 ·
Is the projector division part of the TV division? Sony Professional has their own projectors, some cousins of the consumer line, and some stand along business--only models, as well as professional applications for flat panel display.

So is the spinoff for the consumer only division, and I wonder where the 4k projectors fall in the split, given their pro lineage...(if I understand the background correctly...)

I've not had the time to google more on this ...

#8,465 ·
A contractor's subcontractor...EEK,
I have a vision of a guy driving up in a old beat up Ford Econoline van, with a hammer and screwdriver in hand ready to hack on my projector with a half day training class on how to botch the

process of downloading and uploading the firmware, Oh lord...

I was ok with the Sony tech coming out, but a freshly trained person that most likely knows nothing about Sony projectors trained to "Type this" to download firmware to his laptop, take out these screws, remove board, put new board in and go through all of those steps to integrate the old firmware with the new version and upload it and get it right.

With my luck, I would be his first job.

If Sony had written s bat file or script to do all of the downloading and uploading of the files with minimal interaction from the tech, I would feel better about it, but the way I saw the process on youtube, there are multiple opportunity's to brick the projector.

Perhaps I will just hold on to the upgrade kit and give it a few months before I schedule the appointment for the install...