Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 338 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10111 of 10124 Old 07-11-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Good to know. The place I ordered from didn't carry anything shorter than the 60 footer, so that is what I got. They were $100 cheaper than what Celerity wants for the 30 footer from their site, though, and could ship immediately. I should have it tomorrow. Plus if I ever move to a projector in a booth behind my current room, I will have plenty of cable length to get there without buying something else. Again, assuming this fixes the noise issue. Back it goes if it doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10112 of 10124 Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
FYI

You can save some dollars by ordering the new Sony FMP-X10 from Amazon instead of Sony.
They are offering the same preorder discount
If you have Amazon Prime the shipping is free and no sales tax
post #10113 of 10124 Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
FYI

You can save some dollars by ordering the new Sony FMP-X10 from Amazon instead of Sony.
They are offering the same preorder discount
If you have Amazon Prime the shipping is free and no sales tax
Amazon does collect sales tax now, at least in certain jurisdictions...
post #10114 of 10124 Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
In my case I saved the sales tax. Almost $50.00
post #10115 of 10124 Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
If the "store" you buy from has an outlet in your State you will be charged sales tax. If they don't you will not pay sales tax.

For orders that come from Amazon LLC I am charged sales tax now too, perhaps because they have a fulfillment center in my State?

David Ferebee
post #10116 of 10124 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodol View Post
If the "store" you buy from has an outlet in your State you will be charged sales tax. If they don't you will not pay sales tax.

For orders that come from Amazon LLC I am charged sales tax now too, perhaps because they have a fulfillment center in my State?
I did not know that different locations were charged differently

Sony FMPX10 4K Ultra HD Media Player (Exclusively compatible with Sony 4K Ultra HD TVs)

Electronics
Sold by Axxxxx.com LLC

Item Subtotal: $498.00
Shipping & Handling: $0.00

Total Before Tax: $498.00

Order Total: $498.00
post #10117 of 10124 Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
I did not know that different locations were charged differently

Sony FMPX10 4K Ultra HD Media Player (Exclusively compatible with Sony 4K Ultra HD TVs)

Electronics
Sold by Axxxxx.com LLC

Item Subtotal: $498.00
Shipping & Handling: $0.00

Total Before Tax: $498.00

Order Total: $498.00
More and more states are striking deals with major online retailers to collect state sales tax - NJ has for over a year, I think NY as well...not sure where else...but the tax benefit of online purchasing will continue to diminish I think.

As noted, the it's a third party seller on amazon, they are not compelled to collect the state tax unless they operate in that state
post #10118 of 10124 Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Hifiaudio2,

Celerity optical hdmi works fine...a friend has it on a Sony 95es/Integra processor. Other than one of the hdmi end connectors needing to be replaced, it has performed well. As you know, since it is optical, it should break the ground loop.
It should? It will unless there other other electrical connections causing the ground loop.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #10119 of 10124 Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It "should" if the loop was solely isolated to the hdmi cable, first without then with all other connections made. If not, and the loop is caused by electrical connections or other signal connections, then it will remain. I thought the description was pointing the loop solely to the hdmi. I had to track down a ground loop in my theater and it was a real pain to isolate. After process and elimination, it ended up being a defective amp...so you never know.

Last edited by G-Rex; Yesterday at 03:31 PM.
post #10120 of 10124 Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
That's one of the drawbacks to MadVR scaling. It's very demanding. My GTX 690 definitely ramps up quite a bit when it does the scaling to 4K. I think you definitely need an expensive graphics card to use JINC and NNEDI3 scaling. The cost of a PC needed to do this costs almost as much as a Lumagen, but there's a ton of other functionality the PC has. It helps justify the high cost a bit more. Though, fan noise becomes quite a bit louder from my GPU. I haven't taken a peek at the GPU percent usage MadVR is utilizing, but I think I will tonight. I may upgrade with nvidia releases it's 8xx line of GPUs if it means quieter performance when it's under a load.
Everything with MadVR was looking pretty easily until NNEDI3 came along. But now suddenly GFX cards are being made to sweat with the new upscaling algorithms. I had contemplated moving back to Nvidia for HTPC, but I've heard around the traps in other threads here that the Radeons are a tad better at running OpenCL which NNEDI3 uses. The nuisance being AMD don't have a 60Hz 4K output solution like Nvidia have developed. If you're buying an off the shelf PC and speccing it maybe you'd get to the cost of a Lumagen, but there's no way my Shuttle XPC or Silverstone/MSI/Devils Canyon i5 based mini-itx PC will owe me anything like say a Lumagen 2143, even if I were to put say a GTX Titan in one to handle processing duties.

post #10121 of 10124 Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Everything with MadVR was looking pretty easily until NNEDI3 came along. But now suddenly GFX cards are being made to sweat with the new upscaling algorithms. I had contemplated moving back to Nvidia for HTPC, but I've heard around the traps in other threads here that the Radeons are a tad better at running OpenCL which NNEDI3 uses. The nuisance being AMD don't have a 60Hz 4K output solution like Nvidia have developed. If you're buying an off the shelf PC and speccing it maybe you'd get to the cost of a Lumagen, but there's no way my Shuttle XPC or Silverstone/MSI/Devils Canyon i5 based mini-itx PC will owe me anything like say a Lumagen 2143, even if I were to put say a GTX Titan in one to handle processing duties.
How much does a 2143 cost? I just went on newegg and put together a pretty typical mini-itx "gaming" grade PC powerful enough for MadVR duties. This includes an Intel 4770K, nvidia GTX Titan black (though you could go a little cheaper), 16GB of RAM, Silverstone Mini-ITX case, 650 watt modular PSU, 120GB SSD for your OS, a 2TB harddrive, a mini-ITX motherboard, and bluray drive. It costs roughly $2100. You make it sound as if the lumagen is way more expensive than this. If that's the case, I don't understand why anyone would buy one especially when the functionality and feature set of the PC is miles higher than something like a lumagen. Arguably the single greatest feature the Lumagen has is the color management/calibration suite, but there are options on the PC as well albeit less refined. If you were to have a bunch of harddrives attached to your PC, load your bluray collection onto it, utilize front end software like XBMC or JRiver you can have a Kaleidescape-like experience with all the benefits a modern PC media media player has like MadVR rendering and upscaling, FFDShow and LAVs video and audio decoders, the option in the media player to tweak everything to the nth degree all in the form factor of the size of a shoebox. I just think it's amazing that you can do almost everything home theater enthusiasts need on the modern PC. Lumagen knows there is still a crowd out there that think "PC's are difficult to set up" or "PC's are faulty" or "PCs are unstable" which is a total misconception. Reliability and stability issues are a thing of the past and if you can understand how to set up a Lumagen properly then you can definitely set up something like MadVR and the media player using it. I think anyone buying the Lumagen for the sole purpose of scaling should really reconsider. I understand completely that the calibration suite for some is worth the Lumagen's weight in gold and if that's the reason you're buying it, then more power to you. I just think for everything else, there are far cheaper, and in some cases, better options out there on a PC.

---------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 07:51 PM.
post #10122 of 10124 Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
How much does a 2143 cost? I just went on newegg and put together a pretty typical mini-itx "gaming" grade PC powerful enough for MadVR duties. This includes an Intel 4770K, nvidia GTX Titan black (though you could go a little cheaper), 16GB of RAM, Silverstone Mini-ITX case, 650 watt modular PSU, 120GB SSD for your OS, a 2TB harddrive, a mini-ITX motherboard, and bluray drive. It costs roughly $2200. You make it sound as if the lumagen is way more expensive than this. If that's the case, I don't understand why anyone would buy one especially when the functionality and feature set of the PC is miles higher than something like a lumagen. Arguably the single greatest feature the Lumagen has is the color management/calibration suite, but there are options on the PC as well albeit less refined. If you were to have a bunch of harddrives attached to your PC, load your bluray collection onto it, utilize front end software like XBMC or JRiver you can have a Kaleidescape-like experience with all the benefits a modern PC media media player has like MadVR rendering and upscaling, FFDShow and LAVs video and audio decoders, the option in the media player to tweak everything to the nth degree all in the form factor of the size of a shoebox. I just think it's amazing that you can do almost everything home theater enthusiasts need on the modern PC. Lumagen knows there is still a crowd out there that think "PC's are difficult to set up" or "PC's are faulty" or "PCs are unstable" which is a total misconception. Reliability and stability issues are a thing of the past and if you can understand how to set up a Lumagen properly then you can definitely set up something like MadVR and the media player using it.
The 2143 retails for $3195 at the moment. So literally the PC setup is $1000 less by using what you just specced up on NewEgg. I think there is a market though, not forgetting that it's a lot easier to plug and play a Lumagen for any source upscaling you want, encrypted PayTV for example. I am still considering that I'll probably end up with one eventually myself. For now though, considering the masses of 720p and 1080p content which I view via HTPC on a daily basis, it's no brainer to have a trick MadVR set up running, which will only get better when I finally move it full-time 4K output.

Last edited by OzHDHT; Yesterday at 09:14 PM.
post #10123 of 10124 Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I suppose I'm looking at the situation from the viewpoint of how I view media. I view everything from my PC. So for someone who's been using a blu-ray player and only standalone devices for the last 6+ years I can see making the jump from "plug and play" to "I have to set a few things up/not quite as convenient" as a bit of a problem. Also, this specific thread, who's comprised of people who can afford a $25000 projector probably isn't the best place for my soapbox and I'm sure I'll get some backlash for my comments. I'm only 25 so that puts me at a big disadvantage to most of the folks posting in this thread who don't necessarily conform to my financial situation. I'm just out of college with about 2 years at my first "real" job and making some decent cash, but not enough to buy something like the 1000ES brand-new. I say this because it's the reason I value my PC so much. I get so much functionality and value from it at the expense of "plug and play". For me, right now at least, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of my time to set things up if that means I can get on-par processing performance compared to the lumagen. For others (in this thread especially) who have the extra cash I completely understand that they value the convenience of plug and play just as much as I value the the slightly more tedious cheaper method. That's a totally legitimate stance.

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 10:04 PM.
post #10124 of 10124 Old Today, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How much does a 2143 cost? I just went on newegg and put together a pretty typical mini-itx "gaming" grade PC powerful enough for MadVR duties. This includes an Intel 4770K, nvidia GTX Titan black (though you could go a little cheaper), 16GB of RAM, Silverstone Mini-ITX case, 650 watt modular PSU, 120GB SSD for your OS, a 2TB harddrive, a mini-ITX motherboard, and bluray drive. It costs roughly $2100. You make it sound as if the lumagen is way more expensive than this. If that's the case, I don't understand why anyone would buy one especially when the functionality and feature set of the PC is miles higher than something like a lumagen. Arguably the single greatest feature the Lumagen has is the color management/calibration suite, but there are options on the PC as well albeit less refined. If you were to have a bunch of harddrives attached to your PC, load your bluray collection onto it, utilize front end software like XBMC or JRiver you can have a Kaleidescape-like experience with all the benefits a modern PC media media player has like MadVR rendering and upscaling, FFDShow and LAVs video and audio decoders, the option in the media player to tweak everything to the nth degree all in the form factor of the size of a shoebox. I just think it's amazing that you can do almost everything home theater enthusiasts need on the modern PC. Lumagen knows there is still a crowd out there that think "PC's are difficult to set up" or "PC's are faulty" or "PCs are unstable" which is a total misconception. Reliability and stability issues are a thing of the past and if you can understand how to set up a Lumagen properly then you can definitely set up something like MadVR and the media player using it. I think anyone buying the Lumagen for the sole purpose of scaling should really reconsider. I understand completely that the calibration suite for some is worth the Lumagen's weight in gold and if that's the reason you're buying it, then more power to you. I just think for everything else, there are far cheaper, and in some cases, better options out there on a PC.
Oh how I wish this were true for me and others I know...I have found Windows in general and Media PC's specifically to be a continually unreliable and frustrating platform, and you feel like an IT tech support person more than an av enthusiast after a while. Two fellow hobbyists I know came to the same conclusion and ditched their PC's except for ripping.

I'm guessing very few people are watching content solely from a PC, so a Lumagen offers far more flexibility. I have about six sources (three funnel through a matrix switch, so only occupying one Lumagen input)

I've looked at the pc based scalers, and they are definitely more complicated than using a Lumagen. And with the autocal feature of Chromapure, it's become extremely easy to recalibrate every few hundred hours if I wish to compensate for the aging lamp in the 1100, in 10-30 minute depending upon how fine of a calibration I want.

For me, the best scenario is to use Anydvd to rip to a Synology server, use MyMovies to catalog and tag everything, and rely on the Dune Smart players (full BD menu support) for playback and easy search and control through the MyMovies iPad app. No 3d, but frankly, I haven't watched 3d in several months, a have largely given up on the format. I think it's dying a slow death.

A fellow 1100 owner came by a few days ago and saw some Directv content fed thought the Lumagen - he was rather taken aback how good the image looked compared to his setup at home.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page