post #10141 of 10365 Old 07-14-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post
It was a question to the reality of the video. Most of the processes (guides) I see are pages upon pages and my attempts never felt that simple (when I tried). Madvr did not seem to have a way to update minus removing and reinstalling. I could never understand the profiles/ levels concept. If something requires scripting for config it's way too much for me. I prefer plug and play. However, if it's as easy as what you show it's a wonder more don't use it.

I have never updated my lumagen but it does require a download and upload to the device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - mariob33
Yup, that's honestly all you have to do. You'll get scaling on par with a lumagen. There's actually a thread somewhere in the forum that shows off how well it scales images.

MPC-HC as a media player has a lot more options to change things around if you want to, but "out of the box" it's setup to playback blu-ray perfectly. It's a very open ended media player so if you wanted to use a specific video or audio decoder you can. But out of the box it's set up so that it uses LAV's video and audio decoder which are regarded as the best of the best out there so there's really no need to change anything unless there's some specific decoder you want to use. For instance, FFDShow audio and video decoder is an awesome alternative to use because it has a plethora of post-processing features (sharpening filters, debanding filters, de-noise filters, ect and the audio decoder has a TON of post-processing and mixing features too) whereas LAV is more straightforward and vanilla. The software is free so if you have a PC powerful enough to handle the scaling MadVR requires I'd at least give it a try. You don't need a top of the line $1000 graphics card. I would image most current generation mid range ~$300 graphics cards are powerful enough for the MadVR's JINC scaling algorithm to scale bluray to 4K resolution.

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10142 of 10365 Old 07-15-2014, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 105
There is a much easier way to install MadVR along with MPC-HC and all the needed codecs. It allows the user to specify how powerful the PC is and sets up all options accordingly. KCP was originally designed to play 10bit anime, but it's great for standard movies.

Here you go: http://haruhichan.com/forum/showthre...aii-Codec-Pack

Stick to the stable version, it's updated every month or so.

It's literally click and install, all options set up for you. Much better than any of the other codec packs (like CCCP and Shark007) because it's set up for maximum quality and integrates Mad-VR.

You should note that MPC-HC at this stage doesn't handle full BD Menus or 3D Blurays. To do this you need a commercial player like TMT or PowerDVD, and these don't handle MadVR (yet).

Also MadVR handles eecolor 3D LUTs which means it can replace a LUT holder and provide great results for calibration (on par with the physical eecolor). You will need Calman/Lightspace or ArgyllCMS/DispcalGUI to generate the LUT though, so a bit more involved.

Last edited by Manni01; 07-15-2014 at 01:27 AM.
post #10143 of 10365 Old 07-15-2014, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 271
The lack of 3D support in MPC-HC is what keeps me from using it full time, hopefully that changes somewhere down the road.

my setup at home is straight forward and reliable. Dell Optiplex workstation with a quad ceton tuning card handles Verizon FIOS and streams to Ceton Echo's and Xbox 360's all over the house. File storage is a 20+ TB hardware raid that streams to Mede8ter 1000's. Family friendly jukebox style, easy enough for children to use. It handles 3D Bluray's like a champ. No BD menus but that's fine, all we want to do is watch the movie.

since this is the Sony VW1100 thread, i'll mention that I prefer the MadVR scaling to 4K vs. the lumagen. relatively close but I think MadVR has an edge.
post #10144 of 10365 Old 07-15-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The lack of 3D support in MPC-HC is what keeps me from using it full time, hopefully that changes somewhere down the road.

my setup at home is straight forward and reliable. Dell Optiplex workstation with a quad ceton tuning card handles Verizon FIOS and streams to Ceton Echo's and Xbox 360's all over the house. File storage is a 20+ TB hardware raid that streams to Mede8ter 1000's. Family friendly jukebox style, easy enough for children to use. It handles 3D Bluray's like a champ. No BD menus but that's fine, all we want to do is watch the movie.

since this is the Sony VW1100 thread, i'll mention that I prefer the MadVR scaling to 4K vs. the lumagen. relatively close but I think MadVR has an edge.
Do you have a 4K out Lumagen and if so which one?. Are you basing your evaluation on 4K 24 and/or 60 out of the Lumagen. 60 is still being refined in the very newest Lumagen models. If one has say a mini or a non 4K bigger lumagen, one is still using the inferior Sony scaling.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #10145 of 10365 Old 07-15-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

mark, hi, I have a 2041 and was only looking at 4K 24 scaling using familiar content. The MadVR scaling is impressive imo.

this is just my impression/preference, we know different folks will see different things in these tests.
post #10146 of 10365 Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Zombie what do you do about forced subtitles? I quit using the Mede8er and went back to my Dune because even when forced subs worked on the Mede8er, the first ones at a minimum would be cut off. Have they fixed that? Mine has been sitting idle for months now.
post #10147 of 10365 Old 07-15-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

good question on the sub-titles, I rarely use them so i'm not certain if it's been fixed.

If I want full BD menus + subs, sometimes I dust off my popcorn hour C200.
post #10148 of 10365 Old 07-15-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I don't ever want regular subs, just the forced ones.
post #10149 of 10365 Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way I did get that Celerity 60 ft HDMI cable. Good news and bad news. The bad news is that prior to getting the cable I continued my troubleshooting and could not reliably recreate the issue of the hiss/hum being present ONLY when the HDMI cable was connected from the processor to the projector. This noise has been a real bear to track down.

The good news is that the cable performs flawlessly and seems like a good piece of gear. It is almost impossibly thin.. thinner than an iPad charging cable and almost flat. Since what I bought is way too long (was the shortest the place I bought it from had, plus cheaper than anywhere else sells shorter ones for), I have the excess still coiled on the cable reel that it came on. But it was easy to route and at least now I know that no interference or noise can travel on that line. Picture looks identical, as it should, except for settings. I did go ahead and connect it to HDMI 2 so a few of the settings were at default.
post #10150 of 10365 Old 07-15-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your insight Zombie. Nice to hear you prefer MadVR's scaling. That seems like such a major feat considering it's freeware. I'm sure that'll save me (and possibly some others) some money down the road when I'd be able to afford such premium products. It seems like between MadVR and FFDSHow we can get almost all of the functionality the lumagen has with the prerequisite you have a PC powerful enough to scale to 4K. Granted I think that can be done with a ~$1000 PC. Now that nvidia cards can output 4K60 via the HDMI 1.4 ports (limited to 4:2:0) I'm wondering if you've played around with any higher frame rate material or played some games at 4K yet on your upgraded 1000ES?

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-15-2014 at 07:45 PM.
post #10151 of 10365 Old 07-15-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Well the FMP-X10 is in stock. Just wish they would have newer titles quicker. I sent them an email asking. Waiting for a response.

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #10152 of 10365 Old 07-15-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Well the FMP-X10 is in stock. Just wish they would have newer titles quicker. I sent them an email asking. Waiting for a response.
That's through Sony directly right? I notice both Amazon and BH Photo (where I preordered) are still awaiting stock. BH Photo says expected the 28th, 2 days before I go away for 2 weeks

post #10153 of 10365 Old 07-15-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
That's through Sony directly right? I notice both Amazon and BH Photo (where I preordered) are still awaiting stock. BH Photo says expected the 28th, 2 days before I go away for 2 weeks
Yes, Sony usually gets them in stock first to help with "home field advantage." Expect other on average to be a week behind. Of course every once in awhile a product ends up being only a day or two behind...

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

post #10154 of 10365 Old 07-16-2014, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Yes, Sony usually gets them in stock first to help with "home field advantage." Expect other on average to be a week behind. Of course every once in awhile a product ends up being only a day or two behind...
That's what I figured. I nearly went and ordered from Sony, but it was slightly hard to get a unit from them forwarded to me as opposed to via BH Photo. I'm hoping that BH and Amazon's expected availability is conservative so there's at least as reasonable chance for me to land one before I take off for 2 weeks..

post #10155 of 10365 Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I was on the fence on this upgrade and decided to hold until I hear more about the 4K Netflix streaming. I'm not interested in either breaking bad or house of cards. Is the Sony content going to look any different?
post #10156 of 10365 Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I was on the fence on this upgrade and decided to hold until I hear more about the 4K Netflix streaming. I'm not interested in either breaking bad or house of cards. Is the Sony content going to look any different?
I have been on and off the fence a lot lately. I finally decided why not since I am planning a 4K TV for the family room eventually. I figure the puck and the brick can both be used. I almost sold my puck two weeks ago but backed out when the buyer asked for my free vouchers to go with it and the tablet. He was already getting a couple free movies on the puck and I was throwing in the tablet all for a great price. Now I am glad he was a cheap pain in the ass!

Anyway, all signs point to the same image but I will A/B them very soon.

post #10157 of 10365 Old 07-16-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Thanks for your insight Zombie. Nice to hear you prefer MadVR's scaling. That seems like such a major feat considering it's freeware. I'm sure that'll save me (and possibly some others) some money down the road when I'd be able to afford such premium products. It seems like between MadVR and FFDSHow we can get almost all of the functionality the lumagen has with the prerequisite you have a PC powerful enough to scale to 4K. Granted I think that can be done with a ~$1000 PC. Now that nvidia cards can output 4K60 via the HDMI 1.4 ports (limited to 4:2:0) I'm wondering if you've played around with any higher frame rate material or played some games at 4K yet on your upgraded 1000ES?
Will a computer be able to do 4K vertical stretch for an A-lens?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #10158 of 10365 Old 07-16-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Will a computer be able to do 4K vertical stretch for an A-lens?
I do it all the time when sending a 4K output to my X500. MadVR takes care of that too. It's an option you choose in the media player but MadVR does the stretch.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-16-2014 at 10:19 AM.
post #10159 of 10365 Old 07-16-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have been on and off the fence a lot lately. I finally decided why not since I am planning a 4K TV for the family room eventually. I figure the puck and the brick can both be used. I almost sold my puck two weeks ago but backed out when the buyer asked for my free vouchers to go with it and the tablet. He was already getting a couple free movies on the puck and I was throwing in the tablet all for a great price. Now I am glad he was a cheap pain in the ass!

Anyway, all signs point to the same image but I will A/B them very soon.
if they would have upgraded the sound to full HD on the downloads, it would have been more tempting to update.

On a movie like Spiderman2, I might consider watching the 3D BD version with the HD track vs. the 4K DD+.

Or both to see how they compare.
post #10160 of 10365 Old 07-16-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The brick and the puck are basically the same video and audio wise. The content library is the same for both except for streaming. Most who have a puck haven't used it in eons and have spent very little of their free Sony content bucks to purchase any of the movies offered for sale. You will quickly grow tired of the brick/puck until the content library increases. For newbies your pre arrival excitement will be a lot higher than your joy in using it at this point in time, the short stuff shot in 4K will hold your interest for a few hours. Its good but so is high quality Bluray nature stuff etc upscaled by the Sony. The projector is the joy.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com

Last edited by mark haflich; 07-19-2014 at 05:59 AM.
post #10161 of 10365 Old 07-18-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
The brick and the puck are basically the same video and audio wise. The content library is the same for both except for streaming. Most who have a puck haven't used it in eons and have spent very little of their free Sony content bucks to purchase any of the movies offered for sale. You will quickly grow tired of the brick/puck until the content library increases. For newbies you pre arrival excitement will be a lot higher than your joy in using it at this point in time, the short stuff shot in 4K will hold your interest for a few hours. Its good but so is high quality Bluray nature stuff etc upscaled by the Sony. The projector is the joy.
Bingo! Mark nailed it. Video is the exact same....

Oh and audio too!!!

post #10162 of 10365 Old 07-19-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Beginning carpentry 101 with no actual physical A/B necessary. Its like reviewing the same eggs from a farm except for different packaging and getting 50% less eggs (1TB instead of 2TB). Its easier to open the new package, no tablet needed.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #10163 of 10365 Old 07-19-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Bingo! Mark nailed it. Video is the exact same....

Oh and audio too!!!
You didn't expect any different did you?

Only differences are Netflix 4k streaming, no tablet, and future firmware to support files of the FDR-AX100 4k camcorder.
post #10164 of 10365 Old 07-19-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
You didn't expect any different did you?

Only differences are Netflix 4k streaming, no tablet, and future firmware to support files of the FDR-AX100 4k camcorder.
No, not really. Until we check there is always that glimmer of hope that maybe at least the audio would be improved....

I may just return it... 4K streaming experiment officially over.

post #10165 of 10365 Old 07-19-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What in the specs gave you a glimmer?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #10166 of 10365 Old 07-19-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
What in the specs gave you a glimmer?
Well I as well as a few others also had a glimmer of hope for a slightly better image as well. That was with the marketing (at least for me) of their TRILUMINOS color support. Oh well....

Oh and I guess the glimmer came mainly due to it being a newer model.

post #10167 of 10365 Old 07-19-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I was really hoping that Thrang was going to do some PS on the brick....

my personal favorite:

post #10168 of 10365 Old 07-19-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Well I as well as a few others also had a glimmer of hope for a slightly better image as well. That was with the marketing (at least for me) of their TRILUMINOS color support. Oh well....

Oh and I guess the glimmer came mainly due to it being a newer model.
If you are going to keep one of these POS 4k servers, why not the X10? At least it has Netflix support, and its own GUI so you can ditch the tablet...Im supposing this is what I will do..

Can you post some shots of the interface?
post #10169 of 10365 Old 07-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
The brick and the puck are basically the same video and audio wise. The content library is the same for both except for streaming. Most who have a puck haven't used it in eons and have spent very little of their free Sony content bucks to purchase any of the movies offered for sale. You will quickly grow tired of the brick/puck until the content library increases. For newbies your pre arrival excitement will be a lot higher than your joy in using it at this point in time, the short stuff shot in 4K will hold your interest for a few hours. Its good but so is high quality Bluray nature stuff etc upscaled by the Sony. The projector is the joy.
So the X10 Brick is the same as the Puck except for streaming?
Must be a Puck circuit board inside the Brick with a mod for streaming...
But no point in streaming video if the FCC goes thru with ending net neutrality, we're pretty much screwed. Internet access will be so damn expensive that nobody will be able to afford it.
Then eCommerce will go in the tank, loss of jobs, etc due to that. Taxes on eCommerce will be commonplace, so forget about streaming video.

Guess Sony is now working on the X20 now to upgrade the audio.
Wonder what the X30 will improve?
Guess Sony couldn't make a Brick with all the upgraded features at once. So they will just release several more Bricks until they get it right..
Guess Sony's marketing staff is working hard to keep their monthly sales numbers up!
I'll just wait for the 4K Blu-Ray.
Then I don't have to deal with the internet and provider costs.
att only gives you so much download megs a month, then they start charging.
Oh well, I'll just enjoy the Great picture that the 1100 delivers for now.
I hope that Oppo is working on a 4K Blu-Ray player now.
post #10170 of 10365 Old 07-19-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The issue is the net bucks it will cost you to err upgrade from the puck to the brick. There just doesn't seem to be any point in doing so. In 18 months there will be an improved brick. If one is buying a new projector or display and doesn't already own a puck and the deal is good enough, then you with an increased content library would probably want to buy it. without a 4K bluray standard design of a 4k bluray player seems specious at best until full bandwidth 2.0 chips with HDCP 2.2 would be casing rainbows for no reason. Oppo has a loyal following and time of product entry will cost them littlke if any sales.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page