Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 345 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10321 of 10328 Old 08-15-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm thankful that I didn't get into the HT game until the year that the JVC RS1 came out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10322 of 10328 Old 08-15-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Back in those days I couldn't afford one of those but i remember them well.

In college, I was once student manager of our closed circuit TV station which was used for broadcasts of certain professor's classes to multiple class rooms and we purchased a few projection TVs, used on lrge screens, quite expensive but I don't remember the manufacturers.

When I started Soundworks in 1983, we use to sell the Zenith 7 inch tube FP TVs. Three tubes and the Ampros. Sam Runco's first FP was a slightly modifies 7 inch Zenith. Rebranding of that set was common with very minor modifications. The original sets had very few geometrical controls. At the end there were lots of pots to turn on a convergence board, a long time ago.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; 08-16-2014 at 05:40 AM.
post #10323 of 10328 Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
They had one at the Hay Adams hotel in Washington DC--- in the main bar room. I worked there over the summer and it produced a picture that was at best washed out in the late evening.

BTW: Mark...I really feel old now. Those were some interesting days.
post #10324 of 10328 Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
FWIW, some notes from my repair shipping off my unit to Laredo Sony. I've posted about this a few times, my serial and IP communications died in my upgrade board. I also asked them to look at the zoom not returning to saved positions, which was a new issue with the upgrade board (some others here mentioned it, but I don't recall hearing about it lately). That doesn't seem to have been fixed.

They say they upgraded the firmware in what are likely generic repair notes, but the only line item in the service menu higher than 1.00 is the IP ROM version, which is 1.03.

Good:
  • Unit was only in Laredo 4 business days
  • Sony paid for overnight shipping both ways
  • So far, the IP and serial issue seems to be resolved
  • I have a serial number listed in my menus now (the same serial that is in the sticker on the outside), and it does confirm I have an 1100ES board.
  • No obvious physical damage, and I don't see any operational glitches that would indicate a rough trip.

Bad:
  • Isn't there a large rubber foot on the rear of the unit? So you have adjustable feet in front, and the rubber in the back if you put this on a tabletop? That's missing. I ceiling mount, but still. And its not in the box or in the plastic.
  • FedEx glitch on the way there made it disappear from tracking for over 24 hours, and delayed shipment a day
  • Notes I put in box about shipping to my work address were ignored, it was shipped to my house
  • I shipped them original boxes and packing (it was double boxed), all I got back was generic single box packing that did not seem sufficient, and is not something I'd want to use if I had to send it off again
  • Front plastic didn't have a mark or fingerprint on it when I sent it, now has scuffs, handprints and minor scratches. Probably mostly not avoidable, and I hate that shiny plastic
  • They put some kind of tracking sticker on the unit, and where did they put it--on the front shiny plastic. Why?
  • Specifically requested pulling settings from old board. Everything was reset to defaults. I put back in everything from my calibration, so I'm wondering what if anything I'm missing from losing my original/upgrade board settings? Or maybe they did pull the stuff I can't see, but then why did they reset everything in the user menus? I guess I am unclear about why they had to transfer the settings from the old board to the new board during the on-site upgrades if they could have just copied settings.

Matt

Last edited by turls; 08-16-2014 at 03:05 AM.
post #10325 of 10328 Old 08-16-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 269
there is a thin rubber piece in the back, I have mine shelf mounted and just took a look. It's odd it would be missing, it's not necessary to remove that to swap out the motherboard.

are you saying they kept your original box? it's good to hear it's working ok, but I wouldn't be looking forward to sending mine in for any reason.

I'm going to take a closer look at some 4K gaming later tonight. This test rig is similar to mine, around 50 FPS is fine for me, i'm not a hardcore gamer. I just want to see some 4K eye candy.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/un...s-pc-idnum195/
post #10326 of 10328 Old 08-16-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 342
I would call ES intergrator support, chad or tony, and ask them to send you a replacement foot.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #10327 of 10328 Old 08-17-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
I would call ES intergrator support, chad or tony, and ask them to send you a replacement foot.
Thanks guys for confirming this is missing. I will give them a call.

Zombie yes they kept all my original packing. I understand you don't want to re-use shipping boxes too much, but I would have hoped for more comparable packing for the return trip. Looking forward to your gaming reports.

Now that I've got this integrated into my Control4 home automation again I played with some macros. In fact I never had it running with IP drivers before and it sure is nice to be able to control almost every setting on the unit. The new 1100ES driver (June?) can even turn on and off the "Mastered in 4K" setting. The macros are going to be especially nice for switching to low lag gaming settings when I switch to those sources.

I don't know if I have things dialed in better after being forced to do everything from scratch or it has just been too long since I watched a movie, but the bright scenes at the beginning of "Oculus" were just stunningly good.

Last edited by turls; 08-17-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page