Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 346 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10351 of 10355 Old 08-23-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anyone know the step up in price for the higher end commercial Sony 515 / 510. I've never seen a company make something so hard to buy. I can't even get a price. I've seen the 615 listed at $100k, which makes it easy to dismiss. The small DCI DLP projectors aren't much more than the vw1100. The 515 was Sony's "small" DCI offering, with the 510 cheaper still. For most people, the vw1100 makes a lot of sense. But if I want a 16' wide 1.0 gain AT screen to watch 3D movies, then my needs are different. If pricing is in the stratosphere then I will need to make compromises elsewhere, but I hate to make compromises just to fit into Sony's predetermined opinion of what I need as a consumer. Customer needs a price check. How hard is that? Next to impossible as it turns out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10352 of 10355 Old 08-23-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 351
I don't think Sony is selling it in the US. In Europe yes but you have to go through a very select commercial theater sales channel. Same if it were available in the US. I will check with my contacts and contact you with anything I find out.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; 08-23-2014 at 09:34 PM.
post #10353 of 10355 Old 08-23-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post
Anyone know the step up in price for the higher end commercial Sony 515 / 510. I've never seen a company make something so hard to buy. I can't even get a price. I've seen the 615 listed at $100k, which makes it easy to dismiss. The small DCI DLP projectors aren't much more than the vw1100. The 515 was Sony's "small" DCI offering, with the 510 cheaper still. For most people, the vw1100 makes a lot of sense. But if I want a 16' wide 1.0 gain AT screen to watch 3D movies, then my needs are different. If pricing is in the stratosphere then I will need to make compromises elsewhere, but I hate to make compromises just to fit into Sony's predetermined opinion of what I need as a consumer. Customer needs a price check. How hard is that? Next to impossible as it turns out.
I will see what we can do.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #10354 of 10355 Old 08-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
I looked up the specs on that screen material. It is unclear whether it is like most screens which are angular reflective and will hot spot if the minimum throw is less than the screen gain (assuming a white screen). Of course retroreflective screens (the HP 2.4 and 2.8 by da-lite Screen company) do not hot spot and the throw distance rules do not apply. Dr. Miller, you know I know this nor did I say to the contrary. Of course to get full gain froma retroreflective screen the screen needs to be the same angle above the screen as the eye angle is below.

The issue is whether the Elunevision bright white 2.4 gain is a retroreflective screen. Does anybody know? Does elunevision know/ I will call them in the morning to find out so we can appropriately advise our foreign friend in his set up.
A whole ago, I compared samples, and the EV 2.4 screen appeared to be the identical material to the Da-lite High Power 2.4, or else extremely close. It was definitely retroreflective.

It was a nice screen, and it gave stunning results for 3D or very large screen sizes.

Edit: Looking back at their site, they have different names now, so I can't say whether it's the same material.
post #10355 of 10355 Old 08-23-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 351
I doubt this company does any more than procure fabric from a variety of sources and sell it with a frame. So I wouldn't be surprised if they purchased HP from Da-lite in bulk. Almost anybody can start up a screen company now with very little investment. Lots of OEM screen companies in China just itching to sell their screens to american relabelers.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #10356 of 10355 Old 08-24-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post
Call me tomorrow and we can discuss the 515.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page