Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 353 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10561 of 10568 Old 10-17-2014, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks!! These are super useful answers for me, that helped me feel safer with putting the screen in front of the projector, allowing much bigger screen.

What's your advice or your own setup in terms of how low above the floor do you get the bottom of your screen to end?

I'm currently thinking of having the bottom of the screen (black masking part + metal rod [sorry I'm not sure what's the technical term for that piece]) reach about 8" from the floor, which means the 'white part' of the screen would start about 5" above that, at about 13" from floor level. Does that make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10562 of 10568 Old 10-17-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaharT View Post
Thanks!! These are super useful answers for me, that helped me feel safer with putting the screen in front of the projector, allowing much bigger screen.

What's your advice or your own setup in terms of how low above the floor do you get the bottom of your screen to end?

I'm currently thinking of having the bottom of the screen (black masking part + metal rod [sorry I'm not sure what's the technical term for that piece]) reach about 8" from the floor, which means the 'white part' of the screen would start about 5" above that, at about 13" from floor level. Does that make sense?
My 72"H screen is on a 100"H wall; it is 16" from the floor, and 12" from the ceiling. I decided on this by showing the pj on the wall for several days before mounting the screen. If you're building an unmovable screen, then you of course don't have this option. Anyway, I am very pleased with the dimensions I chose, but any room has its own specifics.
ShaharT likes this.
post #10563 of 10568 Old 10-17-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
I also like to sit fairly close (~11 ft from a 144" W screen), but as said viewing distance is a very personal thing.
Me to, I am 10ft from the same size screen and it is totally awesome!!!
ShaharT likes this.

David Ferebee
post #10564 of 10568 Old 10-17-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaharT View Post

My image used to be 20" above the floor, but currently it is 30". That is due to the large bass section of my mains and one of my large 18" subwoofers, under the screen. When I sit up in my chairs, that still puts me, viewing 1/3rd up the screen. Scope screen is 44.5" tall and my eye height is 45".
ShaharT likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #10565 of 10568 Old 10-20-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
Use Cinema1, D65 and rec 709 and you have a good pre calibrated mode. Reference was the best mode with the VW1000, but with the VW1100 it think Reference and Cinema1 is quite similar. Of course the best is to get it professionally calibrated, but I know you know this.
Thanks for sharing this. I hadn't really played with my settings, since the upgrade. I was just using what I had used in the past (which was reference tweaked in a variety of ways). I really like the suggestion of default Cinema1, D65, and rec 709 after the upgrade. There are a lot of settings engaged in the advanced menu and the synergy is really nice. The result is surprisingly bright and beautiful.

Ben
post #10566 of 10568 Old 10-20-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Ive been experimenting and interested in your thoughts....

Advanced Settings:

1. Anyone using "Black Level Adjustment" in advanced settings?
I believe it crushes blacks. It has a default setting of LOW in Cin 1 which is what I use. After lots of checking on blacks with bright backgrounds the detail is lost on the black parts of the image, when you turn it off the shadow detail returns. Ive seen this on a number of projectors that use this type of black enhancement and the problem also happened with my previous 500. Maybe OFF is the way to go?

2. Colour Correction, is it safe to use without artefacts?

3. Smooth Graduation, what is it who uses it? The manual is just stupid what it says.... Whatever this does, does it add artefacts? Who uses it?

4. How do people really know if they have the black floor at the lowest it really goes to with this projector. In the past with all my JVCs I used to put up 100% black field and use the black function on the JVC and adjust BLACK until it no longer showed up any changes with the blanking closed on the JVC. With this method I know I had the black floor set correctly on the projector. It doesn't seem to work like this on my 1100 even though Im using the blanking function on the Sony via RS232. not available in the menu or the remote on this model.

5. If one uses a HTPC what is the correct colour space to use, I was told BT.709 is not correct for a PC?

Thanks guys...
post #10567 of 10568 Old Today, 01:11 AM

Hi again,

More newbie questions, after a lot of further online reading.

1) Projector distance from the screen – if our room allows the projector to be placed within the min / max distances required for the screen size (180” diagonal, 166" wide 1:2.35 screen) – should this projector be placed in the middle of these distances or closer to either end? What are the benefits or drawbacks of having the projector closer to the minimum throw distance for the intended screen size (which for room aesthetic reasons, is where my wife would prefer we hang it)? If I understand correctly, so long it can fill the 180" 1:2.35 screen using zoom - there should be no problem to 'zoom out' from that distance for a 16:9 image on that screen (with masking dropping on the sides)? I guess these are actually two questions rolled in one.

2) I see this projector's native format is 1.9:1 (17:9) format. What’s the impact of this, if at all, on a constant image height screen? Our plan is to install a 1:2.35 screen with vertical masking (for 16:9 content) and use lens memory (and not an anamorphic lens) to zoom 1:2.35 content on it, and zoom back out for 16:9 content + drop down vertical masking. Can you please explain what bearing does this 17:9 native aspect ratio of this projector have, if at all, on our plans on screen aspect ratio / masking solution? Any drawbacks with our approach for native 4K content? Does the 17:9 native aspect ratio of this screen provide any additional benefits or drawbacks I should take into account?

Many thanks,
Shahar
post #10568 of 10568 Old Today, 01:12 AM

Hi again,

More newbie questions, after a lot of further online reading.

1) Projector distance from the screen – if our room allows the projector to be placed within the min / max distances required for the screen size (180” diagonal, 166" wide 1:2.35 screen) – should this projector be placed in the middle of these distances or closer to either end? What are the benefits or drawbacks of having the projector closer to the minimum throw distance for the intended screen size (which for room aesthetic reasons, is where my wife would prefer we hang it)? If I understand correctly, so long it can fill the 180" 1:2.35 screen using zoom - there should be no problem to 'zoom out' from that distance for a 16:9 image on that screen (with masking dropping on the sides)? I guess these are actually two questions rolled in one.

2) I see this projector's native format is 1.9:1 (17:9) format. What’s the impact of this, if at all, on a constant image height screen? Our plan is to install a 1:2.35 screen with vertical masking (for 16:9 content) and use lens memory (and not an anamorphic lens) to zoom 1:2.35 content on it, and zoom back out for 16:9 content + drop down vertical masking. Can you please explain what bearing does this 17:9 native aspect ratio of this projector have, if at all, on our plans on screen aspect ratio / masking solution? Any drawbacks with our approach for native 4K content? Does the 17:9 native aspect ratio of this screen provide any additional benefits or drawbacks I should take into account?

Many thanks,
Shahar
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page