Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 363 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #10861 of 10883 Old 01-16-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 6,134
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 337
If I recall correctly the VW1100 (or upgraded VW1000) can accept 10-bit video in either 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 at 24 Hz.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10862 of 10883 Old 01-16-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
If I recall correctly the VW1100 (or upgraded VW1000) can accept 10-bit video in either 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 at 24 Hz.
It can accept 12bit 4:4:4 video at 24hz. There's more than enough bandwidth for the current motherboard/HDMI implementation to do this and I believe there is some Sony literature posted in this thread saying the SXRD panels are 12bit panels.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #10863 of 10883 Old 01-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Member
 
Sandel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RS232 codes

Hi there,

after upgrading the motherboard of my VW1000 to a VW1100, my RS232 codes don't seem to work any longer... Does anybody know where I could get the VW1100 codes for my remote?
Thanks!

Last edited by Sandel; 01-23-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Sandel is offline  
post #10864 of 10883 Old 01-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Deepsky4565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Focus and Ethernet problems since 1100 upgrade

Since upgrading the focus keeps drifting. Every time we start a new theater session, I need tweak the focus, I didn't before. Also the ethernet port seems dead. Nothing on the port at all. My warrantee is up in a few months, but the cost, hassle ans downtime makes me question whether I should ship it in for repair. Anyone else experience these issues?
Deepsky4565 is offline  
post #10865 of 10883 Old 01-23-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandel View Post
after upgrading the motherboard of my VW1000 to a VW1100, my RS232 codes don't seem to work any longer... Does anybody know where I could get the VW1100 codes for my remote?
Thanks!
Are you sure your RS232 port works? My IP and RS232 were dead after the upgrade. Didn't realize it right away (long story) and ended up having to ship the thing off to get it fixed. The codes shouldn't have changed much if at all.

Matt
turls is offline  
post #10866 of 10883 Old 01-23-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsky4565 View Post
Since upgrading the focus keeps drifting. Every time we start a new theater session, I need tweak the focus, I didn't before. Also the ethernet port seems dead. Nothing on the port at all. My warrantee is up in a few months, but the cost, hassle ans downtime makes me question whether I should ship it in for repair. Anyone else experience these issues?
Early versions of the 1000 had issues with IP and RS-232 control - but that addressed with the logic board upgrade is my understanding.

I know for IP, you have to setup specific addresses that are permitted to control the device, perhaps four or five maximum. Even if you set the IP address in the GUI, it will not be controllable until you do this.

If you've already done this, ignore me. Otherwise, search this thread for the setup procedure and control port number.

It is a hassle but I would fix it unless you never plan to sell it.
thrang is online now  
post #10867 of 10883 Old 01-23-2015, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,736
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
It can accept 12bit 4:4:4 video at 24hz. There's more than enough bandwidth for the current motherboard/HDMI implementation to do this and I believe there is some Sony literature posted in this thread saying the SXRD panels are 12bit panels.
I know I am still in love with the image it throws (even if it has dimmed a bit). If it does indeed accept 12 bit 4:4:4 then it seems I am set for a while still.

If only it were Laser or LED driven with even more lumens I would consider it almost perfect. Until HDR or something it clearly doesn't do convinces me otherwise of course!
hifiaudio2 is online now  
post #10868 of 10883 Old 01-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Member
 
Sandel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
Are you sure your RS232 port works? My IP and RS232 were dead after the upgrade. Didn't realize it right away (long story) and ended up having to ship the thing off to get it fixed. The codes shouldn't have changed much if at all.
I only noticed that the Sony isn't responding to my RS232 connected remote any longer. But of course it might be an option as well that the ports are dead. How can I make sure?
Sandel is offline  
post #10869 of 10883 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Member
 
darksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So is the 1000/1100 obsolete? It doesn't support the UHD standard that is emerging. I was considering buying one but it seems I should wait.

Tasos
darksets is online now  
post #10870 of 10883 Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,736
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Which part of the standard are you referring to?
hifiaudio2 is online now  
post #10871 of 10883 Old Today, 10:13 AM
Member
 
darksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
which part of the standard are you referring to?
hdmi 2.0
darksets is online now  
post #10872 of 10883 Old Today, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,736
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I am not sure what you mean. The upgraded 1000 and base 1100 support hdmi 2.0.
hifiaudio2 is online now  
post #10873 of 10883 Unread Today, 02:29 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,924
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
It can accept 12bit 4:4:4 video at 24hz. There's more than enough bandwidth for the current motherboard/HDMI implementation to do this and I believe there is some Sony literature posted in this thread saying the SXRD panels are 12bit panels.
Correct. I posted that the panels could handle 12 bits, after confirming with Sony.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #10874 of 10883 Unread Today, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,924
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksets View Post
So is the 1000/1100 obsolete? It doesn't support the UHD standard that is emerging. I was considering buying one but it seems I should wait.

Tasos
The Sony should support everything that you will be able to get on a 4K BD, at least for a few years. By that, I mean, I am not expecting rec2020 to appear on BD's for a few years.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #10875 of 10883 Unread Today, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Most likely the first round of UHD BD will be 10bit 4:2:0 P3 HEVC UHD video. There are a few 1080p projectors such as the Runco Q750i (though you'd need to get around HDCP 2.2 for this model) and the Epson LS10000 that can do P3 color space properly and accept and display 10bit video but they are still 1080p at heart. The 1100ES is the only consumer projector out there that can display this new format properly.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #10876 of 10883 Unread Today, 05:30 PM
Senior Member
 
rak306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
...
Most likely the first round of UHD BD will be 10bit 4:2:0 P3 HEVC UHD video.
...
I'm not convinced we will see P3 sources anytime soon. That is, I'm expecting the first UHD sources to be 8 bit, 4:2:0 rec 709.

Of course, I could be wrong.
rak306 is online now  
post #10877 of 10883 Unread Today, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
I'm not convinced we will see P3 sources anytime soon. That is, I'm expecting the first UHD sources to be 8 bit, 4:2:0 rec 709.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Don't know about the bit depth part, but I hope it's not 8 bit, but regarding the use of P3 I think if UHD BD has SMPTE 2086 in it's spec there'd be absolutely no reason not to use P3 seeing how they don't have any extra work to do to bring this color gamut to us on UHD BD considering the DCI master is already color graded for P3.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #10878 of 10883 Unread Today, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
rak306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Don't know about the bit depth part, but I hope it's not 8 bit, but regarding the use of P3 I think if UHD BD has SMPTE 2086 in it's spec there'd be absolutely no reason not to use P3 seeing how they don't have any extra work to do to bring this color gamut to us on UHD BD considering the DCI master is already color graded for P3.
I see two reasons why P3 may be delayed in UHD Blu-ray:

1) Few (if any) UHD TVs support P3. Now if there is an intelligent way to convert P3 to rec. 709 automatically - so the player can do the conversion - then this would not be an issue. I see the same reason for 8 bit, although automatic conversion to 8 bit is simple.

2) Studios may be reluctant to put out the same color quality on disk that they send to exhibitors.

BTW -I hope you are right, I'm just a bit skeptical.
rak306 is online now  
post #10879 of 10883 Unread Today, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
I see two reasons why P3 may be delayed in UHD Blu-ray:

1) Few (if any) UHD TVs support P3. Now if there is an intelligent way to convert P3 to rec. 709 automatically - so the player can do the conversion - then this would not be an issue. I see the same reason for 8 bit, although automatic conversion to 8 bit is simple.

2) Studios may be reluctant to put out the same color quality on disk that they send to exhibitors.

BTW -I hope you are right, I'm just a bit skeptical.
That's what SMPTE 2086 is for. Read into it.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #10880 of 10883 Unread Today, 07:04 PM
Member
 
darksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
I am not sure what you mean. The upgraded 1000 and base 1100 support hdmi 2.0.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but according to this article

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...d-4k-projector

it only in name supports hdmi 2.0:

"The VPL-VW1100ES’s HDMI ports are technically HDMI 2.0, but they don’t provide the full capabilities put forth by the HDMI organization. The inputs are limited to a bandwidth of 10.2 gigabits per second, as opposed to the higher 18 Gbps also specified for HDMI 2.0"

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tasos
darksets is online now  
post #10881 of 10883 Unread Today, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksets View Post
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but according to this article

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...d-4k-projector

it only in name supports hdmi 2.0:

"The VPL-VW1100ES’s HDMI ports are technically HDMI 2.0, but they don’t provide the full capabilities put forth by the HDMI organization. The inputs are limited to a bandwidth of 10.2 gigabits per second, as opposed to the higher 18 Gbps also specified for HDMI 2.0"

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tasos
Yes, it is a bandwidth limited HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 port. It doesn't support the entire bandwidth throughput of HDMI 2.0. However, it is still sufficient for 12bit 4:4:4 UHD video at 24hz, which is what the vast majority of UHD blu-ray will be or lower for a long time. Also, it can fully support P3 color space which is one of only a few current projectors that can. None of the others are native UHD/4K projectors. So, no, it's not obsolete. It will support the initial offerings of UHD Blu-ray when it comes. Once HFR, HDR, 16bit and REC2020 sources in UHD become available then yes, you can call the 1100ES obsolete, but that won't be for quite a few years. The 1100ES is anything but obsolete when it comes to UHD.

Think of the port as 4G LTE compared to 4G.
AV Science Sales 5 likes this.

Last edited by Seegs108; Today at 07:17 PM.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #10882 of 10883 Unread Today, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Here's a quick cheat sheet for what the Sony VPL-VW1100ES (and VW600ES and VW350ES) supports:

Seegs108 is online now  
post #10883 of 10883 Unread Today, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,924
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
I see two reasons why P3 may be delayed in UHD Blu-ray:

1) Few (if any) UHD TVs support P3. Now if there is an intelligent way to convert P3 to rec. 709 automatically - so the player can do the conversion - then this would not be an issue. I see the same reason for 8 bit, although automatic conversion to 8 bit is simple.

2) Studios may be reluctant to put out the same color quality on disk that they send to exhibitors.

BTW -I hope you are right, I'm just a bit skeptical.

Your guess/assumption is the same as mine.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off