post #10891 of 10894 Old Today, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandel View Post
I only noticed that the Sony isn't responding to my RS232 connected remote any longer. But of course it might be an option as well that the ports are dead. How can I make sure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsky4565 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't tried the serial port. Did you get any info on why this happened?
One way to tell was that the IP settings couldn't be changed. Besides that, just try to hook serial/IP up and see if you get any activity. I think IP is easier to tell than serial.

I got no explanation from Sony on why it happened, but they ended up replacing the upgraded board with a replacement.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 10894 Unread Today, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
We are still about a year away for uhd bd, so level b is good for now.
On top of this, its been confirmed that there is no Ultra 4K 3D in the new standard, because the chips would be too expensive. So another reason why this projector won't be obsolete any time soon. My guess is if competition does get released, it may not even include Blu-ray 3D. So you might get some new features, that may or may not get used in actual studio releases any time soon, but you might miss out on 3D.

Matt
post #10893 of 10894 Unread Today, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
One way to tell was that the IP settings couldn't be changed. Besides that, just try to hook serial/IP up and see if you get any activity. I think IP is easier to tell than serial.

I got no explanation from Sony on why it happened, but they ended up replacing the upgraded board with a replacement.
I'll give it a try. Thanks!
post #10894 of 10894 Unread Today, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I do wonder how long it would take for broadcast to be in 4k. I always hear that its years away. Since we know hdmi 2.0 level B is all we need for uhd bd, what else do we need more than level b for? I do want a 4k projector with the full hdmi 2.0 for the future but I'll be on to the next 4k projector by that time. I guess I was expecting more from the start. We are still about a year away for uhd bd, so level b is good for now.
This is a real chicken and egg problem. In a few years - when the majority of TVs sold are UHD - then there will be incentive for cable companies/Dish to offer UHD channels.

Broadcasters are in a different situation. Their TV channels are 6 MHz wide, and can transmit ~20Mbps. Almost all of them have 1 main channel, and 1 or 2 subchannels. All of this must fit in the 20Mbps channel. As it is many skimp on the BW assigned to the main channel - so you end up with crap HD.

Now putting aside the issue of compatibility with existing HD receivers, a 2160p30 UHD is is going to be hard to get into less than 20Mbps. So what about the subchannels - do you think the stations are going to just use 1 main channel and give up the subchannels? Does not seem likely to me. So you would end up with a crappy UHD just like we have (mostly) crappy OTH HD.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page