Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 364 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #10891 of 11580 Old 01-26-2015, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Here's a quick cheat sheet for what the Sony VPL-VW1100ES (and VW600ES and VW350ES) supports:

Thanks for the explanation. I'm still a little confused by all the possible combinations. In another thread here ("Ultra HD Blu-ray Spec at CES 2015"), Scott Wilkinson writes:

"Also, players must support frame rates up to 60 fps and color gamuts up to BT.2020 with 10-bit resolution."

In your table I don't see a combination of 60fps and 10bit color resolution. You also specify the color standard in a different way so I'm not sure if it translates to the same thing. So I'm still unsure what's going on but I appreciate your and the other knowledgeable people's effort here at AVS, to inform the rest of us.

Tasos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 11580 Old 01-26-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandel View Post
I only noticed that the Sony isn't responding to my RS232 connected remote any longer. But of course it might be an option as well that the ports are dead. How can I make sure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsky4565 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't tried the serial port. Did you get any info on why this happened?
One way to tell was that the IP settings couldn't be changed. Besides that, just try to hook serial/IP up and see if you get any activity. I think IP is easier to tell than serial.

I got no explanation from Sony on why it happened, but they ended up replacing the upgraded board with a replacement.

Matt
post #10893 of 11580 Old 01-26-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
We are still about a year away for uhd bd, so level b is good for now.
On top of this, its been confirmed that there is no Ultra 4K 3D in the new standard, because the chips would be too expensive. So another reason why this projector won't be obsolete any time soon. My guess is if competition does get released, it may not even include Blu-ray 3D. So you might get some new features, that may or may not get used in actual studio releases any time soon, but you might miss out on 3D.

Matt
post #10894 of 11580 Old 01-26-2015, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
One way to tell was that the IP settings couldn't be changed. Besides that, just try to hook serial/IP up and see if you get any activity. I think IP is easier to tell than serial.

I got no explanation from Sony on why it happened, but they ended up replacing the upgraded board with a replacement.
I'll give it a try. Thanks!
post #10895 of 11580 Old 01-26-2015, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I do wonder how long it would take for broadcast to be in 4k. I always hear that its years away. Since we know hdmi 2.0 level B is all we need for uhd bd, what else do we need more than level b for? I do want a 4k projector with the full hdmi 2.0 for the future but I'll be on to the next 4k projector by that time. I guess I was expecting more from the start. We are still about a year away for uhd bd, so level b is good for now.
This is a real chicken and egg problem. In a few years - when the majority of TVs sold are UHD - then there will be incentive for cable companies/Dish to offer UHD channels.

Broadcasters are in a different situation. Their TV channels are 6 MHz wide, and can transmit ~20Mbps. Almost all of them have 1 main channel, and 1 or 2 subchannels. All of this must fit in the 20Mbps channel. As it is many skimp on the BW assigned to the main channel - so you end up with crap HD.

Now putting aside the issue of compatibility with existing HD receivers, a 2160p30 UHD is is going to be hard to get into less than 20Mbps. So what about the subchannels - do you think the stations are going to just use 1 main channel and give up the subchannels? Does not seem likely to me. So you would end up with a crappy UHD just like we have (mostly) crappy OTH HD.
post #10896 of 11580 Old 01-26-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post
It seems current Sony 4k PJs support HDMI 2.0 Level B. If that is the case the question to Sony is if a board upgrade is possible to bring support to Level A. That is also assuming the 600/350 panels can support 12bit signals.
They won't be upgrading those units. Information revealed a while back indicated it cost Sony a lot of money to create the update for 1000ES owners to upgrade their motherboard. Much of the cost to do this was subsidized by Sony. Considering there are probably more 600ES/350ES owners than 1100ES owners it would be too costly for Sony to do another upgrade. Then again, like I pointed out, these Sony 4K models have enough bandwidth for what the vast majority of UHD BD will be anyways. There's really no point in an upgrade for all three units. If 600ES owners are expecting some sort of upgrade I don't know why this would be. It was pretty obvious the 600ES and 350ES were "early adopter" units. They were released well beyond a year prior to UHD BD spec being finalized. Were they honestly expecting Sony to know everything about that finalized spec more than a year in advanced (4 years if you consider how old the 1000ES is)? I think it would be a bit ridiculous for end users to expect Sony to provide an update for them. Early adopters should know they usually get shafted in one way or another.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
post #10897 of 11580 Old 01-26-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksets View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I'm still a little confused by all the possible combinations. In another thread here ("Ultra HD Blu-ray Spec at CES 2015"), Scott Wilkinson writes:

"Also, players must support frame rates up to 60 fps and color gamuts up to BT.2020 with 10-bit resolution."

In your table I don't see a combination of 60fps and 10bit color resolution. You also specify the color standard in a different way so I'm not sure if it translates to the same thing. So I'm still unsure what's going on but I appreciate your and the other knowledgeable people's effort here at AVS, to inform the rest of us.

Tasos
You need to do some reading up on the topic. Currently there are literally NO displays (flat panels or projectors) that fully support REC2020 color space. This is a limitation of the current light source and display technologies. Currently displays based on LEDs, OLEDs, Quantum Dot, CCFL, Plasma, UHP lamps, Xenon lamps, and phosphor wheel/laser illumination cannot create a spectrum of light large enough to create a REC2020 gamut and thus none of the displays can be calibrated for REC2020. What this means is that at first REC2020 color gamut will not be used. They will most likely use REC709 or possibly P3 color space for UHD BD. The use of REC2020 is still years off. The same goes for 60fps material. There aren't any films I know of that are 60fps and most of the amateur/consumer grade 4K recording gear out there records at 8bit 4:2:0 so these Sony units will be more than capable to display the content correctly. The 600ES/350ES cannot produce a P3 color space but the 1100ES has a special filter which allows this. So that unit is the most future proof.

The reason why I say you need to read more into it is because I think you're confusing a lot of what the Scott Wilkinson article says because it's also missing a lot of information so people are coming away from it less informed compared to when they first went in. The UHD BD spec will be "loose" in it's specs. A lot of what Scott wrote neglects further clarification. What I mean is that while he says the players need to support REC2020, he neglects to say that it's not the only color gamut supported. It will also support P3 or REC709 either separately or will adopt SMPTE 2086 so the correct color gamut information can be generated for a display that doesn't support REC2020. Then he mentions it will need to support 10bit color resolution, but neglects to say the spec will include support for UHD video anywhere from 8 bit to 16 bit video with support for various chroma subsampling rates at each bit depth.

The format will have "loose" specs because the BDA realizes this format is calling for things that don't exist yet and for things that current displays cannot do. So while Scott's article says certain things those are not the specs of all video that UHD BD will have. It's more than likely, for a number of years, we won't see anything but 8bit (possibly 10bit) 4:2:0 UHD video color graded for a REC709 color space with a possibility in the future for UHD BDs to come out with higher bit depth, chroma subsampling, and content color graded for a larger gamut. This format is no where near as strict as 1080p blu-ray is and they're doing it like this to ensure this format is as future proof as possible.
billqs and d.j. like this.

Last edited by Seegs108; 01-26-2015 at 03:46 PM.
post #10898 of 11580 Old 01-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
The format will have "loose" specs because the BDA realizes this format is calling for things that don't exist yet and for things that current displays cannot do. So while Scott's article says certain things those are not the specs of all video that UHD BD will have. It's more than likely, for a number of years, we won't see anything but 8bit (possibly 10bit) 4:2:0 UHD video color graded for a REC709 color space with a possibility in the future for UHD BDs to come out with higher bit depth, chroma subsampling, and content color graded for a larger gamut. This format is no where near as strict as 1080p blu-ray is and they're doing it like this to ensure this format is as future proof as possible.

This reflects my expectation too, which lead to my decision not to wait and take the plunge. Some say wait a year and you will have displays that "truly" support 4k spec... well the real answer is they will likely support a bit more than the displays of today, and within another year we may see better support yet and so on. Process that may depend on how content rolls out too, i.e. it can take a few years. By the time displays cover most/all of the 4k spec, there will be other innovations on the horizon and these latest displays will not be future proof again. You see my point...

If I had to state one concern about the current Sony PJs, it is about not supporting motion flow with 4k as I really like it when compared to true cinema, and the first 4k movies will likely come in 24fps...
post #10899 of 11580 Old 01-26-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post
If I had to state one concern about the current Sony PJs, it is about not supporting motion flow with 4k as I really like it when compared to true cinema, and the first 4k movies will likely come in 24fps...
This is really a limitation in the current computing power of video processors. It's not so much that Sony chose not to include it, but more along the lines of it's not yet possible with the current processors available.

FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
post #10900 of 11580 Old 01-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
This is really a limitation in the current computing power of video processors. It's not so much that Sony chose not to include it, but more along the lines of it's not yet possible with the current processors available.
I am not blaming Sony for that, they are already ahead of the curve in 4k. Regardless, it is a feature I would likely miss more than the rest of the 4k spec.
post #10901 of 11580 Old 01-26-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
You need to do some reading up on the topic. Currently there are literally NO displays (flat panels or projectors) that fully support REC2020 color space. This is a limitation of the current light source and display technologies. Currently displays based on LEDs, OLEDs, Quantum Dot, CCFL, Plasma, UHP lamps, Xenon lamps, and phosphor wheel/laser illumination cannot create a spectrum of light large enough to create a REC2020 gamut and thus none of the displays can be calibrated for REC2020. What this means is that at first REC2020 color gamut will not be used. They will most likely use REC709 or possibly P3 color space for UHD BD. The use of REC2020 is still years off. The same goes for 60fps material. There aren't any films I know of that are 60fps and most of the amateur/consumer grade 4K recording gear out there records at 8bit 4:2:0 so these Sony units will be more than capable to display the content correctly. The 600ES/350ES cannot produce a P3 color space but the 1100ES has a special filter which allows this. So that unit is the most future proof.

The reason why I say you need to read more into it is because I think you're confusing a lot of what the Scott Wilkinson article says because it's also missing a lot of information so people are coming away from it less informed compared to when they first went in. The UHD BD spec will be "loose" in it's specs. A lot of what Scott wrote neglects further clarification. What I mean is that while he says the players need to support REC2020, he neglects to say that it's not the only color gamut supported. It will also support P3 or REC709 either separately or will adopt SMPTE 2086 so the correct color gamut information can be generated for a display that doesn't support REC2020. Then he mentions it will need to support 10bit color resolution, but neglects to say the spec will include support for UHD video anywhere from 8 bit to 16 bit video with support for various chroma subsampling rates at each bit depth.

Good post and I agree. People keep thinking they wait until this fall and they will get a projector that meets the full HDMI 2.0 spec. They thought that last year and we know how that worked out. If waiting for full spec, you have a long wait. Better buy a lamp or two for your current projector.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #10902 of 11580 Old 01-26-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 864
I already have a spare lamp and my present lamp has under 500 hours on it. My projector can also do P3. Although this is anti sales, I would not buy a 4K projector unless it can do P3. I think the ability to display P3 will not make anyone wanting for quite a few years. If I needed or wanted a new projector, I would buy a 2k projector or a cheaper faux 4K from JVC. Todays 4K (basically just a resolution increase) just doesn't give one very much.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; 01-27-2015 at 12:44 PM.
post #10903 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
This sounds like a complete mess. Or just a way to sell us the same content multiple times. First comes the 8bit 4:2:0 version, then the "special edition" with 10bit 4:2:0, then the "anniversary edition" REC2020. On top of that before buying a disc we'd have to check if it's compatible with our projector and/or player. It will make only having to check if the #@&!% region is compatible "the good old days".

Again thanks for the informative post. I'm not sure if now I am more or less inclined to get the vw1100. In the end the decisive factor might be the brightness and the $900 bulbs in my, not so bright to begin with, vw200.

Tasos
post #10904 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
They won't be upgrading those units. Information revealed a while back indicated it cost Sony a lot of money to create the update for 1000ES owners to upgrade their motherboard. Much of the cost to do this was subsidized by Sony. Considering there are probably more 600ES/350ES owners than 1100ES owners it would be too costly for Sony to do another upgrade. Then again, like I pointed out, these Sony 4K models have enough bandwidth for what the vast majority of UHD BD will be anyways. There's really no point in an upgrade for all three units. If 600ES owners are expecting some sort of upgrade I don't know why this would be. It was pretty obvious the 600ES and 350ES were "early adopter" units. They were released well beyond a year prior to UHD BD spec being finalized. Were they honestly expecting Sony to know everything about that finalized spec more than a year in advanced (4 years if you consider how old the 1000ES is)? I think it would be a bit ridiculous for end users to expect Sony to provide an update for them. Early adopters should know they usually get shafted in one way or another.
What burns me is there there NO reason to offer the upgrade when they did, or even launch an 1100, which was basically identical to the 1000, knowing what needed to shake out. We all wanted something, no doubt, but as an industry leader, all they needed to do at the time is say - "We know you guys are impatient, but we want to wait until the specs are settled and the hardware is available so you can take maximum advantage of what the 1000 has to offer and what the future may hold. So look for an update kit end of 2014/early 2015. It's our guarantee to you."

Then launch the 1100 at 2015 CES, with full support for HDMI 2.0 and announce the upgrade kit for the 1000. They should have tried to build the 4k service more agnostically, to try and get more studios on board, not worry about limiting it exclusively Sony devices from the start, and launch it separately and with focused fanfare as an industry-first with broad appeal to any 4k display owner (putting aside its insignificant quality gains over existing Blu Ray)

All they did was push out a way-too early upgrade simply to get HDCP 2.2 in place because some guy who's probably long-fired thought they had to be first to market with a 4k service, and Sony thought they had a GOLD MINE with the FMP - a product (and its successor) and a severely limited service than almost everyone here I would suspect never or rarely uses (certainly no stream of posts salivating over another great stunning 4k released that they watched over the weekend)

So why did they need to do an upgrade then as opposed to now or even mid 2015...? The (potential) partial gain in functionality could have been a much more complete gain to the end user had they waited till now.
turls likes this.

Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - Marantz 8802 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51/A23 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k • Last Watched: The Godfather - Last Listened: King Crimson "Discipline"
post #10905 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They clearly wanted to make you suffer. Maybe the people who are no longer there felt that Sony wouldn't last much longer and they wanted to make sure they gave you something before the company went kaput or simply couldn't afford to do an upgrade. Remember all their field engineers who installed boards have now been laid off.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #10906 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The format will have "loose" specs because the BDA realizes this format is calling for things that don't exist yet and for things that current displays cannot do. ... his format is no where near as strict as 1080p blu-ray is and they're doing it like this to ensure this format is as future proof as possible.
Yet 3D is (likely) nowhere in the spec. Real "future proof" when you take away features compared to the previous iteration!

Matt
post #10907 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
They clearly wanted to make you suffer. Maybe the people who are no longer there felt that Sony wouldn't last much longer and they wanted to make sure they gave you something before the company went kaput or simply couldn't afford to do an upgrade. Remember all their field engineers who installed boards have now been laid off.
Sony. It's All Baloney
mark haflich likes this.

Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - Marantz 8802 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51/A23 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k • Last Watched: The Godfather - Last Listened: King Crimson "Discipline"
post #10908 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
What burns me is there there NO reason to offer the upgrade when they did, or even launch an 1100, which was basically identical to the 1000, knowing what needed to shake out. We all wanted something, no doubt, but as an industry leader, all they needed to do at the time is say - "We know you guys are impatient, but we want to wait until the specs are settled and the hardware is available so you can take maximum advantage of what the 1000 has to offer and what the future may hold. So look for an update kit end of 2014/early 2015. It's our guarantee to you."

Then launch the 1100 at 2015 CES, with full support for HDMI 2.0 and announce the upgrade kit for the 1000. They should have tried to build the 4k service more agnostically, to try and get more studios on board, not worry about limiting it exclusively Sony devices from the start, and launch it separately and with focused fanfare as an industry-first with broad appeal to any 4k display owner (putting aside its insignificant quality gains over existing Blu Ray)

All they did was push out a way-too early upgrade simply to get HDCP 2.2 in place because some guy who's probably long-fired thought they had to be first to market with a 4k service, and Sony thought they had a GOLD MINE with the FMP - a product (and its successor) and a severely limited service than almost everyone here I would suspect never or rarely uses (certainly no stream of posts salivating over another great stunning 4k released that they watched over the weekend)

So why did they need to do an upgrade then as opposed to now or even mid 2015...? The (potential) partial gain in functionality could have been a much more complete gain to the end user had they waited till now.
To quote Judge Chamberlain Haller form the movie My Cousin Vinny, "That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection."

But, I don't think they could have gotten away with doing nothing at the time as the cat was already out of the bag with the FMP units supporting their 4K TV displays. Sony needed 4K content to push sales of the 4K TV's and that's true even today. And back peddling by telling the public to wait until the specs have settled and hardware becomes available for the VPL-VW1000 would have killed their 4K TV sales by begging the question about the hardware and specs for the 4K TV's.
mark haflich likes this.
post #10909 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
To quote Judge Chamberlain Haller form the movie My Cousin Vinny, "That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection."

But, I don't think they could have gotten away with doing nothing at the time as the cat was already out of the bag with the FMP units supporting their 4K TV displays. Sony needed 4K content to push sales of the 4K TV's and that's true even today. And back peddling by telling the public to wait until the specs have settled and hardware becomes available for the VPL-VW1000 would have killed their 4K TV sales by begging the question about the hardware and specs for the 4K TV's.
Lol, we just watched that a few weeks ago...what a classic movie...

My point is the 4k service (Sony knowing what it was -no better than Blu Ray with no content) was immaterial or even mildly hurtful to Sony. What goodwill does that facata service generate for them?

Most people bought 4k to future proof their purchase, and still do to this day since there's nothing to watch. If marketed correctly, (and with some foresight of engineering design to facilitate updates easier, an area where Sony failed, but Samscum may have done better with external boxes for their sets), they still could have sold boxes and taken the correct path for the marketplace

As it stands the Puck, Brick, and service ended up being a joke and helped Sony in almost no way. Joe Six Pack wasn't the customer for 4k, so focus on the relatively higher standards the boutique market wants, make a name, and grow it from there.

Almost everything that could be done wrong with 4k was done wrong by this industry. And the same farce is now playing out with multiple new audio surround formats.

post #10910 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

This is basically the argument I've made for months, and that was before I read in one of the highlighted AVS forums that the 18Ghz (edit: 18Gbps--thanks Seegs) chips have been in some consumer devices for the past 6-8 months. So they would have only had to delay the rollout a few months. And they (Sony and MS) could have also gone ahead and made 4K gaming consoles if they had just put an unnecessary hardware refresh off one holiday season.

Maybe that last part is a stretch because volume would have been an issue. But now these stupid console gens that should last at least 5-7 years are probably stuck at 1080p.

Matt

Last edited by turls; 01-27-2015 at 02:07 PM.
post #10911 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is basically the argument I've made for months, and that was before I read in one of the highlighted AVS forums that the 18Ghz chips have been in some consumer devices for the past 6-8 months. So they would have only had to delay the rollout a few months. And they (Sony and MS) could have also gone ahead and made 4K gaming consoles if they had just put an unnecessary hardware refresh off one holiday season.

Maybe that last part is a stretch because volume would have been an issue. But now these stupid console gens that should last at least 5-7 years are probably stuck at 1080p.
It's 18Gbps not Ghz. But your time frame is way off. The 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 chipsets have only been available in mass quantities for a few months now. So people would have been waiting more than year extra to get the upgrade, not a few months. I think if Sony released the 600ES with it's bandwidth advantage (even though it's the more limited 10.2Gbps chipset) with support for Sony's 4K download service and not offer the 1000ES an upgrade to take advantage of the same content and throughput as the 600ES the 1000ES would have been furious. So while you may say this in hindsight, take a moment and put yourself in your shoes 1.5 years ago. At the time, if Sony said "We're going to make 1000ES owners wait more than year to upgrade your units" how upset would this crowd have been?

post #10912 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But your time frame is way off. The 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 chipsets have only been available in mass quantities for a few months now.
From Scott Wilkinson's forum post, just from yesterday here at AVS:

Quote:
I spoke with Steve Venuti, president of HDMI Licensing, the organization that licenses the HDMI spec to manufacturers. He told me that the required chips with HDMI 2.0 at 18 Gbps and HDCP 2.2 have been selling for the last six to eight months, and these are now in shipping products, including various Panasonic devices and Samsung TVs. I had thought it would have taken longer than that to integrate the new chips into products.
So that means I got my upgraded board about 1-3 months before the 18Gbps made that board basically obsolete.

Now back to your post:

Quote:
So while you may say this in hindsight, take a moment and put yourself in your shoes 1.5 years ago. At the time, if Sony said "We're going to make 1000ES owners wait more than year to upgrade your units" how upset would this crowd have been?
I'd have to go back and search my posts, but I was thinking this from very soon after I heard about this. No hindsight involved in this analysis. The timetable was all around HDCP 2.2 (and Sony's half-baked playback hardware), when it should have been all about finalized HDMI 2.0. And now we get to wait for Amazon streaming anyway (which is already bought and paid for by many of us) when other Sony hardware has already implemented it!

It really all goes back to, yes it is fantastic they offered the upgrade, but if they were going to bother to do it why didn't they just go ahead and do it right?

Matt

Last edited by turls; 01-27-2015 at 02:11 PM.
post #10913 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am not upset by any of this. I have gotten 3 years of great PQ out of my 1000/1100ES. A fantastic projector which it would still be if it were only a 2k set. the P3 filter means I will be able to watch 4k Blurays in P3 which I believe will be the new color space for say 3 or 4 years and 8 Bits will do me fine and so will 19.2 Gbps chips at 24 and 4:2:0, I doubt that colors would be noticeably better at 4:2:2 than 2:0 given that the difference would be in blue given how relatively unimportant blue is and how insensitive our eyes are to blue. Thrang and Turls are a lot more sensitive than their eyes are to blue.

Thrang. Did you watch the NHL all star game? Even I didn't watch that nor the NFL Pro Ball game.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #10914 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
From Scott Wilkinson's forum post, just from yesterday here at AVS:

So that means I got my upgraded board about 1-3 months before the 18Gbps made that board basically obsolete.

Now back to your post:

I'd have to go back and search my posts, but I was thinking this from very soon after I heard about this. No hindsight involved in this analysis. The timetable was all around HDCP 2.2 (and Sony's half-baked playback hardware), when it should have been all about finalized HDMI 2.0. And now we get to wait for Amazon streaming anyway (which is already bought and paid for by many of us) when other Sony hardware has already implemented it!

It really all goes back to, yes it is fantastic they offered the upgrade, but if they were going to bother to do it why didn't they just go ahead and do it right?
If you want to think of it like that then your time frame is still off. What I meant was they've only been available in products you can buy for a few months. But you're right that they've been available for manufacturers to purchase that long, which means they still would've had to been available at least a year prior because development and manufacturing the new motherboard didn't happen over night. They most likely started work on it when they were designing the 600ES motherboard, which was most likely ~2 years ago which was well before these 18Gbps chipsets were available, not a few months before they were available like you're trying to insinuate. The development phase of a projector takes quite a while, well before rollout of the actual product. This is why you saw other products (receivers, TVs, ect) take 6-8 months to come to market after the chips where available for purchase. Like I said, R&D and manufacturing a product takes a long time.

It is unfortunate this model doesn't meet the full HDMI 2.0 spec, but even so, this unit with the upgraded motherboard will be able to support a vast number of UHD blu-rays when they come. The only things it won't be able to support is higher than 12bit 4:4:4 UHD content color graded for P3 past 24hz. I honestly don't see a reason why we'd be getting content higher/better than this for quite a few years. I still feel like there's little to complain about. I suppose the only thing you'd really be missing out on is gaming at 60hz with higher than 8bit color, but still you need quite a beastly PC to game at this resolution. Few people have PCs fast enough to enable high details at UHD and get respectable framerates.

Last edited by Seegs108; 01-27-2015 at 03:45 PM.
post #10915 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Gaming? I go to Vegas for gaming and I need a lot lot more than 12 bits for that.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #10916 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's 18Gbps not Ghz. But your time frame is way off. The 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 chipsets have only been available in mass quantities for a few months now. So people would have been waiting more than year extra to get the upgrade, not a few months. I think if Sony released the 600ES with it's bandwidth advantage (even though it's the more limited 10.2Gbps chipset) with support for Sony's 4K download service and not offer the 1000ES an upgrade to take advantage of the same content and throughput as the 600ES the 1000ES would have been furious. So while you may say this in hindsight, take a moment and put yourself in your shoes 1.5 years ago. At the time, if Sony said "We're going to make 1000ES owners wait more than year to upgrade your units" how upset would this crowd have been?
If they said wait another 6-9 months for the very reasons being discussed, absolutely we would have waited. What are we watching with the upgrade now? 1080 content....

post #10917 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What are we watching with the upgrade now? 1080 content....
Then why are you upset? Also, how would that have made 600ES owners feel? After all that wasn't a "cheap" projector either. I suspect it would have made many 600ES owners feel resentment towards Sony and they may have ended up being forced into offering 600ES owners an upgrade too. I think taking the middle ground was an appropriate response from Sony. I guess I'll pose this question; even if it did have the 18Gbps chipset would you take advantage of it and send higher than 8bit 60hz signals to it? Like I said, in the next 2-3 years I don't see 60hz content greater than 8bit color being created other than perhaps for 4K video games. Consoles can't do 4K gaming so it would only be the PC gaming market who would be missing out. And from what I remember most of this crowd don't seem to be particularly fond of PCs.

What content are you missing out on that the current implementation cannot provide you? I realize it's something that would be nice to have just in case, but I feel this is a realistic question to be asked.

Last edited by Seegs108; 01-27-2015 at 04:49 PM.
post #10918 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Then why are you upset? Also, how would that have made 600ES owners feel? After all that wasn't a "cheap" projector either. I suspect it would have made many 600ES owners feel resentment towards Sony and they may have ended up being forced into offering 600ES owners an upgrade too. I think taking the middle ground was an appropriate response from Sony. I guess I'll pose this question; even if it did have the 18Gbps chipset would you take advantage of it and send higher than 8bit 60hz signals to it? Like I said, in the next 2-3 years I don't see 60hz content greater than 8bit color being created other than perhaps for 4K video games. Consoles can't do 4K gaming so it would only be the PC gaming market who would be missing out. And from what I remember most of this crowd don't seem to be particularly fond of PCs.

What content are you missing out on that the current implementation cannot provide you? I realize it's something that would be nice to have just in case, but I feel this is a realistic question to be asked.
It's not about now, it about how the upgrade would have been much more beneficial in the long-term (and for similar sheckles), had they simply waited - and with no short-term negative given the paucity of content right now.

It's not end of the world stuff, I just dislike stupid when it can be avoided.

post #10919 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
It's not about now, it about how the upgrade would have been much more beneficial in the long-term (and for similar sheckles), had they simply waited - and with no short-term negative given the paucity of content right now.

It's not end of the world stuff, I just dislike stupid when it can be avoided.

Forgive me but I'm still trying to understand why you can buy a VPL-VW1100ES in Japan for less than half the MSRP in the US. And a VPL-VW500ES which is the same as the 600ES here, sells for less than the price of the VPL-VW300/350ES here. The whole issue would sting much less if you had Japanese pricing...
post #10920 of 11580 Old 01-27-2015, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Man. This is like a shrink and his/her patients in a group therapy session. People stating that the are upset, angry, people stating why they are (the actions of an entity they have no control over), and others trying to calm them down, that they really aren't that bad off, and softly bitch slapping them into reality. And it does absolutely no good.
OzHDHT likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com

Last edited by mark haflich; 01-27-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page