post #10951 of 10961 Old 01-28-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
All their present 4K projectors are 10.2 Gbps, the real issue was providing for HDCP 2.2 which all the 4K projectors have as well as being able to do 60 at 4:2:0 to meet the voluntary CEA standards so that Joe and Mary know their display is truly UHD. 10.2 vs 18 Gbps really will matter little to many here but it will to some. If it does, sell your projector now and wait for a year or two. there are may cheap 1080p projectors that can hold you over.
In a way, I think you're making my point. All their projectors are 10.2! My hypothesis was that they could have but didn't hold off a littler longer to deliver an 18 GB upgrade and new projectors. It was likely only a matter of delaying a few months or some planning ahead to acquire 18 GB chips sooner. As I said, if they weren't so much in the red, they probably could have done this with minimal impact. There's still really no competition in the 4K projector market, so why rush out 10.2 GB units?

As for buying a cheap 1080p, I already had a very nice Epson 6030 from a certain local shop (that talked up the 1000 later). Why the hell would I take a step back now? As long as the 1100 can handle coming 4K BDs with the current motherboard, I'm satisfied. I'm just saying that Sony probably could have waited a little longer to provide a more future-proof 18 GB solution. I think that's all anyone else is saying too.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10952 of 10961 Old 01-28-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

And if Sony truly cared about early adopting FMP owners, they'd get their act together with their UHD download content. Even without improved color, I see no technical reason why most of their new releases can't look as good as the free shorts. They could even provide them in P3 with more detail and HD sound. Or are we to expect that the first releases of UHD-BD from Sony will look no better than what we're getting on the X1 (or X10)? If that's the case, then UHD-BD will be DOA, especially if priced higher than BDs.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

post #10953 of 10961 Old 01-28-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 670
I doubt it would have been a wait of only a few months and why wait at all, 18Gbps will not be needed by most for a loooonnng loooooonnnnnng time.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; 01-28-2015 at 07:53 PM.
post #10954 of 10961 Old 01-28-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
In a way, I think you're making my point. All their projectors are 10.2! My hypothesis was that they could have but didn't hold off a littler longer to deliver an 18 GB upgrade and new projectors. It was likely only a matter of delaying a few months or some planning ahead to acquire 18 GB chips sooner. As I said, if they weren't so much in the red, they probably could have done this with minimal impact. There's still really no competition in the 4K projector market, so why rush out 10.2 GB units?

As for buying a cheap 1080p, I already had a very nice Epson 6030 from a certain local shop (that talked up the 1000 later). Why the hell would I take a step back now? As long as the 1100 can handle coming 4K BDs with the current motherboard, I'm satisfied. I'm just saying that Sony probably could have waited a little longer to provide a more future-proof 18 GB solution. I think that's all anyone else is saying too.
What can of worms does it open up, if Sony had waited to provide this upgrade. The upgrade probably would not happen until this spring at the earliest and some owner's projectors would be out of warranty. You seem to be under the impression that Sony could have done this work months ago. I am not under that same impression. If that was the case, I am sure that Lumagen would already have an HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 video processor. Believe me, Lumagen is not holding it back for any reason.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #10955 of 10961 Old 01-28-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
I doubt it would have been a wait of only a few minutes and why wait at all, 18Gbps will not be needed by most for a loooonnng loooooonnnnnng time by most.
I hope that you're correct and if so, it's a moot point and good to know. (It's also what I thought and have no reason to doubt you either.)

However, they still need to improve the quality of their download content and open it up to other studios too.

...Steve

Last edited by stevenjw; 01-28-2015 at 08:10 PM.
post #10956 of 10961 Old 01-28-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
What can of worms does it open up, if Sony had waited to provide this upgrade. The upgrade probably would not happen until this spring at the earliest and some owner's projectors would be out of warranty. You seem to be under the impression that Sony could have done this work months ago. I am not under that same impression. If that was the case, I am sure that Lumagen would already have an HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 video processor. Believe me, Lumagen is not holding it back for any reason.
My assumption is based on Sony being in the black and carrying as much weight as Panasonic, LG, or Sony of old. I was under the impression that Panasonic had 18 GB for a while now, almost as long as the time of the MB upgrades. Why not Sony? My understanding is that Panny currently has UHD displays that support Level A. Same for LG. So how is that Sony doesn't? Lumagen is not in the same category as the big players, so using them as an example doesn't carry much weight. Except maybe to point out how far Sony has fallen. Lumagen may get 18 GB chips before Sony.

...Steve

post #10957 of 10961 Old 01-28-2015, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
My assumption is based on Sony being in the black and carrying as much weight as Panasonic, LG, or Sony of old. I was under the impression that Panasonic had 18 GB for a while now, almost as long as the time of the MB upgrades. Why not Sony? My understanding is that Panny currently has UHD displays that support Level A. Same for LG. So how is that Sony doesn't? Lumagen is not in the same category as the big players, so using them as an example doesn't carry much weight. Except maybe to point out how far Sony has fallen. Lumagen may get 18 GB chips before Sony.
Panasonic and especially LG are MUCH larger in terms of panel production compared to Sony. It makes more sense for LG and Panasonic to have these chips created first and it makes sense for LG and Panasonic to have their own solution to keep manufacturing costs down. They don't have to pay an extra fee to buy a third party or competitor's solution. Sony doesn't have enough marketshare to justify such things or at least this is my opinion as to why they don't have their own solution. Do they even manufacture their own LCDs anymore? I think this is why it took a third party company, in this case Silicon Image, before you saw anyone else come out with full spec HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 compatible products. I doubt LG and Panasonic wanted to lose the advantage their products had at the time. When profit margins on flat panel are as low as they've ever been, having even a small advantage like this can make a world of difference in sales.
post #10958 of 10961 Old 01-28-2015, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Based on volume, Lumagen would be at the back of the line for the 18 gbps chips (unless supply/demand equilibrium has already been reached)

Lumagen should also be in no rush to release a 4k processor. It's way too early for them, and it would behoove them (as it would have Sony) to wait a while until the jello chills.
post #10959 of 10961 Old 01-28-2015, 08:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
I hope that you're correct and if so, it's a moot point and good to know. (It's also what I thought and have no reason to doubt you either.)

However, they still need to improve the quality of their download content and open it up to other studios too.
Don't think you will get any argument there.
stevenjw likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #10960 of 10961 Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Panasonic and especially LG are MUCH larger in terms of panel production compared to Sony. ... Sony doesn't have enough market share to justify such things
And who's fault is that? Sony's of course and that's my point. If Sony had it's collective $#!+ together, they wouldn't have lost market share, they'd still be in the display business, and they'd have had the 18 GB chips on hand for their projectors. And we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I just hope they stay in business long term because their projectors are very, very good and we all need a repair center just in case.

...Steve

post #10961 of 10961 Unread Today, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dummie Question:
Isn't the Lumagen or any other 4k Scaler a good point to look positv is the future ?

To display nativ 4k on the Sony we need a new Scaler anyway, so if used this new Scaler,he can handle /Transport the 18G to the Sony Panel, so the VW 1000 can show it ?

Offtopic: I have a VW 1000 still without Upgrade, do I need the Upgrade for display Netflix oder Amazon in UHD, then i have the Mediaplayer ?
In Europa Sony FMP -X5.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page