post #11041 of 11069 Old 02-12-2015, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
yes the settings are all a bit scarce on information so it all looks like guessing for answers on what they all really do
I am not using any 3D and I don't think any of these settings are actually related to 3D anyway...

I was going to post, but Seegs beat me to it, I sleep at night, he doesn't , that the smooth gradation function introduces dither to reduce banding should one see banding in the image not caused by the bulb. There is a minor band always present caused by the bulb and its protection circuits. YES YOURS (ALL OF YOU) has that banding. However, watching content one won't see it unless they are looking for it. This has been discussed long ago and I am going to discuss that any further.

Certain images can create banding. This is caused by there simply not being enough bits to address all the colors in the particular and the transition colors needed to show a smooth transition between colors is not there. So there is a jump in colors while the original shot frame was smooth because it contained the particular transitions. Its not a fault of the original shot frame. Its a fault of not having enough different colors in the displayed because of not having enough bits to show all the colors in the original. The solution besides buying a higher bit projector when they come out is to add some dithering noise which solves the problem nicely as Seegs explains further.

Now I don't do it because I have never noticed any banding other than the band caused by the bulb and that is minor and NOT correctable by adding dither. You can read about adding dither and its effects. It does have some negatives with regards to how the image would look if presented by a display with more bits but you would never notice and the dither would eliminate any banding caused by certain images if you ever see such banding. Re 3D? Through the glasses there is a less than 0 chance that you would ever see any banding.

As for black level adjust in the expert settings, I think it might slightly adjust the gamma curve at the dark end. The effect? Changing the blackness of the low end at the cost of black level detail or the other way depending on the setting and which way you go. The changes are very minor and next to impossible to determine what one likes better. Not enough change to make any real difference except maybe on test patterns. On 3d? Please. Not a chance of noticing anything through the Sony glasses. Color correction control? I have never used it. I correct with my Radiance. I simply don't care about that control

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; 02-12-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11042 of 11069 Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
On my VW1100ES I use the 'Reference' setting with the Dynamic Iris on 'Full Auto' and the Lamp on 'Low'.

I noticed that any increase in RC Resolution above 'Min' gives a fake and harsh aspect to the picture, and makes the film grain look very digital. A Resolution value of '5' is already horrible. So I set the Resolution to 'Min'.

As for Noise Filtering, the Reference default value of '30' provides an image with the same level of softness as with the RC set to 'Off'. This means that, sitting sufficiently far away to not notice the jagged edges when RC is off, turning the RC on and off will not produce any noticeable change in perceived sharpness. I personally prefer a picture with the least amount of video manipulation, so I set the Noise Filtering to 'Min'. In this case, turning the RC on provides a very slight increase in perceived sharpness.

In summary, I have the RC always on and set both the Resolution and the Noise Filtering to 'Min'. What does everybody else think or use?

RC at 2 and NR at min. no Darbee.......................yet

dj
post #11043 of 11069 Old 02-15-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone seen an HDMI handshake issue before with their projector(I have a 1000 with the 1100 upgrade board)? i just started getting one where the projector would flicker and not lock onto the signal. If I plugged the source directly in to the projector instead of through the prepro it would go away. However, with the prepro in the chain, it would flicker again. The first time, I had to literally power down and unplug the projector to get it to play nice. The second time I unplugged the preopro. I also swapped HDMI cables which did nothing. The prepro is an older Onkyo and I seem to recall there being HDMI issues with Onkyo. I only hope its not the projector as I really don't want to send it in.
post #11044 of 11069 Old 02-15-2015, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29 View Post
Has anyone seen an HDMI handshake issue before with their projector(I have a 1000 with the 1100 upgrade board)? i just started getting one where the projector would flicker and not lock onto the signal. If I plugged the source directly in to the projector instead of through the prepro it would go away. However, with the prepro in the chain, it would flicker again. The first time, I had to literally power down and unplug the projector to get it to play nice. The second time I unplugged the preopro. I also swapped HDMI cables which did nothing. The prepro is an older Onkyo and I seem to recall there being HDMI issues with Onkyo. I only hope its not the projector as I really don't want to send it in.
Many Onkyo's did have craptastic HDMI, and since you took the Onkyo out of the chain the signal was fine you are answering your own question as to where the problem likely lies.

Check to see if the Onto is doing any video processing, and disable it (direct or through or whatever they call it to disable any VP functions) and see if that helps. Is it happening with any source, or a particular one? That combo may be a problem. Switch ports around. Change cables. You know the drill...

Last Listened to: "Say Goodbye" from Morning Phase - Beck (Rating 8/10) • Last Watched: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 6.5/10)
Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k/Yosemite
post #11045 of 11069 Old 02-15-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Many Onkyo's did have craptastic HDMI, and since you took the Onkyo out of the chain the signal was fine you are answering your own question as to where the problem likely lies.

Check to see if the Onto is doing any video processing, and disable it (direct or through or whatever they call it to disable any VP functions) and see if that helps. Is it happening with any source, or a particular one? That combo may be a problem. Switch ports around. Change cables. You know the drill...
It was on all sources. I have the Onkyo on pass through but it still has to do an HDMI handshake. The odd one was that I could plug the output of the Onkyo into a tv and all was fine but would flicker when I went back to the projector. I am honestly not sure how to isolate it without replacing the Onkyo and waiting for it to act up. I know Onkyos have been known to have problems but am not sure if people have had failures with the Sony.
post #11046 of 11069 Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post
RC at 2 and NR at min. no Darbee.......................yet

dj
Does anyone know if a 1000 modified to a 1100 is exactly the same as a 1100 new off the shelf?

Last edited by RapalloAV; 02-15-2015 at 11:03 PM.
post #11047 of 11069 Old 02-15-2015, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Does anyone know if a 1000 modified to a 1100 is exactly the same as a 1100 new off the shelf?
Considering when you get the upgrade the Info screen says "VPL-VW1100ES" I'd say that's the case.

But, depending on how old your unit is there could have been production line changes made to newer units that the older units didn't receive. Overall performance should be identical however.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #11048 of 11069 Old 02-15-2015, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Considering when you get the upgrade the Info screen says "VPL-VW1100ES" I'd say that's the case.

But, depending on how old your unit is there could have been production line changes made to newer units that the older units didn't receive. Overall performance should be identical however.
My 1100 is new, Im just wondering if RC is any different on a "new" 1100 than an upgraded 1000?
post #11049 of 11069 Old 02-15-2015, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The motherboard is the same between the two so RC will be the same as they also get the same firmware files.

post #11050 of 11069 Old 02-16-2015, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
One german User in the Darbeethread of hifi-forum.de reported that the RC have changed after he did the Upgrade to VW 1100.
He wrote this in conclusion with the "teamwork" RC and Darbee, so the RC is more sensitiv now

I will do the Upgrade this day to and see if there is any Difference
post #11051 of 11069 Old 02-16-2015, 07:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk44 View Post
One german User in the Darbeethread of hifi-forum.de reported that the RC have changed after he did the Upgrade to VW 1100.
He wrote this in conclusion with the "teamwork" RC and Darbee, so the RC is more sensitiv now

I will do the Upgrade this day to and see if there is any Difference
RC did change going from 1000 to upgraded 1100. The question asked is if upgraded 1100 and new 1100 are the same. They should be if both are running the same firmware.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #11052 of 11069 Old 02-16-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Hey Mike................

Does AVS Store sell bulbs for 1100.............................I have close to 1500 hours on current bulb, have a new spare, but I roll like Noah............want everything in pairs!
post #11053 of 11069 Old 02-16-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Hey Mike................

Does AVS Store sell bulbs for 1100.............................I have close to 1500 hours on current bulb, have a new spare, but I roll like Noah............want everything in pairs!
Have them in stock. Can even sell them two by two.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #11054 of 11069 Old 02-16-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Have them in stock. Can even sell them two by two.
Thanks.....................good to know! Be calling soon............
post #11055 of 11069 Old 02-16-2015, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
My 1100 is new, Im just wondering if RC is any different on a "new" 1100 than an upgraded 1000?
I went from a factory 1100 back to an upgraded 1000 after about 7 months. I seriously couldn't pick any differences to RC between the two. If there was, there would only be a 'bee's dick' in it, too small for me to tell.

post #11056 of 11069 Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sony is pondering abandoning the TV biz. If so, where does that leave us?

http://news.yahoo.com/sony-announce-...--finance.html
post #11057 of 11069 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosa View Post
Sony is pondering abandoning the TV biz. If so, where does that leave us?

http://news.yahoo.com/sony-announce-...--finance.html
Short answer - JVC?

Long answer - this came up some time ago, and the question was if the projectors are connected more to the "TV/consumer" group or the professional/business group (which offers lots of projectors). If the VPL line is considered profitable, and part of the larger professional group, it might very well survive.

Alternatively, they could sell the division if there was anything worth monetizing.

Last Listened to: "Say Goodbye" from Morning Phase - Beck (Rating 8/10) • Last Watched: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 6.5/10)
Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k/Yosemite
post #11058 of 11069 Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Short answer - JVC?

Long answer - this came up some time ago, and the question was if the projectors are connected more to the "TV/consumer" group or the professional/business group (which offers lots of projectors). If the VPL line is considered profitable, and part of the larger professional group, it might very well survive.

Alternatively, they could sell the division if there was anything worth monetizing.
Yes, I remember our prior discussion. Doesn't inspire much confidence when you have multiple Sony projectors, TVs, Pucks, etc. - thinking about future support. I would also guess that it would be tough for Sony to push current sales if an exit is in their future. Not to mention any tech advances and research.
post #11059 of 11069 Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosa View Post
Yes, I remember our prior discussion. Doesn't inspire much confidence when you have multiple Sony projectors, TVs, Pucks, etc. - thinking about future support. I would also guess that it would be tough for Sony to push current sales if an exit is in their future. Not to mention any tech advances and research.
I suppose if they just go out of business, we are screwed....but if they remain an active business, I think there are some guidelines about providing outstanding warranty support and repair. It would also behoove them to do so if they have any interest whatsoever continuing to sell (whatever is left to sell) to consumers in the US

My gut tells me the projectors survive, either under Sony or sold to another entity...

Last edited by thrang; Yesterday at 01:06 PM.
post #11060 of 11069 Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hey guys -- guy in my neck of the woods is selling a 1000ES (not upgraded) with about 1000 hours on the bulb.

Couple of questions:
  1. Is the 1100ES upgrade still available in the US? If yes -- how much does it cost?
  2. How long do the bulbs last in these PJs and what is the replacement cost appoximately?
Thank you!
post #11061 of 11069 Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

I'm not sure if the upgrade is still available. You may be able to get it updated if you send it in.

The bulbs are listed at 2000-3000 hours and cost ~$600.

Last edited by Chosen; Yesterday at 02:36 PM.
post #11062 of 11069 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Hey guys -- guy in my neck of the woods is selling a 1000ES (not upgraded) with about 1000 hours on the bulb.

Couple of questions:
  1. Is the 1100ES upgrade still available in the US? If yes -- how much does it cost?
  2. How long do the bulbs last in these PJs and what is the replacement cost appoximately?
Thank you!
If the upgrade is still available, the problem will be getting it installed.

Bulb can go much longer than 1000 hours but there are lots of variables involved, including how often it was run on high power, you'll pay probably $650 or so for a bulb.

Matt
post #11063 of 11069 Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen View Post
I'm not sure if the upgrade is still available. You may be able to get it updated if you send it in.

The bulbs are listed at 2000-3000 hours and cost ~$600.
Thank both for the info. We'll see what happens.
post #11064 of 11069 Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Couple of questions:
Thank you!
I don't think the upgrade is still available. If it is still available, then plan on adding around $2,500 plus shipping to your cost.

post #11065 of 11069 Old Today, 04:03 AM

i buy the my vw 1000 as a demo incl. the Upgrade, Sony will pick it up this week.
So in Europe the Upgrade still can be done
post #11066 of 11069 Old Today, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe someone mentioned that the upgrade in the US now necessitates you to send in your projector to the Laredo, TX service center. I believe Mike has the figure correct in that it will cost the end user around $2500 plus shipping to do the upgrade.

post #11067 of 11069 Old Today, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I believe someone mentioned that the upgrade in the US now necessitates you to send in your projector to the Laredo, TX service center. I believe Mike has the figure correct in that it will cost the end user around $2500 plus shipping to do the upgrade.
Thanks for the info. We will see what happens.
post #11068 of 11069 Old Today, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks for the info. We will see what happens.
I am checking to see if still available.

Added
Yes, still available. You order through a dealer, get the kit and then ship projector off to Tech Data for the install.

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; Today at 04:49 PM.
post #11069 of 11069 Unread Today, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
I am checking to see if still available.

Added
Yes, still available. You order through a dealer, get the kit and then ship projector off to Tech Data for the install.
Thank you - you have gone above and beyond. I will keep it in mind.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page