Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 375 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11221 of 11230 Old 04-13-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 1,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkrace View Post
Thanks guys, I think I'll wait a while longer to see if something new comes up. I've never liked the VW1100 at various shows/dealers and couldn't understand the appeal it has apart from 4K res. This weekend my friend replaced his sim2 with one and I was shocked at how good it looked, it was like a completely different projector from all past setups I've seen.

I'm a fan of 3 chip dlp and didn't imagine leaving that tech. but the Sony comes very close. For my tastes if they can improve ansi contrast/motion a tad more it would close the gap significantly and exceed dlp in other areas (unless laser dlp takes a huge leap forward)... the price point on the Sony is very appealing too and think it will be a fraction of what 1st gen 4K dlp laser units will cost.
It can be hard to judge a projector like the 1100 properly if the set is say at a show or even a dealer that doesn't really know what they're doing. Also, it's hard to know what settings they are running, have they matched up a a good screen quality and size to best show it off etc.

I've def got no issues with contrast between my 1100 and 500. Motion is also something I've heard people comment on, but I really question what they're on about frankly given the results I see on both my Sonys never draw my attention with motion, even in the occasion times I do some gaming with either of them.

OzHDHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11222 of 11230 Old 04-13-2015, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevenjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: DC Metro area USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 37
About the only thing I'd like the Sony to improve upon would be better inky native blacks. As it is, I'm still very happy and have 1200 hours on my lamp. Oh yeah, I wish that they'd release some standout 4K content for their servers. Right now, they're not much better than BDs. When compared to some true 4K shorts, you can see that there's room for improvement.
hermosa likes this.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V
 
My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear
stevenjw is offline  
post #11223 of 11230 Old 04-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Member
 
RS3771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While I'm eagerly waiting for the UHD Blu rays and the UHD Blu Ray players to hit the market by holiday season this year, I'm worried about not being able to V-Stretch the 4K video since Sony can't v-stretch it. I use an ISCO 1.25x a-lens to generate a 14-ft wide image currently. And I've had tough luck with using Lumagen 2041 -the number of glitches and problems with finicky HDMI cables to random sparkles to any and every problem under the sun has made me remove Lumagen from the loop and all is well. What options would likely be there for V-stretching 4K video later this year (alternatives to Lumagen)?
RS3771 is offline  
post #11224 of 11230 Old 04-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
It can be hard to judge a projector like the 1100 properly if the set is say at a show or even a dealer that doesn't really know what they're doing. Also, it's hard to know what settings they are running, have they matched up a a good screen quality and size to best show it off etc.

I've def got no issues with contrast between my 1100 and 500. Motion is also something I've heard people comment on, but I really question what they're on about frankly given the results I see on both my Sonys never draw my attention with motion, even in the occasion times I do some gaming with either of them.
This was eye opening though because I've seen it about a dozen times and my friends setup is in a different league. I guess there are too many variables to control.

Gaming is top notch on it. What I meant regarding motion is primarily with film, dlp appears more natural/solid and the image quality is a tad more life like if that makes sense. Lack of V-Stretch would also be an issue for me currently.
Starkrace is offline  
post #11225 of 11230 Old 04-13-2015, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 1,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkrace View Post
This was eye opening though because I've seen it about a dozen times and my friends setup is in a different league. I guess there are too many variables to control.

Gaming is top notch on it. What I meant regarding motion is primarily with film, dlp appears more natural/solid and the image quality is a tad more life like if that makes sense. Lack of V-Stretch would also be an issue for me currently.
Yeah, very easy for settings to be screwed up or projector simply put into a less than idea preset at the press of a button.

Yeah I've heard people say that. I've had SXRD since the Qualia 004. I did view a high-end Sim model once a little while ago while auditioning a particular speaker and noticed the picture was interesting. To me it had that DLP thing where contrast was excellent with plenty of 'pop', but the image looked at little too digital and not 'film-like' enough. So I can see where DLP enthusiasts want to see that with a 4K like the 1100. Me and I think other SXRD guys value that 'film-like' smoothness over the crisp digital detail of DLP. With V-Stretch, I run 3 different screens all scope nowadays. For the 1100 and 500, I run a preset memory for scope material. I've never been worried about adding lens for it and haven't felt like I've compromised my viewing experience for my 138" and 126" dia screen respectively -although I know some will insist it is.

OzHDHT is offline  
post #11226 of 11230 Old 04-14-2015, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
G-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
To me it had that DLP thing where contrast was excellent with plenty of 'pop', but the image looked at little too digital and not 'film-like' enough. So I can see where DLP enthusiasts want to see that with a 4K like the 1100. Me and I think other SXRD guys value that 'film-like' smoothness over the crisp digital detail of DLP.
+1
OzHDHT likes this.
G-Rex is offline  
post #11227 of 11230 Old Today, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 4,472
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Ok......

Can someone fill me in on HDMI 2.0 already outdated? Recent announcement of 2.0a spec has me worried!

After one year, board update is redundant? If so......
doublewing11 is offline  
post #11228 of 11230 Old Today, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 5,654
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Ok......

Can someone fill me in on HDMI 2.0 already outdated? Recent announcement of 2.0a spec has me worried!

After one year, board update is redundant? If so......
The main purpose of 2.0A is to add official support for HDR. Since this projector, and most likely no home theater oriented projector for many years, will not be able to do HDR, it doesn't really matter if it has the new HDMI version.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!
Seegs108 is online now  
post #11229 of 11230 Old Today, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 4,472
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The main purpose of 2.0A is to add official support for HDR. Since this projector, and most likely no home theater oriented projector for many years, will not be able to do HDR, it doesn't really matter if it has the new HDMI version.

Thanks...........

Makes perfect sense.........someone brought announcement to my attention without elaboration.
doublewing11 is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off