Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 375 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #11221 of 11243 Unread 04-13-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkrace View Post
Thanks guys, I think I'll wait a while longer to see if something new comes up. I've never liked the VW1100 at various shows/dealers and couldn't understand the appeal it has apart from 4K res. This weekend my friend replaced his sim2 with one and I was shocked at how good it looked, it was like a completely different projector from all past setups I've seen.

I'm a fan of 3 chip dlp and didn't imagine leaving that tech. but the Sony comes very close. For my tastes if they can improve ansi contrast/motion a tad more it would close the gap significantly and exceed dlp in other areas (unless laser dlp takes a huge leap forward)... the price point on the Sony is very appealing too and think it will be a fraction of what 1st gen 4K dlp laser units will cost.
It can be hard to judge a projector like the 1100 properly if the set is say at a show or even a dealer that doesn't really know what they're doing. Also, it's hard to know what settings they are running, have they matched up a a good screen quality and size to best show it off etc.

I've def got no issues with contrast between my 1100 and 500. Motion is also something I've heard people comment on, but I really question what they're on about frankly given the results I see on both my Sonys never draw my attention with motion, even in the occasion times I do some gaming with either of them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11222 of 11243 Unread 04-13-2015, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 39
About the only thing I'd like the Sony to improve upon would be better inky native blacks. As it is, I'm still very happy and have 1200 hours on my lamp. Oh yeah, I wish that they'd release some standout 4K content for their servers. Right now, they're not much better than BDs. When compared to some true 4K shorts, you can see that there's room for improvement.
mark haflich and hermosa like this.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear
post #11223 of 11243 Unread 04-13-2015, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While I'm eagerly waiting for the UHD Blu rays and the UHD Blu Ray players to hit the market by holiday season this year, I'm worried about not being able to V-Stretch the 4K video since Sony can't v-stretch it. I use an ISCO 1.25x a-lens to generate a 14-ft wide image currently. And I've had tough luck with using Lumagen 2041 -the number of glitches and problems with finicky HDMI cables to random sparkles to any and every problem under the sun has made me remove Lumagen from the loop and all is well. What options would likely be there for V-stretching 4K video later this year (alternatives to Lumagen)?
post #11224 of 11243 Unread 04-13-2015, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
It can be hard to judge a projector like the 1100 properly if the set is say at a show or even a dealer that doesn't really know what they're doing. Also, it's hard to know what settings they are running, have they matched up a a good screen quality and size to best show it off etc.

I've def got no issues with contrast between my 1100 and 500. Motion is also something I've heard people comment on, but I really question what they're on about frankly given the results I see on both my Sonys never draw my attention with motion, even in the occasion times I do some gaming with either of them.
This was eye opening though because I've seen it about a dozen times and my friends setup is in a different league. I guess there are too many variables to control.

Gaming is top notch on it. What I meant regarding motion is primarily with film, dlp appears more natural/solid and the image quality is a tad more life like if that makes sense. Lack of V-Stretch would also be an issue for me currently.
post #11225 of 11243 Unread 04-13-2015, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkrace View Post
This was eye opening though because I've seen it about a dozen times and my friends setup is in a different league. I guess there are too many variables to control.

Gaming is top notch on it. What I meant regarding motion is primarily with film, dlp appears more natural/solid and the image quality is a tad more life like if that makes sense. Lack of V-Stretch would also be an issue for me currently.
Yeah, very easy for settings to be screwed up or projector simply put into a less than idea preset at the press of a button.

Yeah I've heard people say that. I've had SXRD since the Qualia 004. I did view a high-end Sim model once a little while ago while auditioning a particular speaker and noticed the picture was interesting. To me it had that DLP thing where contrast was excellent with plenty of 'pop', but the image looked at little too digital and not 'film-like' enough. So I can see where DLP enthusiasts want to see that with a 4K like the 1100. Me and I think other SXRD guys value that 'film-like' smoothness over the crisp digital detail of DLP. With V-Stretch, I run 3 different screens all scope nowadays. For the 1100 and 500, I run a preset memory for scope material. I've never been worried about adding lens for it and haven't felt like I've compromised my viewing experience for my 138" and 126" dia screen respectively -although I know some will insist it is.

post #11226 of 11243 Unread 04-14-2015, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
To me it had that DLP thing where contrast was excellent with plenty of 'pop', but the image looked at little too digital and not 'film-like' enough. So I can see where DLP enthusiasts want to see that with a 4K like the 1100. Me and I think other SXRD guys value that 'film-like' smoothness over the crisp digital detail of DLP.
+1
OzHDHT likes this.
post #11227 of 11243 Unread 04-18-2015, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Ok......

Can someone fill me in on HDMI 2.0 already outdated? Recent announcement of 2.0a spec has me worried!

After one year, board update is redundant? If so......
post #11228 of 11243 Unread 04-18-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Ok......

Can someone fill me in on HDMI 2.0 already outdated? Recent announcement of 2.0a spec has me worried!

After one year, board update is redundant? If so......
The main purpose of 2.0A is to add official support for HDR. Since this projector, and most likely no home theater oriented projector for many years, will not be able to do HDR, it doesn't really matter if it has the new HDMI version.
mark haflich likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #11229 of 11243 Unread 04-18-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The main purpose of 2.0A is to add official support for HDR. Since this projector, and most likely no home theater oriented projector for many years, will not be able to do HDR, it doesn't really matter if it has the new HDMI version.

Thanks...........

Makes perfect sense.........someone brought announcement to my attention without elaboration.
post #11230 of 11243 Unread 04-19-2015, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
To me it had that DLP thing where contrast was excellent with plenty of 'pop', but the image looked at little too digital and not 'film-like' enough. Me and I think other SXRD guys value that 'film-like' smoothness over the crisp digital detail of DLP.
I could never have said this better. When I fire up my 1100ES, I'm in Heaven. No other technology could reach the film-like picture appearance of SXRD. For someone like me, who uses the HT for watching films almost exclusively, the DLP technology is a no go, because it has that weird digital feel.

As for the not-so-perfect blacks produced by the SXRD panels, remember that film is a transparency medium and perfect blacks are never fully achievable in a cinema either.
mark haflich, joerod and OzHDHT like this.
post #11231 of 11243 Unread 04-19-2015, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
I could never have said this better. When I fire up my 1100ES, I'm in Heaven. No other technology could reach the film-like picture appearance of SXRD. For someone like me, who uses the HT for watching films almost exclusively, the DLP technology is a no go, because it has that weird digital feel.

As for the not-so-perfect blacks produced by the SXRD panels, remember that film is a transparency medium and perfect blacks are never fully achievable in a cinema either.
Spot on there. I think a lot of DLP guys get so hooked up in the look of DLP and quest for perfect blacks, that they forget that a lot of other guys like ourselves actually prize the similarities to film that SXRD has with its image quality.

post #11232 of 11243 Unread 04-19-2015, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaharT View Post
I'm not sure what to do myself - I'm just about to place an order for the 1100. It will be imported to here (Israel), and cost more than MSRP due to taxes.

I'm moving in to a new home in two months, and was planning - and would very much like to - have everything installed ahead of moving in.

But... if the next generation announcement is right around the corner, I'd really kick myself for having placed an order just too soon....
Shalom! In my opinion, the 1100ES will be good for a few years from now on, especially for watching films at 24 fps. Historically for Sony, the first generation projectors were very expensive but their quality was high. Subsequent, cheaper models may have had some minor improvements but some important features were also dropped. For instance:

1. Qualia 004 -> Ruby (VPL-VW100), half price but no more high-quality exchangeable lenses -> Pearl (VPL-VW50), half price but no more Xenon lamp.

2. VPL-VW1100ES -> VPL-VW500ES, half price but no more high-quality all-glass lens and fewer lumens -> VPL-VW300ES, half price but no iris and fewer lumens.

It's always a tradeoff between price and features but any projector you'd buy at a given time should last you for at least five years. The biggest improvement in new projectors may be the introduction of 18 Gbps HDMI 2.0 which would allow passing of video signals at 50/60 fps, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 colour encoding and 10 or 12-bit colour depth. I sincerely don't think we'd see signal sources like that in the next few years.

So, if you've got the budget, you should be fine with a VPL-VW1100ES. I have it and, if I say that the picture it throws is gorgeous, it is an understatement.
doublewing11 likes this.
post #11233 of 11243 Unread 04-19-2015, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
issue with vw1100

got my new vw1100 and while watching i experience a weird issue. see attached photo. it happens very fast less than a second in all movies.

my hdmi cable is monoprice 50 feet active redmere. my player is a popcorn hour a410. any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony vw1100 problem.PNG
Views:	31
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	675577  
post #11234 of 11243 Unread Yesterday, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_88 View Post
got my new vw1100 and while watching i experience a weird issue. see attached photo. it happens very fast less than a second in all movies.

my hdmi cable is monoprice 50 feet active redmere. my player is a popcorn hour a410. any suggestions?
50ft is a seriously long run for even active HDMI. That's definitely a sync error. Does it happen on all HDMI sources or have you only tried the popcorn hour?

post #11235 of 11243 Unread Yesterday, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
50ft is a seriously long run for even active HDMI. That's definitely a sync error. Does it happen on all HDMI sources or have you only tried the popcorn hour?
haven't tried any other sources yet.

what do you recommend for installations 50 feet or more?
post #11236 of 11243 Unread Yesterday, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think most people here who have had to cope with that distance have gone with HDMI over fiber optic. I've never had to deal with more than about 26 foot of HDMI in any of my systems.

post #11237 of 11243 Unread Yesterday, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Here you go. It's good for 300 plus feet and supports HDCP 2.2

http://www.libertycable.com/products...l-and-ethernet
post #11238 of 11243 Unread Yesterday, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Here you go. It's good for 300 plus feet and supports HDCP 2.2

http://www.libertycable.com/products...l-and-ethernet
The only issue is that it's not full 18Gbps. Though I suppose because the VW1100ES can't accept the full 18Gbps throughput of HDMI 2.0 it doesn't really matter.

I suspect for new models announced at CEDIA it will matter more and will necessitate you change that out if you want full compatibility with whatever projector you swap out the 1100es with down the road.
post #11239 of 11243 Unread Yesterday, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The only issue is that it's not full 18Gbps. Though I suppose because the VW1100ES can't accept the full 18Gbps throughput of HDMI 2.0 it doesn't really matter.

I suspect for new models announced at CEDIA it will matter more and will necessitate you change that out if you want full compatibility with whatever projector you swap out the 1100es with down the road.

If wishes were fishes, we'd fry some...

Sure, but it's a solution for todays problem today.

On the other hand, if you're interested to wait 5-6 months for an announcement of a new version and possibly the passing of more time for actual delivery...
post #11240 of 11243 Unread Yesterday, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Using same cable and have drop outs from time to time on Dish Hopper....................never on Blueray.
post #11241 of 11243 Unread Yesterday, 05:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:

We carry the Celerity Fiber optic HDMI cables. http://www.celeritytek.com/ If we can help you, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #11242 of 11243 Unread Today, 07:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Consider using the new Darbeevision 5100CI:

http://www.darbeevision.com/products/dvp5100cie

It is designed to be used with super long HDMI runs (up to 50 meters) and looks cool.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Datasat combo using Auro-3D:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1426295399824
post #11243 of 11243 Unread Today, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Its nice when a non cool looking guy like you, Joe, owns cool looking AV gear and has a smoking looking wife.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread