Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 376 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #11251 of 11277 Old 04-22-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Is a Panamorph UH440 (same glass as the UH480) good enough for the Sony? Or will I lose resolution?

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 11277 Old 04-22-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post
Is a Panamorph UH440 (same glass as the UH480) good enough for the Sony? Or will I lose resolution?
If I remember correctly the UH440 fixes the ghosting issues that the UH380 had and adds the contrast enhancement (velvet lined chassis) but does not include the upgrade in optical quality that the UH480 gives you.

If you're interested I have an ISCO IIIL with a motorized sled for sale. PM me if you're interested. For a projector of this quality you really should be using the best anamorphic lens you can afford.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #11253 of 11277 Old 04-22-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
If I remember correctly the UH440 fixes the ghosting issues that the UH380 had and adds the contrast enhancement (velvet lined chassis) but does not include the upgrade in optical quality that the UH480 gives you.

If you're interested I have an ISCO IIIL with a motorized sled for sale. PM me if you're interested. For a projector of this quality you really should be using the best anamorphic lens you can afford.
I'll be okay zooming for now - it's after there is P3 content and I have to use the filter that I'll fall below 14 foot lamberts.

According to posts #13 and #20 in this thread, the UH440 has the optics of the UH480 - but I think I'll call Panamorph to check.

Panamorph UH480 info???

I may have a UH440 with motorized sled and a Marantz VP-11S2 for sale shortly - perhaps we can work a trade, lol. j/k

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

post #11254 of 11277 Old 04-22-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
I'll be okay zooming for now - it's after there is P3 content and I have to use the filter that I'll fall below 14 foot lamberts.

According to posts #13 and #20 in this thread, the UH440 has the optics of the UH480 - but I think I'll call Panamorph to check.

Panamorph UH480 info???

I may have a UH440 with motorized sled and a Marantz VP-11S2 for sale shortly - perhaps we can work a trade, lol. j/k
The VW1000 does not have the ability to do vertical stretch on 4K material. You have a decision to make. You may prefer using Rec709 with the higher lumen output.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #11255 of 11277 Old 04-22-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
The VW1000 does not have the ability to do vertical stretch on 4K material. You have a decision to make. You may prefer using Rec709 with the higher lumen output.
Isn't there a 4K Lumagen to solve that problem? I realize they don't have HDCP 2.2 yet, but they will release one soon, yes?

post #11256 of 11277 Old 04-22-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Isn't there a 4K Lumagen to solve that problem? I realize they don't have HDCP 2.2 yet, but they will release one soon, yes?
Yes and a lot of people have been waiting on it. It will be expensive.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #11257 of 11277 Old 04-22-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The longer I'm involved with this insane asylum, the more warped my perspective of "affordable" becomes. . .
mry110 likes this.

post #11258 of 11277 Old 04-22-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
I hear this quite often...while I get there are higher costs associated with a new product, I hope for their sake it is not too expensive. Their products are already premium-priced and occupy a relatively small niche in the marketplace...I'm sure a majority of VPL users here don't have one.

If the 4k product gets stupid expensive, there will be further challenges for them, at least at the start. I enjoy my Lumagen, but with the VPL, which already has pretty good color and reasonably good grey scale, I would really have to consider how much more its worth to get a 4k version. Maybe 25 or 30% premium, but not sure about more than that (unless it does some new things - perhaps with motion handling for example - that the current units do not do).

One other benefit of the 4k version is to isolate 4k HDMI requirements from a processor or avr, extending the life of devices you may otherwise like (and don't need to otherwise upgrade for Atmos or DTS:X)

Finally, if the Sony replacement for the 1100 includes greyscale and cms tools that work well, it further erodes interest in the Lumagens, at least for (future) Sony projector owners.

Nonetheless, hoping for the best in this area...
d.j. likes this.

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
post #11259 of 11277 Old 04-22-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
I hear this quite often...while I get there are higher costs associated with a new product, I hope for their sake it is not too expensive. Their products are already premium-priced and occupy a relatively small niche in the marketplace...I'm sure a majority of VPL users here don't have one.

If the 4k product gets stupid expensive, there will be further challenges for them, at least at the start. I enjoy my Lumagen, but with the VPL, which already has pretty good color and reasonably good grey scale, I would really have to consider how much more its worth to get a 4k version. Maybe 25 or 30% premium, but not sure about more than that (unless it does some new things - perhaps with motion handling for example - that the current units do not do).

One other benefit of the 4k version is to isolate 4k HDMI requirements from a processor or avr, extending the life of devices you may otherwise like (and don't need to otherwise upgrade for Atmos or DTS:X)

Finally, if the Sony replacement for the 1100 includes greyscale and cms tools that work well, it further erodes interest in the Lumagens, at least for (future) Sony projector owners.

Nonetheless, hoping for the best in this area...
Expensive yes, premium, no. Premium infers that the manufacturer is making a killing off of each one sold. That is not the case.

post #11260 of 11277 Old 04-24-2015, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Panamorph UH480 info???

Not a bad option there with the zooming. I use it with my 1100, 500, and 95ES. I don't feel like I'm wrecking the image quality as result in any of my scope setups. I haven't been tempted by an anamorphic lens at all so far, going on 2 years now since my first screen with the 1100 was swapped over to CIH.

post #11261 of 11277 Old 04-24-2015, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Not a bad option there with the zooming. I use it with my 1100, 500, and 95ES. I don't feel like I'm wrecking the image quality as result in any of my scope setups. I haven't been tempted by an anamorphic lens at all so far, going on 2 years now since my first screen with the 1100 was swapped over to CIH.
Yeah but my screen is 176" diagonal 2.35:1 - that's 78 square feet. With the 25-30% reduction in light output when P3 colorspace is selected on the projector, I'll be down to around 10 foot lamberts by zooming - whereas by mounting the pj closer to the screen, and putting an a-lens in front of it, I calculate that I can be at 14 ft lamberts even with P3 colorspace.

post #11262 of 11277 Old 04-24-2015, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Yeah but my screen is 176" diagonal 2.35:1 - that's 78 square feet. With the 25-30% reduction in light output when P3 colorspace is selected on the projector, I'll be down to around 10 foot lamberts by zooming - whereas by mounting the pj closer to the screen, and putting an a-lens in front of it, I calculate that I can be at 14 ft lamberts even with P3 colorspace.

Ok, fair enough. You're really pushing it for the 1100 with the size diagonal. My biggest screen is a 138" ST130, even in my new dedicated HT room just being fitted out, I doubt I could even get 150" into the available wall space if I wanted to. My other 2 screens sh*t it in for brightness being on 126" and 128" CIH.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 04-24-2015 at 03:06 AM.
post #11263 of 11277 Old 04-24-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok, fair enough. You're really pushing it for the 1100 with the size diagonal. My biggest screen is a 138" ST130, even in my new dedicated HT room just being fitted out, I doubt I could even get 150" into the available wall space if I wanted to. My other 2 screens sh*t it in for brightness being on 126" and 128" CIH.
Yeah but the next step up is a Super Lumis lol.

post #11264 of 11277 Old 04-24-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Stack two used 1100ES, a lot less than a super lumis and better.
chrisreeves and OzHDHT like this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #11265 of 11277 Old 04-24-2015, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Stack two used 1100ES, a lot less than a super lumis and better.
I hadn't thought of that Mark - I've never seen a stack of a CRT or digital projector - are you the guy who had the G90 stack a few years back?

post #11266 of 11277 Old 04-24-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

EDIT: Ah screw this - time for a lil' comparo test.

I'm gonna buy one lamp from AVS, and one bulb from ebay to place in the old housing. Then we shall do some measurements and see if there is any measurable difference.

Original post:

Okay stupid newbie question - why should I pay $600 for a new lamp instead of $150 for a new bulb and re-use the existing housing?

The pj has been out three years - is there a consensus? I negotiated an additional $700 discount on my pj because of the 1700 lamp hours. Now I have to decide what to do.

If I can't get original quality with a bare bulb I'll buy the lamp, but if there is no quality difference for $450 and I'm going to be changing bulbs every 500 hours anyway to maintain max brightness, why not save the $450.

Last edited by chrisreeves; 04-24-2015 at 01:37 PM.
post #11267 of 11277 Old 04-24-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Congrats and well done on the buy. Sounds like you must have got that 1000 at a very sweet price as a demo. Aside from a bit more hassle sourcing the upgrade than it was previously, your in pretty good shape I'd say as well. As person who's had a 1000 and then an 1100 from new(back to the upgraded 1000 currently), I can say your not going to gain anything with an imported 1100 or otherwise. If anything you just lose the warranty period as you state. There's been nothing done to the optics of the 1100 vs the original one in the 1000. I ended up with my original 1000 back upgraded some 10 months after I got an 1100 from Sony which I had thought was going work out to be a trade to save time in sourcing the upgrade and down time. However I ended up taking the 1000 back on the basis of an uneconomic trade. My upgraded 1000 is indistinguishable from the 1100.

Hope that helps

I agree with OzHDHT , I would definitely go with the US projector with warranty on.

And the 1000 is identical with the 1100 in the optics on both good and evil.

Congratulations on your new and excellent class projector and enjoy

dj
post #11268 of 11277 Old 04-24-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I don't belief there's anyway to see anything more than the current lamp hours. Never heard of this being recorded anywhere in the service menu.

I would estimate you'd be correct there. I know I clocked up more than that with my 1000 before I did my first bulb change. I doubt you've got much to worry about hardware-wise with the unit sitting in a showroom environment its whole life. The key is you have a fresh lamp in it now, so for intents it should be running sweetly till the next lamp. I doubt very much that you'd have any reliability issues between now and when Sony put out a full replacement model some time in the next year or two.

You can actully see how many lamps changes and and the hours on them all, in the service meny - AFAIR

dj

Edit: Andras beat me on this

Last edited by d.j.; 04-24-2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: adding text
post #11269 of 11277 Old 04-24-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that Mark - I've never seen a stack of a CRT or digital projector - are you the guy who had the G90 stack a few years back?

No. That is Cliffy in Indiana. Us old CRT boys have a meet there about once a year.

Sony stacked a pair of 1100ESs ate CES this year. As I understand it, there was a tech using a a lap top and a proprietary program to use the convergence adjustments on green on one projector (one can adjust red and blue as you know already) the second projector is aligned to the first as best as possible by precise location of the second projector and then pixel shifting is used to fine tune the placement alignment. It is possible to get good alignment without using a special program to adjust the green, I know of one installation where that has been done with good success. Remember doubling the light by using two projectors, will result in you seeing a perceived brightness increase of 25%.lumes and foot lamberts etc will double but your brain re requires a quadrupling to see a two fold increase.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #11270 of 11277 Old Today, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the current word on SXRD panel degradation? There is another thread on it but the discussion ended in 2012. Any advancements in longevity since then?
post #11271 of 11277 Old Today, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
At CEDIA last year, Sony had a two VW1100's stacked. Looked good. Used software to match up the image.

Added
I see that Mark beat me to this. Wonder where he got his info.

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; Today at 06:02 AM.
post #11272 of 11277 Old Today, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Okay stupid newbie question - why should I pay $600 for a new lamp instead of $150 for a new bulb and re-use the existing housing?

The pj has been out three years - is there a consensus? I negotiated an additional $700 discount on my pj because of the 1700 lamp hours. Now I have to decide what to do.

If I can't get original quality with a bare bulb I'll buy the lamp, but if there is no quality difference for $450 and I'm going to be changing bulbs every 500 hours anyway to maintain max brightness, why not save the $450.
Very interested in what you find out here. I am pretty sure there is no consensus and I have been watching this thread from the beginning and have had mine for over 3 years. I also have a huge screen, no A-lens, and watch 3D and I need to be swapping out my bulb every 500-1000 hrs.

The only thing that has scared me so far is the fact that it is such an expensive projector cutting corners on the bulb (that could potentially have bad consequences as well) is not the path I've taken.

Quote:
What is the current word on SXRD panel degradation? There is another thread on it but the discussion ended in 2012. Any advancements in longevity since then?
My calibrator noted degradation between multiple trips, but no where near as bad as the previous issues on earlier generations. No consensus here on that either. If it was a major problem you would be hearing a lot more than from me by now. However, the bottom line is there is organic material in this design, so it seems to be that it is never going to be like DLP for longetivity. I would never buy a used unit without knowing the exact history (from my experience).

Matt
post #11273 of 11277 Old Today, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
EDIT: Ah screw this - time for a lil' comparo test.

I'm gonna buy one lamp from AVS, and one bulb from ebay to place in the old housing. Then we shall do some measurements and see if there is any measurable difference.

Original post:

Do you have a raw bulb model number vs the lamp assembly?

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
post #11274 of 11277 Unread Today, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Do you have a raw bulb model number vs the lamp assembly?

Cut it out with the unimportant stuff. What's your prediction for tonight's Islanders at Caps game?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #11275 of 11277 Unread Today, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cut it out with the unimportant stuff. What's your prediction for tonight's Islanders at Caps game?
As a Ranger fan, I hope it's quadruple overtime regardless who wins.

I think we would fare a bit better against the Caps.

post #11276 of 11277 Unread Today, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

At the old Boston Garden in the late 60s, I attended a triple overtime game between the Bruins and Montreal. Montreal won.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #11277 of 11277 Unread Today, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
At the old Boston Garden in the late 60s, I attended a triple overtime game between the Bruins and Montreal. Montreal won.
I'm biased, but there is nothing like playoff hockey...

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page