Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 385 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #11521 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 549
I don't think I'd pay a penny to upgrade it - the 4k quality is not much different than an excellent 1080p Blu Ray, no advanced audio codec support, lousy title selection, and the download times make spontaneous decisions impossible....

Now they should consider a generous trade in offer to a quality forthcoming 4k Blu Ray player that could also have streaming services built-in, as means to atone for the sins of the FMP debacle.

But beyond that, why pay to trade a 98 pound weakling for a 110 pound weakling?
stevenjw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
I'd only pay $200 if they fixed and added apps (Amazon, etc.) to get more source. It would also be nice if they added higher quality and move movies to their own store. Until then, the brick is just a different shaped door stop.
I wouldn't go that far. I've had mine for quite a while, and nothing else has had Netflix 4K that whole time. If I knew Roku was or somebody else was going to come out with a 4K box any time soon or not, that would influence how much a hypothetical upgrade would be worth. But it hasn't just been a door stop like the X1 it has a wealth of Netflix 4K content that increases by the month it seems.

Matt
post #11523 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
I don't think I'd pay a penny to upgrade it - the 4k quality is not much different than an excellent 1080p Blu Ray, no advanced audio codec support, lousy title selection, and the download times make spontaneous decisions impossible....

Now they should consider a generous trade in offer to a quality forthcoming 4k Blu Ray player that could also have streaming services built-in, as means to atone for the sins of the FMP debacle.

I think I have learned my lesson with the X1. I won't be buying online movies kept on a company's server again. When the company makes a product change or support decision, customers investments in movies are stranded.

I will stick to Blu Rays and to 4K Blu Rays when they get here.
post #11524 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosa View Post
I think I have learned my lesson with the X1. I won't be buying online movies kept on a company's server again. When the company makes a product change or support decision, customers investments in movies are stranded.

I will stick to Blu Rays and to 4K Blu Rays when they get here.
Nobody should even be considering the X10 vs. the X1 unless you want it for streaming. I'm paying for Netflix no matter what in my household, might as well see what I can in the best possible quality.

Matt
post #11525 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I do know that right now I don't have access to my movies and a phone number is coming up for me to call for support. I purchased CHAPPIE using some of the redeem codes I still have (more like almost all of them) and it won't download it. Frustrating....

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Datasat combo using Auro-3D:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1426295399824
post #11526 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
I do know that right now I don't have access to my movies and a phone number is coming up for me to call for support. I purchased CHAPPIE using some of the redeem codes I still have (more like almost all of them) and it won't download it. Frustrating....
And of course I call the 1-855-476-6945 and get the Vaio department and they have NO CLUE as to what is going on.

post #11527 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Whew. It could have been worse than a no clue.
post #11528 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
And of course I call the 1-855-476-6945 and get the Vaio department and they have NO CLUE as to what is going on.

I have sent off a half dozen e-mail messages to Sony about the puck/tablet/software issue. But I really am not expecting an answer nor a fix.

The puck is a product from what, two years ago? Why would they want to respond to a product that old?
post #11529 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I have sent off a half dozen e-mail messages to Sony about the puck/tablet/software issue. But I really am not expecting an answer nor a fix.

The puck is a product from what, two years ago? Why would they want to respond to a product that old?
I have requested this to be looked into and am expecting an answer back.

AV Geek for life. :) Contact for advice and help.
My Baffle wall Build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #11530 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

In retrospect, even if Sony magically delivered on my previous requirements for a trade-in, I think Thrang is spot on in this suggestion. I'd trade in the X1 toward a Sony UHD-BD player (or a Sony PS4 and use my coupons on it).
hermosa likes this.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear
post #11531 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 05:23 PM

I would expect that if Sony didn't provide a procedure for going back to an app that would work with the puck, a small claims suit would be very successful.
hermosa likes this.
post #11532 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Last week:

"The Puck is the worst thing ever. The quality of the video sucks, it takes forever to download anything and the selection of content is horrible. I mean, it's not even better than blu-ray. Now that I think about it, I haven't used it over a year. It's being used as a paper weight right now."

This week:

"I miss using my Puck and I wish I could be watching it right now. I wanna use my Puck all the time. Sony is dropping the ball. I can't believe they haven't updated the App to control it. Sony is the worst. Maybe we should sue them? Better yet, maybe we should all collectively never buy a Sony product again?"
chrisreeves and Andreas21 like this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $2995
My Crazy Projector Journey!!
post #11533 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 07:50 PM

When we were forced to buy pucks if we wanted Sony to modify our 1000ESs to make them 1100ESs we knew the limitations of the puck. We also knew we would get $300 worth of new movies beyond what came loaded on the puck or what could be downloaded for free. Its not right to bitch that things you would like to do and that can be done with the brick can't be done with the puck. But it is simply wrong and an adverse taking of chattels by Sony taking away what the consumer owns when the consumer down loads one of its apps especially with no notice of the dyer effect of such a download to one's tablet which Sony also forced us to buy. Sony must provide the ability to restore the product to operability as it existed prior to the app or Sony must refund the value it took away but which consumers paid for. No court would rule otherwise. Will it take litigation? Surely not, there are solutions that Sony could employ and I am optimistic that Sony will do something to restore its good will. Remember the motto which will never die but will live on in infamy: Sony. No Baloney.
joerod and hermosa like this.

Last edited by mark haflich; 06-18-2015 at 07:18 AM.
post #11534 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 07:55 PM

Seegs. What's so strange. You can fall in love, get married, and after some time which varies, you don't puck any more and eventually you separate with a separation agreement (let's call it an app). The result, you can't puck anymore and you decide you miss pucking. So you patch things up, tear up the app, and go back to the way it was (old app) although you well know there is a better puck out there, in the shape and potential functionality of a brick. We should all have a server built like a brick puck house.

When we upgraded from the 1000ES to the 1100ES without having to buy a 1100ES, remember our motto. PUCK IT! Most of use looked forward to getting pucked but the novelty of pucking wore off because of the limited ability and repertoire of the puck. Just not a flexible device.

Last edited by mark haflich; 06-17-2015 at 09:04 PM.
post #11535 of 11761 Old 06-17-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Seegs. What's so strange. You can fall in love, get married, and after some times which varies, you don't puck any more and eventually you separate with a separation agreement (let's call it an app). The result, you can't puck anymore and you decide you miss pucking. So you patch things up, tear up the app, and go back to the way it was (old app) although you well know there is a better puck out there, in the shape and potential functionality of a brick. We should all have a server built like a brick puck house.

When we upgraded from the 1000ES to the 1100ES without having to buy a 1100ES, remember our motto. PUCK IT! Most of use looked forward to getting pucked but the novelty of pucking wore off because of the limited ability and repertoire of the puck. Just not a flexible device.
Mark

Hah! You made my day!
joerod likes this.
post #11536 of 11761 Old 06-18-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

I was able to get a refund this afternoon for my CHAPPIE purchase. He wasn't sure yet what Sony was going to do or if and when there might be a fix of some sort. Hard to believe they can sabotage there own product bringing back to memory the funny posts showing the different uses for the puck!

post #11537 of 11761 Old 06-19-2015, 04:20 AM

I often follow up with a question after someone answers that they are not sure about something. An answer followed up by I think etc is quite acceptable but if the answer is just I am not sure, I ask what do you mean by that? Tell me what you think the answer is since if you state that you are not sure, then tell me the answer that you thing might be right that you unsure about, or if as I suspect you have no freakin idea what the answer is, tell me you have no clue what the answer is or that an answer doesn't yet exist. God forbid if the person you spoke to would say, ya know, I understand why you are upset, I'd would be ballistic if Sony did that to me, and I will get a definitive answer for you and call you back. Remember we are the No Baloney company.
post #11538 of 11761 Old 06-19-2015, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 549
If they don't fix it, they will have to buy back the bricked puck and tablet, or be ripe for some action as Mark noted earlier. Buy it back....please...
stevenjw likes this.
post #11539 of 11761 Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 AM

One of two things will happen. They will have a restore it to the old app option. Cheap and easy or a special brick pricing option for puck owners.With the second, they still would be subject to liability unless the price was really cheap. A trade in, one for one would I think not make them liable.
stevenjw likes this.
post #11540 of 11761 Old 06-19-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd take a refund as a first choice, a swap for a future UHD-BD second, and an even swap of the X1 for the X10 third. Sony needs to do something to remedy this and soon.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

post #11541 of 11761 Old 06-19-2015, 08:57 AM

Soon is relative. They don't have to do anything immediately given that most of us stopped using the puck long ago. They could just restore the old app and legally they would have to do nothing more. I am reasonable guess certain that they will shortly restore the app or make the new app work with the X1 to the limit of the X1's ability. A credit against a brick would be nice but given that a brick can do a lot more even though its storage capacity is 50% less, my guess is a swap would require that some cash be given to Sony given that we have no draft picks to give them.

Last edited by mark haflich; 06-19-2015 at 09:24 AM.
post #11542 of 11761 Old 06-19-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Soon is relative. They don't have to do anything immediately given that most of us stopped using the puck long ago. They could just restore the old app and legally they would have to do nothing more. I am reasonable guess certain that they will shortly restore the app or make the new app work with the X1 to the limit of the X1's ability. A credit against a brick would be nice but given that a brick can do a lot more even though its storage capacity is 50% less, my guess is a swap would require that some cash be given to Sony given that we have no draft picks to give them.
Actually the 4K app is the same as before. It is the Android OS for the tablet that changed. Now the old 4K app doesn't work with the new tablet OS. So the old 4K app needs to be modified to work with the new OS.

Sony support says a tablet cannot retroactively install a prior OS - and I am guessing they would not want to since the tablet is a multi-use device.
post #11543 of 11761 Old 06-19-2015, 12:30 PM

Got it. So they simply have to modify the app.
hermosa likes this.
post #11544 of 11761 Old 06-19-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Got it. So they simply have to modify the app.
Simply is relative. They tied the X1 to an app on the tablet instead of a remote. Why? To either look cool or to push tablet sales. Stupid, not just for obvious reasons, but this requires on-going software support that a remote would not. By using an app, continued testing for compatibility and functionality will always be required whenever an Android OS upgrade is released. If Sony were really on top of this, the testing would have been done before the OS update. And they'd also have released a version to work with Apple products by now.

...Steve

post #11545 of 11761 Old 06-19-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

The app for controlling the FMP-X1 on the Xperia tablet has been updated for the Lollipop OS. This should take care of the problem.

post #11546 of 11761 Old 06-19-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
The app for controlling the FMP-X1 on the Xperia tablet has been updated for the Lollipop OS. This should take care of the problem.
Pfew..world shattering problem averted. I wonder how this lot handles a real crisis? Something tells me not well.

Now you all can go back to using your pucks. Oh, wait...

Mine is still sitting in it's packaging. I'll most likely rip the 2TB harddrive out and put it in my PC. I'll get more use out of it that way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $2995
My Crazy Projector Journey!!
post #11547 of 11761 Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Mike
Thanks!! It now works. I unistalled and reinstalled this afternoon and it did not work, but now it does.

Thanks for the help and any influence you had. I appreciate it.
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #11548 of 11761 Old 06-20-2015, 04:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Mike
Thanks!! It now works. I unistalled and reinstalled this afternoon and it did not work, but now it does.

Thanks for the help and any influence you had. I appreciate it.
All I did was contact the right person to get this corrected.

post #11549 of 11761 Old 06-20-2015, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I bought the puck back from the guy I sold it to and took the tablet back from my kid, erased his games, and reinstalled the updated app. Yep works great! Man that Spiderman is a great movie.....
post #11550 of 11761 Old 06-20-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

And afterwards I still have CHAPPIE so that one will end up being a freebie.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page