Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 386 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 219Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11551 of 11580 Old 06-20-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 21,237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Liked: 863
So basically now Joerod gets to keep the movie Sony gave him his money back for and Hermosa's puck functionality has been restored. And no law suits were needed. But Thrang and Steve are still pissed and disappointed because they can't get their money back for the puck or something else in trade. What a country.


Joerod. I wrote the above pp before you posted. Of course the right thing to do especially for a company like Sony which is financially struggling big time would be to call Sony and order and pay for it again but to try and explain that you already have it and don't want it twice, just charge me for it Hun. I'd love to listen to that call.
joerod likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; 06-22-2015 at 06:53 AM.
mark haflich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11552 of 11580 Old 06-20-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,411
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
And afterwards I still have CHAPPIE so that one will end up being a freebie.
Did you watch it yet? I wasn't sure what to expect going in but ended up liking it.
zombie10k is online now  
post #11553 of 11580 Old 06-20-2015, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
scooter_29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
I wouldn't go that far. I've had mine for quite a while, and nothing else has had Netflix 4K that whole time. If I knew Roku was or somebody else was going to come out with a 4K box any time soon or not, that would influence how much a hypothetical upgrade would be worth. But it hasn't just been a door stop like the X1 it has a wealth of Netflix 4K content that increases by the month it seems.
They are starting to come out. The Nvidia Shield supports 4k streaming with Netflix. Its also only $200 unlike the puck and brick.
scooter_29 is offline  
post #11554 of 11580 Old 06-20-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 6,164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosa View Post
Seegs

Don't understand the sarcasm here. I do use the puck and have bought many movies. Are you saying I just should have walked away and forgot about it?

Because you don't use it, it is a non-problem?
Just poking fun at people freaking out. I'm sure there are some that use the puck often but most posters in here say they haven't used their puck in months/years. This is probably the trend with 1100ES owners. People seemed like they weren't even willing to give Sony a few days to rectify the issue/rewrite the program so it would be compatible with Android Lollipop operating system update before starting some type of litigation or swearing to never buy a Sony product again. The tablet was not created/sold exclusively for the X1 so it took Sony ES a few days to get the new application working.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
Seegs108 is online now  
post #11555 of 11580 Old 06-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
discodol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Wilton Manors, FL, USA
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Great news! I am so glad I read this forum and that there are knowledgeable people who contribute so much making my life so much more enjoyable!

Now I'm a fixin to hook up that puck!

David Ferebee
discodol is offline  
post #11556 of 11580 Old 06-21-2015, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29 View Post
They are starting to come out. The Nvidia Shield supports 4k streaming with Netflix. Its also only $200 unlike the puck and brick.
Maybe this will get Sony on the ball with Amazon 4K? If Shield has it before them that would be pretty embarrassing I would hope.

Matt
turls is online now  
post #11557 of 11580 Old 06-21-2015, 04:01 AM
Member
 
BakeApples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there any information about a successor to the 1100 this year or in 2016?
BakeApples is offline  
post #11558 of 11580 Old 06-21-2015, 04:52 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,417
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
Is there any information about a successor to the 1100 this year or in 2016?
Not yet, but I would not be surprised to see either a replacement or a model above the 1100.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #11559 of 11580 Old 06-21-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
stevenjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: DC Metro area USA
Posts: 2,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
So basically now Joerod gets to keep the movie Sony gave him his money back for and Hermosa's puck functionality has been restored. And no law suits were needed. But Thrang and Steve are still pissed and disappointed because they can't get their money back for the puck or something else in trade.
Just Thrang and me? Why wouldn't everyone be ticked off that they had no choice but to buy a bundle of crap they didn't want in order to upgrade an expensive 4K projector just to get it ready to hopefully play UHD-BDs? The fact that most consider the puck a boat anchor speaks volumes. Anyone that wasn't even slightly ticked off isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. And those that defended Sony and the upgrade, and said that we should be happy just to get one are, well, just a tool.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V
 
My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

Last edited by stevenjw; 06-21-2015 at 03:50 PM.
stevenjw is offline  
post #11560 of 11580 Old 06-21-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
So basically now Joerod gets to keep the movie Sony gave him his money back for and Hermosa's puck functionality has been restored. And no law suits were needed. But Thrang and Steve are still pissed and disappointed because they can't get their money back for the puck or something else in trade. What a country.


Joerod. I wrote the above pp this before you posted. Of course the right thing to do especially for a company like Sony which is financially struggling big time would be to call Sony and order and pay for it again but to try and explain that you already have it and don't want it twice, just charge me for it Hun. I'd love to listen to that call.
Mark, I am not pissed and I have long since forgotten about the puck until this recent issue. But you can't possibly defend what Sony did as anything other than actions in their own self interests, and particularly the whole 4k service was and remains useless. The bundle, even the lamp, was just about artificially creating a higher retail value for the upgrade kit (and moving inventory of tablets no one was or are buying).

No one expected that and bought in good faith. So when we realized what it was, people feel somewhat ripped off.

Sony's failures are there own, mostly because they don't run as a single profit center, like Apple. Every chief is worried about their own bottom line, not the greater good, and the result is a company that has so many of the key pieces still is the most unsynergistic I've seen in a long time.
stevenjw likes this.

Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - Marantz 8802 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51/A23 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k • Last Watched: The Godfather - Last Listened: King Crimson "Discipline"
thrang is online now  
post #11561 of 11580 Old 06-22-2015, 03:22 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Did you watch it yet? I wasn't sure what to expect going in but ended up liking it.
It wasn't half bad. I actually liked it too.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Datasat combo using Auro-3D:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1426295399824
joerod is online now  
post #11562 of 11580 Old 06-22-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,255
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Can the convergence change after time?


Mine used to be perfect and over the last few weeks Ive been noticing things haven't looked perfect any longer. I thought it was my eyes and went to get my glasses tested....


Long story short today I discovered it was the RED on the panel adjustment that needed a touch up. V +H both needed a little, now it is perfect.
Any advice on this, I see they have a R + B, plus a RGB together...
Just want to make sure Im doing it correctly even though it does look perfect now.


I know you are not meant to do just part of the panel...

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild
RapalloAV is offline  
post #11563 of 11580 Old 06-22-2015, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 21,237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Just like the old days of CRT. You can adjust the Red and you can adjust the blue. The green is not adjustable. Some CRTs allowed G to be adjustable for the purposes of adjusting the geometry of the grid. It not matters not if you adjust R or B to G or to the G and the other color you adjust first. Its just what's easier for you to see. When you adjust one to the other two the resultant is white lines instead of the combination of adjusting R or B to Green.The adjust one to two colors simply turns on the R or G not being adjusted and the G.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; 06-23-2015 at 01:51 AM.
mark haflich is offline  
post #11564 of 11580 Old 06-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Member
 
Dirk44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: leipzig germany
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
i'm not a big fan of 3D,but a have 2 Emitter from Monstervision (Optoma) here and i will try this out. To build a CONVERSION CABLE RJ45/3-PIN Kabel | RJ45 (male) to 3D-Vesa MiniDIN 3-PIN (female) for my VW 1100 i need the correct advice for both side of cabel.
Can anybody help me with this

Thank you
Dirk44 is offline  
post #11565 of 11580 Old 06-26-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk44 View Post
Hello,
i'm not a big fan of 3D,but a have 2 Emitter from Monstervision (Optoma) here and i will try this out. To build a CONVERSION CABLE RJ45/3-PIN Kabel | RJ45 (male) to 3D-Vesa MiniDIN 3-PIN (female) for my VW 1100 i need the correct advice for both side of cabel.
Can anybody help me with this

Thank you
Search the HW-50 thread if I recall correctly another member has mapped out all the pin outs and put up pics and a how to for DIY for the adapter. I followed it to convert the Xpand RF adapter to RJ-45 for my 1100.
Dirk44 likes this.

OzHDHT is offline  
post #11566 of 11580 Old 06-26-2015, 09:54 PM
Senior Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own world!
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
VPL-1100 Bars in Raster

This evening, while watching a movie, I noticed a horizontal light bar in the image from time to time. The video chain is a Sony 7000 Blu-Ray Changer to a Vision VS-100 Media server, to a Lumagen 2144 4k processor at 3840x2160 to the VPL-1100. To eliminate the chain, I connected my Sencore MP-500 1080p HDMI pattern generator directly to the VPL-1100 and tested both inputs 1 and 2. Using a 30% gray raster, two bars appeared at 60hz. One about 1/4 from the top and one 1/3 up from the bottom. At 24hz there was a single bar about center raster. Pictures of both are attached.
The VPL-1100 is about 13 months old and has about 1350hrs on the original bulb. It should be noted that I have a high end 220V power conditioner, mainly for my amps to which the 1100 is also connected. So its' input voltage is 220V.
If anyone has experienced a similar issue and can offer a cause and/or solution, it would be most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony 1100 1080P-60.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	797626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony 1100 1080P-24.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	797634  

John

Last edited by netroamer; 06-26-2015 at 10:12 PM.
netroamer is offline  
post #11567 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
This evening, while watching a movie, I noticed a horizontal light bar in the image from time to time. The video chain is a Sony 7000 Blu-Ray Changer to a Vision VS-100 Media server, to a Lumagen 2144 4k processor at 3840x2160 to the VPL-1100. To eliminate the chain, I connected my Sencore MP-500 1080p HDMI pattern generator directly to the VPL-1100 and tested both inputs 1 and 2. Using a 30% gray raster, two bars appeared at 60hz. One about 1/4 from the top and one 1/3 up from the bottom. At 24hz there was a single bar about center raster. Pictures of both are attached.
The VPL-1100 is about 13 months old and has about 1350hrs on the original bulb. It should be noted that I have a high end 220V power conditioner, mainly for my amps to which the 1100 is also connected. So its' input voltage is 220V.
If anyone has experienced a similar issue and can offer a cause and/or solution, it would be most appreciated.
This is a normal problem on the VW1000/1100 and differs from unit to unit, my first VW1000 had it quite severe and my secont had it also, but not so visible, and it vas almost invisible after I changed the bulb. It was also more noticeable in low lamp than high and this resulted in I always used the 1000 in high even if I had enough lumens in low with a new lamp.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Andreas21 is offline  
post #11568 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 05:31 AM
Senior Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own world!
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
This is a normal problem on the VW1000/1100 and differs from unit to unit, my first VW1000 had it quite severe and my secont had it also, but not so visible, and it vas almost invisible after I changed the bulb. It was also more noticeable in low lamp than high and this resulted in I always used the 1000 in high even if I had enough lumens in low with a new lamp.
Thanks. I ran pattern checks on the 1100 when it was new and I am sure the raster was clean with nothing like I am seeing now.

John
netroamer is offline  
post #11569 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 38
This appears to be the problem that was pointed out by Mark Haflich, among others. But I remember he also said that the brighter bands, while there, should be barely noticeable. A PM to him might help.

The issue is related, apparently, to a not so ideal design of the power supply that needs to flicker the bulb to prolong its life. My understanding is that the bands are more likely to occur in the older VPL-VW1000ES (including those with upgraded video signal processing board) than in the newer VPL-VW1100ES. I've got a VPL-VW1100ES manufactured in November 2014, with a few hundred hours on board, and I don't see any of the bright bands that you've noticed. Touch wood, hope I'll never see them.

If you think your PJ became worse than when it was new, a ring to Sony may be in order. The ES line comes with a three-year warranty.

Incidentally, what screen are you using? Type of screen fabric material? Gain? Size of the screen? Throw distance? Viewing distance? I am asking because your photos, aside for the brighter bands, show terrible hotspotting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
Thanks. I ran pattern checks on the 1100 when it was new and I am sure the raster was clean with nothing like I am seeing now.
Michael9009 is online now  
post #11570 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own world!
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
This appears to be the problem that was pointed out by Mark Haflich, among others. But I remember he also said that the brighter bands, while there, should be barely noticeable. A PM to him might help.

The issue is related, apparently, to a not so ideal design of the power supply that needs to flicker the bulb to prolong its life. My understanding is that the bands are more likely to occur in the older VPL-VW1000ES (including those with upgraded video signal processing board) than in the newer VPL-VW1100ES. I've got a VPL-VW1100ES manufactured in November 2014, with a few hundred hours on board, and I don't see any of the bright bands that you've noticed. Touch wood, hope I'll never see them.

If you think your PJ became worse than when it was new, a ring to Sony may be in order. The ES line comes with a three-year warranty.

Incidentally, what screen are you using? Type of screen fabric material? Gain? Size of the screen? Throw distance? Viewing distance? I am asking because your photos, aside for the brighter bands, show terrible hotspotting.
I am using a Stewart StudioTek 130, gain 1.3. It is a white mat screen, size is 100" diagonal, and the viewing and throw distance is 18.5'. I too noticed the hot spot, however to make sure the bands were visible in the images, I enhanced them slightly which incresed the hot spot also.

John
netroamer is offline  
post #11571 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 6,164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 585
You can disable the lamp protection circuit in the service menu and it should remove the issue. The drawback to doing this, according to what I've read, is that you reduce the life of the lamp.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
Seegs108 is online now  
post #11572 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
You can disable the lamp protection circuit in the service menu and it should remove the issue. The drawback to doing this, according to what I've read, is that you reduce the life of the lamp.
No, do not do this! According to Sony, there is significant loss of lamp life, something like reducing normal expectancy by 80 or 90 percent!

The issue, as touched upon, has to do with the combination of the signal frequency and the pulsing of the lamp power supply. If you switch to a 23.976 signal from a blu ray player, you will see the band change location an intensity. Normal and high lamp mode also will show it changes...

My understanding is the fix is in the lamp power supply, not the logic board. So the upgraded 1000's would not have the fix. I presume the new 1100's do are built with the tweak. I was fortunate enough to get mine unit fixed in this regard, so I can tell you the fix reduces, but does not eliminate the band. But its nearly impossible to see in any regular viewing. The fix also does reduce lamp life about 10%.

I suggest not getting to focused on test patterns but only if you see it in real world viewing.

Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - Marantz 8802 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51/A23 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k • Last Watched: The Godfather - Last Listened: King Crimson "Discipline"
thrang is online now  
post #11573 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 6,164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
No, do not do this! According to Sony, there is significant loss of lamp life, something like reducing normal expectancy by 80 or 90 percent!

The issue, as touched upon, has to do with the combination of the signal frequency and the pulsing of the lamp power supply. If you switch to a 23.976 signal from a blu ray player, you will see the band change location an intensity. Normal and high lamp mode also will show it changes...

My understanding is the fix is in the lamp power supply, not the logic board. So the upgraded 1000's would not have the fix. I presume the new 1100's do are built with the tweak. I was fortunate enough to get mine unit fixed in this regard, so I can tell you the fix reduces, but does not eliminate the band. But its nearly impossible to see in any regular viewing. The fix also does reduce lamp life about 10%.

I suggest not getting to focused on test patterns but only if you see it in real world viewing.
Yeah, it's really only noticeable with test patterns like you said. I don't think my unit is a particularly "old" 1000ES and even though I've seen the band on rare occasion it's not something that particularly annoying and eventually does go away. I wonder if the 600ES shares the same issue? My unit is at United Radio Services in Syracuse, NY right now. This is where it looks like Sony is now servicing 1100ES/1000ES units. I was told by Sony ES support this does not take place in Laredo, TX anymore. I was having a particularly bad banding issue. Coincidentally I had to send in my unit for the upgraded motherboard anyways so it was a good time for them to take a look at the issue. They're replacing the optical block and SXRDs as they think it's a combination of both that is causing the issues I was seeing. Luckily my unit is still under warranty and Sony is taking care of it. Parts had an ETA to arrive today so I hope I get my unit back within two weeks.

For anyone interested in my experience with United Radio so far, I can say it's been a pleasant one. I personally dropped off my unit (I live fairly close to Syracuse) and the place is VERY professional looking and the two or three people I spoke with, even the girl at the front counter, really seemed to know about projectors. I saw this as a good thing as they repair basically all CE products not just projectors. Projectors are so niche it's nice to know they actually have a clue when it comes to projectors. When I told them my 1000ES needed a motherboard upgrade and that I had the motherboard with me, I was very surprised to see they knew exactly what I was talking about. Their diagnosis of what was causing the banding issue was quick. I wasn't made to wait weeks on end before being updated. They have a policy to call every 4 days to update you on your repair status. Heck even if there haven't been any updates they call you anyways so you aren't out of the loop. You can also check online via their website for any status updates. I just figured I'd post this in case someone in the future has to send in their unit to them for a repair. I think you'll be in good hands. They seem like good people.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
Seegs108 is online now  
post #11574 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Yeah, it's really only noticeable with test patterns like you said. I don't think my unit is a particularly "old" 1000ES and even though I've seen the band on rare occasion it's not something that particularly annoying and eventually does go away. I wonder if the 600ES shares the same issue? My unit is at United Radio Services in Syracuse, NY right now. This is where it looks like Sony is now servicing 1100ES/1000ES units. I was told by Sony ES support this does not take place in Laredo, TX anymore. I was having a particularly bad banding issue. Coincidentally I had to send in my unit for the upgraded motherboard anyways so it was a good time for them to take a look at the issue. They're replacing the optical block and SXRDs as they think it's a combination of both that is causing the issues I was seeing. Luckily my unit is still under warranty and Sony is taking care of it. Parts had an ETA to arrive today so I hope I get my unit back within two weeks.

For anyone interested in my experience with United Radio so far, I can say it's been a pleasant one. I personally dropped off my unit (I live fairly close to Syracuse) and the place is VERY professional looking and the two or three people I spoke with, even the girl at the front counter, really seemed to know about projectors. I saw this as a good thing as they repair basically all CE products not just projectors. Projectors are so niche it's nice to know they actually have a clue when it comes to projectors. When I told them my 1000ES needed a motherboard upgrade and that I had the motherboard with me, I was very surprised to see they knew exactly what I was talking about. Their diagnosis of what was causing the banding issue was quick. I wasn't made to wait weeks on end before being updated. They have a policy to call every 4 days to update you on your repair status. Heck even if there haven't been any updates they call you anyways so you aren't out of the loop. You can also check online via their website for any status updates. I just figured I'd post this in case someone in the future has to send in their unit to them for a repair. I think you'll be in good hands. They seem like good people.
If the banding issue is like what is posted above, thats the lamp power supply issue, not optical black or panels...

Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - Marantz 8802 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51/A23 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k • Last Watched: The Godfather - Last Listened: King Crimson "Discipline"
thrang is online now  
post #11575 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 6,164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 585
For any of you international 1000ES owners still thinking about getting the 1100ES update done and don't want to pay the ridiculous price Sony is charging for it in your territories, I see an ebay seller has two kits and is willing to ship them internationally. Now you'd still need to bring it to a Sony service center in your country to have the board swapped and software transferred and updated but I'd venture a guess buying one of these kits would save a lot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sony-4K-...item2a53547343

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
Seegs108 is online now  
post #11576 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 6,164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
If the banding issue is like what is posted above, thats the lamp power supply issue, not optical black or panels...
Yeah, my repair is for something completely different than the banding caused by the lamp.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
Seegs108 is online now  
post #11577 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Senior Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own world!
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
My understanding is the fix is in the lamp power supply, not the logic board. So the upgraded 1000's would not have the fix. I presume the new 1100's do are built with the tweak. I was fortunate enough to get mine unit fixed in this regard, so I can tell you the fix reduces, but does not eliminate the band. But its nearly impossible to see in any regular viewing. The fix also does reduce lamp life about 10%.

I suggest not getting to focused on test patterns but only if you see it in real world viewing.
I'm a little confused by some of the posts. For the record this is a factory manufactured 1100 not an upgraded 1000. The only reason I went to the test patterns is that I noticed it while watching a 24hz 3840x2160 upscaled Pixar movie. The test patterns directly into the 1100 was only to prove it was a projector issue and not created by another component in the chain so the patterns only proved what I noticed during real world viewing.

John
netroamer is offline  
post #11578 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
I'm a little confused by some of the posts. For the record this is a factory manufactured 1100 not an upgraded 1000. The only reason I went to the test patterns is that I noticed it while watching a 24hz 3840x2160 upscaled Pixar movie. The test patterns directly into the 1100 was only to prove it was a projector issue and not created by another component in the chain so the patterns only proved what I noticed during real world viewing.

I think its a design / build error, which they can not do much or anything about, "thankfully", it is extremely rare, that you can see it with plain material ( IMO )


dj
d.j. is offline  
post #11579 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
I'm a little confused by some of the posts. For the record this is a factory manufactured 1100 not an upgraded 1000. The only reason I went to the test patterns is that I noticed it while watching a 24hz 3840x2160 upscaled Pixar movie. The test patterns directly into the 1100 was only to prove it was a projector issue and not created by another component in the chain so the patterns only proved what I noticed during real world viewing.
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse, if you have the factory built 1100, you have the fix I would think. In looking at your two photos, it does seem they are taken with different lamp modes or input frequencies, since the banding is different...

I'll have to call up the internal test patterns in the Sony and see what it looks like again...

Its possible they did not address it in the 1100, since it may have required more engineering than just the logic board swap...

Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - Marantz 8802 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51/A23 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k • Last Watched: The Godfather - Last Listened: King Crimson "Discipline"

Last edited by thrang; 06-27-2015 at 01:02 PM.
thrang is online now  
post #11580 of 11580 Old 06-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Senior Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own world!
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse, if you have the factory built 1100, you have the fix it would think. In looking at your two photos, it does seem they are taken with different lamp modes or input frequencies, since the banding is different...

Yes, I noticed the difference when I tested the projector at 24hz and 60hz on the pattern generator and photographed each to show the change in the bar position for each frequency.

John
netroamer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off