Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 392 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 247Likes

post #11731 of 11743 Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
I own a Lumagen. They can glitch. And there are numerous settings that, if not correct, and degrade the picture. So from a video issue troubleshooting perspective, in principle it makes sense to remove a video processor as a split half process to isolate.
Well, yes, the user can mess things up, of course, but the Lumagen itself is not going to randomly "degrade"; at least I've never experienced that and have owned all the models...

I suspect user error.

My cinema: The Cave!
My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen Pro, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11732 of 11743 Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H View Post
Well, yes, the user can mess things up, of course, but the Lumagen itself is not going to randomly "degrade"; at least I've never experienced that and have owned all the models...

I suspect user error.
I've already concluded that the artifact is in the source...
post #11733 of 11743 Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
You don´t set your brightness based on different films you set it according to a brightness pattern, if you have to set your 1100 down to around 20-25 it is something seriously wrong as it should be set at around 50 in most cases.

And if you use the 2.35 Zoom on the 1100ES you use the whole 4096x2160 pixels of the chip when watching a 16x9 film, but if you use the zoom function on a 2.35:1 screen you don´t use the whole chip as you loose many pixels in the black bars.
Where can I get an accurate brightness test pattern for the vw1100es? Also, I'm using the "Reference" preset and most advanced features are turned off. Anything that could be causing me to have to turn down the brightness that I might be overlooking? One thing I probably should note is that my room has tan walls and carpeting. The projector is also on an ottoman pretty close to the carpet (yes, it's a very lame looking theater right now).

The room will be 'theater-ized' in about 4-5 months from now with proper wall treatments, etc to turn it as dark as possible, reduce reflections and acoustically treat it. Even though it's pitch black in the room with the lights turned off, do you think the lighter color of the walls could be causing such milky blacks at "50" brightness? I wouldn't think it'd be so dramatic. You have me worried as something "seriously wrong" with a non-warrantied projector is not what I like to hear. Surely this must be something I'm overlooking as overall PQ looks beautiful but the blacks are having issues unless brightness is brought down. Please help!

Last edited by voodoo1694; Yesterday at 01:16 PM.
post #11734 of 11743 Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo1694 View Post
Where can I get an accurate brightness test pattern for the vw1100es? Also, I'm using the "Reference" preset and most advanced features are turned off. Anything that could be causing me to have to turn down the brightness that I might be overlooking? One thing I probably should note is that my room has tan walls and carpeting. The projector is also on an ottoman pretty close to the carpet (yes, it's a very lame looking theater right now).

The room will be 'theater-ized' in about 4-5 months from now with proper wall treatments, etc to turn it as dark as possible, reduce reflections and acoustically treat it. Even though it's pitch black in the room with the lights turned off, do you think the lighter color of the walls could be causing such milky blacks at "50" brightness? I wouldn't think it'd be so dramatic. You have me worried as something "seriously wrong" with a non-warrantied projector is not what I like to hear. Surely this must be something I'm overlooking as overall PQ looks beautiful but the blacks are having issues unless brightness is brought down. Please help!
A signal generator like an AccuPel if you want ultimate accuracy . But really just get a calibration disk like DVE HD or Spears & Munsil, which I personally prefer. You can also burn some test patterns to disc, there's been threads about it over the years in the forums here. You can also generate with HTPC and patterns on file, which I quite often use to check my PC's output into the 1100 etc. You need to sort that extremely low brightness setting out, if I put mine down that far you'd see no detail at all in black.

Tan walls are a bit better that white. I doubt though you'd perceive a black level issue with that wall colouring, probably the opposite. The darker you make the room the more you'll be able to perceive any limitations with a projector's black level capabilities, something I'm starting to be able to observe now that I've built a new room and with a mid grey wall and ceiling colour.

Last edited by OzHDHT; Yesterday at 09:11 PM.
post #11735 of 11743 Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
A signal generator like an AccuPel if you want to ultimate accuracy . But really just get a calibration disk like DVE HD or Spears & Munsil, which I personally prefer. You can also burn some test patterns to disc, there's been threads about it over the years in the forums here. You can also generate with HTPC and patterns on file, which I quite often use to check my PC's output into the 1100 etc. You need to sort that extremely low brightness setting out, if I put mine down that far you'd see no detail at all in black.

Tan walls are a bit better that white. I doubt though you'd perceive a black level issue with that wall colouring, probably the opposite. The darker you make the room the more you'll be able to perceive any limitations with a projector's black level capabilities, something I'm starting to be able to observe now that I've built a new room and with a mid grey wall and ceiling colour.
Thanks Oz - I'm actually using a matte white milliskin spandex screen with grey spandex behind it (courtesy of the DIY section here.... This will be completely temporary until my actual Seymour screen comes in a few months), but even when projected on the bare tan wall I experienced the same issue needing to decrease brightness. Are there any in-menu settings I should look at that could possibly create washed out blacks? I did futz around with settings quite a bit, but nothing really seemed to do anything dramatic. Reference is definitely the setting I like the most. Is there any way it could just be the tan walls bouncing light and washing out the black levels? Again, this is my first projector - I'm starting as a total newb here so I apologize if I'm asking silly questions...

Last edited by voodoo1694; Yesterday at 09:20 PM.
post #11736 of 11743 Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Oz - I'm actually using a white spandex screen with grey spandex behind it, but even when projected on the bare tan wall I experienced the same issue needing to decrease brightness. are there any in-menu settings I should look at that could possibly create washed out blacks?
Not sure what a 'spandex' screen is, sounds like some kind of female hosiery. Of course wall or materials you project on to are going to influence your image results. If all your settings are otherwise untouched out of the box, then reference should be yielding a damn sight better picture than you're experiencing currently. I can't think of a way to screw up your black levels that dramatically with settings other than brightness on the projector side. There a few ways to screw it up from the source, like wrong output levels say 0-255 PC vs 16-235 Video. A good question is are you trying other sources, like Cable/Sat/FTA, media players, etc. and experiencing the same issues?

post #11737 of 11743 Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM

I'll try connecting the puck tonight and see what happens... Right now it's hooked up to a SurfacePro3 tablet via DisplayPort-to-HDMI. No strange settings on the SurfacePro3 that I'm aware of.
post #11738 of 11743 Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
I'll try connecting the puck tonight and see what happens... Right now it's hooked up to a SurfacePro3 tablet via DisplayPort-to-HDMI. No strange settings on the SurfacePro3 that I'm aware of.
Unless I missed it, you haven't said what your source devices are, what receiver or pre-pro your connecting through to the 1100, any video processors, etc...what's the "map" of your set up, and what are video related settings in each device (as noted earlier, this sounds like an HDMI brightness range mismatch)

It's hard to help some level of detail...
OzHDHT likes this.
post #11739 of 11743 Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Unless I missed it, you haven't said what your source devices are, what receiver or pre-pro your connecting through to the 1100, any video processors, etc...what's the "map" of your set up, and what are video related settings in each device (as noted earlier, this sounds like an HDMI brightness range mismatch)

It's hard to help some level of detail...
Absolutely nothing. I literally have a Surface Pro hooked up directly to the projector and I'm listening to movies on headphones. It's the absolute saddest thing you'll ever see. The projector is sitting on an ottoman right now - it's not even ceiling mounted since I'm waiting for a chief mount to come in
Everything is trickling in slowly over the next few months... All equipment is ordered or pre-ordered as we speak with exception to a few things, since construction is starting months from now. All I have now is the projector, DIY screen and a SurfacePro3 - nothing betwixt them.

Last edited by voodoo1694; Yesterday at 10:01 PM.
post #11740 of 11743 Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If I was going to straight up target a source issue, I'd say do you happen to know what video levels the Surface is putting out? If it is putting out 16-235 you could have an issue right there. I had an issue with my HTPC after swapping back to an Nvidia GPU a couple of weeks ago and trying to run the output at 10 bits which forced it into limited dynamic range 16-235 @ 4K and washed out my black levels. Fortunately it was very simple to diagnose with Nvidia control panel and switch back to 8 bit get full output range setting back. I would take the Surface out of the equation as a source frankly and try something like a standard blu ray player, or even say normal laptop equipped with Nvidia or ATI graphics. The puck should also be fine to test with of course.
voodoo1694 likes this.

post #11741 of 11743 Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM

Thanks Oz, I'll report back. Just having a minor heart attack here hoping nothing is wrong with this projector..
post #11742 of 11743 Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Oz, I'll report back. Just having a minor heart attack here hoping nothing is wrong with this projector..
No worries. Given your somewhat 'compromised' video source, I would point the finger towards that long before the projector itself.
voodoo1694 likes this.

post #11743 of 11743 Old Today, 12:25 AM

Well, I tried several free demos on the puck and it's really inconclusive... I made sure to put default settings back on 'Reference'. I still feel it's either too bright or washed out in some cases... and now I'm noticing the colors aren't really popping in some demos where I feel they probably should. I saw a Jimmy Kimmel concert as part of the free videos and for the most part, blacks did seem decent (although the fog machine made it a little hard to tell jet black from milky black during parts of the concert). I looked at the TRILUMINOS Display demo and was definitely not impressed. Colors looked somewhat muted and not super pleasing. I figure for a Sony demo, the colors should jump off the screen. "Bright TV" mode helped a little and noticed some reds and greens boosting in saturation a bit (I noticed they punched up the color to "60" for that preset). I really wonder what's happening. I feel like I need someone to take a look at it since I'm not a good judge of what should look normal for a projector. Anyone in Sacramento willing to see if I really have an issue? I really don't have anything to compare this projector to...

Let me also ask the folks with this projector - when the puck is loading a vid and all you see is a black background and white text with the video title, should that black background be totally, 100% deep black? It looks more like a dark grey to me... A lot of mostly-black images projected look dark grey.

Last edited by voodoo1694; Today at 12:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread