Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 397 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1209Likes

post #11881 of 13869 Old 10-07-2015, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What ever this means, i hope it means you got a beta versions and reports only to them...anyway the price will be out of my reach at moment.
I was just curious !
Check out your Cave - VERY impressive, I like the curved Front very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11882 of 13869 Old 10-07-2015, 05:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk44 View Post
What ever this means, i hope it means you got a beta versions and reports only to them...
Yes, the Pro is beta right now. You can join the beta team and get a discounted price on the Pro...

Quote:
anyway the price will be out of my reach at moment.
I was just curious !
Check out your Cave - VERY impressive, I like the curved Front very much
Thank you

My cinema: The Cave!
My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen Pro, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500
post #11883 of 13869 Old 10-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'll probably go for the Lumagen Pro once the UHD Players and discs hit the market and will probably inundate this forum with troubleshooting questions (which I expect to encounter based on past experience with Radiance 2041). In the mean time, I do have the FMP-X10 Sony 4K Media Player which I've only used sparingly (just saw some 4K video clips) with my VPL-VW1100ES since 4K movie downloads cost $29.99 a pop - didn't think it was worth it to download them for that much. I presume the Lumagen Pro would V-Stretch these 4K movies (there was some Sony proprietary block before - presume that's been removed?) Also, would MadVR be able to V-Stretch the 4K movies from FMP-X10? For my own edification, what does it take to add this MadVR into the system - some GPU stuff - and what else and how much does it cost?
post #11884 of 13869 Old 10-07-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3819 Post(s)
Liked: 2300
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
I'll probably go for the Lumagen Pro once the UHD Players and discs hit the market and will probably inundate this forum with troubleshooting questions (which I expect to encounter based on past experience with Radiance 2041). In the mean time, I do have the FMP-X10 Sony 4K Media Player which I've only used sparingly (just saw some 4K video clips) with my VPL-VW1100ES since 4K movie downloads cost $29.99 a pop - didn't think it was worth it to download them for that much. I presume the Lumagen Pro would V-Stretch these 4K movies (there was some Sony proprietary block before - presume that's been removed?) Also, would MadVR be able to V-Stretch the 4K movies from FMP-X10? For my own edification, what does it take to add this MadVR into the system - some GPU stuff - and what else and how much does it cost?
HTPC's do not have HDMI inputs, so no, you can't feed an HTPC with a FMP-X10. It would be great if you could. It would solve a lot of problems.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
post #11885 of 13869 Old 10-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
Also, would MadVR be able to V-Stretch the 4K movies from FMP-X10? For my own edification, what does it take to add this MadVR into the system - some GPU stuff - and what else and how much does it cost?
MadVR is an output filter used in conjunction with computer based media players such as MPC-HC, it won't help you to change the aspect ratio coming from the Sony media box.
You would have save a 4K movie (for example) from the Sony box on an HTPC and save it in such a way that you could play it with MPC-HC _ usually in an ISO container or even a MKV container may work.
Once it's in that form the you could do pretty much what you want with it.
But that's the trick, getting it off the Sony media player into the computer; Sony will have all sorts of things in the way to keep people from doing this.

Last edited by JeffR1; 10-07-2015 at 11:27 AM.
post #11886 of 13869 Old 10-07-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 324
In theory the BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4K should provide UHD capable capture for HTPCs for 199$. Unfortunately reviews are pretty bad, it generally can't capture HDCP protected content, I believe, and it's limited to 10.2Gbps, too. So at this point adding UHD capable HDMI "inputs" to an HTPC doesn't seem to be possible for a reasonable price.
post #11887 of 13869 Old 10-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Murray, yes there is. It's called Smooth Gradation and you can find it under Expert Setting. However, it can help only with minor banding issues.

Are you having issues with banding on the VPL-VW1100ES? Other than on streamed or OTA signals, which I rarely watch, I don't see virtually any banding on Blu-ray. I keep the Smooth Gradation Setting off or, at worst, on Low because I prefer to alter the video signal as little as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Is there such a thing as a setting that banding issues lesson/reduce when used?
post #11888 of 13869 Old 10-09-2015, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
Murray, yes there is. It's called Smooth Gradation and you can find it under Expert Setting. However, it can help only with minor banding issues.

Are you having issues with banding on the VPL-VW1100ES? Other than on streamed or OTA signals, which I rarely watch, I don't see virtually any banding on Blu-ray. I keep the Smooth Gradation Setting off or, at worst, on Low because I prefer to alter the video signal as little as possible.

Well I tend to notice it on certain content, but then I don't know if Im introducing it myself???
I only use my HTPC with Kodi. I rip all my BDs (BD only) and have my complete library of 700+ BDs on the Nas. I notice banding on certain logos at the start of films where say soft round circles may radiate out from centre to the outside of the screen. Light/dark contrasting areas....
I don't really ever see it within the feature that Ive noticed, just on the start logos mostly...

I have always set smooth graduation to low on my 1100, but still I have the banding... Would I be better to use a higher setting?

Or could this be cleaned up within a setting on Kodi?
Ive looked in there but never found a setting for this type of thing...

Would like to lesson the effect if possible...

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild
post #11889 of 13869 Old 10-10-2015, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Well I tend to notice it on certain content, but then I don't know if Im introducing it myself???
I only use my HTPC with Kodi. I rip all my BDs (BD only) and have my complete library of 700+ BDs on the Nas. I notice banding on certain logos at the start of films where say soft round circles may radiate out from centre to the outside of the screen. Light/dark contrasting areas....
I don't really ever see it within the feature that Ive noticed, just on the start logos mostly...

I have always set smooth graduation to low on my 1100, but still I have the banding... Would I be better to use a higher setting?

Or could this be cleaned up within a setting on Kodi?
Ive looked in there but never found a setting for this type of thing...

Would like to lesson the effect if possible...
If you use smooth graduation on your VW1100 you will loose a lot of detail in dark scenes, but you will reduce banding. I stopped using it after finding out the detail loss in the dark end.

Regards
Andreas
My Homecinema
Calibration software: Lightspace and Calman. TPG: Murideo Fresco SIX-G
Meters: Klein K-10 A and Jeti 1501 on preorder. THX II certified.
post #11890 of 13869 Old 10-10-2015, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

@RapalloAV , since you're already an HTPC user, you could try this Kodi build with madVR support:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175

And then activate "processing -> artifact removal -> reduce banding artifacts" in madVR. According to feedback I received from users, madVR's debanding algorithm is better than Sony's (removes more banding artifacts while losing less detail at the same time). You can try whether you need to set it to "low", "medium" or "high" to get rid of those banding artifacts. You can probably keep "low" or "medium" activated at all times cause it doesn't harm image detail much at all. I'd recommend to use "high" only for movies that really need it, though. FWIW, you'll need a somewhat decent GPU to run these algorithms.
post #11891 of 13869 Old 10-10-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
@RapalloAV, since you're already an HTPC user, you could try this Kodi build with madVR support:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175

And then activate "processing -> artifact removal -> reduce banding artifacts" in madVR. According to feedback I received from users, madVR's debanding algorithm is better than Sony's (removes more banding artifacts while losing less detail at the same time). You can try whether you need to set it to "low", "medium" or "high" to get rid of those banding artifacts. You can probably keep "low" or "medium" activated at all times cause it doesn't harm image detail much at all. I'd recommend to use "high" only for movies that really need it, though. FWIW, you'll need a somewhat decent GPU to run these algorithms.
Madshi, I would really like to use madVR with my Kodi but not sure if its difficult to intergrate...
Has anyone here done it with Kodi?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #11892 of 13869 Old 10-10-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Again, don't want to get too much OT here, so my last post about this topic: The version I linked to is a special Kodi build with built in support for madVR. So nothing you need to do to integrate madVR. Just install that special Kodi version and install madVR and you're done. If you have follow-up questions, please PM me, or even better ask in that Kodi forum thread, because my knowledge about that special Kodi build is limited.
post #11893 of 13869 Old 10-10-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 260
So after a few months of ownership I still love my VPL-VW1100ES but here are my "complaints" - anybody with me?

1 - Iris pumping - people say this isn't noticeable but on "auto full" I can sure notice it in some scenes - there have even been some scenes where the iris seems to get confused (night time with candle lit faces cutting back and forth between different characters) and pumps up and down - this is rare, but noticeable.
2 - This projector isn't silent - on high lamp in standard cooling mode I can hear its fans even when its several feet away
3 - I can hear the iris pumping - is this normal?

4 - Blacks still need improvement - it isn't a JVC.

OTOH I love this piece and don't think I will feel the need to switch for several years.
Dirk44 likes this.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
post #11894 of 13869 Old 10-10-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 260
So after a few months of ownership I still love my VPL-VW1100ES but here are my "complaints" - anybody with me?

1 - Iris pumping - people say this isn't noticeable but on "auto full" I can sure notice it in some scenes - there have even been some scenes where the iris seems to get confused (night time with candle lit faces cutting back and forth between different characters) and pumps up and down - this is rare, but noticeable.
2 - This projector isn't silent - on high lamp in standard cooling mode I can hear its fans even when its several feet away

OTOH I love this piece and don't think I will feel the need to switch for several years.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
post #11895 of 13869 Old 10-10-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post

I agree with your #4 , but not on the others.
OzHDHT likes this.
post #11896 of 13869 Old 10-10-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 3104 Post(s)
Liked: 1301
I don't hear my iris pumping. I agree the projector is not "silent" and I don't think anyone ever made that claim, but I'll tell you this...it doesn't really get any quieter than the 1100ES. Out of all the units I've had here, and that's a lot, I haven't heard a quieter one and this is from almost every unit putting out significantly less light. That's impressive. I do agree with 2 and 4. For the price tag they could have made an attempt at more native contrast and auto-full does have a noticeable amount more pumping than auto-limited (for obvious reasons) but in your situation, with your screen size, you can't really use auto-limited. With auto-limited the only time I see it working is basically only when there's a full fade to black. Auto-full can be detected on frequent occasion, but I think I'm particularly sensitive to auto-irises. Seeing it's action can be subjective and I think for the most part it's one of the best out there currently. The one thing I wish you could do is set how far down the iris closes on a full black image. In my opinion it closes too much for extremely dark content.
post #11897 of 13869 Old 10-10-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I hear the iris pumping faintly when the room is very quiet...and if I listen for it, I can easily tune into that sound. This is one of the reasons I sometimes turn the iris off.
post #11898 of 13869 Old 10-11-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Madshi, I would really like to use madVR with my Kodi but not sure if its difficult to intergrate...
Has anyone here done it with Kodi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Again, don't want to get too much OT here, so my last post about this topic: The version I linked to is a special Kodi build with built in support for madVR. So nothing you need to do to integrate madVR. Just install that special Kodi version and install madVR and you're done. If you have follow-up questions, please PM me, or even better ask in that Kodi forum thread, because my knowledge about that special Kodi build is limited.
I've got that version going in 2 of my systems. It really was the missing link. Using MPC-HC in a forced external player set up was really quite sloppy and took away from the general smoothness of KODI itself. Now its fantastic and definitely a big step towards a truly user friendly HTPC front end. So much easier now to be able to hand a tablet to partner, kids or guests and know they can actually control the system if I can't be there to put something on, yet still benefiting from all the MadVR goodness. Big thanks for implementing this Madshi!

Last edited by OzHDHT; 10-11-2015 at 04:57 PM.
post #11899 of 13869 Old 10-11-2015, 11:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post

Have seen this. Some films, eg Zero Dark Thirty, have scenes that seem to sit just on the threshold of the iris transition point and the iris alternates between open and closed. This is one of the few films where I turned the iris off completely. Normally I can tolerate it when I see it (although I'd prefer not to see it at all).

Quote:
Cannot complain about this projector - by far the quietest I have ever owned. The old CRT I had sounded like a jet plane above your head. The first DLP like a hoover. Then the JVC started to get quiet, but was still the loudest noise in the room. The Sony is now quieter than my air-con feed (itself treated for noise) such that on some films I now turn the AC off when the film is quiet to avoid the distraction.

Quote:
Have never heard mine.

Quote:
Cannot disagree. But the projector brings other benefits that offset that, IMO.

Quote:
I'm switching as soon as there's a laser HDR Sony
OzHDHT, d.j. and Mike Garrett like this.

My cinema: The Cave!
My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen Pro, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500
post #11900 of 13869 Old 10-12-2015, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I bought two of them (plus I got a new one with a housing when I bought the 1100ES upgrade kit) and can confirm those bulbs are 100 percent genuine.

The seller still has bare bulbs for sale for those interested here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-LMP-H33...item19fb56cab7

Amazing price if you're willing to swap out the bare bulb!
Has anyone installed one of these replacement bulbs? Does it provide the correct brightness and color temperature?
post #11901 of 13869 Old 10-12-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone else have focus problems most times they start up?
I always wait approx. 15/20mins to let the lamp warm but often find the focus has drifted a small amount next day. Even a ting bit out the resolution just isn't the same, I often have to reset it at startup.
Once set its fine during a showing, but often a tiny bit out again the next day...

Do others have this issue too?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #11902 of 13869 Old 10-12-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Does anyone else have focus problems most times they start up?
I always wait approx. 15/20mins to let the lamp warm but often find the focus has drifted a small amount next day. Even a ting bit out the resolution just isn't the same, I often have to reset it at startup.
Once set its fine during a showing, but often a tiny bit out again the next day...

Do others have this issue too?
Do you 'save' the setting you come up with?
post #11903 of 13869 Old 10-12-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
Do you 'save' the setting you come up with?
No I have never done that and didn't even know that was possible...
I don't use any of the lens memories as I use an Isco II in this setup.
So saving the focus will fix the problem, correct?
How do you do that?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #11904 of 13869 Old 10-12-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No I have never done that and didn't even know that was possible...
I don't use any of the lens memories as I use an Isco II in this setup.
So saving the focus will fix the problem, correct?
How do you do that?
In the lens memory. It remembers the focus, lens shift, and zoom in each mode.
post #11905 of 13869 Old 10-12-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh dear I never thought about that for holding the focus only. Will start immediately!

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #11906 of 13869 Old 10-12-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Millerwill, tell me:
After saving just the focus, when you fire up the 1100 each time does it automatically find that set focus or do you have to press the lens memory for it first?
I don't use the remote as I have everything set through ipad and Rs232, hoping I don't have to set it each time I fire it up....

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #11907 of 13869 Old 10-12-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Millerwill, tell me:
After saving just the focus, when you fire up the 1100 each time does it automatically find that set focus or do you have to press the lens memory for it first?
I don't use the remote as I have everything set through ipad and Rs232, hoping I don't have to set it each time I fire it up....
In 'Picture Position' you can set focus, lens shift, and zoom for each of the locations. If you hit 'Save' after making these settings, the projector will go to those settings for each of the locations you have programmed. Go to the instruction manual to check this all out.
post #11908 of 13869 Old 10-12-2015, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In 'Picture Position' you can set focus, lens shift, and zoom for each of the locations. If you hit 'Save' after making these settings, the projector will go to those settings for each of the locations you have programmed. Go to the instruction manual to check this all out.

Yes understand that...
But what I wanted to know is:
Since I will be only saving 16.9 and focus (A lens) one memory only. Will that always be remembered without hitting say memory 1 when I start up the projector?
It will never move off this one only memory setting....

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #11909 of 13869 Old 10-12-2015, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 3104 Post(s)
Liked: 1301
I've noticed there is decent amount of "warm up drift" in terms of focus and convergence. I've never set memories to see if I can set the focus to be perfect after the ~30 minute warm up cycle. I suppose the only way to see if it works is to test it out. Though, I will way that the 1100ES is not the only culprit of this. I've noticed most projectors have the exact same issue. It makes sense as the heat expands things and makes them shift.
post #11910 of 13869 Old 10-12-2015, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I've noticed there is decent amount of "warm up drift" in terms of focus and convergence. I've never set memories to see if I can set the focus to be perfect after the ~30 minute warm up cycle. I suppose the only way to see if it works is to test it out. Though, I will way that the 1100ES is not the only culprit of this. I've noticed most projectors have the exact same issue. It makes sense as the heat expands things and makes them shift.
Seegs you are in the same boat as me and I too came to this exact conclusion years ago. Ive seen this same focus drift at start-up on every JVC I have had too, right up to the last X9000 I had. Maybe you and I are more fanatical about this than others as its not often mentioned. Im a bit sceptical that the lens memory will fix this focus drift at start up, but I will give it a go tonight and report back...

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page