Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 400 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1227Likes

Old 10-18-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3569 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
HDR was never in the discussion, so I don't think you can consider it. Also other than HDR, what will you be missing with any disc that comes out next year?
How about any content that's 10 bit with more than 24fps? This type of content is in the UHD BD spec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4545 Post(s)
Liked: 2739
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
I see one of three things:

- The UHD standard will officially support a variety of output performance specs/levels, and the 1100 technically meets one or more of them (meaning no HDR and 709 or P3 color is stil acceptable). Not the best outcome for us...

- Sony has an upgrade planned that we haven't heard about yet

- They lied. (based on Ms Escobio's statement, as product manager, that Sony would upgrade the 1000/née 1100 to the 4K standard for consumers AND one interprets the 1100 limitations as not meeting that public promise.

By keeping the 1100 active for the next couple of years, they sort of exacerbate the comparisons to the standard.

Adjunct to this- don't you need more brightness on the 1100 to be able to render HDR effectively?
I do not agree with that expectation. When 4K BD comes out, the 1100 will be able to play it in full, with exception of HDR. None of the new projectors can fully do HDR. Name one other projector that has been on the bleeding edge for as long as the VW1000? This projector started shipping February 2012 and in 2016 it will play the new 4K BD. As I said, name me one other projector that has done this?
Andreas21 likes this.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Considering the 665ES is rated for 200 lumens less than the 1100ES, I don't see why they couldn't add HDR support for this model.

I really hope we can get some sort of an official statement from Sony rather than them leave us in a state of limbo wondering. If it's true that the 1100ES will remain in their product lineup for another 2-3 years wouldn't it make sense for them to upgrade it to support HDR and HDMI 2.0a? I mean, who would spend the extra money on it over the 665ES if it offered less functionality with the new UHD standard?

I've read that Sony keeps tabs on this thread. I hope who ever watches this thread can please inform us if Sony has an upgrade for us or not. We don't need all the details right this second, just confirmation if one is coming or not.
I asked if it was possible to upgrade my VW600 and I was told, it is not a software update. Also told it sounded like it was time to upgrade my projector.

mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo1694 View Post
Being relatively new to the projector world (and to Sony products in general), how common is it for Sony to keep supporting hardware upgrades to their products? Also, what is the likelihood that we might see a VW1200ES at another show in the near-ish future? I'm truly hoping they keep supporting our VW1X00ES's but I'm skeptical at this point. I feel like they would just come out with an entirely new product instead of supporting ours...
Providing hardware upgrades does not happen very often with electronics.

mike@avscience.com
Old 10-18-2015, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I never have to refocus and use zoom extensively. I have a setting for 1.85:1, 2.35:1, and 16:9 as custom. About my only complaint is that when I switch back from to the custom setting, I always have to use shift to lower the image a few clicks. My projector is not inverted. I wish it would remember my EXACT saved position, but can live with this slight annoyance.

As for blacks, they could always be better, even on the JVCs. It's still better than the theater.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one."

My HT gear
Old 10-18-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Mike, Do I expect another upgrade or do I think Sony owes us one? No. Would I like to see another upgrade to 2.0a? Absolutely.

Does anyone have a link or know who at Sony made the comment of 2 years or so of additional life cycle for the 1100?

If a 1200 comes out next year then an upgrade will most certainly never come. If the 1100 is a current model for a few additional years...and with HDR content streaming now and with HDR UHD BD coming in a few months, then I think it would be a good call by Sony to do a second revision, which would be easy to implement with the modular design of the 1000/1100.
If I recall correctly, customers were told that they would be able to play 4K movies on their projectors.

mike@avscience.com
Old 10-18-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
How about any content that's 10 bit with more than 24fps? This type of content is in the UHD BD spec.
Can anyone show where Sony in 2013, promised to provide a projector that meets the full UHD BD spec?

mike@avscience.com
Old 10-18-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well Mike, the historical reference here is not has any other projector that has done this (none I'm sure), but what Sony promised with the 1000 in terms of full 4k support.

If there are one or more specs that are in the baseline standard that the 1100 cannot support, then there is some basis for contention that Sony is not delivering on that public promise. So when you say with the exception of HDR, how does that fit with the public statements at the time?

If, as I suppose, the "standard" includes a core (smaller) set of features to still be considered fully compliant, than I'm sure the 1100 fit the bill.

Now more importantly, what's the latest on the Microlite's!?
I could be wrong, but I thought they promised that you would be able to play 4K BD movies on the VW1000. Also at that time, the only thing needed to be able to play 4K was HDCP 2.2. At the time the problem was lack of HDCP 2.2 and that has been provided. Now you want the full UHD BD spec? I would like HDR on my VW600, but I don't think that Sony owes it to me.

mike@avscience.com
Old 10-18-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Now more importantly, what's the latest on the Microlite's!?
I will shoot you an email.

mike@avscience.com
Old 10-19-2015, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I thought they promised that you would be able to play 4K BD movies on the VW1000. Also at that time, the only thing needed to be able to play 4K was HDCP 2.2. At the time the problem was lack of HDCP 2.2 and that has been provided. Now you want the full UHD BD spec? I would like HDR on my VW600, but I don't think that Sony owes it to me.
I recall Amy discussing compatibility as more about bandwidth and format (i.e. 4k60) and not about copy protection issues. Need to re-find the Screen Innovations video...

The branding of UHD and the associated spec didn't exist in 2012, so Sony couldn't have explicitly state that - but the point is more: what did Sony mean/intend by saying the 1000 was designed to be future-proofed regarding 4k playback in the home?

As others have mentioned, carrying the 1100 to a 1200 model (same chassis, same lens, and same format SXRD etc.) allows greater monetization of the original engineering and manufacturing of the platform, and helps maintain a greater differentiation than the $12k less-expensive 665. New logic board, even improved power-supply and SXRD in the same component format as the existing 1100 modules, would extend their investment with far less engineering and testing than a whole new platform.

I mean, maybe 5% of 1100 owners will look to be 5000 owners - at this pricing gap, there are really two different high end markets Sony is intending to cater to. But a 1200 upgrade kit to bring 18 gbps, new processing, HDR, and perhaps CMS/gamma calibration settings would likely be of interest to the other 95% of 1100 owners.

Come up with a board price with a fair profit margin built in ($1500, $2000, whatever) and a tiered labor fee based on region and/or method - $250 plus shipping to return to Sony in the US, or $400-600 for in-home upgrade depending upon location...I'm just pissing numbers in the wind, but I surmise something equitable could be calculated.

If the fear is they would be siphoning high end users away from turning to the 5000, I guess that's a question if my 5% estimate above is too low...But in many other ways, it seems a new 1200 and an upgrade to existing 1100 owners is at least a plausible scenario.
stevenjw, G-Rex and psychdoc like this.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I recall Amy discussing compatibility as more about bandwidth and format (i.e. 4k60) and not about copy protection issues. Need to re-find the Screen Innovations video...

The branding of UHD and the associated spec didn't exist in 2012, so Sony couldn't have explicitly state that - but the point is more: what did Sony mean/intend by saying the 1000 was designed to be future-proofed regarding 4k playback in the home?

As others have mentioned, carrying the 1100 to a 1200 model (same chassis, same lens, and same format SXRD etc.) allows greater monetization of the original engineering and manufacturing of the platform, and helps maintain a greater differentiation than the $12k less-expensive 665. New logic board, even improved power-supply and SXRD in the same component format as the existing 1100 modules, would extend their investment with far less engineering and testing than a whole new platform.

I mean, maybe 5% of 1100 owners will look to be 5000 owners - at this pricing gap, there are really two different high end markets Sony is intending to cater to. But a 1200 upgrade kit to bring 18 gbps, new processing, HDR, and perhaps CMS/gamma calibration settings would likely be of interest to the other 95% of 1100 owners.

Come up with a board price with a fair profit margin built in ($1500, $2000, whatever) and a tiered labor fee based on region and/or method - $250 plus shipping to return to Sony in the US, or $400-600 for in-home upgrade depending upon location...I'm just pissing numbers in the wind, but I surmise something equitable could be calculated.

If the fear is they would be siphoning high end users away from turning to the 5000, I guess that's a question if my 5% estimate above is too low...But in many other ways, it seems a new 1200 and an upgrade to existing 1100 owners is at least a plausible scenario.
I don't understand why people think that Sony is obligated to offer the latest technology to their current projector as an upgrade? I don't expect Toyota to offer me the latest improvements that come out in the next generation of cars, even though I bought the top of the line model.

mike@avscience.com
Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 180
So its been confirmed that of all the new bells and whistles in the Ultra HD Blu-ray specs, the only thing they are supporting for the foreseeable future that the 1100ES can't do is HDR? What about bit-depth? I thought I read they would have 10-bit, but I can't find where I saw that now.

And on large and/or unity gain screens, the 1100ES isn't going to have the brightness to do HDR anyway.

Quote:
I don't understand why people think that Sony is obligated to offer the latest technology to their current projector as an upgrade? I don't expect Toyota to offer me the latest improvements that come out in the next generation of cars, even though I bought the top of the line model.
Mike, its because we were promised. It isn't that difficult to understand. I think most agree that the original upgrade was rushed and should have waited until we got closer to the new HDMI specs--all that upgrade was focused on was the HDCP specs and really was just so Sony could push their now discontinued media servers.

Just like it isn't ok we got a press release promising Amazon 4K streaming in the X10 we are never going to get. I don't think we need to pretend that Sony is real high on the credibility scale right now with 1000ES/1100ES owners.

Matt

UMR on HDR vs 4K: The benefit of greater saturation and luminance capability is...not very evident in all images unlike more pixels which can be seen in every scene.

Last edited by turls; 10-19-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
So its been confirmed that of all the new bells and whistles in the Ultra HD Blu-ray specs, the only thing they are supporting for the foreseeable future that the 1100ES can't do is HDR? What about bit-depth? I thought I read they would have 10-bit, but I can't find where I saw that now.

And on large and/or unity gain screens, the 1100ES isn't going to have the brightness to do HDR anyway.
Well, as Seegs pointed out, the higher-lumen 1100 has a little more chance to achieve this than the HDR-marketed 665...
Old 10-19-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe this is the video you're referring to:

stevenjw, OzHDHT and voodoo1694 like this.

Last edited by Seegs108; 10-19-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
I don't remember off the top of my head, but I don't think you can use BFI and CFI at the same time on the Sony. I don't normally enable either on the Sony or any other projector that I have. I typically enable it just to see how it performs when I first get a projector. I haven't particularly liked the look of any CFI system as of yet. I'd say Mitsubishi had the least terrible CFI out of them all.

Yes, you can - the motionflow you can use off, low or high independing of BFI ( on / off )
And both of them higher the motion resolution ( but the BFI cost a lot off light, the CFI not ) in 24P.
In 50/60P only the "low" CFI can be used - in high mode setting there, it still use the low setting ( 1 interpolated frames inserted between frames ) because there isnt processing / "frames" speed enought for the high setting, which normally insert 3 interpolated frames between every frame and then the Black frames after that ( would need 480 Hz to do that ).

Personally I really like the "low" setting on motionflow ( looks a lot more fluid, sharp, natural and life like, but dosnt take all the "movielook" away, IMO ).

dj
G-Rex, Seegs108 and Andreas21 like this.

Last edited by d.j.; 10-19-2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: expanding text
Old 10-19-2015, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

https://youtu.be/3t9DQIpFzJU?t=228
Wow, great catch Seegs!
Old 10-19-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I don't understand why people think that Sony is obligated to offer the latest technology to their current projector as an upgrade? .

Seems a lot easier to understand now.
voodoo1694 likes this.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

https://youtu.be/3t9DQIpFzJU?t=228
I listened to the pod cast and the 1100 does in its current form, everything that she said it would do.

mike@avscience.com
Old 10-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

I totally agree. In fact, add even more profit for Sony regarding the upgrade and I'm still doing it, with a big smile on my face. I can convince the wife on an upgrade but there is no chance on convincing her on buying a new projector for a very very long time. I really hope Sony makes an upgrade, it will make everyone happy, including Sony if they do this right. Time will tell.....
G-Rex likes this.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

It may prove helpful, especially if Sony is reading, for someone to set up a poll that lists: owners of 1100 who will or will not upgrade to the 5000. Those that will not upgrade to the 5000... what % of them are willing to upgrade the 1100's mother board and at what price. I agree with Thrang in the 5% (or maybe even less) of those willing to spend $60,000 for a new projector. I would certainly not be in that 5%.

Technology has slowed down a bit, and it would be a shame if this $28,000 projector, that is still near state of the art, did not get one more upgrade.

I don't think anyone is saying Sony is obligated to do it, but it makes financial sense for them to do it, and it would be a nice thing for them to do for their customers, especially in light of the rushed limited spec upgrade board and the very short lived and now defunct media player and 4K service.
psychdoc likes this.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
I listened to the pod cast and the 1100 does in its current form, everything that she said it would do.
Because end users don't mind getting burnt by semantics on a 20K+ purchase? It doesn't fully support the follow up Blu-ray standard and it doesn't fully support HDMI 2.0 (no 18Gbit/s chips). I guess we should be lucky it supports HDCP 2.2 since technically it would have been ok for them to skip that since they never specifically mentioned HDCP either.

Its like I've said before, if Sony was going to go to all this trouble to offer an upgrade, it would have been great for all parties involved for them to just do it right. Instead, you've got many Sony supporters just having to write the whole "futureproofing" promise as just more marketing spin.

Matt

UMR on HDR vs 4K: The benefit of greater saturation and luminance capability is...not very evident in all images unlike more pixels which can be seen in every scene.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

They instead created a buzz for the 4K movie service that most of us yelped like lapdogs that we wanted right away. Knowing what the service was (which we couldn't), Sony created a false need/desire which was passively manipulative. The service sucked, still sucks, and they had to know it. Why launch it?

YOU still made the decision to buy that stuff.
Yes Sony suckered you in by appealing to the "I must have the best and be the first to have the best" compulsion that resides in you and a lot of other members here.

But the fault is your own.
You still had to take the bait.
And you did.

I have still not upgraded my 1000es.
I will probably do so early next year.

Either that or I will take the plunge and get that 65inch OLED(HDR compris)
Patience is a virtue as they say.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

When Sony started talking about the upgrade kit, people were calling me nearly every day asking when is Sony going to start offering the upgrade and why was it taking so long. Most the posters sounded like they were ready to lynch Sony if they could. I remember the posts and they are still there for anyone to look at. At that time there were no 18gbps chips. Now you guys are complaining that Sony should have waited a couple more years to offer the upgrade. Sounds like a no win situation for Sony. Not happy if upgrade is offered. Not happy because upgrade was offered too soon. If the upgrade was offered today, many would be unhappy in a year or two from now, because their projector can't do 2020 or HDR very well and once again say Sony should have waited. I still ask the same question that not one single person has answered. Name me one single under 30K projector that has stayed on the bleeding edge for as long as the VW1000?
mark haflich and cdnscg like this.

mike@avscience.com
Old 10-20-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
YOU still made the decision to buy that stuff.
Yes Sony suckered you in by appealing to the "I must have the best and be the first to have the best" compulsion that resides in you and a lot of other members here.

But the fault is your own.
You still had to take the bait.
And you did.

I have still not upgraded my 1000es.
I will probably do so early next year.

Either that or I will take the plunge and get that 65inch OLED(HDR compris)
Patience is a virtue as they say.
The upgrade isn't offered at the $2500 rate anymore. Sony will be charging full price for the board and you'll need to pay for shipping to and from the service center as well as the labor rate to have it swapped out.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Sorry Mike, you have this a little wrong. It's about what would have been the best and most complete way to fulfill the stated 4K standard promise. It has nothing to do with any other projector's feature set life span...no other manufacturer I'm aware of was taking this position, so it's a different perspective

Anyway, what's wrong with the prospect of a new 1200 and an upgrade kit? I mean, if they are continuing to sell the 1100, and an evolutionary 1200 on the same platform is released in 2016, what do you tell the customers who bought an 1100 a month or two prior? These aren't throw away dollar amounts...
That is the same situation for pretty much any buyer of a projector, car, camera, TV or pretty much any other electronic device. Every year new products are released. Many of those products are on a one year cycle.

Also, how could Sony completely fulfill the promise of a standard that was not set yet and parts not available at the time. I sure do not see it going very well, if Sony had waited until now to offer the upgrade, so that you could have 18gbps chips. Especially when you would not have been able to watch any of the 4K content that has been out there for the last year. Saying that you would not watch it is a lot different, than not being able to choose to watch it.
mark haflich likes this.

mike@avscience.com

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 10-20-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is the same situation for pretty much any buyer of a projector, car, camera, TV or pretty much any other electronic device. Every year new products are released. Many of those products are on a one year cycle.

Also, how could Sony completely fulfill the promise of a standard that was not set yet and parts not available at the time. I sure do not see it going very well, if Sony had waited until now to offer the upgrade, so that you could have 18gbps chips. Especially when you would not have been able to watch any of the 4K content that has been out there for the last year. Saying that you would not watch it is a lot different, than not being able to choose to watch it.
Not at all, Mike. I mean, Phil Schiller doesn't get up on the stage at an Apple event and say that my new iPhone 6 is future proofed.

BMW doesn't say that my new 7 series will get a new engine in the future to take advantage of a forthcoming energy technology
stevenjw, OzHDHT and RapalloAV like this.

Last edited by thrang; 11-18-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
The upgrade isn't offered at the $2500 rate anymore. Sony will be charging full price for the board and you'll need to pay for shipping to and from the service center as well as the labor rate to have it swapped out.
I live in the UK and the upgrade(I bought my Sony from a UK dealer) is £2600($4019) so I was always screwed financially by US standards!

+
No tablet and whatever other gizmos were offered to the US owners.....just the new motherboard and HDMI ports.

My dealer(through Sony Europe/UK) is still offering the upgrade so it is not an issue.
I may do the upgrade and still bite the bullet on an OLED....and get the best of both worlds!
Old 10-20-2015, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
When Sony started talking about the upgrade kit, people were calling me nearly every day asking when is Sony going to start offering the upgrade and why was it taking so long. Most the posters sounded like they were ready to lynch Sony if they could. I remember the posts and they are still there for anyone to look at. At that time there were no 18gbps chips. Now you guys are complaining that Sony should have waited a couple more years to offer the upgrade. Sounds like a no win situation for Sony. Not happy if upgrade is offered. Not happy because upgrade was offered too soon. If the upgrade was offered today, many would be unhappy in a year or two from now, because their projector can't do 2020 or HDR very well and once again say Sony should have waited. I still ask the same question that not one single person has answered. Name me one single under 30K projector that has stayed on the bleeding edge for as long as the VW1000?
I never called trying to hurry the upgrade. I remember complaints from some wanting to wait until the 18gbps chips were available. Sony should have waited until the chips were available.
stevenjw and G-Rex like this.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Not at all, Mike. I mean, Phil Schiller doesn't get up on the stage at an Apple event and say that my new iPhone 6 is future proofed.

BMW doesn't say that my new 7 series will get a new engine in the future to take advantage of a forthcoming energy technology

Is Sony expressing some concern to you that this is the sentiment being raised in this forum by some owners?
No.

mike@avscience.com
Old 10-20-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
BS.

If the best defense is caveat emptor, then Sony will be held in far less regard by its customers.

They also implied you needed to do the upgrade at the time to provide proper 4K compatibility and that there was a distinct cut off to being able to upgrade past a certain point in time - and that last part is probably true.

Further, this POV is partly based on the implications of future-proofing, not just a pie in the sky hope. There are levels of ramification for taking certain public positions and not properly meeting the expectations set.

You said it.....Sony "implied" there would be a cut off point(at least for US owners).
But they never "confirmed" it.

They dangled those superficial 4K lollypops in front of you and you subsequently succumbed to each and everyone of them.
You should have waited.
In the UK the upgrade was much more expensive than the US (and with far fewer goodies thrown in too).
But had I been a US 1000es owner in 2013 I still would not have bitten the bullet.

It's all in the marketing.
Sony knew they had you addicted.
But you ultimately decide when to take the next dose

That same eagerness to attain "the best" was evident with the hoopla surrounding the new Sony 5000.....until it's price acted as an ironic deterrent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector