Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 403 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1227Likes

Old 10-24-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H View Post
vw1000? It doesn't support 2.2... The vw1100 *should*?
Sorry, guess I wasn't clear - I have a vw1100 (got the board upgrade done a few months ago).

Anyway the update is that I got the Roku 4 working finally at 4K on the projector - watched a bit of "Narcos" on Netflix - looks great. Haven't gotten Vudu working yet.

However I was never able to get the "4K UHD 10 Bit Color" option on the Roku to work - if I selected it my screen just goes blue. I had to reset the Roku and go back to the regular "4K UHD" resolution.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2015, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post
Sorry, guess I wasn't clear - I have a vw1100 (got the board upgrade done a few months ago).

Anyway the update is that I got the Roku 4 working finally at 4K on the projector - watched a bit of "Narcos" on Netflix - looks great. Haven't gotten Vudu working yet.

However I was never able to get the "4K UHD 10 Bit Color" option on the Roku to work - if I selected it my screen just goes blue. I had to reset the Roku and go back to the regular "4K UHD" resolution.
Where are you seeing that option?
Old 10-24-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
I don't have one of these, but I'm wondering what you guys think a used VW1100 is likely to be worth now from a trustworthy source. I was thinking maybe $12k. Does that seem off?

Thanks,
Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Old 10-24-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked: 2717
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
I don't have one of these, but I'm wondering what you guys think a used VW1100 is likely to be worth now from a trustworthy source. I was thinking maybe $12k. Does that seem off?

Thanks,
Darin
Sent you a PM.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3534 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:

Thanks,
Darin
That's about right maybe a little more depending on condition, how many hours are on it and what extras come with it (lamps, 4K media player ect).
Old 10-24-2015, 06:59 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

Thanks,
Darin
This is a great question I was wondering the same thing myself
Old 10-24-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:

Thanks,
Darin
I am in for about $11,500 for mine, included full Sony factory 3 year warranty from my date of purchase, American unit, dealer demo. Also included a new lamp, the sony puck and the tablet. This purchase was only a few months ago.

If my unit did not have the warranty I would not have been willing to pay more than $10,000 for an 1100ES, and no more than $8,000 for the 1000ES.

You can still get brand new 1100's imported from Japan for $12,000 including shipping. So if you are shopping a used American unit out of warranty, personally I'd buy the import.
Bill Cruce likes this.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum

Last edited by chrisreeves; 10-24-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am in for about $11,500 for mine, included full Sony factory 3 year warranty from my date of purchase, American unit, dealer demo. Also included a new lamp, the sony puck and the tablet. This purchase was only a few months ago.

If my unit did not have the warranty I would not have been willing to pay more than $10,000 for an 1100ES, and no more than $8,000 for the 1000ES.

You can still get brand new 1100's imported from Japan for $12,000 including shipping. So if you are shopping a used American unit out of warranty, personally I'd buy the import.
I don't know about that. I don't see much value of the one year warranty, since you have to send it back to Japan for service. Same goes for out of warranty repair. At least with the US model, you can have it repaired in the US.

mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:26 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

I may be in the market for a used 1100ES for a temporary situation of about 4-6 months so if anyone has one for sale in that range please PM me.Hopefully this has not broken forum rules
Old 10-25-2015, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
I may be in the market for a used 1100ES for a temporary situation of about 4-6 months so if anyone has one for sale in that range please PM me.Hopefully this has not broken forum rules
Sent you a PM.

mike@avscience.com
Old 10-25-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
I realize this is just supposed to be temporary, but have you considered stacking a couple of the new JVC's?

--Darin
Old 10-25-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 366
I am working on my listing and price.

I will include an extra lamp. This true 1100 has less then 200 hours too.

My Sony 5000ES Review PART 2 FINISHED:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1462841668379

Last edited by joerod; 10-29-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I realize this is just supposed to be temporary, but have you considered stacking a couple of the new JVC's?

--Darin
Problem is, he is wanting something now to use temporary, until his new projector arrives around February of next year.

mike@avscience.com
Old 10-26-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
I'm guessing that triggers a 10 bit mode that the 1100ES doesn't support (and that it would require higher bandwidth chips). I never got around to trying mine yet.

Matt

UMR on HDR vs 4K: The benefit of greater saturation and luminance capability is...not very evident in all images unlike more pixels which can be seen in every scene.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before - for some reason, when I pop in a Mastered in 4K blu ray into my Oppo 103 and enable "mastered in 4K" on 1100ES, the image quality goes in the opposite direction (starts looking like an upscaled DVD) and if I don't activate the mastered in 4K option, the image is sharp - actually discernibly sharper I should say - The Men in Black Part 1 Mastered in 4K Blu ray looked like "Lawrence in Arabia" blu ray in terms of image quality. What exact settings are required when enabling the Mastered in 4K option on 1100ES?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before - for some reason, when I pop in a Mastered in 4K blu ray into my Oppo 103 and enable "mastered in 4K" on 1100ES, the image quality goes in the opposite direction (starts looking like an upscaled DVD) and if I don't activate the mastered in 4K option, the image is sharp - actually discernibly sharper I should say - The Men in Black Part 1 Mastered in 4K Blu ray looked like "Lawrence in Arabia" blu ray in terms of image quality. What exact settings are required when enabling the Mastered in 4K option on 1100ES?

I think that is normal ( and correct ), because IIRC the 103 Oppo dosnt support "mastered in 4K" !? ( I only think the Sony BR players do ) - have you seen a setting in the Oppo 103, where you can turn "mastered in 4K " on / off.

My Oppo 93 do not have it, and it do the same thing Picture wise with the 1100 ( the "normal" setting is sharper than the "mastered in 4K" setting, which is looking a little softer - I never use it ).

dj
Old 10-28-2015, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks d.j. - I'd been scratching my head over this for a while now. I don't believe there's any such thing as "Mastered in 4K" in Oppo 103 settings. Wonder if this also has something to with not being able to upscale 1080 p24 to 3840 p24, p30, or p60 using a Lumagen Radiance 2041 - same deal - image becomes soft. Exchanged numerous emails w/Lumagen and played around with the Lumagen settings quite a bit and eventually gave up on it as I don't have time to fool around with it to eternity. Add to this, Lumagen suddenly glitches out - always seems to happen when I have guests home and I'm trying to do a demo! So, removed Lumagen out of the loop and am happy with whatever Sony is doing, glitch-free.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'm about to purchase an 1100 and have a question regarding the placement of the projector. My plan is to have it hidden "behind the wall" in a closet and this closet is approx 57cm wide. Considering the projector being 52cm wide, will this be a problem?

The closet will always be open (when projector in use) from the rear at the exhaust vents but how important is it with the space on the sides?
Old 10-29-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
I'm about to purchase an 1100 and have a question regarding the placement of the projector. My plan is to have it hidden "behind the wall" in a closet and this closet is approx 57cm wide. Considering the projector being 52cm wide, will this be a problem?

The closet will always be open (when projector in use) from the rear at the exhaust vents but how important is it with the space on the sides?
Is it also shelf mounted? I think it will overheat. Especially if mounted pretty high in the closet.

mike@avscience.com
Old 10-29-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The exhaust exits at the back of the unit. There needs to be at least 6 inches of room behind the unit for adequate cooling imo, if not more for better cooling performance.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The exhaust exits at the back of the unit. There needs to be at least 6 inches of room behind the unit for adequate cooling imo, if not more for better cooling performance.
Yes, and like i wrote, it will always be open from the back. It`s the space on the sides that i'm unsure about.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Is it also shelf mounted? I think it will overheat. Especially if mounted pretty high in the closet.
Yes, placed on a shelf. If the side space is important, i can always open up the sides as well with some closet tweaking. That way, there will be plenty of room from both sides and the rear.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
Yes, placed on a shelf. If the side space is important, i can always open up the sides as well with some closet tweaking. That way, there will be plenty of room from both sides and the rear.
On the sides you should be fine. The intake is in the front around the lens. I would just make sure nothing is close to the top of the unit as that can get toasty.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
On the sides you should be fine. The intake is in the front around the lens. I would just make sure nothing is close to the top of the unit as that can get toasty.
I agree. The sides don't matter. I would ensure the front and the back can get enough air. I'm sure it's been done, placing it into a box, but I've been impressed with the significant heat it puts out and would be hesitant to do that with my 1100. Will the box be kept extra cool??? If I don't have the AC on in my theater it gets warm quickly even if I'm the only person watching a movie. Then again, I live in Hawaii and it's always warm here. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
I agree. The sides don't matter. I would ensure the front and the back can get enough air. I'm sure it's been done, placing it into a box, but I've been impressed with the significant heat it puts out and would be hesitant to do that with my 1100. Will the box be kept extra cool??? If I don't have the AC on in my theater it gets warm quickly even if I'm the only person watching a movie. Then again, I live in Hawaii and it's always warm here. Good luck.
The sides matter, especially if the shelf is close to the ceiling. Take the box that your projector came in. Turn it on it's side and stick your projector in the box, allowing 6" of clearance between the box and the back of your projector.Now look at that and tell me if you would run your projector like that? Now if the shelf is several feet down from the ceiling and there is not a bulkhead, trapping heat near the top of the projector, then it will not be as bad, but I would not run my projector like that.

mike@avscience.com
Old 10-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Lamp Replacement

I have 1800+ hours on the first bulb in my 1100 set to high lamp. I have been noticing, for a couple of weeks, a drop in black level resembling a incorrect gamma setting. Last night I switched between low and high lamp that produced almost no change in brightness. Time to change the lamp. This morning I opened the replacement bulb I purchased from the Ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111590951607...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The replacement was straight forward. After removing the lamp assembly from the projector there were 8 screws to get the lamp out. You will need a #1 and #0 Phillips screwdrivers and a pair of needle nose pliers. I also put on a pair of nitrile hospital gloves ($9.99 for a box of 200 gloves at Costco...well worth it) and a can of compressed air to make sure no packing debris is left on the lamp.

After replacement and I used the menus to acknowledge a new lamp was installed which resets the lamp timer. The image was much brighter and all appeared to be functioning normally.

If anyone has replaced the complete assembly and has the undamaged old complete housing, I would be willing to offer $65.00, including shipping, for the assembly. I would like to have a spare ready for replacement. PM me if you are interested. PROBLEM SOLVED...GOT THE HOUSINGS!

John

FS: Lumagen VIDEXT HDMI Cable Extender
Maybe FS: Sony BDP-CX7000ES (3)
FS: Quantum Data 780 Pattern Generator/Analyzer

Last edited by netroamer; 10-30-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
I have 1800+ hours on the first bulb in my 1100 set to high lamp. I have been noticing, for a couple of weeks, a drop in black level resembling a incorrect gamma setting. Last night I switched between low and high lamp that produced almost no change in brightness. Time to change the lamp. This morning I opened the replacement bulb I purchased from the Ebay seller:

The replacement was straight forward. After removing the lamp assembly from the projector there were 8 screws to get the lamp out. You will need a #1 and #0 Phillips screwdrivers and a pair of needle nose pliers. I also put on a pair of nitrile hospital gloves ($9.99 for a box of 200 gloves at Costco...well worth it) and a can of compressed air to make sure no packing debris is left on the lamp.

After replacement and I used the menus to acknowledge a new lamp was installed which resets the lamp timer. The image was much brighter and all appeared to be functioning normally.

If anyone has replaced the complete assembly and has the undamaged old complete housing, I would be willing to offer $65.00, including shipping, for the assembly. I would like to have a spare ready for replacement. PM me if you are interested. PROBLEM SOLVED...GOT THE HOUSINGS!
Replacing just the bulb instead of the whole assembly appears to be much more cost effective. Does anyone know if there is a downside to this?
Old 10-30-2015, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Replacing just the bulb instead of the whole assembly appears to be much more cost effective. Does anyone know if there is a downside to this?
I asked about the bulb in a post a few pages back but did not get any replys. The bulb has all the markings of a genuine replacement. Unless you have ten thumbs the replacement is easy so long as you remember how all the screws and parts go. Taking before photos as you progress should help. Other than making sure one clip is replaced correctly, there are no alignments required. After replacement I projected SEMPTE color bar and pluge patterns and everything appears nominal.

John

FS: Lumagen VIDEXT HDMI Cable Extender
Maybe FS: Sony BDP-CX7000ES (3)
FS: Quantum Data 780 Pattern Generator/Analyzer

Last edited by netroamer; 10-30-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post

Good work!
I too want and old lamp housing, Ive tried everywhere in NZ to get one but cant for love nor money!
I cant even get Sony to help out....
Even the seller of these ebay lamps cant get me one.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild
Old 10-30-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
And did the new lamp look a heap brighter on HIGH than the old lamp at 1800 hours?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector