post #12691 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
Just invested in a 1.25 ISCO DLP anamorphic lens and a corresponding Cineslide to pair with my 1000es.
Since you already have 4K it will be interesting to hear how you feel the extra PPI affects the images.

What are you going to use to scale the images?

What are the main advantages you expect to gain over not using the lens?

Thanks,
Darin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
Since you already have 4K it will be interesting to hear how you feel the extra PPI affects the images.

What are you going to use to scale the images?

What are the main advantages you expect to gain over not using the lens?

Thanks,
Darin
The Lens and Slide wont be with me for a few weeks yet.
I am going to use the internal V-Stretch scaler.

Probably the main advantage I hope to gain is a light increase(how substantial will be determined) as well as the elimination of the Black bars which overshoot the borders..... which are always noticeable on my screen during darker scenes.

I also like the idea that I will be able to alternate between different aspect ratios in a more "cinematic" fashion.

the lens memory on my 1000es zooms into the image first and then shunts up or down depending on your configuration(up in my case).Not a very fluid movement shall we say.

My model's lens memory function requires a manual adjustment to optimize sharpness after the zoom is complete. This has always been the case.
Hoping the A-Lens will provide a more efficient acclimatization between ratios.
But I am excited as this is my first A-lens.
post #12693 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3825 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
I was using an ISCO IIIL with the 1100ES and my HTPC for vertical scaling. Excellent results. I'm sure the 1.25x lens will be a similar experience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
FS: Sony VPL-VW665ES Native 4K, 3D & HDR Capable Projector
post #12694 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
The Lens and Slide wont be with me for a few weeks yet.
I am going to use the internal V-Stretch scaler.

Probably the main advantage I hope to gain is a light increase(how substantial will be determined) as well as the elimination of the Black bars which overshoot the borders..... which are always noticeable on my screen during darker scenes.

I also like the idea that I will be able to alternate between different aspect ratios in a more "cinematic" fashion.

the lens memory on my 1000es zooms into the image first and then shunts up or down depending on your configuration(up in my case).Not a very fluid movement shall we say.

My model's lens memory function requires a manual adjustment to optimize sharpness after the zoom is complete. This has always been the case.
Hoping the A-Lens will provide a more efficient acclimatization between ratios.
But I am excited as this is my first A-lens.
You can expect around 15-20% more light compared to zooming, that is what I got when I used the Isco 1.25X Cinema DLP with my VW1100. And it is about the same I got when I used the Isco 4Xl with my X500.

Regards
Andreas
My Homecinema
Calibration software: Lightspace and Calman. TPG: Murideo Fresco SIX-G
Meters: Klein K-10 A and Jeti 1501. THX II certified.
post #12695 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks. Is your screen 16:9?

If so and I am understanding this correctly, then it sounds like you are going to get rid of the dark gray bars, but I wonder if there is a risk of making things worse. One reason I'm wondering is if those become darker, but not as dark as your actual screen border then it might make the raised black floor of the projector in dark scenes more obvious.

The other thing I wonder about is whether the projector is shooting any light outside the panels that will now show up in the bar area. Many projectors do. You could try zooming your image down to smaller than your screen to check or others here may already know about that factor with these models.

If you don't have screen masking just trying to make sure you wouldn't be better off going that direction instead, or in addition to.

--Darin

Last edited by darinp2; 12-05-2015 at 02:49 PM.
post #12696 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I`m really curious how the greater light increase is perceived with the A lens in place? One number that usually comes up is 30% more light but does it really feel like the light output increases by almost a third?
I have long thought about also getting an A lens, mainly for the elimination of black bars but of course also for the extra light.
post #12697 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
I`m really curious how the greater light increase is perceived with the A lens in place? One number that usually comes up is 30% more light but does it really feel like the light output increases by almost a third?
I have long thought about also getting an A lens, mainly for the elimination of black bars but of course also for the extra light.
30% is the theoretical number, but in real life you gain 15-20% light with a high end lens like the Isco. And yes 15-20% is perceivable, but it is not a seen as a huge light increase.

Regards
Andreas
My Homecinema
post #12698 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
30% is the theoretical number, but in real life you gain 15-20% light with a high end lens like the Isco. And yes 15-20% is perceivable, but it is not a seen as a huge light increase.
Ok, good to know. I found that my previous projector (vw500) gave enough light in low lamp on my 116" DNP 08-85 screen and concidering that the vw1100 is a little brighter, i might not need the extra light but of course, it wouldn`t hurt.
Isco is the only lens i would concider using with my next projector. Too bad they are so expensive.
post #12699 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, good to know. I found that my previous projector (vw500) gave enough light in low lamp on my 116" DNP 08-85 screen and concidering that the vw1100 is a little brighter, i might not need the extra light but of course, it wouldn`t hurt.
Isco is the only lens i would concider using with my next projector. Too bad they are so expensive.
I zoomed for over two years with my VW1000/1100 on my 128" dnp Supernova 08-85 and it worked fine, but I missed the A lens setup so I bought a 1.25X for cheap and used it the last 6 months I had my 1100.

Regards
Andreas
My Homecinema
post #12700 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If you have a digital projector you could try switching between low lamp and high, which would probably be more difference than that. Human vision won't tend to see it as that big a difference.

For an interesting test you could have someone else pick the lamp option while you are out of the room, then cover your ears so you won't hear the projector and try to guess which lamp mode it is in

--Darin
post #12701 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
Thanks. Is your screen 16:9?

If so and I am understanding this correctly, then it sounds like you are going to get rid of the dark gray bars, but I wonder if there is a risk of making things worse. One reason I'm wondering is if those become darker, but not as dark as your actual screen border then it might make the raised black floor of the projector in dark scenes more obvious.

The other thing I wonder about is whether the projector is shooting any light outside the panels that will now show up in the bar area. Many projectors do. You could try zooming your image down to smaller than your screen to check or others here may already know about that factor with these models.

If you don't have screen masking just trying to make sure you wouldn't be better off going that direction instead, or in addition to.

--Darin

I have a 77inch 2:40 (actually2:41--because I made it slightly incorrectly myself).
But I will be jumping up to a 110 inch 2:40 in the new year.
Relatively small sizes compared to some of the big boys here but it is also a case of personal acclimatization to whatever size you get.
(15 years ago I would have thought 77inches was huge!)

Yes that is a good point about extra light on the periphery of the panels. This is present on my 1000es.It actually confused me when I set up initially as none of the PJs I owned before had this. But it is a more diffused/fainter type of light.
The masking option is nice but beyond me at this moment.

In terms of the raised black floor ,that does not concern me too much as deep inky blacks are not an aesthetic that I am particularly inclined to. That is not to say I do not appreciate what fine contrast can do to an image. The 1000es has pretty good blacks.....not as good as a JVC....but still pretty good(degradation not withstanding).
My main concern would be the slight loss of ANSI going through the A-Lens but will only know when I see it in person. But I am informed the ISCO 1.25 conserves ANSI quite well so will see.

I actually did a weird eye-test just watching some of Escape From New York(a particularly dark film) in the 1000es's Vertical stretch mode( without an A-Lens obviously).I then watched the same scenes in the 2:35 Zoomed mode just to see the difference.
I would say that despite the distorted geometry of the image(in vertical stretch mode) it seemed that I could depict the higher pixel density(due to the heavy grain structure of the film itself) as well as what appeared to be a slightly brighter luminescence. So really looking forward to the addition of the lens.

Last edited by TheSony4KRises; 12-05-2015 at 04:05 PM.
post #12702 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I was using an ISCO IIIL with the 1100ES and my HTPC for vertical scaling. Excellent results. I'm sure the 1.25x lens will be a similar experience.

So I assume you were using the 1.33x option on the Sony.
That is the one draw back with a 1.25.....that it wont be compatible with other PJs that don't have 4096 Px.
Would love to have had an A-Lens that was compatible with my PannyAE2000.
post #12703 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 04:15 PM

@Andreas21

Yes...I remember reading your impressions regarding the 1.25 with the 1000/1100.
That definitely influenced me.
I think W. Mayer also paired a 1.25 with his 1000.
So looking forward to joining a small club( in fact it is even smaller because both you and W.mayer are moving on)

Last edited by TheSony4KRises; 12-05-2015 at 04:20 PM.
post #12704 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So I assume you were using the 1.33x option on the Sony.
That is the one draw back with a 1.25.....that it wont be compatible with other PJs that don't have 4096 Px.
Would love to have had an A-Lens that was compatible with my PannyAE2000.
No. I scaled 1080p to 4K and also did the vertical stretch on my PC. The same could be done for the 1.25x lens you have leaving the projector completely out of the equation when it comes to scaling and offer better results.

post #12705 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I was about to purchase a new VPL-VW1100ES 20% off from my dealer. Then I read the SXRD panel issue. Then I decided to go for an used 1100 at the risk of believing that SONY will do something about it and may be they will release an upgrade path to fix the panels and bring the current model up to Ultra HD Bly-ray at the minimum. Then came JVC new models. As much I love SONY - they are not big on upgrades. Once the product is out and it is out for GOOD.

I usually do not change my projectors until they die or I realize that replacement of the tubes or bulbs cost more than the projector's present value, technology and standards.

Because of Andreas21 and Seegs108, I have more information on my choices for which I'm very thankful to them. Thank you guys.

In stead of spending $22,400 on 1100 and living with it for next 7 years with several unknowns, I rather prefer to spend 1/4 of the 1100's cost on JVS600 and use it for a year or two.

(Some of you may have good deals on projectors and you are ok because you have good deal and you can deal with some inefficiencies. But for me, when I go to dealers, the most discount I get is 20 to 25% - but on projector like 1100ES, 20% is not that of an enticing discount)

As far as 4K vs 2K, someone from the forum sent a link on John Galt's (of Panavision) article that talks about 4K. After reading that article, I think I made right decision to go with 600 - and not on 1100 especially given the current HDMI standards.

By the way Joe is a great guy - I corresponded with few times.

I'm hoping RS600 (when it arrives) will keep my HT going for the next couple of years and that would be great and best projector until all 4K, Ultra HD Blu-ray and HDCP all work in harmony not only in technology but also with the content availability.

Last edited by joaquin; 12-05-2015 at 05:28 PM.
post #12706 of 14102 Old 12-05-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
I had a 4K projector for 3 years and it was the best projector I have ever owned when it was new or the first 2-500 hours, after that it was not.
So, if the Sony never lost contrast, would you have sold it and bought a JVC X500? And if so, why?

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one."

My HT gear
post #12707 of 14102 Old 12-06-2015, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
So, if the Sony never lost contrast, would you have sold it and bought a JVC X500? And if so, why?
If the Sony never lost contrast I would not have sold it and bought a X500. And that answer is simple, when new the VW1000/1100 is by far the best 2D projector I have seen.
Seegs108 and Dirk44 like this.

Regards
Andreas
My Homecinema
post #12708 of 14102 Old 12-06-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Exclamation Where Are the Moderators?

Where are the moderators on this site? Over the last couple of weeks this thread has degraded to abysmal lows. This is a thread about the Sony VPL-VW1000/1100ES projectors and I come here to read about this specific projector, which I happily own, not about endless fanboish arguments about whether JVC makes better projectors than Sony.

I am extremely disappointed about the behaviour of certain individuals here - Andreas21, Seegs108, darinp2, joerod, etc. - who display unnecessarily argumentative attitudes. Some in particular, e.g. Andreas21, openly and proudly acknowledge their previous violations of the forum rules which led to their temporary banning from the forum but nevertheless continue their aggressive behaviour. I am not sure about the age of various individuals here as this teenagerish behaviour does clearly not match the level of maturity and seriousness of the typical people who could afford such expensive machines.

May I please suggest to those who have nothing to add constructively to the topic of this thread to perhaps exchange phone numbers and continue the argument in private? Also, for those who feel the urge of discussing the JVC projectors here, may I suggest to them to move over to the JVC threads?

I appreciate your kind co-operation for helping bring back this thread on track. Thank you.

Quote:
If the Sony never lost contrast I would not have sold it and bought a X500. And that answer is simple, when new the VW1000/1100 is by far the best 2D projector I have seen.
stevenjw, chrisreeves and joerod like this.
post #12709 of 14102 Old 12-06-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
Where are the moderators on this site? Over the last couple of weeks this thread has degraded to abysmal lows. This is a thread about the Sony VPL-VW1000/1100ES projectors and I come here to read about this specific projector, which I happily own, not about endless fanboish arguments about whether JVC makes better projectors than Sony.

I am extremely disappointed about the behaviour of certain individuals here - Andreas21, Seegs108, darinp2, joerod, etc. - who display unnecessarily argumentative attitudes. Some in particular, e.g. Andreas21, openly and proudly acknowledge their previous violations of the forum rules which led to their temporary banning from the forum but nevertheless continue their aggressive behaviour. I am not sure about the age of various individuals here as this teenagerish behaviour does clearly not match the level of maturity and seriousness of the typical people who could afford such expensive machines.

May I please suggest to those who have nothing to add constructively to the topic of this thread to perhaps exchange phone numbers and continue the argument in private? Also, for those who feel the urge of discussing the JVC projectors here, may I suggest to them to move over to the JVC threads?

I appreciate your kind co-operation for helping bring back this thread on track. Thank you.
I'll respectfully refer to post 12689. I see you've said "the last couple weeks". Are you upset that people are reporting issues about a Sony projector you own? Why should this be something that a moderator should step in on? Is it not an appropriate topic that should be discussed? Considering JVC is the only other major player in the LCoS market right now, it seems appropriate that comparisons be made to understand the status quo with this type of technology.

More recently the argument in this thread, which I admit got a bit childish in some of the posts, was still a valid one. It started at post 12583 where claims were made that "many" owners were experiencing issues with new JVC units and inferred that people should avoid them because of this. This, of course, turned out to not be true. It was one user's initial experience that was being touted as "many" or all experiences. And the discussion evolved from there.

Did I miss a rule that said you can't discus pros and cons of a projector in that particular projector's thread? Sure, this is a 1000ES thread but when someone is making wild accusations without giving proper (or logical) reasoning to back that claim up are we not allowed to counter this ignorance or are we simply to keep our mouths shut so a few owners can go about with their noses up in the air, patting each other on the back for owning this projector and allow the misinformation posted to be read by others as truth? That would be ridiculous, but alas, this is the attitude I sense from some owners posting in this thread whenever anyone mentions something negative about this projector or that maybe another projector can come close to, equal or best the image from the 1100ES.

No, I don't think bringing the discussion to another thread is always the solution because in a month or two the separate thread will get lost in the maelstrom of other topics started and those who are freshly coming into the topic in this thread will never get to see the conclusion to the topic being discussed. It should also be noted that, as of late, this thread hasn't seen much action anyways. I would understand if people were upset by something like this if this were a new thread with eager people looking for vital information. But that hasn't happened in this thread in quite some time.

Please enlighten me with your thoughts on what I've just said. I had this projector for 6 months before I sold it and it threw a beautiful image. But like anything, it's not perfect and sometimes a discussion is warranted to explain those things so that potential buyers can be made aware of these flaws...no matter how big or how little. After all, what's the point in discussing these products if we can't be made aware of what we're buying into?

Last edited by Seegs108; 12-06-2015 at 06:59 PM.
post #12710 of 14102 Old 12-06-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Why did you quote me in this post?

And I am not proud of being banned even if you think so...

Regards
Andreas
My Homecinema
post #12711 of 14102 Old 12-06-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:

Completely agree with you and moderated myself. I removed some of my non constructive posts that weren't pertinent to the discussion. Appreciate you pointing this out.

My Sony 5000ES Review PART 2 FINISHED:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1462841668379
post #12712 of 14102 Old 12-06-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 456
I also took the advice from many others in PMs to use the Ignore List.

Back to our 1000ES/1100ES thread in progress.

My Sony 5000ES Review PART 2 FINISHED:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1462841668379
post #12713 of 14102 Old 12-06-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I'm with Michael9009 on this one. The ad hominem attacks and the endless attempts by multiple parties to both defend their positions and justify their reasons for doing so in minute detail were beneath this forum and unpleasant to watch. I hope it doesn't devolve again.

A famous but useful question for some involved: "Would you rather be right - or effective?"

And some posters would be better served by studying Dale Carnegie in detail rather than more projector specs.

Word to the wise. . .
stevenjw, Citation4444 and Dirk44 like this.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
post #12714 of 14102 Old 12-06-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Thank you, chrisreeves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post
I'm with Michael9009 on this one. The ad hominem attacks and the endless attempts by multiple parties to both defend their positions and justify their reasons for doing so in minute detail were beneath this forum and unpleasant to watch. I hope it doesn't devolve again.

A famous but useful question for some involved: "Would you rather be right - or effective?"

And some posters would be better served by studying Dale Carnegie in detail rather than more projector specs.

Word to the wise. . .
post #12715 of 14102 Old 12-06-2015, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I agree that the discussion has devolved into personal attacks, but all four of the members you site have also contributed useful information. I think they will now self regulate their remarks without need of a moderator's intervention. The issue of possible degradation of the Sony 1000/1100 light engines is of prime importance to the discussion in this forum.

Bill Cruce
Widescreen Review
post #12716 of 14102 Old 12-06-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Right now, I don't think it matters having a native 4K machine seeing how there is next to no 4K material out there and won't be for the foreseeable future. This is why other aspects are far more important right now. With that limited 4K content eshift will hold me over until this time next year when JVC has a native UHD unit.
I know this is a very common refrain from the anti-4K crowd, but I submit that if you have a Roku 4K you have more content available to you at 4K that a standard user can consume. At least 5 different services and numerous subscription and PPV options. I'm not going to argue the quality of it vs. Blu-ray or anything like that, but the lack of content argument is moot at this point.

Matt

UMR on HDR vs 4K: The benefit of greater saturation and luminance capability is...not very evident in all images unlike more pixels which can be seen in every scene.
post #12717 of 14102 Old 12-06-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
I know this is a very common refrain from the anti-4K crowd, but I submit that if you have a Roku 4K you have more content available to you at 4K that a standard user can consume. At least 5 different services and numerous subscription and PPV options. I'm not going to argue the quality of it vs. Blu-ray or anything like that, but the lack of content argument is moot at this point.
That's the thing though, you can't make this argument and NOT look at the quality of it. Why argue that there's 4K content to watch if it's worse than scaled 1080p content? A lot of the content from the services the Roku accesses is actually piss poor. Some of the "4K" content is actually scaled from a 2K master (Looper for example). I can provide screenshots of the content if you don't believe me.

post #12718 of 14102 Old 12-06-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
It would thus be very interesting to see this material on a true 4K projector and on a JVC e-shift one to see how the images compare.
post #12719 of 14102 Old 12-06-2015, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
I think the best comparison test will be a UHD BD (that is sourced from a 4K DI - remember almost all new movies are finished at 2K- so 4K sources will be scarce for a while) with a native 4K projector/Sony compared to the e-shift4 of the JVC RS500/600. I would also like to see how the 665 compares to the 1100 as they are using difference lenses. But resolution is only one factor as HDR and P3 should be considered with UHD BD.

Last edited by DavidHir; 12-06-2015 at 08:21 PM.
post #12720 of 14102 Old 12-07-2015, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
That's the thing though, you can't make this argument and NOT look at the quality of it. Why argue that there's 4K content to watch if it's worse than scaled 1080p content? A lot of the content from the services the Roku accesses is actually piss poor. Some of the "4K" content is actually scaled from a 2K master (Looper for example). I can provide screenshots of the content if you don't believe me.
Because its a cherry pick argument at this point. Nobody is reviewing every piece of content for quality, so I'm submitting there is so much of it now that the specific argument of going on 4 years ago is moot. Even if its 4K, a lot of it still may have the same issues early HD content had with poor transfers, etc. And there was upscaled content being sold as HD on Blu-ray as well. But that's a different argument.

Matt

UMR on HDR vs 4K: The benefit of greater saturation and luminance capability is...not very evident in all images unlike more pixels which can be seen in every scene.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page