post #1261 of 10190 Old 02-19-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

Uhh...excuse me, but something big just came up!

Ok that's it. I'm going have to do a lot of Bluray 'reference' testing on specific scenes from the 'The Rum Diary' tonight with the 1000. I have to examine the accuracy of colour reproduction and level of shadow detail in some of those outdoor scenes...specifically the yacht on a mooring scene!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 10190 Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Would someone please comment on using such a bright projector on a small screen like Mark's
i.e. 110" diagonal 1.3 gain 16:9. At short throw ~11.5 feet the contrast ratio will be lower and lumens quite high. Seating distance 11-12 feet. What is lost taming output for a small screen if anything?

Dave. I am viewing at 12.5 feet and my throw is about 14 feet. I have ordered a 1.0 Snomatt screen (1.0 gain) but won't get it until the end of the month. When I watched on my 1.3 gain, I had the iris set at 23 and the lamp on low. Billl Miller watched with me. It was bright but not too bright by any means. I do not know what caused the magic. All I can tell you is that all my other projectors suck in comparison.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #1263 of 10190 Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Dave. I am viewing at 12.5 feet and my throw is about 14 feet. I have ordered a 1.0 Snomatt screen (1.0 gain) but won't get it until the end of the month. When I watched on my 1.3 gain, I had the iris set at 23 and the lamp on low. Billl Miller watched with me. It was bright but not too bright by any means. I do not know what caused the magic. All I can tell you is that all my other projectors suck in comparison.

Mark what size Snomatt are you getting? Your set up distance and size-wise sounds similar to mine with my 1.3 Studiotek. I am going to turn down the lamp on mine tonght. as I was finding esp the HTPC really bright with all lights off. That's even with the leveling issue I have with the existing mount plate causing projector the angle up too much and extra lens shift to compensate.

EDIT: I've now better researched what was going wrong with my chief RPA-U mount. Seems the local, completely Chief inexperienced HT installers, attached it back to front, load bearing-wise, causing my current tilt issue from back when I swapped mounts when I had the VW90. Thanks to examining Joe's photo of his I was able to work it just now. All I need now is to borrow some help and I'll quickly have it nice and straight, plus I can dial out the minor roll issue I've have with the mount since it was installed.

post #1264 of 10190 Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Like fine detail and edge enhancement? Still I have to give it to Sony for adding this terrific VP in their projector. It's the first time I truly don't need any external processing.

Fine detail enhancement typically increases noise more than doing anything useful and edge enhancement has to be used very sparingly or ringing becomes a problem.

Sony's "Reality Creation" has been around for years and I was not very impressed with the the results that where attainable with it. The upscaling used in the 1000 should help provide a cleaner result as it takes the edge of the artifacts but its still appears to be a relatively primitive system.

Apparent image sharpness depends on high MTF at medium spatial frequencies rather than high frequencies close to the pixel pitch, therefore systems that improve mid range MTF work best and have the least side effects in my experience. Scaling both up and down plays a very important part in a good sharping system but surprisingly we dont need a 4k projector to enjoy the benefits.
post #1265 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Mark, that is quite an impressive endorsement coming from you. With manual iris set at 23, are the blacks truly inky? Were Tom's contrast measurements taken with those settings?
post #1266 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I am sitting her reading and finding JoeRod to be using a posting style thast I have used in the past on occasion by explaining something by a sexual analogy. So I am transcended by JoeRod's post and though I really have no image for Ms. Fox, I can substitute some other hottie star or woman from my younger days. Now I understand what JoeRod is saying and I agree with it. Then I see the words RC not MF and my brain thanks to JoeRod is somewhere else, RC is clear because that's what triggered JoeRod's allusion but what is MF? Muff factor?

Then reality steps in and I reread his post, Motion Flow. Duh.

... I toke the MF as Megan Fox......

dj
post #1267 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

OK, I'm also jumping on the 1000ES bandwagon

A few questions for the experienced users.

First, my screen is a 118" (3mt) wide 2.35:1 AR Stewart FirehawkG3. is this suitable for the Sony? My HT is a cave so ambient light is no problem. Should I stick to this screen or get something else for better results?

Also, can you suggest me some initial settings on the Sony for my room and screen?

Thank You
post #1268 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murat View Post

OK, I'm also jumping on the 1000ES bandwagon

A few questions for the experienced users.

First, my screen is a 118" (3mt) wide 2.35:1 AR Stewart FirehawkG3. is this suitable for the Sony? My HT is a cave so ambient light is no problem. Should I stick to this screen or get something else for better results?

Also, can you suggest me some initial settings on the Sony for my room and screen?

Thank You

What projector are you coming from? And suitable how? Is there a certain brightness level you are seeking?

"Most accurate" out of the box settings seem to be reference mode, d65 color, rec 709, brightness between 50 and 52, contrast 90-100, gamma 2.4. Iris and "black level" setting set to taste depending on your brightness needs, most everything else "off" in the expert setting. Reality creation on or off depending on taste and particular movie / source.
post #1269 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Mark, have your Sony contacts ever mentioned how we will find out about firmware updates for the 1000? Since I haven't had other Sony projectors I don't know if there is just a webpage to check or something of that kind?
post #1270 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

What projector are you coming from? And suitable how? Is there a certain brightness level you are seeking?

"Most accurate" out of the box settings seem to be reference mode, d65 color, rec 709, brightness between 50 and 52, contrast 90-100, gamma 2.4. Iris and "black level" setting set to taste depending on your brightness needs, most everything else "off" in the expert setting. Reality creation on or off depending on taste and particular movie / source.

Well, I'm ashamed to tell I'm still using my ancient Fujitsu LPF-D711 Projector which actually performs quite well. I'm not looking for a certain brightness level and I can't change the screen widht.
post #1271 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

So the short answer is that the 1000 will do everything much better than your current PJ, but I think you already knew that.

The longer answer might be to make sure the Sony 95 or JVC rs55 doesnt do what you need. Are you interested in an acoustically transparent screen? Do you sit quite close to the screen? If not, either of those other two projectors may give you the quality you are looking for.

Now, this is overall far and away the best SXRD projector on the market, but I personally wouldnt buy it just for 4k. I needed the brightness, and the street price of this unit is about as cheap as you can get for the brightness it gives. 4k and upscaling will let you sit as close as you want. But if you are already a couple of screen widths away, then I would not move to 4k at this point. Now if you think 3d will be a big part of your viewing, then this will also give you adequate brightness for that, while the other projectors I mentioned probably will not at your screen size and gain.
post #1272 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:

Now, this is overall far and away the best SXRD projector on the market, but I personally wouldnt buy it just for 4k. I needed the brightness, and the street price of this unit is about as cheap as you can get for the brightness it gives.

Sim2 Nero is rated at 2000 lumens and has similar pricing. The rest of your post was right on the money .

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #1273 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Sim2 Nero is rated at 2000 lumens and has similar pricing. The rest of your post was right on the money .

Yes but post calibration came in at 650 lumens. Also a single chipper which may be any issue for some viewers.

MSRP: $24,900 with T1 or T2 lens, $26,750 with T3 lens
Technology: DLP, single chip
Native Resolution: 1080p (1920x1080)
Brightness: 2000 lumens claimed, post calibration (D65) 605 lumens at mid-zoom on the provided lens
Contrast: 30,000:1
Zoom Lens ratio: 3 lens options covering a very wide range
Lens shift: Vertical and horizontal
Lamp life: 2000 hours (variable brightness)
Weight: 24.3 lbs. (10.8 Kg)
Warranty: 2 Years Parts and Labor
post #1274 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:

The longer answer might be to make sure the Sony 95 or JVC rs55 doesnt do what you need. Are you interested in an acoustically transparent screen? Do you sit quite close to the screen? If not, either of those other two projectors may give you the quality you are looking for.

Have you seen an RS55? One of it's biggest selling points is the ability to sit very close to the screen and maintain excellent PQ. Granted the Sony 95 may be a better all around projector from more typical viewing distances.
post #1275 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep I am aware.. so that might be a good choice. For all I know he has already bought the Sony... was just throwing out some quick suggestions.
post #1276 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Yep I am aware.. so that might be a good choice. For all I know he has already bought the Sony... was just throwing out some quick suggestions.

Sounds like he may have. But there may be others wishing they could afford the Sony 1000 who might be very happy with the "poor man's 4K" RS55.
post #1277 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Yes but post calibration came in at 650 lumens.

I haven't seen that. Who measured and calibrated it?

Quote:

Also a single chipper which may be any issue for some viewers.

It is very good in that regard. It also then has the benefit of being super sharp because of it. No convergence error. And with mirrors, the frequency response of each color component is equal.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #1278 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So the short answer is that the 1000 will do everything much better than your current PJ, but I think you already knew that.

Now, this is overall far and away the best SXRD projector on the market, but I personally wouldnt buy it just for 4k. I needed the brightness, and the street price of this unit is about as cheap as you can get for the brightness it gives. 4k and upscaling will let you sit as close as you want. But if you are already a couple of screen widths away, then I would not move to 4k at this point. Now if you think 3d will be a big part of your viewing, then this will also give you adequate brightness for that, while the other projectors I mentioned probably will not at your screen size and gain.

I'm not interested in an acoustically transparent screen and currently I'm sitting at around 19ft. Is this too far away for a 2.35 AR screen? I can move the seats closer.
post #1279 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I measure just over 950 lumens with these settings (low lamp, DI Limited, Cst = 90, Reference preset, D65), and this produces > 30 ftL on my HP2.4 screen with a 17x9 pic, 136x72. Looks amazing.

Thanks!

Maybe you or one of the other folks here with good hands-on experience can help me figure out something about how the iris works.

On my screen (110" diagonal 16x9 0.95 gain Screen Research ClearPix2), 950 lumens would be about 25ftL, which is substantially brighter than the SMPTE reference of 14.

Could the iris be configured so that it retains its dynamic characteristics to vary between bright and dark scenes, but limited the top end so that I would still hit 14ftL or so?

The other option of course would be an ND filter, but if I can accomplish this via the iris settings, it would keep an extra piece of glass out of the optical path that I would have to move when I wanted 3D. OTOH, perhaps leaving the iris operating in its full range but using the ND filter would preserve the maximum amount of dynamic range in the picture.

I know some people like a very bright picture, and actually in my one experience of such a projection, I rather enjoyed it too, so it could prove to be a non-issue, but I just want to have a bit better understanding of how the projector operates.

Thanks!

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #1280 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Regarding RBE from single chip,

Quote:

It is very good in that regard. It also then has the benefit of being super sharp because of it. No convergence error. And with mirrors, the frequency response of each color component is equal.

FWIW, I saw RBE instantly on walking into a demo room featuring the Nero. I'm very sensitive to this effect, so I'm sure others won't be bothered by it. To give you an idea of my level of flicker sensitivity, I can see the refresh strobing of a 3-chip DLP!

Of course, I certainly don't see any RBE effect on the 1000ES.

I really want to see the M.150 (also roughly in this price range), which has the benefits of single chip, DLP, and LED. If it doesn't produce an RBE that bothers me, my decision will be very difficult indeed.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #1281 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

Thanks!

Maybe you or one of the other folks here with good hands-on experience can help me figure out something about how the iris works.

On my screen (110" diagonal 16x9 0.95 gain Screen Research ClearPix2), 950 lumens would be about 25ftL, which is substantially brighter than the SMPTE reference of 14.

Could the iris be configured so that it retains its dynamic characteristics to vary between bright and dark scenes, but limited the top end so that I would still hit 14ftL or so?

The other option of course would be an ND filter, but if I can accomplish this via the iris settings, it would keep an extra piece of glass out of the optical path that I would have to move when I wanted 3D. OTOH, perhaps leaving the iris operating in its full range but using the ND filter would preserve the maximum amount of dynamic range in the picture.

I know some people like a very bright picture, and actually in my one experience of such a projection, I rather enjoyed it too, so it could prove to be a non-issue, but I just want to have a bit better understanding of how the projector operates.

Thanks!

Your best bet might be just to set the iris on Manual and squeeze it down as much as you need to get the off screen brightness you want. With this relatively smallish screen, you should be able to close the iris way down and thus get excellent CR without the DI and avoid any aspects of it you might not like.
post #1282 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:

I haven't seen that. Who measured and calibrated it?

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sim2...alibration.php
post #1283 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I find it interesting all this talk of the 4k machines letting everyone sit so much closer.
As I've mentioned, with my JVC RS20 I had to have the image really, really big to even start getting hints of seeing pixels (not sure I ever did!). Now I have the RS55 with E-shift, effectively no pixel visibility, and I do not necessarily find myself wanting to sit closer. That's because pixel visibility is only one part of the equation: there's obviously still the limitations of the source, which vary wildly even in Blu-Ray, let alone broadcast HD.

One of the reasons I went with a variable screen size is due to the variability of source material. Some sources, particularly good Blu-Ray transfers, can hold up at huge sizes (although even then I can start sensing 1080p res limitations). But just as often softness, or edge enhancement, or any number of compression or other artifacts can simply become more visible on the larger image, so I back off image size until the image looks smoother and sharp again.

Given this issue, I find it interesting that a lot of people find the idea of sitting super close to 1080p sources always desirable, as if your projector's pixel visibility were the only problem.
post #1284 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Mark what size Snomatt are you getting? Your set up distance and size-wise sounds similar to mine with my 1.3 Studiotek. I am going to turn down the lamp on mine tonght. as I was finding esp the HTPC really bright with all lights off. That's even with the leveling issue I have with the existing mount plate causing projector the angle up too much and extra lens shift to compensate.

EDIT: I've now better researched what was going wrong with my chief RPA-U mount. Seems the local, completely Chief inexperienced HT installers, attached it back to front, load bearing-wise, causing my current tilt issue from back when I swapped mounts when I had the VW90. Thanks to examining Joe's photo of his I was able to work it just now. All I need now is to borrow some help and I'll quickly have it nice and straight, plus I can dial out the minor roll issue I've have with the mount since it was installed.

I ordered a replacement fabric for my 4 way making Luxus Delux. The full screen size is 54" x 96" or otherwise referred to as a 110" D 1.78 aspect ratio screen.
post #1285 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Hey Mark, have your Sony contacts ever mentioned how we will find out about firmware updates for the 1000? Since I haven't had other Sony projectors I don't know if there is just a webpage to check or something of that kind?

I don't have any memory of this in the past. I and other AV Science Sales contacts would be promptly informed of any software updates through the normal communications by Sony to Sony ES dealers. There was a hardware update to the Qualia 004 several years after it was introduced. The upgrade could be field installed by especially trained service dealers.
post #1286 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

I ordered a replacement fabric for my 4 way making Luxus Delux. The full scren size is 54" x 96" or otherwise referred to as a 110" D 1.78 aspect ratio screen.

Ok thanks. The old school 110" D, 1.78 aspect I understand. I've been thrown off by a lot of people talking overall size more recently. I need to eval my conditions a bit more, last night I dropped back to low lamp mode and things looked pretty ideal to me brightness-wise. I have to start checking out the zoom modes now that there's starting to be some consensus on what's working well for people on similar screen sizes.

post #1287 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The hardware update to the Q004 was actually an optional addition of a new video input board for 1080p60. I had mine updated in the field. It was a waste of money.
post #1288 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Now here is a question to keep things heated up. Suppose two projectors are of equal lumens out and one is of a resolution just under 2K and the other one is of a resolution of 4K, would they work equally well on the same screen? Or would one require a better screen than the other (not re gain, but re smoothness and ability to sharply resolve on off 4K vs 2K pixel patterns). And might this not be a reason to move from Studeotec 130 to a Snomatt 100 or even JKP Affinity .9 or 1.1, a screen of exceptional smoothness and of the ability to resolve a tight on off pixel pattern. And all other things equal, would one projector require a better lens to be able to resolve 4K given that the other projector which would only require a lens with the ability to resolve 2K.

Another issue is the lens quality of various projectors. A one chip DLP projector can indeed be sharper than any 3 chip projector regardless of DLP, reflective LCD, or transmissive LCD. But it certainly depends on the lens quality.

I own several one chip DLP machines and one with the same T1 lens used in certain one chip DLP machines mentioned here as possible alternatives to the Sony. The T2 lens available with these machines is a better lens than the T1 which certainly is no slouch. But great lenses the T1 and T2 are not. Their choice is dictated by price point and pretty much all competitors at these price points use those lenses.

My Samsung SP-A900B in my opinion based on my comparative observations is a better lens.

How good is the Sony lens? I really don't know but I will tell you it displaying misconverged 3 chip 4K SXRD (and ALL 3 chip projectors will not have perfect convergence, thus they will all have some degree of misconvergence), doesn't make me miss the sharpness of the Samsung let alone the lesser sharpness of a single DLP LED lit machine using a T1 lens.

A one chip DLP machine can clearly have better sharpness than any three chip machine but that depends on implementation including lens selection and except for a potentially sharper picture to me it can't hold a candle to a three chip DLP. And I can't define it except to say a three chip DLP has a more solid firmer image much in the same way a 4K three chipper is more solid in image than a 2K three chipper. What I am waiting to see is a 3 chip 4K DLP machine with a 4K quality lens and a street price of the Sony. In two years we will see it at a MSRP of $89,000. Just a prediction.

If money were no object, I think a great three chip 2K DLP machine is a viable to the Sony 4K machines. It clearly will do certain things better and others not as well. One needs to chose and be prepared to pay a lot more for the choice of a great 2K three chip DLP. Its hard to go wrong with either. And for that matter it hard for most to afford any any of them.
post #1289 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Well we did a "presentation" of Into The Blue tonight. Feels like everything we do on the 1000 is a presentation! It looked amazing. Especially the underwater scenes.

Jessica Alba never looked so hot!!! We Likey!!!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #1290 of 10190 Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
So are you guys leaving reality creation on all the time?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page