Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 433 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1227Likes

Old 12-31-2015, 04:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Always preferred Cinema 1 for the cleanest look. Gamma was at 2.4 unless I wanted to really make the image pop which then I would go Gamma 10.

For sports either TV or Bright TV. Definitely Gamma 10. The 1000/1100 has so many tweaks there is a vast sweet spot for the majority. It is still the best projector I have had in my theater.

My Sony 5000ES Review PART 2 FINISHED:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1462841668379
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
Did anyone buy the Sony 1100 on Ebay, from Japan?
I realize it would not have US warranty.
Personally, i would choose a trusted import dealer rather than Ebay if you want to buy the VW1100 from Japan. I have ordered this projector myself from Japan and i used a import dealer with a good rep that have been in business since 2001.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I didn't know that contrast was defaulted to 90 in Reference mode, is that correct?
Mine has always been on max.
Might be a difference between the 1000 and 1100 maybe?
Not sure if I mentioned my 1000es is still un-upgraded.
I just reset my settings to the default factory settings and Reference Mode in Contrast is pre-set to 90 on my machine.

Don't want you to lose your settings on my account by if you hit reset...see what Reference Mode defaults to on your 1100.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I was told by a forum member who just sold their 1100ES that the person he sold it to tried to buy one of those units first. It turned out to be a total scam and he had to go through a whole Paypal dispute process to get his money back. It makes more sense to buy one from a trusted member on the forum here or from a dealer.
Valid point. On occasion, I found that forum members like joerod offered excellent value for a barely used sony 1100es. I would of course prefer buying from a fellow forum member.. One reason I considered japan was - whether Sony has been "solving" the contrast problem, with the newer builds.. It would be a while, before we would know the answer to that.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Always preferred Cinema 1 for the cleanest look. Gamma was at 2.4 unless I wanted to really make the image pop which then I would go Gamma 10.

For sports either TV or Bright TV. Definitely Gamma 10. The 1000/1100 has so many tweaks there is a vast sweet spot for the majority. It is still the best projector I have had in my theater.
Yeah I seem to remember Mark Haflich favoring Reference Mode but he was a "Sports" man.
Definitely Cinema 1 for flicks with noticable grain densities or even a digitally acquired movie that has a colorful palette(2013's Great Gatsby).
For modern movies have that have that de-saturated look and that also have a relatively grain-free image then Reference Mode can be the way to go.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I didn't know that contrast was defaulted to 90 in Reference mode, is that correct?
Mine has always been on max.

Depending on what you want - after 88 it Begins to clip Down from level 250, at 90-92 it clips arround 240 and at max. arround 235

Mine is in ref mode
con 88 ( dont like clipping )
bri 52
co 52
iris auto full
lamp low
gamma 2.2 ( but measure arround 2.3 ) - in the gamma 2.4 its looks a Little more dynamic, but remove level 17 and allmost 18.
Motionflow on low ( hate movie "studder" / unreal movement )
Sharpness 1
RC on "2" ( 1 clip up from "0" and BTW "0" is still RC on )
NR off
Graduation low ( mimize banding a Little from 8 bit BR )
film mode auto 1
BT.709

And a Darbee on HD 35

Happy new year to all in here

dj

Last edited by d.j.; 12-31-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post
...And a Darbee on HD 35
I like using Darbee with my 1080p Sony. Interesting that you are using Darbee with the 1100 also. Darbie does 4k?

Happy New year!

Last edited by audvid; 12-31-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
Yeah I seem to remember Mark Haflich favoring Reference Mode but he was a "Sports" man.

Haven't seen Mark post lately.
Is he still around?
Old 12-31-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Are there short, long and medium throw lens options for the 1100es?
Old 12-31-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
I like using Darbee with my 1080p Sony. Interesting that you are using Darbee with the 1100 also. Darbie does 4k?

Happy New year!
Darbee does NOT do 4K.

The 1100ES only comes with the outstanding lens it's built around.

Happy New Year!

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one."

My HT gear
Old 12-31-2015, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Happy New year!

No, only on 1080P materiel, but thats fine for now. ( Steven beat me )

Thanks, and we are now in 2016 - what to buy
Old 12-31-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1859
Quote:
To use the CRT comparison is plain wrong.
A CRT is defined as 1080p is because it has a grid/array of 1080X1920.
The fact that each Px is excited incrementally in horizontal"scans" that are so quick that your eyes ultimately decipher them as complete frames(in this case a HD frame of 1080 X 1920) is ultimately based on it's ability to retain the preceding(and current) pixel(s) it has created(until it completes the entire image).

What would happen if, after the 2nd pixel is defined,the first pixel disappeared?

And what would happen if this occurred for every subsequent scan? You would end up with one degraded looking image.

So a CRT effectively holds on to all the image information as it builds and eventually completes that individual frame....JVC's E-shift on the other hand loses what in effect would be the preceding sub frame it has created.

It has to do this in order to display one of those 1080p subframes at any specific moment....because it has 1080p Panels!

I am not belittling the quality of the JVC.....just defining the procedure in terms of how it operates.....and it's definitive limitations when compared explicitly to the 1100/1000es.
Nope, as DLP doesn't hold on to anything as it is using its chip for different colors at different times. But you would still define its resolution based on its imaging chip. eShift does not produce a 4K image, but it does produce an image that is higher in resolution than 1080p and also enough resolution (in current form) to match true "4K" projectors with the majority of the content on the market today. I know as I've done several comparisons now in very controlled conditions with many other people in the room seeing what I'm doing and voicing the same conclusions.

Given what I've seen from both Sony's native 4K projectors, including the latest 665 and JVC's latest projectors with true 4K content, including 4K movies with P3 colors, I would chose JVC for getting the most that UHD has to offer at the moment without hesitation. And this goes beyond contrast too. I am talking about resolution, HDMI support, P3 coverage and HDR performance. But I'll take the whooping in contrast performance too.

My Home Theater
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Old 12-31-2015, 05:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Given what I've seen from both Sony's native 4K projectors, including the latest 665 and JVC's latest projectors with true 4K content, including 4K movies with P3 colors, I would chose JVC ..
I am assuming you have not compared the JVC to the Sony 1100es? I assume you have seen the preceding comments from those who owned tried to replace the sony 1100es with the jvc 600 but have decided to go back to the Sony 1100es, despite its contrast issues.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Given what I've seen from both Sony's native 4K projectors, including the latest 665 and JVC's latest projectors with true 4K content, including 4K movies with P3 colors, I would chose JVC ..
I am assuming you have not compared the JVC to the Sony 1100es? I assume you have seen the preceding comments from those who owned tried to replace the sony 1100es with the jvc 600 but have decided to go back to the Sony 1100es, despite its contrast issues.
I have tested the 1100ES directly against last years JVC. The 1100 did better with the 4K content I evaluated at the time. I haven't been able to compare it to this years JVC though. But at that time 4K content was extremely limited so I would have taken the JVC given the performance with 1080p content and my viewing habits. This year it is a no brainier for me personally. Not a chance would I take the 1100 over the 750 I have in my room now. But I would love the chance to evaluate them at the same time with the 4K content available now. One caveat though, I don't watch sports on my projectors.

Ultimately I could care less which projectors others pick. Everyone has different needs and desires and all of these projectors throw spectacular images when setup properly. I don't have a single issue at all with someone preferring the 1100ES or any other Sony projector over the JVCs. Different strokes for different folks!
RickAVManiac likes this.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Nope, as DLP doesn't hold on to anything as it is using its chip for different colors at different times. But you would still define its resolution based on its imaging chip. eShift does not produce a 4K image, but it does produce an image that is higher in resolution than 1080p and also enough resolution (in current form) to match true "4K" projectors with the majority of the content on the market today. I know as I've done several comparisons now in very controlled conditions with many other people in the room seeing what I'm doing and voicing the same conclusions.

Given what I've seen from both Sony's native 4K projectors, including the latest 665 and JVC's latest projectors with true 4K content, including 4K movies with P3 colors, I would chose JVC for getting the most that UHD has to offer at the moment without hesitation. And this goes beyond contrast too. I am talking about resolution, HDMI support, P3 coverage and HDR performance. But I'll take the whooping in contrast performance too.
And we will take the overall superiority of the 1100(or 1000 in my case) over any iteration of the JVC line up(2011-2015).
audvid likes this.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:

I have spoken to several installers here in the UK who say that the 1000/1100 is better if not superior in every department except black levels to any JVC(and these guys have tested and demoed them side by side)
There are also several members here who have now done the same and have come to the same conclusion.
I know there are several ex-1100owners(Millerwill and Zombie amongst them) who maybe prefer their new JVCs.....fair enough.

Regarding Black Levels.

Yesterday I was eyeing up the 65inch LG and Panasonic OLEDs in our local PC World(again!)
Wonderful blacks...vastly superior to what my 1000es can do ...and that is not even seeing them side by side.
Bear in mind that these OLEDs would trump any JVC projectors in both resolution and black levels.

BUT:

These OLEDs had several other issues which were noticable.

There was obvious color banding(especially when fading to black),harsh noise dithering and motion flicker.
This was with HD(or even UHD) demo material(The Louvre in Paris by night,the Taj Mahal by day ect ect)....now the above anomalies could have been present in the source material or it could be a problem with the displays themselves.

What I am trying to say is that yes, black levels are significant but if you have limitations in other areas(as these OLEDs do with regards to the above) and as the JVCs have(with regards to resolution) then you got problems.

I will take slightly less effective black levels.
The 1000/1100 trumps the JVC in practically every other department.
That is with 1080p content.
Forget 4K....it won't be a contest.
audvid likes this.

Last edited by TheSony4KRises; 01-01-2016 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think the UHD Br will ends the jvc vs. Sony thing until jvc comes out with nativ 4 k Panels.

I use the vw 1100 at 1080p also with Darbee green, but only from 20-25 depends on movies incl. cinema 1.
But I give refencence a try for news movies from now, thanks for input

Happy new year to all
Old 01-01-2016, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3546 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
Quote:
I have spoken to several installers here in the UK who say that the 1000/1100 is better if not superior in every department except black levels to any JVC(and these guys have tested and demoed them side by side)
There are also several members here who have now done the same and have come to the same conclusion.
I know there are several ex-1100owners(Millerwill and Zombie amongst them) who maybe prefer their new JVCs.....fair enough.

Regarding Black Levels.

Yesterday I was eyeing up the 65inch LG and Panasonic OLEDs in our local PC World(again!)
Wonderful blacks...vastly superior to what my 1000es can do ...and that is not even seeing them side by side.
Bear in mind that these OLEDs would trump any JVC projectors in both resolution and black levels.

BUT:

These OLEDs had several other issues which were noticable.

There was obvious color banding(especially when fading to black),harsh noise dithering and motion flicker.
This was with HD(or even UHD) demo material(The Louvre in Paris by night,the Taj Mahal by day ect ect)....now the above anomalies could have been present in the source material or it could be a problem with the displays themselves.

What I am trying to say is that yes, black levels are significant but if you have limitations in other areas(as these OLEDs do with regards to the above) and as the JVCs have(with regards to resolution) then you got problems.

I will take slightly less effective black levels.
It's kind of an odd predicament. I say this because not all constituents of image quality weigh the same. Contrast and brightness weigh much heavier than the others in terms of what most people prefer in their image. Yes, it's true the Sony does have a small advantage in image sharpness and an even smaller advantage in motion performance, but I don't think these small advantages, which could be argued to be trivial in the context of ignorance (ie not obviously known without a direct A/B comparison) can make up for the massive failing at on/off native contrast the Sony possesses. That is, the JVC is close enough to the Sony in the areas where it performs better that the difference in contrast and extra brightness outweigh these small advantages. This is why you keep seeing these "converts" say they prefer the image from the JVC more. You keep arguing from information that you've heard from other people, who are they? Can you invite them to post on the forum and explain things? I ask because the people who post on this forum and have compared these models keep coming up with an opinion no where near as polarized as the one you keep talking about. It's almost always "close" or "slightly better", not as large as your posts insinuate. That's quite an accomplishment from a projector costing over 3 times less in cost.

While I had the X500 and 1100ES here I went back and forth on a daily basis as to which I preferred more overall. You can track this on the forum with my posts over the last year. One day I'd watch something where I'd go "wow the Sony looks so good and better than the JVC" and the next day I'd watch something else and go "wow the JVC looks so good and better than the Sony". But this year with the extra brightness and contrast the JVCs offer I think it will push my opinion over the edge, especially considering they've also improved motion and 3D performance. In all honesty I don't find it odd that JVC has finally been able to achieve this. Afterall this Sony model is now reaching into 4 years of service. This light engine needs some much needed modification if it wants to keep the advantage in image quality. Boost the on/off contrast and 3D performance and maybe it can once again reign supreme in a way that most saw a few years back. That supreme advantage just isn't there anymore, and again, this makes sense given the amount of time JVC and others have had to close the gap.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk44 View Post
I think the UHD Br will ends the jvc vs. Sony thing until jvc comes out with nativ 4 k Panels.

I use the vw 1100 at 1080p also with Darbee green, but only from 20-25 depends on movies incl. cinema 1.
But I give refencence a try for news movies from now, thanks for input

Happy new year to all
This really depends on how much added fine detail UHD BD actually brings. It's been the contention of many informed people that things like HDR, WCG and 10 bit video encoding will actually be more beneficial to the overall image than the increase in digital resolution. That's not to say native 4K panels won't matter, they will. But we simply don't know the extent to which they'll matter and how close an eshifted image can get us and if the JVC's other attributes like HDR and P3 support will help overall image quality even more. What's also going to be interesting is the amount of "upscale" UHD BDs that will be released. The majority of movies released in the past 5 years have had 2K DI's, not 4K. So there really aren't going to be that many "native" 4K DI's that we'll see released and by that time JVC will most definitely have a native 4K projector out anyways and this debate will be a thing of the past. Hopefully that's less than 12 months away.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just wanted to add to this thread -- I purchased my 1100es from an Ebay seller with a good reputation and had a great buying experience. It was scary as all heck, of course, but it all ended well and it saved me about 14k USD off buying it local.

Ordinarily I would support local sellers (and have done so on literally every other occasion) but the price difference between the US and Japan is *absurd*. There is no reason to buy local in the US for Sony projectors, as far as I can tell.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just wanted to add to this thread -- I purchased my 1100es from an Ebay seller with a good reputation and had a great buying experience. It was scary as all heck, of course, but it all ended well and it saved me about 14k USD off buying it local.

Ordinarily I would support local sellers (and have done so on literally every other occasion) but the price difference between the US and Japan is *absurd*. There is no reason to buy local in the US for Sony projectors, as far as I can tell.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
Quote:
Except that not one single carefully controlled test that has been
reported has supported your claim "it won't be a contest."
Just the opposite.

No one begrudges you your love for your Sony, it's a great
projector. But it does lead you to make exaggerated claims
like the above. Anyone looking at posts like yours, buying the
Sony on the grounds it would be an abvious and greatly improved
4K image over a new JVC could be mislead by such unsupported
claims.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
It's kind of an odd predicament. I say this because not all constituents of image quality weigh the same. Contrast and brightness weigh much heavier than the others in terms of what most people prefer in their image. Yes, it's true the Sony does have a small advantage in image sharpness and an even smaller advantage in motion performance, but I don't think these small advantages, which could be argued to be trivial in the context of ignorance (ie not obviously known without a direct A/B comparison) can make up for the massive failing at on/off native contrast the Sony possesses. That is, the JVC is close enough to the Sony in the areas where it performs better that the difference in contrast and extra brightness outweigh these small advantages. This is why you keep seeing these "converts" say they prefer the image from the JVC more. You keep arguing from information that you've heard from other people, who are they? Can you invite them to post on the forum and explain things? I ask because the people who post on this forum and have compared these models keep coming up with an opinion no where near as polarized as the one you keep talking about. It's almost always "close" or "slightly better", not as large as your posts insinuate. That's quite an accomplishment from a projector costing over 3 times less in cost.

While I had the X500 and 1100ES here I went back and forth on a daily basis as to which I preferred more overall. You can track this on the forum with my posts over the last year. One day I'd watch something where I'd go "wow the Sony looks so good and better than the JVC" and the next day I'd watch something else and go "wow the JVC looks so good and better than the Sony". But this year with the extra brightness and contrast the JVCs offer I think it will push my opinion over the edge, especially considering they've also improved motion and 3D performance. In all honesty I don't find it odd that JVC has finally been able to achieve this. Afterall this Sony model is now reaching into 4 years of service. This light engine needs some much needed modification if it wants to keep the advantage in image quality. Boost the on/off contrast and 3D performance and maybe it can once again reign supreme in a way that most saw a few years back. That supreme advantage just isn't there anymore, and again, this makes sense given the amount of time JVC and others have had to close the gap.

I can find those controversial posts where you claimed your X500 was better(or a better performer) than the 1100 after having been round Mark Haflich's house after testing a few Potter flicks(among other things).Ironically enough...it was Andreas(then a 1100 owner) who lambasted you for doing so.
Your tune changed once you became a 1100 owner.

And that is the point.
You defend the projector you own.
You don't defend the projector.
So does Andreas.

I also remember posts in early 2012...where early 1000es owners and reviewers(Art Fereiman among them) were trying to convince Zombie that it really was not a contest between then new Sony4K and JVC eshift.Of course he kept defending the JVC that he owned.....but rather tellingly changed his mind once he owned the 1000/1100 himself a year and half later.

Art Sonneborn initially said that the 1000es(that he was given to test) was superior to his Sim2.
He then changed his mind and claimed the opposite. See what I mean.

In early 2012 ,I was not a member of this forum but would read it avidly.I did not yet own the 1000es(would make the purchase in May 2012).

Had I gone with the partisan behaviour espoused around here...I would have made the mistake of going for the Eshift1 JVC ...or I would be claiming my Panny(because I own it) is better than the Sony!

The fact that I read the "professional" reviews as well as consulting my dealer..... which were all unanimous that the Sony was quite frankly in a different league...made me make the right purchase....both qualitatively and economically.

That is how someone should evaluate a purchase.

The grudging concessions from JVC owners(that the 1000es should be better because of the price) were laughable....and still are.

I see the same attitude is being applied to the new Sony4k 5000.
Poor old Joerod is being criticized for merely suggesting that he is going to try and buy one.

You say that some stuff looked better on your X500 than the 1100.
Guess what....some stuff looks better on my Panny than the 1000(funnily enough...the first 2 Potter flicks...not a surprise given their production chain)

Does not mean the Panny is better.
Same goes for the JVC.
No doubt the gap is closing.....but there is still a gap.
Maybe JVC will never produce a 4K native projector.....because they can't(given all the economic and physical logistics involved) Maybe they will. Until they do they are playing catch up.

I am not here to convince anyone one way or another. The dealers/installers that I consulted are not members of this forum nor would I advise them to join.Suffice to say their opinions/observations were important to me personally. That is what counts.
Anyone looking to make a purchase on one of these fine projectors should be consulting dealers or reviews....not you or me.
I am here to express my personal opinion as you are.
Others can ignore these opinions or accept them but nothing more.

Last edited by TheSony4KRises; 01-01-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

They are supported, some Sony installers told him. And if you can't trust the people selling and installing them, who can you trust!!!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Just the opposite.

claims.
So Kris Deering's claim that the "whooping" contrast of the JVC
is not exaggerated!

Listen....we are never going to agree so we will have to agree to disagree.
I am already on record as saying that the JVCs are great machines.
I simply think that the 1000/1100 is greater.
You think the opposite.
Let anyone seeking to make a purchase evaluate the differences for themselves.....not be influenced by you or me.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can find those controversial posts where you claimed your X500 was better(or a better performer) than the 1100 after having been round Mark Haflich's house after testing a few Potter flicks(among other things).Ironically enough...it was Andreas(then a 1100 owner) who lambasted you for doing so.
Your tune changed once you became a 1100 owner.
Mark's unit was older. One of the original 1000ES units to go on sale in the US. I have a theory the reason why I liked the X500 more (and not just with Harry Potter....) is because his unit had lost quite a bit of contrast and lumen output. Even in low lamp mode, the X500 seemed a lot brighter and the contrast within the image was substantially better.

Quote:
You defend the projector you own.
You don't defend the projector.
So does Andreas.
And what about the 6 months I had both units here? I defend the strengths of projectors and have said many times the 1100ES throws a gorgeous picture. So does the JVC in a different way. Different content favors one or the other. But I feel that the JVC can handle a wider range of content with a more overall convincing image. The contrast pitfall (and now brightness) on the 1100ES puts it at a pretty big disadvantage with film content, which is generally pretty dark. As I said before, not all image quality metrics weigh the same and contrast and brightness outweigh the others quite a bit and when you factor in that the JVC really is only a hair behind in those other areas it makes it quite the compelling product, especially at it's price.

Quote:
I also remember posts in early 2012...where early 1000es owners and reviewers(Art Fereiman among them) were trying to convince Zombie that it really was not a contest between then new Sony4K and JVC eshift.Of course he kept defending the JVC that he owned.....but rather tellingly changed his mind once he owned the 1000/1100 himself a year and half later.
Zombie sold his 1100ES last week. What projector does he still own? A JVC....

Quote:
Had I gone with the partisan behaviour espoused around here...I would have made the mistake of going for the Eshift1 JVC ...or I would be claiming my Panny(because I own it) is better than the Sony!

The fact that I read the "professional" reviews as well as consulting my dealer..... which were all unanimous that the Sony was quite frankly in a different league...made me make the right purchase....both qualitatively and economically.

That is how someone should evaluate a purchase.
So instead of seeing the unit for themselves and making a personal judgement, you should only go off of other peoples' opinions and only the ones who haven't changed their mind? You're saying that people who don't change their minds are somehow more correct?

Quote:
The grudging concessions from JVC owners(that the 1000es should be better because of the price) were laughable....and still are.

I see the same attitude is being applied to the new Sony4k 5000.
Poor old Joerod is being criticized for merely suggesting that he is going to try and buy one.

You say that some stuff looked better on your X500 than the 1100.
Guess what....some stuff looks better on my Panny than the 1000.

Does not mean the Panny is better.
Same goes for the JVC.
No doubt the gap is closing.....but there is still a gap.
And yet you're fine with making a blanket statement that the 1100ES is simply "better". How do you not see the hypocrisy?

Quote:
Maybe JVC will never produce a 4K native projector.....because they can't(given all the economic and physical logistics involved) Maybe they will. Until they do they are playing catch up.
JVC has already stated they CAN make a 4K projector. They've had native 4K panels for a LONG time now. They just don't feel the price it would cost consumers is beneficial when eshift can get so close and add in that there's currently very little 4K content anyways. They said when they can do it at a reduced cost, one that is within the grasp of most consumers, they'll make the jump.

Quote:
I am not here to convince anyone one way or another. The dealers/installers that I consulted are not members of this forum nor would I advise them to join.Suffice to say their opinions/observations were important to me personally. That is what counts.
Anyone looking to make a purchase on one of these fine projectors should be consulting dealers or reviews....not you or me.
I am here to express my personal opinion as you are.
Others can ignore these opinions or accept them but nothing more.
Can you please tell me why a dealer knows more about these units (and apparently all other projectors) than people on this forum who, by far and large, have a collective experience and wealth of knowledge far greater than any single dealer.

Last edited by Seegs108; 01-01-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked: 1950
Quote:
What is telling about that. I wanted to see it first hand. owning it doesn't mean I was loving it. Less than 200 hours of viewing due to a number of visual anomalies that is hard to believe that 3 years has gone by and no one wants to discuss. I'll deep dive into this in a few weeks in the shootout thread. What I will show cannot be unseen and it's one of the primary reasons you complained so much about why older movies don't look good on this projector.

it's 2016 and JVC hasn't stood still. But the VW1100 is basically the same projector as 3+ years ago. With overly aggressive reality creation and limited built in gamma controls (which JVC has kept improving each year). Native contrast that are in 2 different leagues and not just on paper - real world viewing in an A/B stack with a split source.

I own 5 projectors. well 4, now. Hopefully the next owner will like it a lot better than I did. absolutely zero regrets selling it and will not purchase another Sony projector until this contrast situation is 100% confirmed resolved.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Just the opposite.

claims.
So Kris Deering's claim that the "whooping" contrast of the JVC
is not exaggerated!

Listen....we are never going to agree so we will have to agree to disagree.
I am already on record as saying that the JVCs are great machines.
I simply think that the 1000/1100 is greater.
You think the opposite.
Let anyone seeking to make a purchase evaluate the differences for themselves.....not be influenced by you or me.
Um no, it is verified by scientific instruments in carefully controlled testing.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
They are supported, some Sony installers told him. And if you can't trust the people selling and installing them, who can you trust!!!

You can trust yourself(and hopefully your dealer)

There is a fine degree of subjectivity to all of this.
My opinion is that the Sony is better.
Your opinion is the opposite....and so on and so.
Let any individual feel free to express his/her opinion and come to their own informed decision/opinion.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Um no, it is verified by scientific instruments in carefully controlled testing.

Sure it is.
When it is verified....lemme know
Until then ,kindly leave this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector