Forum Jump: 
 1321Likes

Old 01-11-2016, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 277
So Zombie's comparison images did show different results under Cinema 1 vs Reference (both using identical user settings) which confirms the 1100 is processing the source differently for each preset, independent of the user settings.

Personally, I think the 1100 is simply revealing issues with the source content. Otherwise we would see posterizing on all content.
thrang likes this.

Last edited by adidino; 01-11-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2016, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Seegs go buy your 51st projector and move on...you sound ridiculous...
He bought his 1100 on Amazon for 10K. Then had to send it in to have ......... parts replaced. Is it not possible he had a "lemon" to begin with? And I agree with you Thrang. He needs to either get another 1100 or just move on. Besides, I thought he created a new thread?
thrang and telem like this.

My Martin Logan Illusion & Impressions Review:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1494808387395

Last edited by joerod; 01-11-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I have used Cinema 1 since day one with the 1100. Oh and I have never seen anything remotely close to the pics posted. If I did I would consider where the projector was purchased (maybe B Stock) or if someone dropped it (1100 is heavy) at some point.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4616 Post(s)
Liked: 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
He bought his 1100 on Amazon for 10K. Then had to send it in to have ......... parts replaced. Is it not possible he had a "lemon" to begin with? And I agree win you Thrang. He needs to either get another 1100 or just move on. Besides, I thought he created a new thread?
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Amazon LLC (not a reseller) is an authorized Sony dealer from which I bought my unit. I got it for so cheap because they were liquidating a then 2.5 year old non current model. It came with a full warranty. I only had it sent in and had parts replaced because of this issue I was seeing. If I'm not mistaken many people here bought bstock 1000ES units for around this price from AVScience. Maybe they got lemons too, especially considering they were bstock units? I mean, what was wrong with them to constitute bstock? Amirite? Give me a f***ing break. You people are really scraping the bottom of the barrel here for excuses. And how would any of this affect the photos from Zombie's unit? Or how about the photos of thrang and g-rex's unit? All of which (despite the terrible iphone/iPad quality) clearly show the same thing my unit showed....

And even if my unit was a lemon when I originally bought it, Sony replaced literally every part inside the projector (motherboard aka video processing, SXRD panels, panel drivers, and optical block) that would create such a phenomenon on screen. These parts were from new stock as I had to wait a month for Sony to manufacture and send new parts to the service center. So if there were any revisions made to any of these parts my unit would have received them. And the issue still persisted after I got the unit back and was told this was "normal" behavior. But you're right because at first I did think there was something wrong with my unit until I realized it's there on them all...

Last edited by Seegs108; 01-11-2016 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Take Amazon out of the equation then. Is it still not possible it was just a lemon? I bought an expensive top of the line refrigerator and within two years it's had three repairs. First was just a few months in. And buying B stock doesn't always mean you're getting a lemon though your chances definitely are heightened.

Maybe we don't know what we're talking about after all you are going on your 51st projector....

Old 01-11-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Take Amazon out of the equation then. Is it still not possible it was just a lemon? I bought an expensive top of the line refrigerator and within two years it's had three repairs. First was just a few months in. And buying B stock doesn't always mean you're getting a lemon though your chances definitely are heightened.

Maybe we don't know what we're talking about after all you are going on your 51st projector....

What does the amount of projectors I've owned have to do with this issue? And fyi all the recent images posted are not my unit. The only picture of mine showing posterization is the one of Sam from lord of the rings. The rest are from other units. But I suppose you'll say those are lemons too?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3210 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
My VW1100 is a mint condition A stock projector with 200 hours.

The artifacts are not in the source, it's part of the reality creation processing for 1080P Content. We talked about this nearly 2 years ago when discussing Sony processing vs. Lumagen vs. HTPC. I also compared it (split source) to the .95 DC4 Planar which has one of the closest representations to the original source that I've seen of the many projectors I have here.

Same exact source, it looks better (less processed) when using the HTPC to send a native UHD signal and let the PC do the scaling. The point is, the BD source can look better (closer to the source) when using alternate methods vs. the built in Sony scaling.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/157661

The VW600 built in processing / scaling is actually better than the VW1100 when compared in a direct A/B, it's less aggressive. it's a shame we couldn't have an objective conversation in this thread.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is any of this actually visible from even 6ft away? Personally, I attempted to take a snapshot but with my AT screen, all you see at that distance is the weave.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The artifacts are not in the source, it's part of the reality creation processing for 1080P Content. We talked about this nearly 2 years ago when discussing Sony processing vs. Lumagen vs. HTPC. I also compared it (split source) to the .95 DC4 Planar which has one of the closest representations to the original source that I've seen of the many projectors I have here.

Same exact source, it looks better (less processed) when using the HTPC to send a native UHD signal and let the PC do the scaling. The point is, the BD source can look better (closer to the source) when using alternate methods vs. the built in Sony scaling.

The VW600 built in processing / scaling is actually better than the VW1100 when compared in a direct A/B, it's less aggressive. it's a shame we couldn't have an objective conversation in this thread.
Zombie - did you find the Lumagen did a better job with the processing vs Sony?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
Is any of this actually visible from even 6ft away? Personally, I attempted to take a snapshot but with my AT screen, all you see at that distance is the weave.
Depends on your screen size. From my normal seating distance of about 12 feet back on a ~8 foot wide image, I could make the posterization out, especially on faces and when there was banding it was easier to see as it took up larger portions of the screen. Big swaths of banding.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Depends on your screen size. From my normal seating distance of about 12 feet back on a ~8 foot wide image, I could make the posterization out, especially on faces and when there was banding it was easier to see as it took up larger portions of the screen. Big swaths of banding.
In Cinema 1 Preset, not really visible too me.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

It does look quite a bit better with Cinema 1. Though if you allow your HTPC to do the scaling (send the unit a 4K signal) and disable the RC processing it's still there so it's not specific to RC or scaling. Sony told Andreas it has to do with the new digital panel drivers for the 4K SXRD panels. It's hardware related apparently so it cannot be completely removed.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
In Cinema 1 Preset, not really visible too me.
For you, yes, but for others, not so much. If you look at Zombie's screenshot comparison it's still easily visible on the cinema 1 preset. It really doesn't matter who can see it. What matters is that it's there and it shouldn't be. Everyone is going to consume their movies, games and TV shows at different screen sizes and seating distances so it will "be there" less or more depending on each individual setup.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:42 AM

HDMI 1 was Sony scaling of the source BD, HDMI 2 was the HTPC @ UHD resolution with the PC doing the work. I thought the later looked less processed from seating distance (15 feet from my 142" screen).

Cinema film 1 definitely looks better than the reference mode but if I kept it, would likely use the HTPC full time for BD content. I keep the .95 Planar here as a reference since it's ability to reproduce the source is remarkably close to the original content.

When I had the VW1100/VW600 in a stack for about 30 hours of viewing, I left feeling that they made improvements in the scaling on this model that didn't make it in the VW1100 motherboard upgrade.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I will say we were all blown away with the football games yesterday. Especially the Packer and Redskin game. Close ups so clear and in your face like. And everyone has been over countless times with the 1100. The 665 though less sharp does produce a cleaner image.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
Big swaths.

So you had a bad unit. I don't think Sony would have sold many units, or gotten the stellar reviews it did, if there was such a perverse, pervasive, and obvious error. Why can't you get it that sharp-eyed, reasonable people don't see any projector induced issues to any sufficient level of visibility or enjoyment degradation in regards to this issue?

What's hilarious is when there's is conversation on the JVC thread about all the convergence issues and color fringing when looking at the screen from a few feet away, the remarks are generally don't bother with convergence unless you notice it from your seated position. Here, we will soon start to see the use of electron microscopes to identify gross deficiencies...

And back to my original photos. Yes seegs, you identified the Sony image. Most would look at your random circles and say, 'what?'

Beyond that my earlier speculation was that the relative softness of the JVC could hide source artifacts.

So look at TC's eyebrow hairs, and the fine hairline wrinkles to the right of his eye in the Sony image. Notice the greater details in the Sony image vs the JVC? ( you will now claim its some artificial enhancement I suppose so why do I bother to ask...) now look at those areas on the JVC shot. Much less detail. Other areas of the image will also show this.

So is it possible that some source compression artifacts, which are well known to occur with variable compression bit rates used to fit a movie on a single blu Ray disc, are revealed on the Sony while softened/obscured on the JVC?

I know your answer, but I'll leave it for more fair minded people to consider.

There is not one projector that I've seen that doesn't have limitations and issues, the Sony included. But when looking at live playback from both projectors, it is clear that the Sony produced a much cleaner, calmer, and sharper image. It's not as bright, and the JVC has better native contrast.

JVC image processing is average, as it has been for years, as most of the features must be disabled (including DI to stop the micro fluctuations of brightness). Motion is average, and that's something that is orders of magnitude more obvious from a seated distance than any minutiae being paddled around here. There's more 24p judder on the JVC as well. Which poison do you want to drink?

Finally, projectors are a totality of qualities, as viewed from a normal seated distance. This is like doing an anal probe to investigate a small itch on your pinky.

Having said all this, I still have both projectors here, as I want to be completely fair and explore all positives and negatives under a variety of scenarios.
stevenjw, joerod, adidino and 4 others like this.

Last edited by thrang; 01-11-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I know your answer, but I'll leave it for more fair minded people to consider.
You mean, you'll wait for people to agree with you? The banding was FAR less frequent in the image. But when it did occur it was easier to see. And yes, it was a large band usually in the sky or clouds. I've shown this in my photos.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You mean, you'll wait for people to agree with you? The banding was FAR less frequent in the image. But when it did occur it was easier to see. And yes, it was a large band usually in the sky or clouds. I've shown this in my photos.
Sure I've seen this with lots of projectors and displays on source material that has it encoded in. Often animation. Other better mastered titles with similar gradient skies do not show it. So...
Old 01-11-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Sure I've seen this with lots of projectors and displays on source material that has it encoded in. Often animation. Other better mastered titles with similar gradient skies do not show it. So...
The only issue is that it's not in the source frame. I posted the unaltered PNG of Tom's face and I can post the unaltered image of the sky where I showed that banding. The Sony is adding it to the image.

And as I've pointed out before, you can even take source related issues out of the equation by pulling up the internal greyscale ramp test patterns inside the service menu. You can easily see the banding issue with these test patterns.

Last edited by Seegs108; 01-11-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

And as I've pointed out before, you can even take source related issues out of the equation by pulling up the internal greyscale ramp test patterns inside the service menu. You can easily see the banding issue with these test patterns.

Sony addressed the banding issues early on. They offered a unit swap if the issue was reported within 90 days of original purchase date.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Sony addressed the banding issues early on. They offered a unit swap if the issue was reported within 90 days of original purchase date.
You're talking about a different banding issue. This was with the power supply causing an odd vertically scrolling horizontal band within the image. My 1000ES unit was not one of the early models afflicted with an excessive issue with this type of band artifact. Newer units on rare occasion can still show that band but it's not common and there's actually a setting in the service menu you can change to totally get rid of the issue, but it will drastically reduce the life of the bulb.

Last edited by Seegs108; 01-11-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 1765
Quote:
You weren't using a weave screen though, right? Many things are harder to see with a screen with holes.

--Darin
Old 01-11-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
You weren't using a weave screen though, right? Many things are harder to see with a screen with holes.

--Darin
No, I use a high power screen like Zombie has. Though my screen is the grey base version.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 1765
Quote:
But when looking at live playback from both projectors, it is clear that the Sony produced a much cleaner, calmer, and sharper image. It's not as bright, ...
Did you have the images matched in how bright they were for this? Some of the things you mention are highly affected by how bright the images are. I've demonstrated this before by leaving everything on the projector the same and just changing the screen gain.

Not that those things aren't true, but should be checked with similar white levels.

--Darin
Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I think the majority of the 1100 owners don`t see this "banding & posterization" issue described above as a real problem. If it was, i`m sure it would be noticed by many others given that this projector is now three years old. Never saw it myself but of course, i wasn`t looking as closely to the image as the examples from Zombie but who does? That's not why I bought this projector to analyze closeups, screenshots of every little detail in faces etc. It is the overall moving image from normal seating distance that matters and in this regard, the 1100 is superior!

I feel like this is magnified up to something it is not. Just my two cents.
stevenjw, joerod, thrang and 1 others like this.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 82
This reminds me of my audiophile friend.
When I'm there and we listen to his system, he points out all of the anomalies in the music that the system produces.
He would remark, "Did You Hear That?"
I say no.
I just sit back and enjoy the music.

Isn't that whats going on here?

When I fire up my theater, I sit back and enjoy the gorgeous picture, I don't look for microscopic issues.
Yes, if the picture shows 3 different hues across the screen, then of course I will complain.
Watching the football games last weekend, or a good movie on blu-ray, the picture looks great.
It invokes the same emotional feeling as I had the first time I fired up the 1000, a life like gorgeous picture as if I was looking out a window at a beautiful view.
Respectfully, Please Give it a rest guy's!
stevenjw, chrisreeves and joerod like this.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Zombie - did you find the Lumagen did a better job with the processing vs Sony?
The 2041 lumagen did a better job with the processing but also thought it was a little too soft. The best 1080P scaling i've seen on the VW1100 was using the HTPC @ UHD res + MadVR which looks excellent.

one of the reason's I keep the .95 Planar is because it's one of the most naturally sharp & unprocessed looking images i've seen yet from any of the projectors I have here. very close to the original source. it's a great reference point when looking at other projectors like the JVC's and Sony.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
I feel like this is magnified up to something it is not. Just my two cents.
The pictures are posted so that each person can take them as they see them. Literally. Though it would be more beneficial for some if a decent $100+ camera were used instead of an iphone/ipad. But I think the camera in the Apple devices are good enough to still show the issue pretty clearly. Some may not be bothered by the extra posterization and banding in the image and that's fine, but it's fair and reasonable to post them so that people can see what the issue looks like and can make an informed decision for themselves. I've just never seen so much opposition to people posting issues with a projector than I have here in this thread. The JVCs have a bright corner issue with what seems like an overwhelming amount of units this year. They also have an issue with taking forever locking onto a new signal went sent one. We don't publicly flog the messenger and deny the issue exists. We post pictures and discuss it in a civilized manner. Why we can't do this in this thread is beyond me. Instead I get told leave, that I'm getting paid off by JVC and that I should go and enjoy my 51st projector.

Last edited by Seegs108; 01-11-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The only issue is that it's not in the source frame. I posted the unaltered PNG of Tom's face and I can post the unaltered image of the sky where I showed that banding. The Sony is adding it to the image.

I think your 51st projector should be a Super 8, and all your worries will be gone...
joerod and telem like this.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
I think your 51st projector should be a Super 8, and all your worries will be gone...
lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread