Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 445 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 967Likes

post #13321 of 13342 Old 01-26-2016, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
Apologies, Chris.. I didn't see your note about 1.5 years warranty. Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that Sony might go with the serial number for warranty but in hind sight, you are correct. I should not buy, without a sony dealer receipt. Thanks again..
I would also say that the receipt would be essential. You may be able to get them to warranty via serial number but it may be a gamble.
audvid likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13322 of 13342 Old 01-26-2016, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Apologies, Chris.. I didn't see your note about 2.5 years warranty. Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that Sony might go with the serial number for warranty but in hind sight, you are correct. I should not buy, without a sony dealer receipt. Thanks again..
No worries I thought it was funny. But seriously - if you can get them to go cheap enough then anything is worth buying. But for reference I bought mine 6 months ago for $9,000 as the VPL-VW1000ES, then paid for the upgrade board from Sony. So with that I'm in it for about $11,000 as an "open box" 1100ES with full Sony warranty and an additional third party 5 year warranty on top of it that they threw in.

If I had to buy the same projector with no warranty I would still buy it but want to be compensated for no warranty. In your case - I personally would value the 1100ES at maybe $9,000 if there is no receipt and thus no way to prove there is a warranty. If you save enough up front you can pay for any repairs later out of pocket.
audvid likes this.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
post #13323 of 13342 Old 01-26-2016, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Has anyone here bought a new Sony 1100es on ebay?
A new unit went just now, for $13,000 - shipped within USA not from Japan.
I messaged the seller and he did say that it was in USA warranty.
Considering ebay's guarantee, is there a big risk? - Especially, if the seller has an older account?
Oh I think I know the one you're talking about. Is the seller who claims that he will include an American third party warranty with the projector? I think this is a new-in-box Japanese unit. If so, technically I think you're getting a warranty - just not from Sony.

You can buy the Japanese market 1100ES for $12,000 shipped brand new from legitimate importers - so if this guy wants $13,000 you are paying $1K for a third party warranty.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

post #13324 of 13342 Old 01-27-2016, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post
Oh I think I know the one you're talking about. Is the seller who claims that he will include an American third party warranty with the projector? I think this is a new-in-box Japanese unit. If so, technically I think you're getting a warranty - just not from Sony.

You can buy the Japanese market 1100ES for $12,000 shipped brand new from legitimate importers - so if this guy wants $13,000 you are paying $1K for a third party warranty.
Actually, the guy you are referring to, wants $14000 and offers japanese warranty plus 3 year CPS after market warranty. I don't trust CPS - googled it and had bad reviews. The one I was referring to was the one which was sold for $13,000. You are right..I am just going to wait around. I would rather buy from a fellow member here, anyway.. and I am not yet ready for it, anyway. One thing I know, is that I won't buy the JVC 600. As you know, they had a great pre-order deal here on AVS. i was tempted but am glad I didn't buy it.
post #13325 of 13342 Old 01-27-2016, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
LOL - not too make fun of you but did you read what you quoted me saying? It had the full new three year Sony factory warranty from the date of my purchase (about 6 months ago so I have 2.5 years of warranty left) - I got it in writing from the Sony dealer and also from Sony itself.

As for buying from a private individual I have no idea what the warranty situation is on that. But if you can't get a receipt and you can't get someone at Sony to put it in writing that you have the warranty, I'm not sure why you think you will have a warranty. I'm not saying don't buy the projector - but it is for sure worth less money with no receipt and no warranty documentation.
I'll probably be shipping my 1100ES for the warranty service (10 months remaining on my 3-year warranty). How does the Extended Warranty work - presume I can't purchase it now - and can only be purchased at the time of original purchase? Also, do these UnitedRadio service technicians know about the SXRD panel degradation problems?
post #13326 of 13342 Old 01-28-2016, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you or person you by from person have a the prime support included a 3 year warrenty
Normaly all the VW 1000 /1100 have prime support i think, i would double check this
post #13327 of 13342 Old 01-28-2016, 08:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3260 Post(s)
Liked: 1950
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
LOL - not too make fun of you but did you read what you quoted me saying? It had the full new three year Sony factory warranty from the date of my purchase (about 6 months ago so I have 2.5 years of warranty left) - I got it in writing from the Sony dealer and also from Sony itself.

As for buying from a private individual I have no idea what the warranty situation is on that. But if you can't get a receipt and you can't get someone at Sony to put it in writing that you have the warranty, I'm not sure why you think you will have a warranty. I'm not saying don't buy the projector - but it is for sure worth less money with no receipt and no warranty documentation.
No receipt, will mean no warranty. Even with a receipt, does not guarantee warranty service, if the receipt does not meet the requirements.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada & more.
post #13328 of 13342 Old 01-28-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2793 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
I'll probably be shipping my 1100ES for the warranty service (10 months remaining on my 3-year warranty). How does the Extended Warranty work - presume I can't purchase it now - and can only be purchased at the time of original purchase? Also, do these UnitedRadio service technicians know about the SXRD panel degradation problems?
What issues are you experiencing with your 1100ES currently that's making you send it in?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!!
post #13329 of 13342 Old 01-29-2016, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Last night, a new in the box 1100 went for $9150 on ebay. I was outbid in the final seconds and didn't get time to up mine
What a deal, it was! At that price, I was not going to worry about warranty!

Anyway, is Sony going to fix the contrast drop issue, if it were during warranty. If Sony were to do that, paying more for a unit with Warranty would be quite worth it. But frankly, at $9150, it would be worth using it for 3 years and moving on, without warranty replacement!
post #13330 of 13342 Old 01-29-2016, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Last night, a new in the box 1100 went for $9150 on ebay. I was outbid in the final seconds and didn't get time to up mine
What a deal, it was! At that price, I was not going to worry about warranty!

Anyway, is Sony going to fix the contrast drop issue, if it were during warranty. If Sony were to do that, paying more for a unit with Warranty would be quite worth it. But frankly, at $9150, it would be worth using it for 3 years and moving on, without warranty replacement!
Yes I saw it myself - glad you were on top of it! Nobody knows what, if anything, Sony will do about the contrast drop. I don't believe there has yet been a "test case" where someone has attempted to call this a warranty issue and get Sony to replace the optical block.

If they are like me - it's because they're too lazy and after 2,000 hours on my unit the overall image when using a 4K source is still so ridiculously good I don't know what I could replace it with.

The image is SO SHARP.
joerod, d.j. and TheSony4KRises like this.

post #13331 of 13342 Old 01-29-2016, 07:34 PM

These units are excellent. Even if they lose half the native contrast they still have no peer for 4K content. I think that even if we drop down the native contrast I don't think any DLP units will reach a diminished Sony's contrast. Factor in the great DI, sharp lens and good ansi and you have a great unit still. I have to imagine the degradation is heat or light related but time will tell. For now I am moving to using the high cooling level, low lamp and swapping to a new lamp every 400 hrs.
joerod likes this.
post #13332 of 13342 Old 01-29-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
These units are excellent. Even if they lose half the native contrast they still have no peer for 4K content. I think that even if we drop down the native contrast I don't think any DLP units will reach a diminished Sony's contrast. Factor in the great DI, sharp lens and good ansi and you have a great unit still. I have to imagine the degradation is heat or light related but time will tell. For now I am moving to using the high cooling level, low lamp and swapping to a new lamp every 400 hrs.
A Sim2 Lumis has between 5000:1 and 7000:1 native contrast depending on throw and has a 2-3x dynamic iris like the Sony. If a Sony gets down to 2500:1 or 3000:1 like several have reported than the Sim2 (and a few single chip DLPs) will have higher native and dynamic contrast. But obviously if you don't have that great of a drop then yes the 1100ES will still do better.

post #13333 of 13342 Old 01-29-2016, 07:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Still with everything else out there it's tough to beat either the 1100 or 665. They simply put out the best image available today. Yes they cost more but like everything else you get what you pay for. Go big or go home... Can't wait to see how the 5000ES stacks up!
Paul Sim and TheSony4KRises like this.

4K or nothing!!!
post #13334 of 13342 Old 01-29-2016, 08:26 PM

If a degraded unit has the contrast of a Sim2 Lumis with 4k resolution that is not the worst thing in the world . Sony still needs to address the problem though . Hopefully, we can get some clues on how to prolong the life span of the panels. It would be great if all the panels stayed in the 10-20k native range but even in the 5-10k range we are still talking about great performance. To be honest with you I am not entirely sure that going from 6k on/off to 12-15k on/off makes an order of magnitude change visibly in most content. I do see a difference from let's say 7k on/off to 30k on/off native. I have had 3 JVC's so my old RS2 has a slightly better native black level that my VW 1100 currently.
post #13335 of 13342 Old 01-31-2016, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 34
For the record thought I would post how Oblivion looks on my Pannyae2000.

1st foto is the Panny in isolation.

the 2nd is a comparison between the Sony(in Reference Mode--Left Hand Side) and the Panny(In Cinema 1 mode--Right Hand Side).
Both fotos taken with the same settings on my(somewhat limited )phone(Sony Errikson-3MegaPixel-2009)

Even with the restricted capabilities of my phone ,The Sony's superior sharpness comes through.

The somewhat greenish tone to the Panny's image is something inherent in that PJ's make up.It was well known to exhibit this characteristic at the time of it's release(in 2007) and is not the result of degradation(at least I don't think it is).

But then again....the Sony looked sharper than the JVC too with Zombie's camera/phone.

For the record...Oblivion looks awesome on the Panny too.
Reality Creation,E-Shift,SmoothScreen...it's all good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00153.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1222258   Click image for larger version

Name:	pannysony.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1222330  
post #13336 of 13342 Old 01-31-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there anyway to set the exposure a bit longer on your phone? Or a way to possibly use a real camera? Those are extremely dark looking photos. It's really hard to make out much of anything.

Last edited by Seegs108; 01-31-2016 at 12:21 PM.
post #13337 of 13342 Old 01-31-2016, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Sorry Seegs...best i can do with what I have got.

I resized the comparison between the Sony(left) and Panny(right) to make it a bit more equitable.
Whichever way you cut it the Sony is sharper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pannysony2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1222354  

Last edited by TheSony4KRises; 01-31-2016 at 01:09 PM.
post #13338 of 13342 Old 02-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Apologies, Chris.. I didn't see your note about 2.5 years warranty. Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that Sony might go with the serial number for warranty but in hind sight, you are correct. I should not buy, without a sony dealer receipt. Thanks again..
There's always 3rd party warranties. Squaretrade won't touch these expensive projectors, but there are some warranty companies that will. I think CPS is the name of one such firm. On such a large investment you really need a warranty.

JVC RS500, Denon 7200WA, 7.2.4 Atmos/DTSX dedicated Theater. 133" Dalite 1.3 screen. M&K 150 + K7 ear level, 4 Tannoy DC overheads.

For Sale: Sony FMP-X10 4k Media Player
post #13339 of 13342 Old 02-02-2016, 07:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
I think CPS is the name of one such firm. On such a large investment you really need a warranty.
I googled "CPS complaints". Would not buy CPS. Typically, I don't trust after market warranties - with rare exceptions, they are nothing but trouble. I had an after market warranty for a laptop (newegg?) - it took several months and hours of conversations to get it fixed - and that too not completely. Finally, I gave up!
I am wondering whether Sony contrast loss would be tested by a owner/lawyer, against Sony warranty.
It would be nice if Sony came to the rescue. Especially when people spent $15k to $25k on it.. they deserve better from Sony.

Contrast loss or not, I still think that the 1100 is probably the best projector on the market today.. Based on my personal historical experience, I am not a fan of JVC (maybe good blacks but too soft and lower clarity - high contrast is not the only deciding factor for me - High quality Lens is!). And I am still looking around.. would probably buy a 1100 later this year.

Last edited by audvid; 02-02-2016 at 07:12 PM.
post #13340 of 13342 Old 02-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Perhaps CPS is hit or miss. I once got two bulbs from them after a prior owner sold me his AE1000 with a CPS warranty but that was several years ago.

JVC RS500, Denon 7200WA, 7.2.4 Atmos/DTSX dedicated Theater. 133" Dalite 1.3 screen. M&K 150 + K7 ear level, 4 Tannoy DC overheads.

For Sale: Sony FMP-X10 4k Media Player
post #13341 of 13342 Old 02-03-2016, 12:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Is there anyway to set the exposure a bit longer on your phone? Or a way to possibly use a real camera? Those are extremely dark looking photos. It's really hard to make out much of anything.
For the iPhone the slow shutter cam app was $0.99 last I checked. I assume similar apps are available for other systems.

--Darin
post #13342 of 13342 Old Today, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI there's going to be a projector shootout next Saturday (February 13th) at a forum member's house in Granby, Massachusetts. We're actively looking for a member who owns a 665ES or an 1100ES who might want to join us in the shootout. Right now we have a JVC DLA-RS400, RS500, and Epson LS10000 and depending on what I have here by next weekend possibly a 3-chip DLP unit. If you'd like to join us, please PM me for more information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread