Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 470 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 1263Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14071 of 14079 Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 4,137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
In the contrast department too. The 1000 is from early 2012, over 4 1/2 years old! Look at what JVC was doing back then and feel better. Projector tech moves too fast. You can't compare projectors with an almost 5 year age gap and feel good about the P/P ratio of the older one.
When has projector technology moved fast? The Sony 1000/1100 can still play UHD BD in SDR709 without an external processor and SDR2020 with an external processor. And this is a 5 year old projector
roxiedog13 likes this.
blee0120 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14072 of 14079 Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,073
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The amount of pincushion depends on your throw. Shorter throw, more pincushion. Longer throw, less pincushion. Easy enough to calculate the amount of pincushion you would have. What is your screen height and what is your throw?
How do you calculate this when different lenses have different pincushion, the Isco 1.25x has less pincushion than the Isco IIIL as an example. But throw distance is a factor like you say.

Regards
Andreas
My Homecinema
Calibration software: Lightspace and Calman. TPG: Murideo Fresco SIX-G
Meters: Klein K-10 A and Jeti 1501. THX II certified.
Andreas21 is offline  
post #14073 of 14079 Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15,591
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4823 Post(s)
Liked: 2970
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
How do you calculate this when different lenses have different pincushion, the Isco 1.25x has less pincushion than the Isco IIIL as an example. But throw distance is a factor like you say.
Forgot he was talking 1.25. I can calculate for 1.33 lens, but not for the 1.25.
Andreas21 likes this.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, SE, Carada, MicroLite.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #14074 of 14079 Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
Honestly, i can`t afford it but if that`s what it takes, i will get it

How much is "mild" pincushion? Can you see it right away or do you have to really "look for it"?
Do you happen to have a screenshot showing this effect?

You'll have to run about 1 1/2" over on the ends to fill the center of a flat screen . I did it a couple of years and didn't really notice
but I did also have a 3" black velvet border that soaked up the overscan well .


There is a big advantage to getting a curved screen with the A-lens btw. If you run a 1.3-1.6 gain screen that is direct reflective and curved
you will not loose contrast compared to a flat white matt screen. This is especially true if your theater walls and ceiling are lighter, less if the
theater room is a bat cave. My VW600ES was 10,600:1 native and 200,000:1 with DI. the curved screen really helped to retain this contrast level.
Dirk44 likes this.

Dedicated Theater: JVC X950R/RS600 , Panamorph DC1 Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 132" diagonal curved 36FT radius, Denon X7200WA , 7.2.4 Atmos, Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts, Monitor 3 Center, Monitor V7 Rear, SA-ADP In-wall Surround, Niles DS-7 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (4000 watts peak) Klipsch RW-12 + SVS PC13-Ultra
roxiedog13 is online now  
post #14075 of 14079 Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
When has projector technology moved fast? The Sony 1000/1100 can still play UHD BD in SDR709 without an external processor and SDR2020 with an external processor. And this is a 5 year old projector
But it costs 5x what today's projectors cost that can play UHD BD in HDR DCI P3 color without an external processor. And it gets killed by their contrast performance. And it gets killed by the lumen performance when the filter is in place. That's quite a difference.
erkq is online now  
post #14076 of 14079 Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 4,137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
But it costs 5x what today's projectors cost that can play UHD BD in HDR DCI P3 color without an external processor. And it gets killed by their contrast performance. And it gets killed by the lumen performance when the filter is in place. That's quite a difference.
JVC will have much higher contrast than a Sony projector so that isn't a valid reason. The RS500 has much high contrast and much cheaper than the 665es. The 665es has a less CR than the 1100es, so again that is not a good reason. Its not like all of a sudden all Sony projectors CR is improved. The Lumens with the filter is cut, but that's with every projector with a filter, nothing new. You say its 5x more, but people who already have the 1000/1100es are not buying it last week, because they already had it for 2+ years on the average. Still, as I stated, the 1000/1100 can enjoy uhd bd with sdr709 without an external processor and sdr2020 with one. So, its able to be enjoyed for a few more years, maybe even more. It hasn't fallen behind imo.
blee0120 is online now  
post #14077 of 14079 Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
JVC will have much higher contrast than a Sony projector so that isn't a valid reason. The RS500 has much high contrast and much cheaper than the 665es. The 665es has a less CR than the 1100es, so again that is not a good reason. Its not like all of a sudden all Sony projectors CR is improved. The Lumens with the filter is cut, but that's with every projector with a filter, nothing new. You say its 5x more, but people who already have the 1000/1100es are not buying it last week, because they already had it for 2+ years on the average. Still, as I stated, the 1000/1100 can enjoy uhd bd with sdr709 without an external processor and sdr2020 with one. So, its able to be enjoyed for a few more years, maybe even more. It hasn't fallen behind imo.
I'm not talking about "reasons". I'm talking about performance differences. I really don't understand this post. It makes little sense to me.

For example... "isn't a valid reason" for what? Having higher contrast isn't a valid reason for having higher contrast? Being cheaper isn't a valid reason for being cheaper? I really couldn't figure out your point when discussing the 665es.

BTW, the filter cuts the JVC's output only by about 5%. JVC figured something out that Sony didn't.

Last edited by erkq; Today at 12:06 AM.
erkq is online now  
post #14078 of 14079 Old Today, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 4,137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I'm not talking about "reasons". I'm talking about performance differences. I really don't understand this post. It makes little sense to me.

For example... "isn't a valid reason" for what? Having higher contrast isn't a valid reason for having higher contrast? Being cheaper isn't a valid reason for being cheaper? I really couldn't figure out your point when discussing the 665es.

BTW, the filter cuts the JVC's output only by about 5%. JVC figured something out that Sony didn't.
From my understanding you are saying the 1000/1100es out of date and can't compete with current 4k projectors, and I'm saying it has everything needed. You stated that it's performance was not up to par because of it contrast, which I said isn't not a good reason for Sony has not made any improvements in the CR since this projector appeared. For, example the current 665es still has less native CR than the 1000/1100es.
blee0120 is online now  
post #14079 of 14079 Old Today, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
From my understanding you are saying the 1000/1100es out of date and can't compete with current 4k projectors, and I'm saying it has everything needed. You stated that it's performance was not up to par because of it contrast, which I said isn't not a good reason for Sony has not made any improvements in the CR since this projector appeared. For, example the current 665es still has less native CR than the 1000/1100es.
I see your point. But it was still 5x the price all those 5 years ago. And I would not buy a 665es now because of its contrast performance as well as gamut limitations. So, for me, it's still a valid reason. When I speak of "advances" I'm talking about the pj market as a whole and that includes JVC's offerings. Sony may not have progressed as much in the last 5 years but JVC had a little slingshot ride in the P/P ratio area. It might be Sony's turn in the next few years. It can only be good for us.
erkq is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off