AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5091 Post(s)
Liked: 3151
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
Manual discusses throw distance and lens shift percentage but no recommendation for sweet spot on vertical lens shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
Pretty sure the answer is as little shift as possible. That being said, I have some pretty extreme shift because one purpose of the theater is to allow stand-up Rock Band/Wii/etc, and it is fine.
Correct. Try not to mount the lens higher than the image, if you can. The good news is the 1000 lens is a large high quality lens, so less likely to have artifacts from short throws and or larger offsets.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14102 of 14110 Old 11-10-2016, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
Manual discusses throw distance and lens shift percentage but no recommendation for sweet spot on vertical lens shift.
A consistent benchmark has been to have the bottom of lens be no higher than the top of screen (for 16:9 screens).

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc
Indianapolis, IN

RECENTLY ADDED!
Colorimetry Reseach CR-250 4 nm spectroradiometer and Colorimetry Research CR-100 colorimeter
post #14103 of 14110 Old 11-28-2016, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My Thoughts on the VPL-VW1100ES

I got into the 1100 game much later than most, if not all, of this threads participants as I had been eyeing this PJ for a number of months but couldn't bring myself to spring for anywhere close to the retail price. I had looked at the other PJs on the market and kept coming back to the 1100 even though I knew that it didn't support HDR. I realize I may be in the minority but I really don't like the look of HDR content... It's just too dark for me.

My local high end AV retail store (not Best Buy) ran a sale in September and offered their store demo 1100 for $7,500 so I jumped on it and ended up getting a new bulb with it as well as the one in the PJ had significantly lost its "umph". Even though I realize this is a 5 year old projector, it had the features and brightness I was looking for. As it turns out is not an upgraded 1000 unit as it displays a unique serial number (not all 9s) on the display.

In September I launched into the task of starting at the beginning of this thread and reading every post... yes all 14,102 of them. It took me a couple of months of late night and weekend reading but I finally made it to the end, all 471 pages. Aside from the Sony vs. JVC fanboy wars that took place at the end of 2015 and beginning of 2016 (which was a very painful read), I have to say that it was certainly worth the effort. I now know things about the 1100 which I would have never picked up from the manual or trial and error.

I'm not sure how many 1100 owners are still active in this thread as things have really slowed down over the last few months but I wanted to thank the contributors for sharing your expertise through the years. Here are a few of my own thoughts after my first couple of months with the 1100:

1. In addition to being in the minority of people not liking the look of HDR content, I am also in the minority of people who really do like 3D... I pretty much have every 3D action and animated movie and my grandkids love it too. This PJ is awesome for 3D. I replaced my VPL-HW30ES 3D projector and am moving it to a new home theater under construction at my lake house but the 1100 really blows the 30 away on 3D 1080p reproduction. I also really like having separate calibration settings for 2D and 3D content. I went through calibrations for both 2D & 3D separately with the Spears and Munsel Volume 2 Blu-Ray and used the 3D glasses for the 3D calibration. I have 2 calibrations for each using both "Reference" and "Bright Cinema" as a base. There are some 3D movies that benefit from the brighter settings I have in the "Bright Cinema" calibration. I'm extremely happy with the results.
  2. This thing is plenty bright for my 145" 16:9 1.2 Gain Matte White screen in both 2D and 3D mode.
  3. I am very impressed with the 4K upscaling of the 1100. In fact, I bought a few UHD Blu-Ray movies and I really can't tell much resolution difference between the native 4K Blu-Ray and the upscaled 1080p Blu-Ray. I may not be as discriminating as others on this thread but I don't really see myself buying many UHD Blu-Ray disks... If there is a 3D version it usually also comes with the 2D Blu-Ray and I'll be just fine with buying the 2D/3D version rather than the UHD version. I have purchased a few UHD/3D combination movies like Star Trek Beyond, Ghostbusters 2, Angry Birds, and Journey to Space. I'll continue to monitor these combo packs and they may be the only ones I buy in UHD format.
  4. Even though the 1100 is in my Home Theater, it gets used as the main "TV" in addition to watching movies... From Dancing with the Stars (one of my wife's favorites) to NASCAR, this PJ is extremely flexible. Sporting events are truly awesome... Up close and personal.
  5. The only real limitation I have encountered is the fact that 4K 60FPS is only supported in 4:2:0 8-bit mode. I tried to use the new Roku Ultra but the menus are 60FPS and must be either 10-bit or 12-bit which isn't supported by the 1100 so I was never able to get the PJ to display the Ultra 4K Display Test Screen. On the other hand the Roku 4 4K device works just fine with the 1100. It doesn't support HDR but neither does the PJ anyway.
  6. I'm still pretty confused by all this "color space" stuff. I get it in general but, man, is it complicated or what? Thanks to the forum, I'm using BT709 along with D65 and 2.4 Gamma and this is working well for me.

I do have one question. I realize that it is not likely that Sony will offer an additional upgrade (call it a 1200 as others in the forum have referred to it) to add HDR and 18Gb HDMI 2.0a capability but, in terms of "future proofing" the 1100, are there external devices (like Lumigen) that one could use between the receiver and the PJ to intercept the 18Gb content and translate it "down" to a format that the 1100 can use? This would be most useful for 60FPS 4K content.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Dolby Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Sony FMP-X10 4K Media Server, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray, and Roku Ultra 4K Broadband
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-890 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables

Last edited by SLYDoggie; 11-29-2016 at 06:17 AM.
post #14104 of 14110 Old 11-29-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
I do have one question. I realize that it is not likely that Sony will offer an additional upgrade (call it a 1200 as others in the forum have referred to it) to add HDR and 18Gb HDMI 2.0a capability but, in terms of "future proofing" the 1100, are there external devices (like Lumigen) that one could use between the receiver and the PJ to intercept the 18Gb content and translate it "down" to a format that the 1100 can use? This would be most useful for 60FPS 4K content.
Yes, I use the Roku Ultra just fine with a Radiance Pro. They are working on some other enhancements that could possibly translate HDR / WCG content to the 1100ES favorably--but like you said (I'll paraphrase), with a projector and HDR without a really bright light source, its kind of a pointless effort.

I'm like you, if there is 3D and UHD so far I only choose 3D. Doesn't look like the 3D/UHD packs are going to catch on, except maybe from Sony in some cases.

Matt

UMR on HDR vs 4K: The benefit of greater saturation and luminance capability is...not very evident in all images unlike more pixels which can be seen in every scene.
post #14105 of 14110 Old 11-29-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, I use the Roku Ultra just fine with a Radiance Pro. They are working on some other enhancements that could possibly translate HDR / WCG content to the 1100ES favorably--but like you said (I'll paraphrase), with a projector and HDR without a really bright light source, its kind of a pointless effort.

I'm like you, if there is 3D and UHD so far I only choose 3D. Doesn't look like the 3D/UHD packs are going to catch on, except maybe from Sony in some cases.
By the way, have you seen the 3D version of Ghostbusters 2? It has some really fun 3D effects with things shooting beyond the "supposed" film frame... Over the top and bottom black stripes. It definitely demos well. That is one where I bought the UHD/3D combo pack.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Dolby Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Sony FMP-X10 4K Media Server, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray, and Roku Ultra 4K Broadband
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-890 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #14106 of 14110 Old 11-30-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
By the way, have you seen the 3D version of Ghostbusters 2? It has some really fun 3D effects with things shooting beyond the "supposed" film frame... Over the top and bottom black stripes. It definitely demos well. That is one where I bought the UHD/3D combo pack.
You mean the new GB movie I assume, yes it has some nice 3D work. The only reason I bought it at release was because it was priced right and was a UHD/3D combo.

Matt

UMR on HDR vs 4K: The benefit of greater saturation and luminance capability is...not very evident in all images unlike more pixels which can be seen in every scene.
post #14107 of 14110 Old 11-30-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You mean the new GB movie I assume, yes it has some nice 3D work. The only reason I bought it at release was because it was priced right and was a UHD/3D combo.
Yes, sorry... I was talking about the new Ghostbusters movie. I forgot that there actually was an older Ghostbusters 2 movie. I have been waiting for a good movie that really puts 3D on overdrive. I would even love a "demo" 3D BluRay that does crazy stuff just to show off 3D. I did buy a 3D Blu-Ray called "3D Rarities". It is sort of a history of 3D and has a bunch of clips from the very early days of 3D. There are some cool clips but I'm not sure I would pay $40 for it if I had it to do over again.

Regards, Steve
post #14108 of 14110 Old 12-01-2016, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I also don't get the idea of HDR in a front-projection home theatre.

What glasses do you use for 3D films? I find the included IR 3D glasses heavy and bothering my nose. I'd like to switch to some lighter ones, IR or RF, but I am not sure which model would be most recommended.

How is your projector's screen uniformity for white 10-100 IRE images?

Lastly, I agree that the VPL-VW1100ES is a fantastic projector. Don enjoy it to the fullest.

Quote:
I got into the 1100 game much later than most, if not all, of this threads participants as I had been eyeing this PJ for a number of months but couldn't bring myself to spring for anywhere close to the retail price. I had looked at the other PJs on the market and kept coming back to the 1100 even though I knew that it didn't support HDR. I realize I may be in the minority but I really don't like the look of HDR content... It's just too dark for me.

My local high end AV retail store (not Best Buy) ran a sale in September and offered their store demo 1100 for $7,500 so I jumped on it and ended up getting a new bulb with it as well as the one in the PJ had significantly lost its "umph". Even though I realize this is a 5 year old projector, it had the features and brightness I was looking for. As it turns out is not an upgraded 1000 unit as it displays a unique serial number (not all 9s) on the display.

In September I launched into the task of starting at the beginning of this thread and reading every post... yes all 14,102 of them. It took me a couple of months of late night and weekend reading but I finally made it to the end, all 471 pages. Aside from the Sony vs. JVC fanboy wars that took place at the end of 2015 and beginning of 2016 (which was a very painful read), I have to say that it was certainly worth the effort. I now know things about the 1100 which I would have never picked up from the manual or trial and error.

I'm not sure how many 1100 owners are still active in this thread as things have really slowed down over the last few months but I wanted to thank the contributors for sharing your expertise through the years. Here are a few of my own thoughts after my first couple of months with the 1100:

1. In addition to being in the minority of people not liking the look of HDR content, I am also in the minority of people who really do like 3D... I pretty much have every 3D action and animated movie and my grandkids love it too. This PJ is awesome for 3D. I replaced my VPL-HW30ES 3D projector and am moving it to a new home theater under construction at my lake house but the 1100 really blows the 30 away on 3D 1080p reproduction. I also really like having separate calibration settings for 2D and 3D content. I went through calibrations for both 2D & 3D separately with the Spears and Munsel Volume 2 Blu-Ray and used the 3D glasses for the 3D calibration. I have 2 calibrations for each using both "Reference" and "Bright Cinema" as a base. There are some 3D movies that benefit from the brighter settings I have in the "Bright Cinema" calibration. I'm extremely happy with the results.
  2. This thing is plenty bright for my 145" 16:9 1.2 Gain Matte White screen in both 2D and 3D mode.
  3. I am very impressed with the 4K upscaling of the 1100. In fact, I bought a few UHD Blu-Ray movies and I really can't tell much resolution difference between the native 4K Blu-Ray and the upscaled 1080p Blu-Ray. I may not be as discriminating as others on this thread but I don't really see myself buying many UHD Blu-Ray disks... If there is a 3D version it usually also comes with the 2D Blu-Ray and I'll be just fine with buying the 2D/3D version rather than the UHD version. I have purchased a few UHD/3D combination movies like Star Trek Beyond, Ghostbusters 2, Angry Birds, and Journey to Space. I'll continue to monitor these combo packs and they may be the only ones I buy in UHD format.
  4. Even though the 1100 is in my Home Theater, it gets used as the main "TV" in addition to watching movies... From Dancing with the Stars (one of my wife's favorites) to NASCAR, this PJ is extremely flexible. Sporting events are truly awesome... Up close and personal.
  5. The only real limitation I have encountered is the fact that 4K 60FPS is only supported in 4:2:0 8-bit mode. I tried to use the new Roku Ultra but the menus are 60FPS and must be either 10-bit or 12-bit which isn't supported by the 1100 so I was never able to get the PJ to display the Ultra 4K Display Test Screen. On the other hand the Roku 4 4K device works just fine with the 1100. It doesn't support HDR but neither does the PJ anyway.
  6. I'm still pretty confused by all this "color space" stuff. I get it in general but, man, is it complicated or what? Thanks to the forum, I'm using BT709 along with D65 and 2.4 Gamma and this is working well for me.

post #14109 of 14110 Old 12-03-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
I also don't get the idea of HDR in a front-projection home theatre.

What glasses do you use for 3D films? I find the included IR 3D glasses heavy and bothering my nose. I'd like to switch to some lighter ones, IR or RF, but I am not sure which model would be most recommended.

How is your projector's screen uniformity for white 10-100 IRE images?

Lastly, I agree that the VPL-VW1100ES is a fantastic projector. Don enjoy it to the fullest.
On the glasses, there are some who have totally switched to a totally different repeater and glasses but I have stuck with the standard 3D repeater for the 1100. I did find some glasses that I like on eBay from a Hong Kong seller and they have basically the same size lens but they are lighter and just fit differently. They are also pretty inexpensive compared to the Sony ones. I initially bought one pair and then after I received it, I ordered more. Here is the link --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Recharge...YAAOSwDk5T27vy

Regards, Steve
post #14110 of 14110 Old Today, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I realize that it is not likely that Sony will offer an additional upgrade (call it a 1200 as others in the forum have referred to it) to add HDR and 18Gb HDMI 2.0a capability but, in terms of "future proofing" the 1100, are there external devices (like Lumigen) that one could use between the receiver and the PJ to intercept the 18Gb content and translate it "down" to a format that the 1100 can use? This would be most useful for 60FPS 4K content.
I have enjoyed my VW1000 for several years now. I missed out on the original motherboard upgrade program. I've been looking at my options for increased 4k support. I watch mostly movies in the theater, but hate missing out on the occasional 4k sports content via Directv. Got the HD Fury integral which allows me to see HDCP 2.2 sources at 4K24/30, but I still can't watch any 4K60 sources.

Would love to hear the groups thoughts on the value of the VW1100 motherboard upgrade. Could I accomplish something similar by just adding a Lumagen Radiance Pro and letting it convert 4k60 to something the VW1000 can handle. Do I need both? Since my SXRD panel performance is likely degrading, should I save the money and switch to 4k laser in a couple years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread