Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 473 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1316Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14161 of 14189 Old 01-15-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 1,895
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Today, I saw a Sony 350ES, on a 120" diagonal, black grey screen. in a dark room. It was an awful picture. I am shocked as to how bad it is. They showed me a 4k demo and that was ok - nothing stunning. The 2k material had a lot of mosquito noise, processing noise and it was like watching through a screen door (I don't know whether this is related to screen or projector). I also own a very old Epson 8350 (70" white screen) and even the old Epson was better than this Sony 350.

I realize that this might not be the correct thread for this post. The reason for posing here: Owners of the 1000/1100 appreciate the amazing lens and the high quality electronics in the Sony 1000. Even though I have not seen it, your projector is a bench mark for me; because I own the prior version of your projector - the Qualia 004.
Even now, I find that the Qualia is an amazing projector - I appreciate the resolution and clarity of the Karl Zeiss lens and xenon bulb (is xenon better than uhp bulbs?).

As owners of the 1000, you will understand my concerns better, than the owners of the Sony 350es, who might not have experienced a $25k projector.

I have been wondering whether I need to upgrade to 4k, even though I would watch only 2k, 99% of the time. I read a lot of reviews and posts about the 350, 500, Sony 675 etc. Typically, I prefer a Sony projector for its "naturality" in the picture.
But this Sony 350 was probably the worst picture I have seen (and the only true 4k projector I have viewed). I had seen similar problems on LCD TVs also - mostly as posterization. I am guessing that the dislike I have is for the video processing involved and associated artifacts and issues.

Question: Am I missing something? So many people told me that the new Sony 675 is probably better than the Sony 1100 etc.. Now, I am wondering if that could be false.
I had been debating whether to buy the sony 675 or if and when the budget permits, I should get the next gen- like Sony 1200 (I know it has not yet been announced). The new Sony vpl-vz1000 would be perfect for me but I am concerned that its lens quality would not be equal to the sony 1000/1100ES.


Last edited by audvid; 01-16-2017 at 06:59 PM.
audvid is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14162 of 14189 Old 01-15-2017, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16,685
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5548 Post(s)
Liked: 3538
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
Today, I saw a Sony 350ES, on a 120" diagonal, black grey screen. in a dark room. It was an awful picture. I am shocked as to how bad it is. They showed me a 4k demo and that was ok - nothing stunning. The 2k material had a lot of mosquito noise, processing noise and it was like watching through a screen door (I don't know whether this is related to screen or projector). I also own a very old Epson 8350 (70" white screen) and even the old Epson was better than this Sony 350.

I realize that this might not be the correct thread for this post. The reason for posing here: Owners of the 1000/1100 appreciate the amazing lens and the high quality electronics in the Sony 1000. Even though I have not seen it, your projector is a bench mark for me; because I own the prior version of your projector - the Qualia 004.
Even now, I find that the Qualia is an amazing projector - I appreciate the resolution and clarity of the Karl Zeiss lens and xenon bulb (is xenon better than uhp bulbs?).

As owners of the 1000, you will understand my concerns better, than the owners of the Sony 350es, who might not have experienced a $25k projector.

I have been wondering whether I need to upgrade to 4k, even though I would watch only 2k, 99% of the time. I read a lot of reviews and posts about the 350, 500, Sony 675 etc. Typically, I prefer a Sony projector for its "naturality" in the picture.
But this Sony 350 was probably the worst picture I have seen (and the only true 4k projector I have viewed). I had seen similar problems on LCD TVs also - mostly as posterization. I am guessing that the dislike I have is for the video processing involved and associated artifacts and issues.

Question: Am I missing something? So many people told me that the new Sony 675 is probably better than the Sony 1100 etc.. Now, I am wondering if that could be false.
I had been debating whether to buy the sony 675 or if and when the budget permits, I should get the next gen- like Sony 1200 (I know it has not yet been announced). The new Sony vpl-vz1000 would be perfect for me but I am concerned that its lens quality would not be equal to the sony 1000/1100ES. Which lens does the vz1000 have?

If any of you have seen the Sony 350/500/600 etc, I would appreciate your comments, as compared to your 1000.
Thank you.
And I did not post it in the 350/500 forums is - I don't want them to get mad at me for berating their projector!
The 350 should look much better than what you saw. If you want native 4K, I would consider the 675, RS4500, if you are not wanting to spend what a VW5000 costs. What is your screen and what size is it? If I can help you, let me know. Info started rolling in today on the RS4500 (production unit) and it is good.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #14163 of 14189 Old 01-15-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 1,895
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The 350 should look much better than what you saw.
My screen is Stewart 1.3 white. The purpose of my post was to figure out if it is just me, who is sensitive to the video processing noise and plastic lenses! I am seeing such poor quality in LCD TVs also and no one seems to care. One "expert" I spoke to, confirmed that he too sees posterization etc on the big box cheap lcd TVs, even with big name Samsung.
Mike, What is your opinion comparing the Sony 350 Vs 675? Night and day difference or just a "slight improvement"?
Thanks
audvid is online now  
 
post #14164 of 14189 Old 01-15-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16,685
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5548 Post(s)
Liked: 3538
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
My screen is Stewart 1.3 white. The purpose of my post was to figure out if it is just me, who is sensitive to the video processing noise and plastic lenses! I am seeing such poor quality in LCD TVs also and no one seems to care. One "expert" I spoke to, confirmed that he too sees posterization etc on the big box cheap lcd TVs, even with big name Samsung.
Mike, What is your opinion comparing the Sony 350 Vs 675? Night and day difference or just a "slight improvement"?
Thanks
Sent you a PM.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #14165 of 14189 Old 01-15-2017, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 1,895
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
My screen is Stewart 1.3 white.
Thanks
Sent you a PM.
oops, forgot to answer. 150" wide, 16x9 Stewart 1.3 screen. Thank you
audvid is online now  
post #14166 of 14189 Old 01-16-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 5,819
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Just received my OPPO 203 today and am in process of hooking up to 1100.

Anyone using the 203.............what video setting are you using. I just set everything to AUTO in OPPO and bitstreamed audio. Just checking what others are doing.................
doublewing11 is offline  
post #14167 of 14189 Old 01-16-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 5,819
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post
I've had this projector since like early 2012, got the upgrade a few years ago, and am on my 5th lamp....this beast is still running like a champ.

I had tried out the Samsung UHD player when it came out but I couldn't get good consistent handshakes through HDMI so I returned it. I just got the new OPPO UHD player and its locking on flawlessly with the Sony. Got to do some good eye test comparisons with Blu Ray vs UHD through the Oppo to the Sony PJ. To my eyes, there's not much of a difference, but there is an ever so slight improvement in resolution. But it is slight.

I have a new OLED TV in another room, so was able to see what HDR looked like on there. Its nice, probably better....but image size being double on the projector is a much more noticeable gain than lack of HDR IMHO.

How do you have your OPPO configured for video? Just received OPPO 203 today and hooked up to three year old upgraded 1100. I'm lazy.........haven't read any manual material...........just AUTO all settings. Audio is bitstreamed................
doublewing11 is offline  
post #14168 of 14189 Old 01-16-2017, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 1,895
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
Today, I saw a Sony 350ES, on a 120" diagonal, black grey screen. in a dark room. It was an awful picture. I am shocked as to how bad it is. They showed me a 4k demo and that was ok - nothing stunning. The 2k material had a lot of mosquito noise, processing noise and it was like watching through a screen door (I don't know whether this is related to screen or projector). I also own a very old Epson 8350 (70" white screen) and even the old Epson was better than this Sony 350.

I realize that this might not be the correct thread for this post. The reason for posing here: Owners of the 1000/1100 appreciate the amazing lens and the high quality electronics in the Sony 1000. Even though I have not seen it, your projector is a bench mark for me; because I own the prior version of your projector - the Qualia 004.
Even now, I find that the Qualia is an amazing projector - I appreciate the resolution and clarity of the Karl Zeiss lens and xenon bulb (is xenon better than uhp bulbs?).

As owners of the 1000, you will understand my concerns better, than the owners of the Sony 350es, who might not have experienced a $25k projector.

I have been wondering whether I need to upgrade to 4k, even though I would watch only 2k, 99% of the time. I read a lot of reviews and posts about the 350, 500, Sony 675 etc. Typically, I prefer a Sony projector for its "naturality" in the picture.
But this Sony 350 was probably the worst picture I have seen (and the only true 4k projector I have viewed). I had seen similar problems on LCD TVs also - mostly as posterization. I am guessing that the dislike I have is for the video processing involved and associated artifacts and issues.

Question: Am I missing something? So many people told me that the new Sony 675 is probably better than the Sony 1100 etc.. Now, I am wondering if that could be false.
I had been debating whether to buy the sony 675 or if and when the budget permits, I should get the next gen- like Sony 1200 (I know it has not yet been announced). The new Sony vpl-vz1000 would be perfect for me but I am concerned that its lens quality would not be equal to the sony 1000/1100ES.
First of all, I am no expert in Video.. Just very experienced. My home theatre was built 21 years ago. My first projection TV was 35 years ago - a 2 piece unit.
I am not sensitive to color correction or gamma changes. I would not even know, if there is a gamma drift.
My current projector is a sony qualia 004 since many years and prior was 9" CRT. I appreciate the amazing lens that the Qualia has.. The picture is clear and rich (Xenon lamp). I thought it might be time to "upgrade". My recent experience has shown me that I can wait for a while and I am not missing anything - because 95% of my viewing is 2k Dish channels.

There are so many experts here on the forum and I am making the following observations as being just a "layman's" opinion.


Today, I viewed Sony hw45es, epson 4040 and Jvc x550. I had also seen, with the same channel, a 85" Sony lcd TV ($8000).

1. What i saw and commented about, on the sony 350 screen door effect was because of the screen. I saw the same here, on one of the screens.
2. Both the Epson 4040 and the jvc 550 have scaling artifacts. As did the Sony TV.
3. The sony 45 had no scaling/digital artifacts - probably because it was 1080p.
4. JVC and Epson did not seem to have scaling artifacts, with 4k Source. I did not watch much of 4k today. I switched right away to 2k fox hd.
5. The "cheap lens" factor was very obvious to me. The picture is not crisp/clean and colors were not rich. Contrast was quite good, on both jvc and epson - but then, it is not a great comparison, because I don't think there were calibrated or set carefully.

While the Epson and the jvc, with 2k Dish source, did have scaling artifacts and some posterization, they were better than what I saw with the Sony 350 yesterday. Having said that, it is possible that there is something wrong with that particular Sony 350, which I saw - either with the source or the projector itself. I cannot believe that the Sony would be so obviously bad.

My over all conclusion - If I were going to buy a projector, the Epson 5040 seems the best value. At $3000 list, I cant see any justification to buy the JVC eshift or Sony 4k (at 3 to 5 times the price?).

I wish I could see a sony 1000. I would expect it to have an amazing clarity, because of its lens.
audvid is online now  
post #14169 of 14189 Old 01-16-2017, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16,685
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5548 Post(s)
Liked: 3538
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
First of all, I am no expert in Video.. Just very experienced. My home theatre was built 21 years ago. My first projection TV was 35 years ago - a 2 piece unit.
I am not sensitive to color correction or gamma changes. I would not even know, if there is a gamma drift.
My current projector is a sony qualia 004 since many years and prior was 9" CRT. I appreciate the amazing lens that the Qualia has.. The picture is clear and rich (Xenon lamp). I thought it might be time to "upgrade". My recent experience has shown me that I can wait for a while and I am not missing anything - because 95% of my viewing is 2k Dish channels.

There are so many experts here on the forum and I am making the following observations as being just a "layman's" opinion.


Today, I viewed Sony hw45es, epson 4040 and Jvc x550. I had also seen, with the same channel, a 85" Sony lcd TV ($8000).

1. What i saw and commented about, on the sony 350 screen door effect was because of the screen. I saw the same here, on one of the screens.
2. Both the Epson 4040 and the jvc 550 have scaling artifacts. As did the Sony TV.
3. The sony 45 had no scaling/digital artifacts - probably because it was 1080p.
4. JVC and Epson did not seem to have scaling artifacts, with 4k Source. I did not watch much of 4k today. I switched right away to 2k fox hd.
5. The "cheap lens" factor was very obvious to me. The picture is not crisp/clean and colors were not rich. Contrast was quite good, on both jvc and epson - but then, it is not a great comparison, because I don't think there were calibrated or set carefully.

While the Epson and the jvc, with 2k Dish source, did have scaling artifacts and some posterization, they were better than what I saw with the Sony 350 yesterday. Having said that, it is possible that there is something wrong with that particular Sony 350, which I saw - either with the source or the projector itself. I cannot believe that the Sony would be so obviously bad.

My over all conclusion - If I were going to buy a projector, the Epson 5040 seems the best value. At $3000 list, I cant see any justification to buy the JVC eshift or Sony 4k (at 3 to 5 times the price?).

I wish I could see a sony 1000. I would expect it to have an amazing clarity, because of its lens.
The JVC is a 1080P projector, so turn E-shift off when viewing 1080P content and you can't have any scaling artifact with it. 3 to 5 times the price? Street price of the entry level JVC is the same as the 5040.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #14170 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 1,895
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
3 to 5 times the price? Street price of the entry level JVC is the same as the 5040.
I included the 3 to 5 times in paranthesis for the Sony. I believe the sony 350 is 10k and 675 is 15k. If 3-5 times number was meant to be for both JVC and Sony, the parenthesis would not have been needed.
Anyway, my intent is not to berate any brand or purchase. It is only my personal and as I stated, non expert opinion. Certainly, there are many experts on this forum and I mean no disrespect to their opinions or expertise.
audvid is online now  
post #14171 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16,685
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5548 Post(s)
Liked: 3538
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
I included the 3 to 5 times in paranthesis for the Sony. I believe the sony 350 is 10k and 675 is 15k. If 3-5 times number was meant to be for both JVC and Sony, the parenthesis would not have been needed.
Anyway, my intent is not to berate any brand or purchase. It is only my personal and as I stated, non expert opinion. Certainly, there are many experts on this forum and I mean no disrespect to their opinions or expertise.
Sorry, missed that.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #14172 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 10:15 AM
Member
 
R. La Maestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lansdowne, VA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Just received my OPPO 203 today and am in process of hooking up to 1100.

Anyone using the 203.............what video setting are you using. I just set everything to AUTO in OPPO and bitstreamed audio. Just checking what others are doing.................
I tested pretty much all the options on the 203 and now they are mostly on AUTO, use the info button pressing a second time and holding it a bit and the Oppo shows a few screens of all the technical data of what is coming from the disc, out of the player and fed into your projector, which will be SDR/709/8-bit regardless if the metadata flag has been removed on the menu. I have to try to restart the player after doing that because is static HDR10 metadata.

My understanding is that even when the 1100 can handle 10-bit and various color spaces it defaults to SDR/709/8-bit and does not recognize a BT2020 container.

At CES I discussed the subject with Sony and they are coming out with two 4K players suited with the ability to send to this projector an xvcolor upgraded version of an HDR image that could not display ASIs but rather would be a half way between SDR and HDR versions.

Additionally, when demoing the short throw laser projector, now half of its original $50k price, I was told that Sony may offer a new projector to replace the 1100 now that the JVC and Wolf competition came out with their $35k and $50K versions of LCOs.
audvid likes this.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo La Maestra
R. La Maestra is offline  
post #14173 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
How do you have your OPPO configured for video? Just received OPPO 203 today and hooked up to three year old upgraded 1100. I'm lazy.........haven't read any manual material...........just AUTO all settings. Audio is bitstreamed................
I have set the OPPO to UHD/24 in the output resolution section of the menu.
Works a treat.

But you have to switch the OPPO on first and then the 1100/1000.
If I do it the other way round there is some handshake issue ......I just get a blackscreen.
audvid likes this.
TheSony4KRises is offline  
post #14174 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Senior Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
I included the 3 to 5 times in paranthesis for the Sony. I believe the sony 350 is 10k and 675 is 15k. If 3-5 times number was meant to be for both JVC and Sony, the parenthesis would not have been needed.
Anyway, my intent is not to berate any brand or purchase. It is only my personal and as I stated, non expert opinion. Certainly, there are many experts on this forum and I mean no disrespect to their opinions or expertise.
The release of the Z1 and the stuff from Wolf has put the 1000/1100es in an interesting location.
Seeing as the lens in the 1000/1100 is the same as that employed in the 5000es then that speaks volumes for it's quality.
As Turls said,you are missing HDR and the WCG with this model.
From what I have seen of HDR on 65inch OLEDs.....it's pretty crap.Good for watching the Eiffel Tower illuminated at night.....but pretty damn ugly for real cinematic content.
I have pixel peeped this demo on the OLED up close:



...and the amount of noise and banding is reprehensible.

So I am not missing it on the 1000es.

I have pumped the UHD of the original Ghostbusters(1984) through the 1000es(I am using an integral for the bypass).
In terms of detail and grain......outstanding.Every last ounce of info is there.
Some of the opticals from the flick suffer due to the excessive sharpness applied by the 1000/1100es but hey......you wanna see whats on the original negative....now is your chance.

And it looks like there could be solutions from Sony,Lumagen ect regarding the 1000/1100es's ability to render BT2020.

So if you have the cash I would recommend this PJ as a kind of hi end go between
audvid likes this.
TheSony4KRises is offline  
post #14175 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 1,895
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
And it looks like there could be solutions from Sony,Lumagen ect regarding the 1000/1100es's ability to render BT2020.

So if you have the cash I would recommend this PJ as a kind of hi end go between
Good suggestion. I am fan of the 1000/1100 of course - because I know I would appreciate the lens quality - same quality or better than my qualia's Karl Zeiss lens! but I do believe that the contrast loss is real. The price of used 1100 has not gone down enough, for me to justify the expense.
Interesting that some "experts" said that they liked the 675 better than the 1100. I am shocked.. because I saw the 350 (same lens as 675 and electronics are the same (except for increased contrast and dyanamic iris ) I am told).. I say I am shocked, because the poor quality of the lens was very obvious to me. What I don't understand is, how the "expert reviewer" in a magazine would not notice it - especially, while he has also reviewed the sony 5000!
TheSony4KRises likes this.
audvid is online now  
post #14176 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 11:29 AM
Senior Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. La Maestra View Post
I tested pretty much all the options on the 203 and now they are mostly on AUTO, use the info button pressing a second time and holding it a bit and the Oppo shows a few screens of all the technical data of what is coming from the disc, out of the player and fed into your projector, which will be SDR/709/8-bit regardless if the metadata flag has been removed on the menu. I have to try to restart the player after doing that because is static HDR10 metadata.

My understanding is that even when the 1100 can handle 10-bit and various color spaces it defaults to SDR/709/8-bit and does not recognize a BT2020 container.

At CES I discussed the subject with Sony and they are coming out with two 4K players suited with the ability to send to this projector an xvcolor upgraded version of an HDR image that could not display ASIs but rather would be a half way between SDR and HDR versions.

Additionally, when demoing the short throw laser projector, now half of its original $50k price, I was told that Sony may offer a new projector to replace the 1100 now that the JVC and Wolf competition came out with their $35k and $50K versions of LCOs.
Thanks for the info.Appreciated.
TheSony4KRises is offline  
post #14177 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 1,895
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. La Maestra View Post
At CES I discussed the subject with Sony and they are coming out with two 4K players suited with the ability to send to this projector an xvcolor upgraded version of an HDR image that could not display ASIs but rather would be a half way between SDR and HDR versions.

Additionally, when demoing the short throw laser projector, now half of its original $50k price, I was told that Sony may offer a new projector to replace the 1100 now that the JVC and Wolf competition came out with their $35k and $50K versions of LCOs.
Did you get a chance to talk to them about the lens on the short throw? Have you seen the short throw? How does it compare to the 1000/1100? The short throw seems like a great option!
audvid is online now  
post #14178 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Member
 
R. La Maestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lansdowne, VA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
Did you get a chance to talk to them about the lens on the short throw? Have you seen the short throw? How does it compare to the 1000/1100? The short throw seems like a great option!
I came back to see the short throw demo 3 times in search for points of weakness and I did not find obvious ones, the lighted environment it was demo into, and the very high gain black screen, small indeed, made it difficult to evaluate how this projector would compare to the way most of us use our 1100 in mostly total darkness.

It is bright, it displays a punchy image, and it was shown while many ceiling reflector lights were pointing down to the audience, intentionally. I have to review the unit in a normal HT environment and with a 1.0 gain screen in order to make a more proper judgment if this would be a suitable step up for 1100 owners.
audvid likes this.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo La Maestra

Last edited by R. La Maestra; 01-17-2017 at 01:19 PM.
R. La Maestra is offline  
post #14179 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 1,895
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 94
We have some very capable members, here on the forum. I am sure they will eventually find the answers.. about what type of lens it has, how it would compare to the 1100 etc..
audvid is online now  
post #14180 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 03:06 PM
Member
 
R. La Maestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lansdowne, VA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
We have some very capable members, here on the forum. I am sure they will eventually find the answers.. about what type of lens it has, how it would compare to the 1100 etc..
Lens quality was always my primary concern in considering a 1100 setup, there were no answers at the demo, he was not very knowledgable about the 1100, and many other technical questions I asked, he did not even know if a CinemaScope AR screen could be used (it was 16x9 roll down).

However, the Sony manager that I always meet at CES, for almost 30 years for me, he knew exactly what I was looking for and we both agreed that I am not looking for any lens compromises, such as the 675, we will have to review all the details before considering this projector as a true competitor of the quality of the 1100, laser does not rock my boat as primary reason either.

Besides, there is yet no standard about HDR projection, HDR color mapping, etc, etc. I only want 10-bit SDR 1024 steps of light within the 100 nits and a WCG that can be accurately mapped from the Rec.2020 container in a consistent basis.

The new Sony player appears to be the only hope with creating an xvcolor from Rec2020.
audvid and TheSony4KRises like this.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo La Maestra
R. La Maestra is offline  
post #14181 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 1,895
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I don't have the budget for the Sony 5000, but this is what scares me about Sony projectors.. And this is what I saw, on the Sony 350.

RS3771Video Mosquito Noise Watched The Accountant in 4K on the 5000 and noticed video noise from time-to-time - bypassing the Radiance Pro - similar problem as with Jason Bourne 4K and the Magnificent Seven 4K while Sully 4K was flawless. Deepwater Horizon 4K PQ also seemed fine - not sure if others have observed this as well. Not sure what makes the 5000 show video noise with certain content and not others. I don't recall seeing video noise even once with the 1100ES I enjoyed for 3 years...




The Official 5000ES 4K Laser Sony Owner's Thread
RS3771Video Mosquito Noise I've been puzzling over the mosquito noise that I see off- and on- when playing either good old 1080p blurays or UHD SD videos from the Strato or UHD HDR from the Panny either via Radiance Pro or bypassing it. Sometimes I think the noise is more when video content is not of stellar quality. UHD HDR discs like the Magnificant Seven, Jason Bourne, and the Accountant all looked quite crappy/ultra-noisy when projected using 5000ES. Now, Sully UHD HDR was flawless; even the Deepwater Horizon seemed pretty noise-free. I've played around with turning Reality Creation on and off, increasing/decreasing resolution after turning on Reality Creation, changing Noise Reduction setting, etc. Also tried enabling and disabling Darbee in the Radiance Pro - none of these seem to help.
audvid is online now  
post #14182 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 5,819
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Thanks guys..........................

I was able to mess around with the OPPO and the 1100. Tried all settings.............tried 10 bit and watched a few 4k blu-rays. Too much banding for my liking so went back to AUTO and banding disappeared. Showing 4K SD so should suffice for now..............no black screen no matter what I set to............no handshake issues either. The OPPO is head and shoulders better than that piece of crap Samsung I had for one week....................returned Samsung. Glad I waited for the OPPO.

I'm thinking another bulb in 1100 and then look towards the new 4K JVC..................but I'll wait to see how that projector progresses.........still love the picture the 1100 throws!!!!

Thanks again................
adidino likes this.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #14183 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16,685
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5548 Post(s)
Liked: 3538
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Thanks guys..........................

I was able to mess around with the OPPO and the 1100. Tried all settings.............tried 10 bit and watched a few 4k blu-rays. Too much banding for my liking so went back to AUTO and banding disappeared. Showing 4K SD so should suffice for now..............no black screen no matter what I set to............no handshake issues either. The OPPO is head and shoulders better than that piece of crap Samsung I had for one week....................returned Samsung. Glad I waited for the OPPO.

I'm thinking another bulb in 1100 and then look towards the new 4K JVC..................but I'll wait to see how that projector progresses.........still love the picture the 1100 throws!!!!

Thanks again................
Just sent you an email.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #14184 of 14189 Old 01-17-2017, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16,685
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5548 Post(s)
Liked: 3538
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
I don't have the budget for the Sony 5000, but this is what scares me about Sony projectors.. And this is what I saw, on the Sony 350.

RS3771Video Mosquito Noise Watched The Accountant in 4K on the 5000 and noticed video noise from time-to-time - bypassing the Radiance Pro - similar problem as with Jason Bourne 4K and the Magnificent Seven 4K while Sully 4K was flawless. Deepwater Horizon 4K PQ also seemed fine - not sure if others have observed this as well. Not sure what makes the 5000 show video noise with certain content and not others. I don't recall seeing video noise even once with the 1100ES I enjoyed for 3 years...




The Official 5000ES 4K Laser Sony Owner's Thread
RS3771Video Mosquito Noise I've been puzzling over the mosquito noise that I see off- and on- when playing either good old 1080p blurays or UHD SD videos from the Strato or UHD HDR from the Panny either via Radiance Pro or bypassing it. Sometimes I think the noise is more when video content is not of stellar quality. UHD HDR discs like the Magnificant Seven, Jason Bourne, and the Accountant all looked quite crappy/ultra-noisy when projected using 5000ES. Now, Sully UHD HDR was flawless; even the Deepwater Horizon seemed pretty noise-free. I've played around with turning Reality Creation on and off, increasing/decreasing resolution after turning on Reality Creation, changing Noise Reduction setting, etc. Also tried enabling and disabling Darbee in the Radiance Pro - none of these seem to help.
The VW1100 has some non defeatable noise reduction. Makes for a very smooth, grain free image, though it gives up some accuracy to the source. A lot of people really like this, while others want a true representation of the source. The VW5000 may have less of this built in. As for why you see it on some movies more than others is because some movies have more grain than others. The Bourne movies have pretty high grain.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #14185 of 14189 Old 02-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
BOBCAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Sony is finally coming out with a replacement for the 1100 with LED light source.
Will be released January 2018. it will have 2500 lumens, and will cost $25K
Decided not to buy the JVC 4500 to replace my 1100es and wait for Sony's new projector.
Will pick up a Sony 675es for now, and sell it when I receive the 1200es(?)
BOBCAT is offline  
post #14186 of 14189 Old 02-07-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,952
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post
Sony is finally coming out with a replacement for the 1100 with LED light source.
Will be released January 2018. it will have 2500 lumens, and will cost $25K
Decided not to buy the JVC 4500 to replace my 1100es and wait for Sony's new projector.
Will pick up a Sony 675es for now, and sell it when I receive the 1200es(?)
Source? And will they feel the need to address the elephant in the room when they didn't on the 5000ES (probably not).

Matt

UMR on HDR vs 4K: The benefit of greater saturation and luminance capability is...not very evident in all images unlike more pixels which can be seen in every scene.
turls is offline  
post #14187 of 14189 Old 02-07-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 1,895
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post
Sony is finally coming out with a replacement for the 1100 with LED light source.
Will be released January 2018. it will have 2500 lumens, and will cost $25K
Decided not to buy the JVC 4500 to replace my 1100es and wait for Sony's new projector.
Will pick up a Sony 675es for now, and sell it when I receive the 1200es(?)
Please look at this thread for DPI 4k 12000 lumen laser projector also. - msrp $44000 I think. I think they are also coming out with a 5000 lumen single chip DLP for around $22k.
I am no expert about HDR and P3 color etc.. but it seems to me that high lumen output is desirable.. Of course, it seems like the DPI units would have lower contrast ratings than the Sonys. I am not suggesting that they are better.. I like the high lumen output of the DPI but am very concerned about the contrast..
audvid is online now  
post #14188 of 14189 Old 02-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
 
BakeApples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post
Sony is finally coming out with a replacement for the 1100 with LED light source.
Will be released January 2018. it will have 2500 lumens, and will cost $25K
Decided not to buy the JVC 4500 to replace my 1100es and wait for Sony's new projector.
Will pick up a Sony 675es for now, and sell it when I receive the 1200es(?)
A much-awaited successor if this information proves to be true. I can see myself upgrading to this new laser machine in a couple of years when i move to a house and can have a dedicated HT room with a large screen. For my current sized screen, the 550/675 is perfect and i see no reason to upgrade until this new laser comes out and hopefully also have come down a bit in price.

Sony VPL-VW550 | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Lumagen Radiance Pro 4440 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | Oppo UDP-203 | Zappiti One 4k HDR | PS4 | Audio Pro/Pioneer 5.1.4 Atmos | SVS SB-1000
BakeApples is online now  
post #14189 of 14189 Old 02-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post
Sony is finally coming out with a replacement for the 1100 with LED light source.
Will be released January 2018. it will have 2500 lumens, and will cost $25K
Decided not to buy the JVC 4500 to replace my 1100es and wait for Sony's new projector.
Will pick up a Sony 675es for now, and sell it when I receive the 1200es(?)
Be nice if Sony give an option to trade in the 1100/1000es for the 1200es......like they did for the 1100/1000es with the Qualia
TheSony4KRises is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off