Forum Jump: 
 1318Likes

post #14191 of 14203 Old 02-22-2017, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hello John,

i have the same combi as you and tried this for long time, before the oppo with the panny as well and before the linker with the normal fury.

Theres is no way to a get nativ 2160p with 2020 Colors with or without HDR on the VW 1100, you need a Lumagen Pro Scaler for that , to created a 3 D LUT plus new calibration.

Lumagen is still working on a new firmware update for intensiv mapping.
After all our VW 1100 Hdmi Chip will be limited by 9 Gps in the upcoming bigger UHD Disc signals up to 18Gps
can not shown at the sony.

But one german user get a good 2020 results with the Lumagen Pro so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14192 of 14203 Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked: 1388
The 1000 is not hdr capable
post #14193 of 14203 Old 02-22-2017, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk44 View Post
But one german user get a good 2020 results with the Lumagen Pro so far
Thanks Dirk44,
The Lumagen Radiance Pro is too expensive to buy for my need... I think I better wait for the new VPL-VW1200 next year ... What suprized me is: even the current VPL-VW1100ES can't afford this UHD compliancy (even without HDR) ...

OK, I see that calibrating the 1000/1100 with DCI color is not enough to re-map the BT2020 of the UHD bluray on projector DCI mode --> need 3D lut processor to do so.
Now, is there a chance to the Oppo player (with the help of the HDFury linker) to remap the BT2020 to regular Rec709 CS (still without HDR) and keep the benefit of the UHD disk native 3840x2160 resolution ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang
The 1000 is not hdr capable
Sure, I know this. That's why I use the HDFury linker to remove the HDR metadata from the HDMI flux out of the Oppo player.

John

Home theater enthusiast for over 20 years !
My dedicated HT room !

post #14194 of 14203 Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHWman View Post
Thanks Dirk44,
The Lumagen Radiance Pro is too expensive to buy for my need... I think I better wait for the new VPL-VW1200 next year ... What suprized me is: even the current VPL-VW1100ES can't afford this UHD compliancy (even without HDR) ...

For me the new VW 1200 is too expensive, so i will move the vw 1100 close to the screen , change the lamp and buy a pro to get finally 3 set ups 709/2020/ HDR 2020. A least -if the Vw 1100 is to dark- the WGC of 2020.

OK, I see that calibrating the 1000/1100 with DCI color is not enough to re-map the BT2020 of the UHD bluray on projector DCI mode --> need 3D lut processor to do so.
Now, is there a chance to the Oppo player (with the help of the HDFury linker) to remap the BT2020 to regular Rec709 CS (still without HDR) and keep the benefit of the UHD disk native 3840x2160 resolution ?
Sure, I know this. That's why I use the HDFury linker to remove the HDR metadata from the HDMI flux out of the Oppo player.

John
Again: removing the HDR Flag will not solve the problem, because you get wrong colors, i have done this mounths ago the Fury and the Pana.
You can correct only by calibrate the VW 1100, you need the pro to recreate the correct 3 LUT and so one, by leaving the pro in chain any time. Only my poor understanding.

I 'm to dump at all for this, thats why the pro for me isnt useful without a calibrater to get the right result !
post #14195 of 14203 Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 26
New Sony UBP-X800 4K BluRay with 1100?

I've been following the thread on the newly announced, and available next week, Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray player. I don't know how many 1100 owners still follow this thread but I'm wondering if any of you are planning to buy this player. I currently use the Samsung UBD-8500 and it works fine for most things but doesn't really do HDR to SDR conversion so some UHD Blu-Rays work OK while others have somewhat screwed up color mapping. Supposedly the Sony Blu-Ray has HDR to SDR color mapping but how it really works hasn't been disclosed by Sony yet. That is one of the things being hotly debated on the X800 thread.

I'm thinking that since it is a sony SDR projector and a Sony HDR to SDR conversion device, they should play well together... But assumptions... Well you know
TheSony4KRises likes this.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Dolby Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Sony FMP-X10 4K Media Server, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray, and Roku Ultra 4K Broadband
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-890 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #14196 of 14203 Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
I've been following the thread on the newly announced, and available next week, Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray player. I don't know how many 1100 owners still follow this thread but I'm wondering if any of you are planning to buy this player. I currently use the Samsung UBD-8500 and it works fine for most things but doesn't really do HDR to SDR conversion so some UHD Blu-Rays work OK while others have somewhat screwed up color mapping. Supposedly the Sony Blu-Ray has HDR to SDR color mapping but how it really works hasn't been disclosed by Sony yet. That is one of the things being hotly debated on the X800 thread.

I'm thinking that since it is a sony SDR projector and a Sony HDR to SDR conversion device, they should play well together... But assumptions... Well you know
I will probably get this player.
I have the OPPO 203 at the moment(along with a HD Fury:- to enable the 1000es to display 4K stuff).

Might splash out on the Lumagen Pro for the correct color mapping but will give this Sony 4K Blu ray player a try first.
To be honest I am already satisfied with "just 4K".

The "baked in" look that I have seen on certain LG OLEDs and Samsung UHD flat panels (regarding HDR)has not endeared me in the slightest.

I saw a HDR demo of Star Trek Beyond on an LG 65 incher OLED and it was terrible.

So I am not missing that stuff in the slightest on the 1000es(or in the PJ world in general)
post #14197 of 14203 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
I have the OPPO 203 at the moment(along with a HD Fury:- to enable the 1000es to display 4K stuff).

Might splash out on the Lumagen Pro for the correct color mapping but will give this Sony 4K Blu ray player a try first.

The "baked in" look that I have seen on certain LG OLEDs and Samsung UHD flat panels (regarding HDR)has not endeared me in the slightest.

I saw a HDR demo of Star Trek Beyond on an LG 65 incher OLED and it was terrible.

So I am not missing that stuff in the slightest on the 1000es(or in the PJ world in general)
I'm absolutely with you on the HDR stuff. Everything I have seen I don't like. I guess it just doesn't match my viewing preference and I just don't see the need for it in a light controlled home theater. I can't imagine needing more contrast than I have with the 1100.

I have been holding off on the Oppo in order to see if the new Sony HDR to SDR might be a better fit for the 1100. I don't need all the "file" capabilities of the Oppo and the HDR to SDR capability is really the only reason I would consider it over the Samsung I currently have.
TheSony4KRises likes this.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Dolby Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Sony FMP-X10 4K Media Server, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray, and Roku Ultra 4K Broadband
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-890 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #14198 of 14203 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3095 Post(s)
Liked: 3022
Quote:

HDR does look outstanding on the new JVC RS4500 - it's the first projector that I've owned that I can say that. And I must say that every 4K / HDR TV demo I've seen at Cedia or CES look totally over cooked to me. Not so on my RS4500.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #14199 of 14203 Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
HDR does look outstanding on the new JVC RS4500 - it's the first projector that I've owned that I can say that. And I must say that every 4K / HDR TV demo I've seen at Cedia or CES look totally over cooked to me. Not so on my RS4500.
Of course personal preferences come into play so I would not want to deny anybody who has an affinity for the "baked" look of HDR(as presented on flat panels)......enjoying said features.

The JVC Z1 is a wonderful PJ which I would dearly love to own.
If I had not purchased the 1000es all those years back......maybe I would have been able to afford the Z1 now
post #14200 of 14203 Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I'm absolutely with you on the HDR stuff. Everything I have seen I don't like. I guess it just doesn't match my viewing preference and I just don't see the need for it in a light controlled home theater. I can't imagine needing more contrast than I have with the 1100.

I have been holding off on the Oppo in order to see if the new Sony HDR to SDR might be a better fit for the 1100. I don't need all the "file" capabilities of the Oppo and the HDR to SDR capability is really the only reason I would consider it over the Samsung I currently have.

Film restorationist Robert Harris(Lawrence Of Arabia ,Vertigo,The Godfather) is already on record saying that HDR will not fit the catalogue stuff(which still comprises the majority of flicks).

If you want to watch shallow contemporary slosh like San Andreas or even Oblivion in cleanly scrubbed digital UHD that's all well and good.....but a **** flick ...is a **** flick....... no matter how good it looks
post #14201 of 14203 Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3095 Post(s)
Liked: 3022
Quote:

Film restorationist Robert Harris(Lawrence Of Arabia ,Vertigo,The Godfather) is already on record saying that HDR will not fit the catalogue stuff(which still comprises the majority of flicks).

If you want to watch shallow contemporary slosh like San Andreas or even Oblivion in cleanly scrubbed digital UHD that's all well and good.....but a **** flick ...is a **** flick....... no matter how good it looks
Having watched " Sully " on 4K UHD BR twice, I'm still trying to see exactly where HDR is needed with that movie either. So they could remaster classics in 4K, just stick an " HDR " sticker on the case, and call it good. I'll take the cleaner, restored picture with better detail. Same with " Ben Hur ", although the burning bush in " The 10 Commandments " might look better in HDR.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #14202 of 14203 Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Quote:

Early reports from the first few users of the new Sony UBP-X800 4K player are that the HDR to SDR translation outputs BT.709 rather than BT2020. That is good news for us, since the 1100 doesn't support the BT2020 color space. Also, it appears that there is an "original" output resolution option which will play UHD discs at 4K but when HD discs are played it will output 1080p to the display device. This will allow the 1100 to do the upscaling rather than the $300 player. On my Samsung 8500 I am constantly having the change the output resolution setting when switching from UHD discs to HD discs to keep the player from doing the upscaling.

Regards, Steve
post #14203 of 14203 Old Today, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Early reports from the first few users of the new Sony UBP-X800 4K player are that the HDR to SDR translation outputs BT.709 rather than BT2020. That is good news for us, since the 1100 doesn't support the BT2020 color space.
Maybe Oppo can do the same with their UDP-203 HDR option in video settings menu That would be great for us (Owners of 1000/1100 PJs). I also agree with you that having the ability to keep the UHD player staying in 1080p output for regular Bluray discs is a must for us (keeping Reality Creation really good upscaling job in the projector).

On the Colospace subject, I tried to calibrate one Sammy UE49KS7500U in UHD mode with my C6 HDR probe and discovered that the colorspace delivered by this TV is only 66% of the Rec2020 CS --> So almost the same CS range that our 1000/1100ES PJ are delivering with their DCI Colorspace ...

John

Home theater enthusiast for over 20 years !
My dedicated HT room !

Last edited by JohnHWman; Today at 05:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page