Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 475 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1323Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #14221 of 14247 Old 03-17-2017, 10:43 AM
Member
 
jcastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Charleston, WV USA
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecossecableman View Post
. Anyone
Dont think so. i've not been able to get 4k60 on the VW1000, even with Fury at 4.2.0 8 bit.
jcastle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14222 of 14247 Old 03-19-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Reality Creation

What values do you use for RC parameters - Resolution and Noise Filtering - on the VPL-VW1100ES when watching Blu-ray films at 1080/24p?
Michael9009 is online now  
post #14223 of 14247 Old 04-12-2017, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Anyone, please?....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
What values do you use for RC parameters - Resolution and Noise Filtering - on the VPL-VW1100ES when watching Blu-ray films at 1080/24p?
Michael9009 is online now  
 
post #14224 of 14247 Old 04-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Senior Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
What values do you use for RC parameters - Resolution and Noise Filtering - on the VPL-VW1100ES when watching Blu-ray films at 1080/24p?
My preferences have alternated between Reference Mode,Cinema 1 Mode and Digital Cinema over the last 4-5 years.
I make no adjustments to either Resolution or Noise Filtering in any of these modes.I leave them at their default settings.

But the modes depend on the content being watched.
For older films with higher grain densities I prefer to use Cinema 1 or Digital Cinema.
For newer flicks with pristine images that are grain free(but still contain some digital noise!) I prefer to use Reference Mode.
If the posterization (in reference mode) becomes prevalent then I switch back to Cinema 1(or Digital Cinema Mode).

I once did try setting Noise Reduction to High (or Medium)in Reference mode but the image became "unnaturally" smooth.

Last edited by TheSony4KRises; 04-13-2017 at 12:24 PM.
TheSony4KRises is online now  
post #14225 of 14247 Old 04-13-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,513
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
Anyone, please?....





Resolution : 2 ( just sharpnens the Picture a little, without adding any ringing or other strange Things to the Picture )
Noise: 0






dj
d.j. is offline  
post #14226 of 14247 Old 04-13-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,513
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I just changed lamp in my 1100 after 2501 hours ! ( Sony promise UP to 2500 hours in eco mode, which I use ) cant complain about that , actully Im impressed
( it still did work fine, but the projector started display" change the lamp" at 2495 hours, and I didnt want it to explode )


With a new lamp ( 5 hour ) I measure in high mode / iris off / clip at 235 / 280 cm wide / 126" dia 16:9 - about 275 lux / 25 Fc ( with 93" - 456 lux / 42 Fc )
the old with 2501 hours on: - about 225 lux / 20 Fc ( with 93" - 370 lux / 34 Fc )


So over the hole life spand of the lamp, I only lost about 18 - 19% light output ! sounds very good, but a litte strange it not has lost more !? ( both lamps are orginal lamps bought from Sony ), but maybe the first lamp was a "better" one from start - I didnt measure it at new or cant remember it - think, I slight remember measure something over 500 lux in the 93" size at that time , but im not sure ).
TheSony4KRises likes this.
d.j. is offline  
post #14227 of 14247 Old 04-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Senior Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post
Resolution : 2 ( just sharpnens the Picture a little, without adding any ringing or other strange Things to the Picture )
Noise: 0

dj
Agreed.

Reference Mode is less conducive to any sharpening in my opinion though.
In Cinema 1 or Digital Cinema Mode you can increase the Resolution by a click or two without any unwanted artifacts creeping in.
TheSony4KRises is online now  
post #14228 of 14247 Old 04-22-2017, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Thanks. That's what I use, too. I thought maybe it's me but anything above 2 for the resolution seems too aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post
Resolution : 2 ( just sharpnens the Picture a little, without adding any ringing or other strange Things to the Picture )
Noise: 0






dj
Michael9009 is online now  
post #14229 of 14247 Old 04-22-2017, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Wow, that's nice. Was there a very noticeable / visible difference (i.e. much brighter image) after you switched the lamp?

Did you use the old lamp on High or on Low? Mine is approaching 1,000 hours exclusively on Low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post
I just changed lamp in my 1100 after 2501 hours ! ( Sony promise UP to 2500 hours in eco mode, which I use ) cant complain about that , actully Im impressed
( it still did work fine, but the projector started display" change the lamp" at 2495 hours, and I didnt want it to explode )


With a new lamp ( 5 hour ) I measure in high mode / iris off / clip at 235 / 280 cm wide / 126" dia 16:9 - about 275 lux / 25 Fc ( with 93" - 456 lux / 42 Fc )
the old with 2501 hours on: - about 225 lux / 20 Fc ( with 93" - 370 lux / 34 Fc )


So over the hole life spand of the lamp, I only lost about 18 - 19% light output ! sounds very good, but a litte strange it not has lost more !? ( both lamps are orginal lamps bought from Sony ), but maybe the first lamp was a "better" one from start - I didnt measure it at new or cant remember it - think, I slight remember measure something over 500 lux in the 93" size at that time , but im not sure ).
Michael9009 is online now  
post #14230 of 14247 Old 04-23-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,513
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
Wow, that's nice. Was there a very noticeable / visible difference (i.e. much brighter image) after you switched the lamp?

Did you use the old lamp on High or on Low? Mine is approaching 1,000 hours exclusively on Low.

Low.
And after the change, the image was visible brigther, but not "very"


If I hadnt been afraid for the lamp should eventuel explode, I would just have keep going on with the old lamp - I didnt change it, because off to dim a Picture - only to be safe


Wit a Little luck, you will have over the double hours to go with your lamp - it nice that it can make light output enought for a Picture at 126" dia in low mode - how big are yours ?
d.j. is offline  
post #14231 of 14247 Old 04-23-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Nice. I thought the specs called for 2,500-3,000 hours in High mode, but I've never seen these published officially by Sony. And I might be wrong. The life of a lamp is assumed to have ended when the light output reaches 50%, so your lamp should still have pretty much life remaining. Cases of lamps exploding are extrememly rare.

I project on a 133 inch diagonal 16:9 screen. It's a Da-Lite Tensioned Contour Electrol HD Progressive 1.3 screen.

Are now using the new lamp, or are you back to the old one? Some people use a new lamp over its 90-day warranty period, then revert to the old lamp and keep the new lamp as spare / backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post
Low.
And after the change, the image was visible brigther, but not "very"


If I hadnt been afraid for the lamp should eventuel explode, I would just have keep going on with the old lamp - I didnt change it, because off to dim a Picture - only to be safe


Wit a Little luck, you will have over the double hours to go with your lamp - it nice that it can make light output enought for a Picture at 126" dia in low mode - how big are yours ?

Last edited by Michael9009; 04-23-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Michael9009 is online now  
post #14232 of 14247 Old 06-19-2017, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
 
SLYDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Sony 4K BluRay UBP-X800 or UBP-X1000ES with VPL-VW1100??

Anybody Using Sony 4K BluRay UBP-X800 or UBP-X1000ES in 4K mode with your 1100? I'm currently using the Samsung 8500 4K BluRay but want to switch to the Sony for the better HDR to SDR conversion (since the 1100 doesn't support HDR). I know that the menus on both of these units are in 60FPS which can be problematic for the 1100. I had issues with the newest Roku 4K unit because of the 60FPS and want to make sure that the new Sony 4K BluRay players play well with the 1100.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Dolby Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Sony FMP-X10 4K Media Server, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray, and Roku Ultra 4K Broadband
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-890 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
SLYDoggie is online now  
post #14233 of 14247 Old 06-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Senior Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
Anybody Using Sony 4K BluRay UBP-X800 or UBP-X1000ES in 4K mode with your 1100? I'm currently using the Samsung 8500 4K BluRay but want to switch to the Sony for the better HDR to SDR conversion (since the 1100 doesn't support HDR). I know that the menus on both of these units are in 60FPS which can be problematic for the 1100. I had issues with the newest Roku 4K unit because of the 60FPS and want to make sure that the new Sony 4K BluRay players play well with the 1100.


Try P.Ming this chap:

Rodolfo La Maestra:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...a-maestra.html

He has an excellent blog documenting his experience with the 1000/1100es:
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...de-program.php

On a personal level, the HDR that I have seen in person on several OLEDs(LG,Sony & Panasonic), has convinced me that it is nothing more than an over inflated buzzword and I don't miss it in the slightest on my 1000es(or it's lack of proper implementation in the projector world in general)


Posterization, color banding, exacerbated artifacts are the things that I have noticed with HDR activated.
And that is on supposedly demo worthy material.

I sincerely hope that the studios keep that sack of s**t off the catalogue titles as they slowly roll out on UHD
roxiedog13 likes this.
TheSony4KRises is online now  
post #14234 of 14247 Old 06-20-2017, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
SLYDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
Try P.Ming this chap:

Rodolfo La Maestra:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...a-maestra.html

He has an excellent blog documenting his experience with the 1000/1100es:
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...de-program.php

On a personal level, the HDR that I have seen in person on several OLEDs(LG,Sony & Panasonic), has convinced me that it is nothing more than an over inflated buzzword and I don't miss it in the slightest on my 1000es(or it's lack of proper implementation in the projector world in general)


Posterization, color banding, exacerbated artifacts are the things that I have noticed with HDR activated.
And that is on supposedly demo worthy material.

I sincerely hope that the studios keep that sack of s**t off the catalogue titles as they slowly roll out on UHD
Thanks for the info.

You and I have pretty much the same opinion of HDR. In pretty much every comparison I have seen "with" and "without" HDR, I almost always prefer the "without" picture. I also think it is less important with projectors in Home Theaters than it is with TVs in bright areas... Especially the 1100.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Dolby Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Sony FMP-X10 4K Media Server, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray, and Roku Ultra 4K Broadband
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-890 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
SLYDoggie is online now  
post #14235 of 14247 Old 06-20-2017, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I would be very interested to find the answer to this question as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
Anybody Using Sony 4K BluRay UBP-X800 or UBP-X1000ES in 4K mode with your 1100? I'm currently using the Samsung 8500 4K BluRay but want to switch to the Sony for the better HDR to SDR conversion (since the 1100 doesn't support HDR). I know that the menus on both of these units are in 60FPS which can be problematic for the 1100. I had issues with the newest Roku 4K unit because of the 60FPS and want to make sure that the new Sony 4K BluRay players play well with the 1100.
Michael9009 is online now  
post #14236 of 14247 Old 06-20-2017, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 79
In my opinion, especially for projectors, HDR = 3D = Marketing gimmick.

Regarding HDR, sudden transitions from dark scenes to bright scenes on my VPL-VW1100ES make me squint, so I don't need additional eyesore due to even higher levels of brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
On a personal level, the HDR that I have seen in person on several OLEDs(LG,Sony & Panasonic), has convinced me that it is nothing more than an over inflated buzzword and I don't miss it in the slightest on my 1000es(or it's lack of proper implementation in the projector world in general)

Posterization, color banding, exacerbated artifacts are the things that I have noticed with HDR activated.
And that is on supposedly demo worthy material.

I sincerely hope that the studios keep that sack of s**t off the catalogue titles as they slowly roll out on UHD
Michael9009 is online now  
post #14237 of 14247 Old 06-21-2017, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
Try P.Ming this chap:

Rodolfo La Maestra:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...a-maestra.html

He has an excellent blog documenting his experience with the 1000/1100es:
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...de-program.php

On a personal level, the HDR that I have seen in person on several OLEDs(LG,Sony & Panasonic), has convinced me that it is nothing more than an over inflated buzzword and I don't miss it in the slightest on my 1000es(or it's lack of proper implementation in the projector world in general)


Posterization, color banding, exacerbated artifacts are the things that I have noticed with HDR activated.
And that is on supposedly demo worthy material.

I sincerely hope that the studios keep that sack of s**t off the catalogue titles as they slowly roll out on UHD
Watched John Wick HDR last night, had to stop the movie and turn off HDR. Cartoonish colors ,overblown bright scenes, too dark and loss of detail . Switching to SDR Rec2020 much better . Not all movies are necessarily bad with HDR some I would consider on par with SDR but none of these are a revelation for sure .

My take on this :

HDR increases the luminance in specific areas, it does not increase the brightness of the movie overall . When our eyes are flashed with these intense bright scenes we experience flash blindness . Theaters are dark rooms , therefore our pupils are wide open , so the effect of flash blindness more severe . This is why the image overall appears dim and muted compared to the non HDR versions. Sure , any one of these scenes look more intense when you take a static picture of it look at it later. In the theater our eyes have compensated for this and we now are viewing a muted representation of the movie.

Flash blindness is caused by bleaching (oversaturation) of the retinal pigment. As the pigment returns to normal, so too does sight. In daylight the eye's pupil constricts, thus reducing the amount of light entering after a flash. At night, the dark-adapted pupil is wide open so flash blindness has a greater effect and lasts longer.

Contrary to popular belief, the purpose of HDR (high dynamic range) mastering is to expand the available luminance range rather than elevate the overall brightness of HDR videos. High-end display calibration software maker Light Illusion has published this exact quote from SMPTE’s ST.2084:2014 standard “High Dynamic Range Electro-Optical Transfer Function of Mastering Reference Displays” on its website:
This EOTF (ST2084) is intended to enable the creation of video images with an increased luminance range; not for creation of video images with overall higher luminance levels. For consistency of presentation across devices with different output brightness, average picture levels in content would likely remain similar to current luminance levels; i.e. mid-range scene exposures would produce currently expected luminance levels appropriate to video or cinema.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 675ESB , Panamorph Paladin Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 132" diagonal curved 36FT radius, Anthem 1120 AVR , 7.2.4 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203
Lumagen Pro 4440 , Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts, Monitor 3 Center, Monitor V7 Rear, SA-ADP In-wall Surround, Niles DS-7 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: Klipsch RW-12 + SVS PC13-Ultra
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #14238 of 14247 Old 06-21-2017, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
In my opinion, especially for projectors, HDR = 3D = Marketing gimmick.

Regarding HDR, sudden transitions from dark scenes to bright scenes on my VPL-VW1100ES make me squint, so I don't need additional eyesore due to even higher levels of brightness.
I'll agree that HDR is not up to par at present, not for 3D however. 3D provides a spatial awareness that 2D no matter how good can reproduce. Problem with 3D first and foremost doing it right .
It cannot be done on a small TV panel nor in a non theater room environment to create the desired effect . Poorly done movies, wrong use of technology, uncomfortable glasses and inability to see
3D for some are also factors. Done right, 3D is amazing, done wrong, it's the opposite. Problem is most experience 3D done wrong and think that is it . 3D done properly is amazing , getting it right
takes some effort . Humans see the world stereoscopically, movies done in 3D is the only way to reproduce this experience .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 675ESB , Panamorph Paladin Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 132" diagonal curved 36FT radius, Anthem 1120 AVR , 7.2.4 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203
Lumagen Pro 4440 , Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts, Monitor 3 Center, Monitor V7 Rear, SA-ADP In-wall Surround, Niles DS-7 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: Klipsch RW-12 + SVS PC13-Ultra
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #14239 of 14247 Old 06-21-2017, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 79
3D will never be done "properly" as long as glasses are required. Newer TVs (2017) have dropped 3D altogether due to poor public interest. I can only wear the heavy and uncomfortable Sony 3D glasses which came with my VPL-VW1100ES projector for up to 30 minutes before my nose starts hurting. There is also some ghosting present. Now, with HDR, our eyes will start hurting, too. No thanks, for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I'll agree that HDR is not up to par at present, not for 3D however. 3D provides a spatial awareness that 2D no matter how good can reproduce. Problem with 3D first and foremost doing it right .
It cannot be done on a small TV panel nor in a non theater room environment to create the desired effect . Poorly done movies, wrong use of technology, uncomfortable glasses and inability to see
3D for some are also factors. Done right, 3D is amazing, done wrong, it's the opposite. Problem is most experience 3D done wrong and think that is it . 3D done properly is amazing , getting it right
takes some effort . Humans see the world stereoscopically, movies done in 3D is the only way to reproduce this experience .
Michael9009 is online now  
post #14240 of 14247 Old 06-21-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
3D will never be done "properly" as long as glasses are required. Newer TVs (2017) have dropped 3D altogether due to poor public interest. I can only wear the heavy and uncomfortable Sony 3D glasses which came with my VPL-VW1100ES projector for up to 30 minutes before my nose starts hurting. There is also some ghosting present. Now, with HDR, our eyes will start hurting, too. No thanks, for me.
65% of people wear glasses anyway, the ones that have a harder time with glasses are not use to having them on. I personally do not wear prescription glasses but I do wear sun glasses every day, so having something on my eyes is not foreign to me ,and doesn't bother me to distraction. Hard plastic glasses that do not fit properly also bother me and most on the cheap buy on price . Those with gel nose pieces are more comfortable and they are on many of the descent glasses out there.

I see little ghosting on my VW675 much improved over many earlier projectors. Some movies are also transferred to 3D poorly and does not work. Rogue One that I just watched was not a good transfer, I saw more ghosting on this movie then on any other, even then it was not terrible, the 3D was incredible. I personally see artifacts of different kinds occasionally in 2D on most movies anyway, not enough to take me out entirely.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 675ESB , Panamorph Paladin Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 132" diagonal curved 36FT radius, Anthem 1120 AVR , 7.2.4 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203
Lumagen Pro 4440 , Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts, Monitor 3 Center, Monitor V7 Rear, SA-ADP In-wall Surround, Niles DS-7 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: Klipsch RW-12 + SVS PC13-Ultra
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #14241 of 14247 Old 06-21-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,919
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
3D will never be done "properly" as long as glasses are required. Newer TVs (2017) have dropped 3D altogether due to poor public interest. I can only wear the heavy and uncomfortable Sony 3D glasses which came with my VPL-VW1100ES projector for up to 30 minutes before my nose starts hurting. There is also some ghosting present. Now, with HDR, our eyes will start hurting, too. No thanks, for me.
Fine, but then sell your glasses and move along please. Nobody is forcing you to use the 3D feature that added no cost to a 25K projector. We already lost 3D on TVs, lets leave it be on projectors as much as possible.

Matt
turls is offline  
post #14242 of 14247 Old 06-21-2017, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I've worn prescription glasses since I was a kid. I have no problems with them but the 3D IR-controlled glasses that came with the VPL-VW1100ES are heavy and cumbersome. Even some of my visitors complained and we had to stop the 3D movie midway.

The 3D LCD technology for glasses is much better now but is still far from being at par with the polarized lens technology.

As long as 3D glasses have to be worn, the technology will not catch up, I think. This is the third historic (failed) iteration. It may be okay to put 3D glasses on in a dark room (as used for front projection) but it is cumbersome when watching TV in a brighter environment.

Had Sony put more effort in designing more comfortable 3D glasses for the VPL-VW1100ES, it would have offered a more pleasant experience. Currently, it is not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
65% of people wear glasses anyway, the ones that have a harder time with glasses are not use to having them on. I personally do not wear prescription glasses but I do wear sun glasses every day, so having something on my eyes is not foreign to me ,and doesn't bother me to distraction. Hard plastic glasses that do not fit properly also bother me and most on the cheap buy on price . Those with gel nose pieces are more comfortable and they are on many of the descent glasses out there.

I see little ghosting on my VW675 much improved over many earlier projectors. Some movies are also transferred to 3D poorly and does not work. Rogue One that I just watched was not a good transfer, I saw more ghosting on this movie then on any other, even then it was not terrible, the 3D was incredible. I personally see artifacts of different kinds occasionally in 2D on most movies anyway, not enough to take me out entirely.
Michael9009 is online now  
post #14243 of 14247 Old 06-21-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,810
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3263 Post(s)
Liked: 3336
The IR Sony 3D glasses are terrible. heavy and poorly designed. We did not like them either when I had the VW1100.

I found the RJ45 Sony adapter -> 3PIN VESA and connected it to the Xpand RF transmitter. now it was compatible with the much more comfortable Xpand 105 RF glasses.


roxiedog13 likes this.
zombie10k is offline  
post #14244 of 14247 Old 06-22-2017, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The IR Sony 3D glasses are terrible. heavy and poorly designed. We did not like them either when I had the VW1100.

I found the RJ45 Sony adapter -> 3PIN VESA and connected it to the Xpand RF transmitter. now it was compatible with the much more comfortable Xpand 105 RF glasses.


Nothing more irritating than poor fitting glasses that are heavy and designed with uncomfortable nose supports. I'm required to wear safety glasses at work often. When I wear the cheaper generic vending machine glasses I know they are there 10 minutes in if not immediately. The better designed glasses or customs that I normally wear I can go all day. Still prefer to not have them on but at least the discomfort is minimal with good gear.

Glasses free 3D will be welcome if and when that happens. For now I'd prefer generously designed 3D glasses that are super comfortable light weight and I have no problem paying additional for that, well worth it .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 675ESB , Panamorph Paladin Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 132" diagonal curved 36FT radius, Anthem 1120 AVR , 7.2.4 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203
Lumagen Pro 4440 , Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts, Monitor 3 Center, Monitor V7 Rear, SA-ADP In-wall Surround, Niles DS-7 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: Klipsch RW-12 + SVS PC13-Ultra
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #14245 of 14247 Old 06-22-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 79
So all one has to do is to plug in the cable adaptor into the LAN connector of the projector and the Xpand RF transmitter at the other end, and the new glasses would simply just work? Is it that simple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The IR Sony 3D glasses are terrible. heavy and poorly designed. We did not like them either when I had the VW1100.

I found the RJ45 Sony adapter -> 3PIN VESA and connected it to the Xpand RF transmitter. now it was compatible with the much more comfortable Xpand 105 RF glasses.


Michael9009 is online now  
post #14246 of 14247 Old 06-22-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,810
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3263 Post(s)
Liked: 3336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
So all one has to do is to plug in the cable adaptor into the LAN connector of the projector and the Xpand RF transmitter at the other end, and the new glasses would simply just work? Is it that simple?
The cable plugs into the 3D port, it looks just like an RJ45 connector thought. Yes it will work 100% perfect with the Sony adapter and this kit here:

Cable from Sony:

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...84805211.aspx#


RF transmitter + Xpand 105 RF glasses kit:

https://www.amazon.com/EX105BT-Shutt.../dp/B009ZW7SR2

it says Mitsubishi but that was just a branding for this kit, they work perfect with JVC/Sony/Epson. Very good price for only $40 and include the transmitter and 1 pair of glasses as shown above.

for relatively inexpensive cost, you can relieve yourself from the torture devices known as the Sony IR glasses.
zombie10k is offline  
post #14247 of 14247 Unread Today, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Thank you so much for the explanation and details.

On the Xpand website it appears that 3D glasses could also be ordered in IR version. Would they not work directly with the 1100ES projector?

http://xpandvision.com/products/xpan...es-lite-ir-rf/

Also, how do these Sony RF glasses compare with the Xpand X105 glasses (quality and comfort):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-bat...?skuId=5641331 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The cable plugs into the 3D port, it looks just like an RJ45 connector thought. Yes it will work 100% perfect with the Sony adapter and this kit here:

Cable from Sony:

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...84805211.aspx#


RF transmitter + Xpand 105 RF glasses kit:

https://www.amazon.com/EX105BT-Shutt.../dp/B009ZW7SR2

it says Mitsubishi but that was just a branding for this kit, they work perfect with JVC/Sony/Epson. Very good price for only $40 and include the transmitter and 1 pair of glasses as shown above.

for relatively inexpensive cost, you can relieve yourself from the torture devices known as the Sony IR glasses.
Michael9009 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off