I am trying to understand the "improvement" with the new Sony 885 laser projector:
1. 885 is only 2000 lumens, same as 1100es
2. 18 gbps Vs 10.2 gbps - I don't know how much it would show in the picture. Perhaps a lot?
3. 885 might have HDR but given the 2000 lumens and that my screen is 150" wide, I am assuming that I would not notice the improvement by HDR.
4. Another forum member who upgraded from 1100es emailed me that there was very little difference between his old 1100es as compared to his new Sony 5000. He and his wife viewed both projectors, same room and same screen.. his wife didn't even realize there was a difference.. he said the 1100es had as good of a picture, except that the 5000 was much brighter.. It sounded to me that the 1100es was "almost" as good as the 5000, except for the brightness factor.. Worth the huge premium? perhaps, not for me, but for those in a higher budget bracket.
5. The contrast degradation is an issue for 1100es - are you, the users, noticing it?
I don't really care about laser. Replacement lamps are not that expensive for 1100es. I would not keep the projector long enough to use it for more than 5000 to 7000 hours! Technology is moving too fast, to keep it longer.
Over all, I am thinking that a used 1100es would be a great value, as compared to buying a new 885 laser. Unfortunately, I don't see them on the used market yet.. I would guess they would start showing up, used, once the 885's volume increases.
Last edited by audvid; 09-09-2017 at 08:04 AM.