post #1411 of 10403 Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I purchased mine within the last two weeks. Maybe yours need a firmware update. Worth a try anyway.

I had the latest firmware, but reapplied with no change.

But I have gotten it mostly corrected. It seems the default settings after the reset didn't work correctly, or the default is not compatible with my 1000/High Power combination. Using the Monster Software, I dialed the duty cycle to 100, and the delay to 20, and nearly all the problems vanished.

I am noticing though that the Monsters are more sensitive to head tilt in introducing ghosting in my setup - If it turn my head left or right, to tilt it up, ghosting appears more readily. This was something I noted with the 95 as well, but to a much lesser extent.

Fortunately, and ironically, the Sony glasses are more rock solid in this regard - I can tilt my head up, down, left, right, and very little if any ghosting is introduced. So this is weird to me, as its the same projector and same screen for both glasses...

The Monsters are still a tad brighter, and have a bit more color neutrality still though.

I'll have to play more tomorrow, but I tried a ton of different duty and delay cycle settings - many introduce posterization or lower brightness/banding - never saw that with the 95.

So there seems to be something weird with the 1000/High Power/Monster glasses.

I think Optoma may have a later firmware upgrade that what's on Monsters site, so I'll look for that.

Monster's site has changed, and the cool product page for the glasses seems to be gone, and its not even listed on their home page - just their online store i think...seems to be de-emphasized at the least...

Edit: no later optoma firmware that I can find...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 10403 Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i join the clube becouse of joerod
post #1413 of 10403 Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Well.....just set it up in a temporary location next to my Panasonic ae3000. I don't even think I can describe the results other than

post #1414 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I had the latest firmware, but reapplied with no change.

But I have gotten it mostly corrected. It seems the default settings after the reset didn't work correctly, or the default is not compatible with my 1000/High Power combination. Using the Monster Software, I dialed the duty cycle to 100, and the delay to 20, and nearly all the problems vanished.

I am noticing though that the Monsters are more sensitive to head tilt in introducing ghosting in my setup - If it turn my head left or right, to tilt it up, ghosting appears more readily. This was something I noted with the 95 as well, but to a much lesser extent.

Fortunately, and ironically, the Sony glasses are more rock solid in this regard - I can tilt my head up, down, left, right, and very little if any ghosting is introduced. So this is weird to me, as its the same projector and same screen for both glasses...

The Monsters are still a tad brighter, and have a bit more color neutrality still though.

I'll have to play more tomorrow, but I tried a ton of different duty and delay cycle settings - many introduce posterization or lower brightness/banding - never saw that with the 95.

So there seems to be something weird with the 1000/High Power/Monster glasses.

I think Optoma may have a later firmware upgrade that what's on Monsters site, so I'll look for that.

Monster's site has changed, and the cool product page for the glasses seems to be gone, and its not even listed on their home page - just their online store i think...seems to be de-emphasized at the least...

Edit: no later optoma firmware that I can find...

Gee I'm surprised with those issues experienced with the Monsters. I've been rubbishing the X104s poor product support, however they worked better and look nicer than Sonys right from the start. I'm still boycotting the use of their tuning app thanks to the mandatory product reg nonsense and the fact I can't see it doing anything addition in my case. Hopefully you get to the bottom of the issue. Obv joerod isn't having any probs in his setup with the MV3Ds given his also v. pos reports.

post #1415 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Gee I'm surprised with those issues experienced with the Monsters. I've been rubbishing the X104s poor product support, however they worked better and look nicer than Sonys right from the start. I'm still boycotting the use of their tuning app thanks to the mandatory product reg nonsense and the fact I can't see it doing anything addition in my case. Hopefully you get to the bottom of the issue. Obv joerod isn't having any probs in his setup with the MV3Ds given his also v. pos reports.

At the moment, I'm assuming it's some anomaly with the retro- reflective nature of the high power and the 1000, or a delay /duty cycle setting I've yet to stumble upon.
post #1416 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

At the moment, I'm assuming it's some anomaly with the retro- reflective nature of the high power and the 1000, or a delay /duty cycle setting I've yet to stumble upon.

I have the same issue with my Vutec Silver star. If I tilt my head the colors shift jumps in. Even with the Sony's though not as extreme. Now when I use the Electric Matte White 1.4 screen it is smooth sailing the entire time. This screen was only 250.00 and for 3D I just can't be more than happy with it. I love having it drop down to cover my main screen for 3D. Then hitting picture position on the 1000 makes it too easy!

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #1417 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have the same issue with my Vutec Silver star. If I tilt my head the colors shift jumps in. Even with the Sony's though not as extreme. Now when I use the Electric Matte White 1.4 screen it is smooth sailing the entire time. This screen was only 250.00 and for 3D I just can't be more than happy with it. I love having it drop down to cover my main screen for 3D. Then hitting picture position on the 1000 makes it too easy!

What perplexing to me is the Sony glasses really have no issues now (other than a tiny less neutral tint compared to the Monsters), and with the same screen and projector, the Monsters have become more finicky.

When I have the Monster's dialed in as best as possible (as of today, anyway), I don't get any color/brightness shifts, but I do see more ghosting when tilting my head...

It may be for my setup, the Sony glasses are best...
post #1418 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I know, useless to do a full calibration so early into a new project (5 hours?!)

But I did one anyway with Chromapure and a Lumagen Mini 3d (though I did not bother to tweak gamma yet, either for flat 2.2, or using Ric's rising gamma technique)

I will post the results shortly...

Pretty impressive...
post #1419 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

The settings were:

Cinema 2
IRIS off
Low Lamp
Custom 3 - Gains and bias adjusted at 100 and 20% in the 1000
RC off
Color 50
Sharpness 10
Brightness 53
Contrast Max
(Brightness and Contrast set with the AVS disc)
Rec 709
Black Level Adj. Off
Smoothing Off

Off screen measurement (Da Lite High Power 2.8 gain)
DIII Pro Meter

Advanced Color Management report in following post...
post #1420 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Advanced Color Management

post #1421 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

While I'm finding the 1000 incredible, I do think I will need an exchange...

In actual content, is occasionally appears as a lightening in the banded area, not posterized like this iPhone capture shows

Bummer
post #1422 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

We really do need to start a new Calibration/setting thread. Seriously.

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

post #1423 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

we really do need to start a new calibration/setting thread. Seriously.

+1

post #1424 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

+1

Yes!

post #1425 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Should I delete these posts if they are not appropriate here?
post #1426 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

They're appropriate. I'm interested on what people are setting for:

Advanced Iris
Reality Creation
Black Level Adjust
Clear White

Just wondering if there's a general consensus. Just watched a couple tv shows (justified, shameless), and was trying to mess with settings...kind of difficult because the source isn't the best....saw random spots of noise throughout, especially on dark scenes.. It seemed to me that advanced iris set to auto full was doing some strange things with shadows on faces comparing it to that setting off.

post #1427 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

My new Sony is reserved. This will replace my Qualia 004, which I bought when it was first released. It seems so long ago. After reading all of these posts I am still a little perplexed about which screen to choose. I have a reasonably light controlled room and a 19 ft throw distance. I am wanting a 10ft wide, 16:9 screen and am thinking of getting the ST 130. What do folks think of that choice for a screen?
post #1428 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Apocalyptic looked amazing. The 1000ES made us feel like we were in the forest!

post #1429 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Apocalyptic looked amazing. The 1000ES made us feel like we were in the forest!

Is that the follow up story to Apocalypto?

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #1430 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayFischer View Post

My new Sony is reserved. This will replace my Qualia 004, which I bought when it was first released. It seems so long ago. After reading all of these posts I am still a little perplexed about which screen to choose. I have a reasonably light controlled room and a 19 ft throw distance. I am wanting a 10ft wide, 16:9 screen and am thinking of getting the ST 130. What do folks think of that choice for a screen?

The ST130 will give you plenty of brightness at that size.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #1431 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Reality creation is interesting, still experimenting with the options and how other setting may interact. I did notice that even setting both resolution and noise filtering to 0 is still not the same as off.

With my HP screen, I'm finding the sweet spot so far with:

Lamp low
Iris auto limited
Contrast max
Brightness 53
Rc 20/20
Color temp custom 3 (gains r5, g-2, b-1; bias r0, g-1, b-1)
Sharpness 5
Smooth gradation low
Black level adjust low
Gamma correction off
Color correction off
Clear white off
Bt 709
Cms/gamma via lumagen
post #1432 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Reality creation is interesting, still experimenting with the options and how other setting may interact. I did notice that even setting both resolution and noise filtering to 0 is still not the same as off.

With my HP screen, I'm finding the sweet spot so far with:

Lamp low
Iris auto limited
Contrast max
Brightness 53
Rc 20/20
Color temp custom 3 (gains r5, g-2, b-1; bias r0, g-1, b-1)
Sharpness 5
Smooth gradation low
Black level adjust low
Gamma correction off
Color correction off
Clear white off
Bt 709
Cms/gamma via lumagen

Thanks Thrang. Helpful.

post #1433 of 10403 Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 PM

Liked: 20
Remember Thrang has gamma correction off because he is doing gamma through the Lumagen

Regarding contrast and brightness, one needs a test pattern. This simply can not be set correctly off of someone else's settings.

Black level adjust is very subtle and there is no right here. High gives the darkest blacks by a smidge but shifts the total look. I think best is off or low but it really doesn't make all that difference. Smooth gradation doesn't really affect most pictures. It does have a nor effect on brightness but playing with it a lot I can't really tell much difference.

I have repeatedly posted without any takers how much the BC settings are inter related and yes off is different than on 0/0 and on does tend to make things a little sharper which one can see by going on off etc. BUT ONE REALY NEEDS TO ADJUST THIS USING A TEST PATTERN.By eye on a picture it really is impossible to arrive at a specific setting. At best one can find a range of settings at best. If you use an on off pixel test pattern one can see the effect of these settings and many are not pretty. It resolution setting should be set so that certain lines aren't empasized and noise filtering must be sot so as to not introduce blotches and together the controls must be set to not produce banding orn a very noticeable pinkish cast. The Sony default of 20/00 gets me very close to the best pattern but clicking up the noise filtering a couoleof clicks appears slightly better. Just one click on either control can screw things up on the pattern. Don't cheat or be lazy trying to set this thing by eye watching picture content.
post #1434 of 10403 Old 02-27-2012, 02:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Is that the follow up story to Apocalypto?

Crap you caught my phone auto spelling again!

post #1435 of 10403 Old 02-27-2012, 04:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mike, thanks for the helpful tip. After reading this blog that is how I was leaning anyway. But reaffirmation is always nice!
post #1436 of 10403 Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Watched "Drive" last night - terrific looking movie! Despite good reviews my wife and I found it dreadfully slow with very little plot, certainly nothing original other than the director's pacing, but the movie looked soooo good. I read somewhere that the Alexa 4k cameras were used, and boy does it have great shadow detail and contrast. A great way to show off RC, too. I had RC on but at 0/0 and it improved everything without exaggerating anything too much. On the contrary, I watched the Revenge of the Sith Bluray the other night and never could decide whether to leave it on or off. Lots of scenes looked better, but faces took on a plastic look with up close shots that annoyed me.
post #1437 of 10403 Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotb777 View Post

i join the clube becouse of joerod

post #1438 of 10403 Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Do they provide free trials or money back guarantee?

If they don't do the above, then I think it is unfair to say "go and try it." We are not talking about a hamburger. If there is a lot of cost involved then we have an obligation to prove the value using science, demonstration, white papers, etc.

Lumagen does not, but we do except returns on these the first 15 days of ownership. Customer just pays the return shipping. We ship these to the lower 48 for $20 so we are talking very little money here. I have sold several of these and only one owner has ever returned one to me. He returned because his friend that owned one lost his job and needed to sell his. So my customer returned the one he bought from us and bought his friends.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #1439 of 10403 Old 02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I was at Mark's yesterday how well his new Snowmatte screen worked with the Sony. We watched standard Blu-ray (Contagion).

When I first saw the Sony on his StudoTek I was mightily impressed. However, the Snowmatte takes it to another level. I was gobsmacked by the amount of detail and apparent resolution we saw. We went back and forth between the Sony and Mark's Samsung DLP. There was a marked improvement with the Sony. I never thought that I would think that 1080p looked soft, but that's what the Samsung looked like in comparison.

I was very surprised by this. There was the same amount of actual resolution going to the Sony, but its scaling was able to create an illusion of more detail. It was not subtle and similar to going from DVD to Blu-ray.

Easily the best image quality I have ever seen.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1440 of 10403 Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I just got mine and all I can say is WOW! I am really impressed!

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page