AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

audiovideoholic,

This is actually a mount from Digital Projection. It uses a thicker 2" pipe instead of the normal 1 1/2". The silver piece in the picture, is an adapter to adapter down to the standard 1 1/2" pipe for the Sony.

I completely disagree with the comments that you shouldn't do it this way, or that it locks you in more permanently than a surfaced mounted device. That is not true.

If you notice in my pic, there is a white blank plate on the ceiling just behind the projector. That was where a 1 1/2" pipe was before, and where about 6 different projectors hung over the years. When I switched to the DP Highlite and then the 1000, both machines were bigger and the pipe had to be moved further out from the wall. I just put a blank plate over that hole.

If I had a mount surface-mounted to the ceiling, there would be probably 4 or so screw holes spread out over a much larger area, and far more difficult to deal with then one 1 1/2" hole.

I have attic access, so this was a no-brainer. All of the connections run right down the pipe, and the mount is way more stable because it sits on top of the trusses, and screws down from the top. So the entire weight of the projector and mount is resting on top of the truss, the screws just hold the mount from shifting around.

So if you have attic access, I wouldn't do it any other way. Its much easier to throw up one blank plate to cover one hole for the pipe, then trying to patch a ton of screw holes spread out over a larger area. And its just a super clean install.

I like how it rests on top of the ceiling joists. I was wondering how that part mechanically worked. I thought maybe it needed to be attatched between the joists which would have been a little harder (but still doable) with sheetrock already there. But if it just ties into the joists then that is very simple. I have thought about actually adding a pipe that is connected to my rafters that hangs down into the room or just above the drywall and then connecting whatever mounting hardware to that. This would almost completely decouple the projector and hardware from the room/ceiling joists. I'm really concerned with ceiling flex from bass and have added 10x the amount of drywall screws to the entire room plus extra troughs above the joists. I guess I'll need to see how the cheif hardware connects to the ceiling before making a decision as covering up the signs of a mount will be simple. I can stand above where the pj will be located to make any repairs in the attic, although I hope I keep this projector for many many years!!! I've never even thought about spending this much on a pj but its light output really sold me. I'm not like many of the 1000 owners that can actually afford to upgrade pjs at this price point when something very similar comes out but has a newer feature.

Thank you all for the replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

I would NOT do this. I have being doing installs for a long time, and this method will marry you to this sort of setup. But, basically there is a ceiling flange inside the drywall, which a pipe is threaded into. That comes down to the main mount (which you cannot see as it is on the projector and the angle won't show it). The drywall is finished around it.

Again, this essentially makes it permanent and should you ever want to change anything it will require a lot of fixing. Oh, the cables pass through the pipe...

+1

The geniuses who mounted a Sony VW50 this way in one of the rooms at my business did this. I just shook my head when I saw it after the fact. They also managed, using some 'el cheapo' mounting plate to angle the projector so it horizontally keystones! Super effort there on top. Def even worse scenario if this was in a home situ.

post #2013 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

+1

The geniuses who mounted a Sony VW50 this way in one of the rooms at my business did this. I just shook my head when I saw it after the fact. They also managed, using some 'el cheapo' mounting plate to angle the projector so it horizontally keystones! Super effort there on top. Def even worse scenario if this was in a home situ.

If you have above ceiling access like the owner of that mount, then this method is easy to relocate and repairing the old hole is also simple. If the joists run toward the screen, then relocation of the mount for any throw would be simple as long as the wiring reached. If you do not have above ceiling access then, I doubt that this is the mount for you.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #2014 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Couple more visitors hitting this afternoon. Then family night! Our 1000 is getting a good workout this weekend...

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #2015 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Couple more visitors hitting this afternoon. Then family night! Our 1000 is getting a good workout this weekend...

As often as you post about watching movies surely you are kinda like me and buy movies every Tuesday. When my wife first met me she laughed at the fact that I even knew release dates but now she knows when Tuesday rolls around that one of us will be at walmart.

I wish there was a bluebox. We have tried Blockbuster and Netflix with no luck, still have them both just wasting money. We havent used either since last summer.
post #2016 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I mentioned before I had a high pitch whine coming from my lamp and nobody seemed to share the experience. Anyway, I got my replacement yesterday and the whine is gone. Hopefully it won't come back. No banding or any issues on this projector, but I didn't have those on my last one either. Convergence was way better on this one OOTB, only a few minor adjustments.

1 hour on the lamp now...kind of a pain in the butt to do, but I guess now that its done I got a a 240 hour test drive on the 1000es before getting my new one

post #2017 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

As often as you post about watching movies surely you are kinda like me and buy movies every Tuesday. When my wife first met me she laughed at the fact that I even knew release dates but now she knows when Tuesday rolls around that one of us will be at walmart.

I wish there was a bluebox. We have tried Blockbuster and Netflix with no luck, still have them both just wasting money. We havent used either since last summer.

Oh yeah! New Release Tuesday.

I also use Amazon a lot.

post #2018 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

I mentioned before I had a high pitch whine coming from my lamp and nobody seemed to share the experience. Anyway, I got my replacement yesterday and the whine is gone. Hopefully it won't come back. No banding or any issues on this projector, but I didn't have those on my last one either. Convergence was way better on this one OOTB, only a few minor adjustments.

1 hour on the lamp now...kind of a pain in the butt to do, but I guess now that its done I got a a 240 hour test drive on the 1000es before getting my new one

Good ending which is actually the beginning...

post #2019 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

What do you mean bluebox? Redbox rents blurays....
post #2020 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

although I hope I keep this projector for many many years!!! I've never even thought about spending this much on a pj but its light output really sold me. I'm not like many of the 1000 owners that can actually afford to upgrade pjs at this price point when something very similar comes out but has a newer feature.

Thank you all for the replies!

Ha! I sold my Cadillac CTS-V to fund the 1000 and an overhaul / redesign of my theater room. The RS20 was my most expensive projector before this and I had stated a few times that I would not buy a bulb projector again, nor a projector over $10k. Sony made me a liar twice!
post #2021 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 05:11 PM

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

I think he means Blockbuster's Redbox-equivalent, which is blue in color.
post #2022 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Ha! I sold my Cadillac CTS-V to fund the 1000 and an overhaul / redesign of my theater room. The RS20 was my most expensive projector before this and I had stated a few times that I would not buy a bulb projector again, nor a projector over $10k. Sony made me a liar twice!

I relate to this (though I didn't have a Cadillac to sell), for I certainly spent more than I ever expected I would for a projector. Having kept my RS20 for 3 yrs, though, when I expected to get a new pj every 2 yrs, helped me rationalize springing for the VW1000. And I really am pleased. Should be satisfied for at least 3 more yrs, and then we'll see what's available.
post #2023 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LMAO. We are in the same boat man. I sold my Nissan GTR.
post #2024 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I want the release on its release day. Last time I used Netflix and Redbox there were a lot of movies that I would have to wait a month to rent. Thats when we decided to use Blockbuster online since there isnt one here in town but the wait time on most new releases was way too long for me. So, yes a blockbuster blubox would be great.
post #2025 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I relate to this (though I didn't have a Cadillac to sell), for I certainly spent more than I ever expected I would for a projector. Having kept my RS20 for 3 yrs, though, when I expected to get a new pj every 2 yrs, helped me rationalize springing for the VW1000. And I really am pleased. Should be satisfied for at least 3 more yrs, and then we'll see what's available.

As long as you make it to Cedia, everything will be fine.

I may be heading out to SF at the end of the month. Hopefully I can drop by and check out the set up.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #2026 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone find the magic combination yet for reality creation settings???

post #2027 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

As long as you make it to Cedia, everything will be fine.

I may be heading out to SF at the end of the month. Hopefully I can drop by and check out the set up.

It would be great to have you come by! Keep me posted on your plans.

Yes, I am planning to come to CEDIA in Sept (though I will be glad when it gets back to Denver after this year--much closer and a more pleasant location). Even though I'm not in the market for a new projector this yr, it will be be fun to see what is being offered. And one of my daughters and family live in Ann Arbor, so I will work in a visit with them at the same time.

It will be esp interesting to see if JVC has a full 4K pj by then, or whether they stay with e-shifting and try to milk that for a few years. (My first HD display, in '04 IIRC--replacing a ~15 yr old 19" trinitron--was a 61" Samsung rptv that using wobulation to get 1080p lite; everyone got very upset when they realized this, complaining that it was really only 540p.)
post #2028 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

It would be great to have you come by! Keep me posted on your plans.

Yes, I am planning to come to CEDIA in Sept (though I will be glad when it gets back to Denver after this year--much closer and a more pleasant location). Even though I'm not in the market for a new projector this yr, it will be be fun to see what is being offered. And one of my daughters and family live in Ann Arbor, so I will work in a visit with them at the same time.

It will be esp interesting to see if JVC has a full 4K pj by then, or whether they stay with e-shifting and try to milk that for a few years. (My first HD display, in '04 IIRC--replacing a ~15 yr old 19" trinitron--was a 61" Samsung rptv that using wobulation to get 1080p lite; everyone got very upset when they realized this, complaining that it was really only 540p.)

I have a feeling that JVC will try to improve motion and 3D, rather than offer a affordable 4K model. Since the cheapest now is $25K, its just hard to imagine in 6 months there will be one for under $10K from JVC with their excellent PQ. Sony do have the jump on JVC. I wonder if Sony will offer a 4K model under $10K, rather than JVC. Seems more likely it will be Sony to be the first.
post #2029 of 10413 Old 04-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
mookie my magic numbers for rc are 0/40 ref
post #2030 of 10413 Old 04-08-2012, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Has anybody some experience with the 1000ES and the Clear Pix 2 ( AT ) screen from Screen Research ?

I think most about the moire if it a problem ?! and maybe the min. distance you cant see the weave.

Do anybody have this combination or if not, why not ? ( if you HAVE seen them together ).

TIA

dj
post #2031 of 10413 Old 04-08-2012, 04:48 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Anyone find the magic combination yet for reality creation settings???

I suggest you put up an on off vertical pixel pattern and experiment. The noise control can really affect the pattern badly if set, let's call it, incorrectly.
Bill's 0, 40 works well. Watching content, the setting for RC really don't make a huge difference. Don't be afraid to experiment. Cranking the resolution up a bit may result in a better pixel line resolution. I set it 7,40 but onvce again the effect on PQ when viewing content is minimal.
post #2032 of 10413 Old 04-08-2012, 05:15 AM

Liked: 10
Maybe it won't be too long until JVC does a 4K with e-shift to 8K at CEDIA

Founder | BullsEye Calibration | www.bullseyecal.co.nz
post #2033 of 10413 Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

ARGH!! I just found another issue on my latest 1000, which I thought was perfect.... Last night as I was starting a movie and going through previews, when it would fade to black I noticed a green circle in the lower right quadrant of the screen. After investigating, I realized that the "circle" changed in size with the focus control. If I focused all the way out where the screen was way out of focus, the "circle" became very small and tight and in focus, and I saw quite a few slilghtly smaller ones all around the screen.... little bright green points. Are these the dust blob issue from other projectors I have read about?? I first thought it was dead pixels, but I would see those best with razor sharp focus, not way out of focus material....

Anything I can do about this? Or am I doomed to needing yet another swap?
post #2034 of 10413 Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
mark...there is a disadvantage to having a large screen..with rc noise set to off sometimes distant faces can appear somewhat rough and upping noise smooths it out. probably far less noticeable on a smaller screen. it seems to all depend on the transfer..also i am finding gamma at 2.0 looks good to me.. is that unusual? it'll be interesting to see what the darbee does to the equation
post #2035 of 10413 Old 04-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked: 45
Quote:

ARGH!! I just found another issue on my latest 1000, which I thought was perfect.... Last night as I was starting a movie and going through previews, when it would fade to black I noticed a green circle in the lower right quadrant of the screen. After investigating, I realized that the "circle" changed in size with the focus control. If I focused all the way out where the screen was way out of focus, the "circle" became very small and tight and in focus, and I saw quite a few slilghtly smaller ones all around the screen.... little bright green points. Are these the dust blob issue from other projectors I have read about?? I first thought it was dead pixels, but I would see those best with razor sharp focus, not way out of focus material....

Anything I can do about this? Or am I doomed to needing yet another swap?

Sounds exactly like a dust blob problem. I was hoping the 1000 would be mostly free of the issue, considering the sealed light path...
post #2036 of 10413 Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder how it happens if its sealed? There from the start and I just now noticed? I hope Sony considers this an issue worthy of a return. It will drive me nuts if not.
post #2037 of 10413 Old 04-08-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder how it happens if its sealed? There from the start and I just now noticed? I hope Sony considers this an issue worthy of a return. It will drive me nuts if not.

Wow! It seems non stop with these pjs. I hope I'm one of the lucky ones.

Surely it will be replaced. Its not like you could have gotten dust in there.
post #2038 of 10413 Old 04-08-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I took three pictures of the worst of the visible spots. The smallest dot is with the focus all the way "wrong" for the blurriest picture, and zoomed for the minimum screen size, but the spot gets sharpest this way. I took all pictures with a 25 second exposure. The smallest dot is the only one that looks a bit different in real life.. more like a sharp small line, but the pic shows up more like a circle. Maybe the camera is better than my eye, or maybe the shake of the mirror moving up is enough to change the shape of the object just a bit...but in any case, its REALLY small... but I can still see it from 15 feet away or more because its bright on the black screen. The other two are with the unit set for smallest screen (max zoom) with normal focus (medium sized blob), and then with my normal sized screen (133" diagonal for now) with normal focus (larger blob). I can also see the size change when the aperture opens and closes. It gets smaller when the aperture closes down.
LL
LL
LL
turls likes this.
post #2039 of 10413 Old 04-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I took three pictures of the worst of the visible spots. The smallest dot is with the focus all the way "wrong" for the blurriest picture, and zoomed for the minimum screen size, but the spot gets sharpest this way. I took all pictures with a 25 second exposure. The smallest dot is the only one that looks a bit different in real life.. more like a sharp small line, but the pic shows up more like a circle. Maybe the camera is better than my eye, or maybe the shake of the mirror moving up is enough to change the shape of the object just a bit...but in any case, its REALLY small... but I can still see it from 15 feet away or more because its bright on the black screen. The other two are with the unit set for smallest screen (max zoom) with normal focus (medium sized blob), and then with my normal sized screen (133" diagonal for now) with normal focus (larger blob). I can also see the size change when the aperture opens and closes. It gets smaller when the aperture closes down.

How many hours on this one?

post #2040 of 10413 Old 04-08-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How many hours on this one?

I will check on that next time its on. Less than 25.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page